Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Pauno out

by paultheroyal » 24 Jan 2022 09:01

He's gone today, surely?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jan 2022 09:06

I think Gomes was referring to the team when he first arrived rather than what he ended up with when we managed to get to safety. I also think he was referencing after the Swansea game, admittedly strange considering that was his 3rd (I think?) game in charge by that point.

I can kind of see where he was coming from after the Swansea game, 23rd and 5 points adrift from safety but then again you can't make it up to suit his narrative, he had to take it from his first game which I believe was either QPR or Millwall away at Christmas time (even though our position likely wasn't much better).

Although agree with the points as a whole, the side we ended up with wasn't a League One side by any means, but I can see where he was coming from as we were lacking in quite a few areas after the Swansea game and it looked as if we could have been heading down. I don't think fans believe we would have been "preparing" for life in League One in January, probably not the board either, but I can imagine the board had discussions about a plan, of sorts, should the club have been relegated.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 24 Jan 2022 09:15

Love to know whether its finances versus sacking or just pure stubbornness or that Pauno has the agent linked to the club.

With our wage bill already heavily reduced, surely he can be placed on garden leave and £100k found to appoint Warnock till the end of the season with a bonus. That is what is really grating me above anything. For me, the likes of Warnock would keep this team in the division. Make it happen!!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 24 Jan 2022 09:25

Here's a question - sign Andy Carroll for whatever he is worth per week or sack the manager, pay off and replace?

I cant fathom how we seem to be in a position where we are talking about still getting Carroll in when plenty on here are saying we cant afford to sack Pauno.

So you have a choice - Carroll in or Pauno out?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jan 2022 09:37

YorkshireRoyal99 I think Gomes was referring to the team when he first arrived rather than what he ended up with when we managed to get to safety. I also think he was referencing after the Swansea game, admittedly strange considering that was his 3rd (I think?) game in charge by that point.

I can kind of see where he was coming from after the Swansea game, 23rd and 5 points adrift from safety but then again you can't make it up to suit his narrative, he had to take it from his first game which I believe was either QPR or Millwall away at Christmas time (even though our position likely wasn't much better).

Although agree with the points as a whole, the side we ended up with wasn't a League One side by any means, but I can see where he was coming from as we were lacking in quite a few areas after the Swansea game and it looked as if we could have been heading down. I don't think fans believe we would have been "preparing" for life in League One in January, probably not the board either, but I can imagine the board had discussions about a plan, of sorts, should the club have been relegated.

But think thats the point - he can't claim the board etc were resigned to L1 when we then go out and get those players a few weeks later on

I'd actually bloody hope the board also were making some sort of prep for L1 though considering the position we were in.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jan 2022 09:39

Well at the moment I'd have Carroll in. Hopefully we can continue to move a couple of players on as we go though so we can bring in who we need to bring in.

I've always thought if the EFL will not let us sack the manager due to the financial constraints on the club than that's pretty poor going by them really.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jan 2022 09:39

paultheroyal Here's a question - sign Andy Carroll for whatever he is worth per week or sack the manager, pay off and replace?

I cant fathom how we seem to be in a position where we are talking about still getting Carroll in when plenty on here are saying we cant afford to sack Pauno.

I suspect its a 'technical issue' as Pauno himself might say. We've binned of Rafael, and I suspect his wage was equal if not more than any incoming manger. Its probably just something they need to get some sort of sign of from the EFL to do

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jan 2022 09:40

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99 I think Gomes was referring to the team when he first arrived rather than what he ended up with when we managed to get to safety. I also think he was referencing after the Swansea game, admittedly strange considering that was his 3rd (I think?) game in charge by that point.

But think thats the point - he can't claim the board etc were resigned to L1 when we then go out and get those players a few weeks later on

I'd actually bloody hope the board also were making some sort of prep for L1 though considering the position we were in.

I suppose it depends on the conversations regarding transfers between his appointment and at the end of the window and who was involved as well. It may have been the case at the time of his appointment, but at the end of the window it may have taken a different outlook, for instance.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2022 10:11

paultheroyal Here's a question - sign Andy Carroll for whatever he is worth per week or sack the manager, pay off and replace?

Sack Pauno

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2022 10:14

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound

I suppose it depends on the conversations regarding transfers between his appointment and at the end of the window and who was involved as well. It may have been the case at the time of his appointment, but at the end of the window it may have taken a different outlook, for instance.

There's no way those loans weren't being considered before he arrived

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 24 Jan 2022 10:15

Snowflake Royal

Sack Pauno

Wouldn't even sack him tbh. I'd put him and his staff on gardening leave and bring Gilkes in to look after the team until the end of the season. Club saves a couple of hundred thousand and we get rid of Paunovic from the dugout. Win/win.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jan 2022 10:46

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Hound

There's no way those loans weren't being considered before he arrived

I'm not suggesting that they weren't, however there will have also been other players looked at as well during this time, maybe Gomes had an influence on pushing for those players which pushed Kia and co into a decision, those conversations we just don't know.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Jan 2022 11:02

Snowflake Royal Disclaimer, positions and points may not have been copied across exactly because I was tired, but the theme is right.

Early night tonight x

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Jan 2022 18:25

No longer Pauno out, as I now realise it's all Moore's and Southwood's fault.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 24 Jan 2022 18:32

Millsy No longer Pauno out, as I now realise it's all Moore's and Southwood's fault.

I'm pinning it on Ejaria. He cost us points when he played and now he's been costing points by not playing.

Bloke's a menace.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Jan 2022 18:35

Vision
Millsy No longer Pauno out, as I now realise it's all Moore's and Southwood's fault.

I'm pinning it on Ejaria. He cost us points when he played and now he's been costing points by not playing.

Bloke's a menace.

Mind. Blown.

I think you've cracked it!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2022 18:36

I'm not looking forward to him coming back in.

I'd like to see someone watch our first goal against Huddersfield and tell me with a straight face we'd have scored it with Ejaria over on the left wing.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 24 Jan 2022 18:48

Snowflake Royal I'm not looking forward to him coming back in.

I'd like to see someone watch our first goal against Huddersfield and tell me with a straight face we'd have scored it with Ejaria over on the left wing.

Many occasions where he interchanged with Richards in the first half of last season to good effect. The run has to be there. The issue with Ejaria isn't necessarily that he doesn't pass the ball early enough (there are times when he doesn't of course but you could say that about Swift,Hal,TDB and pretty much all of our players) it's how slowly he dribbles with it.

Also worth noting that Swift is rarely the same player when Ejaria's not there.

And to be honest there have been times in the last few weeks when I'd have killed to have someone take an extra touch or two on the ball in the opposition half.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 24 Jan 2022 18:51

[quote="Snowflake Royal"]I'm not looking forward to him coming back in.

I'd like to see someone watch our first goal against Huddersfield and tell me with a straight face we'd have scored it with Ejaria over on the left wing.[/quote]

Maybe if you went to a game once in a while you'd see the whole pitch and how sides double up on him as he worries them. It's up to the other players to make the most of the space he creates.

How many points have we got since he's been out?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Jan 2022 18:56

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal I'm not looking forward to him coming back in.

Maybe if you went to a game once in a while you'd see the whole pitch and how sides double up on him as he worries them. It's up to the other players to make the most of the space he creates.

How many points have we got since he's been out?

We seem to score more goals when Ejaria is absent but also concede a fair few more too. Whether that’s a coincidence is up for discussion, his defensive work is fairly impressive but he’s been non existent offensively

Would probably prefer him to TDB who seems to have taken over his role during his injury

3542 posts