This thread is a oxf*rd car crash and some of the opinions are shocking :lol:

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Pauno out

by Sanguine » 05 May 2021 08:25

Hendo
Brogue
Sanguine
That's because fans are for the most part short-termist dickheads.

you really are a nice person arent you? as per leons comment earlier on this thread directed at Ian just because you have a different opinion to someone that doesn't call for you abusing people :roll: .

Tbf, I think Sanguine was lumping in a good portion of fans, worldwide, not just a few Reading fans.

I would agree with him as well.

This. A lot of fans here bemoan football for what it is today. For a large part it is what it is because fans have well and truly signed up for it. Even a discussion about sacking a Reading manager set for a 7th or 8th place finish in his first season at the club is entitled nonsense. Add in that Pauno has had no money to spend and it just becomes laughable.

Promotion or bust. The Reading (fans) way. Or for a lot of them, anyway.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 05 May 2021 08:30

Brogue
leon Nips in to thread to see Sanguine still insulting people who disagree with him, like the mature adult he is.

Nips out again.

Oh and the notion of leon lecturing anyone on being rude is brilliant.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 May 2021 08:37

Sanguine
Brogue
leon Nips in to thread to see Sanguine still insulting people who disagree with him, like the mature adult he is.

Nips out again.

Oh and the notion of leon lecturing anyone on being rude is brilliant.

I know.That’s how I describe it.

Brilliant.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2021 09:55

Snowball
Brogue
Snowball If a manager won the first 35 games, then lost 10 and drew one (106 points)

would he be sackable?

Surely a manager should be judged on the team's 46-game total and position?

:| But we haven’t won our first 35 games. And if that were true then no manger would ever be sacked mid season. To reverse that say we won our first 10 but lost our next 36 we wouldn’t sack the manger because we would wait for the 46th game to judge him despite being bottom of the league?

We are SEVENTH after 45 games and worst-case scenario is 8th. If we win Saturday we will be on 72 points and 7th, about the fifth/sixth best finish in our history.

8th Premier league
Relegated Premier League
Champions
Champions
2nd but not promoted
Losing PO Finalists
7th

oxf*rd me snowball, call yourself a Reading fan?

1) 8th in PL
2) Relegated PL
3) Relegated PL
4) Champions
5) Champions
6) POF losers - Bolton
7) POF losers - Huddersfield
8) POF losers - Swansea
9) POSF losers
10) POSF losers
11) 7th - Coppell
12) 7th - Adkins
13) 7th / 8th Paunovic

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 05 May 2021 10:02

Snowflake Royal
Snowball
Brogue
:| But we haven’t won our first 35 games. And if that were true then no manger would ever be sacked mid season. To reverse that say we won our first 10 but lost our next 36 we wouldn’t sack the manger because we would wait for the 46th game to judge him despite being bottom of the league?

We are SEVENTH after 45 games and worst-case scenario is 8th. If we win Saturday we will be on 72 points and 7th, about the fifth/sixth best finish in our history.

8th Premier league
Relegated Premier League
Champions
Champions
2nd but not promoted
Losing PO Finalists
7th

oxf*rd me snowball, call yourself a Reading fan?

1) 8th in PL
2) Relegated PL
3) Relegated PL
4) Champions
5) Champions
6) POF losers - Bolton
7) POF losers - Huddersfield
8) POF losers - Swansea
9) POSF losers
10) POSF losers
11) 7th - Coppell
12) 7th - Adkins
13) 7th / 8th Paunovic

Guess we've found another Swansea fan :roll:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2021 10:07

Zip
Elm Park Kid
Zip
Losing play off finalists in the Championship x 3.
Losing play off semi finalists in the Championship x2
Just missing out on the play offs in the final seconds of the League season x 1
Relegated from PL second time around

It’s certainly not our 5th or 6th best finish on our history. It’s not quite top ten.

Is getting relegated from the PL really a 'better finish' than 7th in the Championship?

I'm absolutely certain that I could manage Reading to relegation from the PL in one season. I'm not sure I could manage us to the 7th place finish in Championship.

Yes it’s still in the top 20 ergo a better finish than 7th in the Championship.Besides even if you take out to the two PL relegations we still have..

8th in the PL
Champions x2
Championship PO finals x3
Championship PO semi finals x2
Just finishing outside PO’s in final seconds of the season

So this is our 10th best finish if you don’t include the PL relegation seasons.

Coppell finished 7th once didn't he?

My phone's gone weird so I couldn't fact check

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 May 2021 10:16

Brogue
Sanguine It's pretty embarassing that in a season where we finish 7th/8th, this 'Pauno out' thread has reached 13 pages. What a load of dribbling nonsense.

disagree, irrespective of what sort of season we've had. 1 win in 11? There wouldn't be a club in the country that wouldn't have a proportion of fans calling for the manager's head.

I seems that the fans who want him to stay are being swayed by his first 8 games, which was quite clearly a honeymoon period and the new manager bounce phenomenon that happens in football

I don't think you can write something off as a 'new manager bounce' or 'honeymoon period'. Its just as relevant as anything else. I'm not even sure such a phenomenon exists

In fact that start considering he was parachuted in at the last moment was extra impressive.

He's clearly got things wrong recently, no doubts. But it wasn't an easy run, we haven't actually lost many of them- just not been able to turn draws into wins as much as anything. Definitely some attacking flair and fluidity gone - but there could be many reasons for that

Its been a tough season - lots of injuries, no ability to sign anyone, he's managed to get some sort of tune out of players on big wages who are about to be released, Barnsley had a ridiculous run.

Honestly, 7th place is a pretty decent return. We'd probably have all taken that start of the season.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 05 May 2021 10:38

New manager bounce is nonsense, how did Sheffield Wednesday and WBA do when they got the new bosses in?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 05 May 2021 10:42

Yeah, if new manager bounce was a thing we should change manager every week, or at least sack the manager after every defeat

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 May 2021 10:53

I used to drive to South Wales to watch my football but when I stopped FT work and lost free petrol etc I couldn't afford the round trip any more so I had to step down and start watching Reading (2006-07)

My son was keen on Reading, had never been stupid enough to WANT to watch Newport County, despite, obviously, NCAFC being a FAR better club than RFC 1871.

So my knowledge of Reading starts with a partial awareness (at the time) of the 2005-06 triumphs, and I tend to look at the Murty+ era onwards for "my knowledge".

I'm sure RFC once beat Lickspittle Academicals with a last-minute goal in some cup named after a donkey or something, but "my" RFC is all this century.

It's kinda funny how once finishing 3rd was a failure, but now 3rd/4th/5th/6th ISN'T a failure even though three teams finishing in those positions DO ultimately fail. It's kinda funny that Barnsley are stratospherically more successful than RFC this season because they are 6th instead of seventh, even in Brentford beat them 4-0 and 0-2 in the POs and next season they are bottom-six.

While I like the PO's and a second chance, and getting to Wembley for our annual thrashing is almost worth it, I still think the PO's are a bit of extra bollicks.

Seventh, this season, is a great achievement and the knee-jerkers who can't count past 11 and all the way to 46, can go do one.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 May 2021 10:54

Silver Fox Yeah, if new manager bounce was a thing we should change manager every week, or at least sack the manager after every defeat

You could be on to something.

They should make it an FA Rule

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 May 2021 11:14

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Elm Park Kid
Is getting relegated from the PL really a 'better finish' than 7th in the Championship?

I'm absolutely certain that I could manage Reading to relegation from the PL in one season. I'm not sure I could manage us to the 7th place finish in Championship.

Yes it’s still in the top 20 ergo a better finish than 7th in the Championship.Besides even if you take out to the two PL relegations we still have..

8th in the PL
Champions x2

Yep the season before we got promoted but I would put that season on a par with this one unless we manage to finish below Cardiff on Saturday.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 May 2021 11:29

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

8th in the PL
Champions x2

Yep the season before we got promoted but I would put that season on a par with this one unless we manage to finish below Cardiff on Saturday.

So will we get 107 points next season?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 05 May 2021 11:34

Why wouldn`t you include the PL relegation seasons?, even though we went down they still qualify as the the highest placings in our history.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 May 2021 11:43

windermereROYAL Why wouldn`t you include the PL relegation seasons?, even though we went down they still qualify as the the highest placings in our history.

Well quite.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2021 12:05

Zip
windermereROYAL Why wouldn`t you include the PL relegation seasons?, even though we went down they still qualify as the the highest placings in our history.

Well quite.

Think it probably depends a bit on whether you mean highest placed in the league or most successful and enjoyable.

Hard to describe losing most weeks and being relegated as a successful just because you got promoted the season before.

And of course you could make a good argument that winning the Simod cup makes a season better than being relegated from the PL. Hell, FA Cup semi too.

So it's just a question of exactly what you mean with it... either is equally valid IMO.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 May 2021 12:11

Zip

Well quite.

While true that the club is/was "at a higher position in the league"

Try reducing it to this

If Reading went up and lost 38/38 games would you really say that was
a better season than winning the Championship with 106 points?

Of course not. Position in the pyramid is not the only criteria.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 May 2021 13:19

windermereROYAL New manager bounce is nonsense, how did Sheffield Wednesday and WBA do when they got the new bosses in?

Just because it may/may not be a thing doesn't always mean it's applicable. You'll pretty much always find contrary evidence to the norm

Whether ours was/wasn't is another thing mind

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 May 2021 13:23

Hound
Brogue
Sanguine It's pretty embarassing that in a season where we finish 7th/8th, this 'Pauno out' thread has reached 13 pages. What a load of dribbling nonsense.

disagree, irrespective of what sort of season we've had. 1 win in 11? There wouldn't be a club in the country that wouldn't have a proportion of fans calling for the manager's head.

I seems that the fans who want him to stay are being swayed by his first 8 games, which was quite clearly a honeymoon period and the new manager bounce phenomenon that happens in football

I don't think you can write something off as a 'new manager bounce' or 'honeymoon period'. Its just as relevant as anything else. I'm not even sure such a phenomenon exists

In fact that start considering he was parachuted in at the last moment was extra impressive.

He's clearly got things wrong recently, no doubts. But it wasn't an easy run, we haven't actually lost many of them- just not been able to turn draws into wins as much as anything. Definitely some attacking flair and fluidity gone - but there could be many reasons for that

Its been a tough season - lots of injuries, no ability to sign anyone, he's managed to get some sort of tune out of players on big wages who are about to be released, Barnsley had a ridiculous run.

Honestly, 7th place is a pretty decent return. We'd probably have all taken that start of the season.

Which is to be expected - every manager will get things wrong

What is extremely frustrating is that he didn't learn from the things that he'd got wrong. The midfield three of Laurent, Rinomhota and Semedo for example, how many times was that trio put out to little effect?

3542 posts