3542 posts
Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Pauno out

by Brogue » 25 Nov 2021 10:05

Hound
Brogue Daniel Farke please

lolz like that would happen

exactly the same response when I suggested Chris wilder at the beginning of this thread, and he's ended up at a mid-table champ team.

He's not getting a prem job, he can go back to Germany or he will be looking for another championship team. No reason why they couldn't/wouldn't be us

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 Nov 2021 10:06

Brogue
Hound
Brogue Daniel Farke please

exactly the same response when I suggested Chris wilder at the beginning of this thread, and he's ended up at a mid-table champ team.

He's not getting a prem job, he can go back to Germany or he will be looking for another championship team. No reason why they couldn't/wouldn't be us

I don't think our status is the issue. It would be what we can offer in terms of wage and transfer funds. He has had a pretty easy ride financially at Norwich thanks to them yo-yoing for the past 4 seasons.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 25 Nov 2021 10:10

NathStPaul
Brogue
Hound

I don't think our status is the issue. It would be what we can offer in terms of wage and transfer funds. He has had a pretty easy ride financially at Norwich thanks to them yo-yoing for the past 4 seasons.

Yes, I can see that, but he might be waiting for a while for a champ club to come along to meet his needs. The big three of fulham Bournemouth and West Brom are doing well, so I'm not expecting a vacancy arises there anytime soon. Then the rest of the division is pretty much a level playing field.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 Nov 2021 10:11

Brogue
NathStPaul
Brogue

Yes, I can see that, but he might be waiting for a while for a champ club to come along to meet his needs. The big three of fulham Bournemouth and West Brom are doing well, so I'm not expecting a vacancy arises there anytime soon. Then the rest of the division is pretty much a level playing field.

I can see Sheffield United nabbing him.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Nov 2021 10:16

NathStPaul
Brogue
NathStPaul I don't think our status is the issue. It would be what we can offer in terms of wage and transfer funds. He has had a pretty easy ride financially at Norwich thanks to them yo-yoing for the past 4 seasons.

I can see Sheffield United nabbing him.

Middlesboro are in a better position than us with more potential

Farke is going to a Bundesliga club from what I hear

tbf to him, Norwich were in all sorts of shit financially when he took over. Got them promoted based on some great freebies (Pukki) and some very good youth coming through

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Nov 2021 10:21

morganb
Millsy Funny how the anger directed at Pauno has taken a quantum leap up as our points deduction has come in, like he's at fault for that.

Funny how the anger directed at Pauno has taken a quantum leap up after two winnable home games have returned a solitary 1 point.

I think the 6 points deduction was seen as two wins and they were going to come straight away in the next two games. They didn't. Pauno out.

This.

I can’t think of too many clubs where he wouldn’t have gone yet.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 Nov 2021 10:35

CountryRoyal
morganb
Millsy Funny how the anger directed at Pauno has taken a quantum leap up as our points deduction has come in, like he's at fault for that.

Funny how the anger directed at Pauno has taken a quantum leap up after two winnable home games have returned a solitary 1 point.

I think the 6 points deduction was seen as two wins and they were going to come straight away in the next two games. They didn't. Pauno out.

This.

It is the nature of how we lose games that makes me lean towards wanting Paunovic out. Had we gone for it against Sheffield United and hit the post a couple of times, put them under pressure etc we would all be sitting here saying we were unlucky and gave it a good go. I think anyone sensible can accept losing games of football in the Championship but how you lose is the issue. On Tuesday we were negative, fearful and static. Looked devoid of ideas for the entire 103 minutes and never looked like scoring a goal. The manager changed nothing until the 90th minute, it was pathetic. That is what has led to the increased calls for him to leave IMO.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Nov 2021 10:39

NathStPaul
CountryRoyal
morganb

This.

It is the nature of how we lose games that makes me lean towards wanting Paunovic out. Had we gone for it against Sheffield United and hit the post a couple of times, put them under pressure etc we would all be sitting here saying we were unlucky and gave it a good go. I think anyone sensible can accept losing games of football in the Championship but how you lose is the issue. On Tuesday we were negative, fearful and static. Looked devoid of ideas for the entire 103 minutes and never looked like scoring a goal. The manager changed nothing until the 90th minute, it was pathetic. That is what has led to the increased calls for him to leave IMO.

Thats not quite right though, is it? Seeing as he bought AC on at 59 mins and went with 2 upfront.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 Nov 2021 10:43

Hendo
NathStPaul
CountryRoyal
This.

Thats not quite right though, is it? Seeing as he bought AC on at 59 mins and went with 2 upfront.

I thought Puscas just went out wide at that point? Either way there was no change in approach to the game, no urgency. The change in the 90th minute was the only sign of urgency shown by the manager. His response was to put Liam Moore upfront. :roll:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Nov 2021 10:54

NathStPaul
Hendo
NathStPaul It is the nature of how we lose games that makes me lean towards wanting Paunovic out. Had we gone for it against Sheffield United and hit the post a couple of times, put them under pressure etc we would all be sitting here saying we were unlucky and gave it a good go. I think anyone sensible can accept losing games of football in the Championship but how you lose is the issue. On Tuesday we were negative, fearful and static. Looked devoid of ideas for the entire 103 minutes and never looked like scoring a goal. The manager changed nothing until the 90th minute, it was pathetic. That is what has led to the increased calls for him to leave IMO.

I thought Puscas just went out wide at that point? Either way there was no change in approach to the game, no urgency. The change in the 90th minute was the only sign of urgency shown by the manager. His response was to put Liam Moore upfront. :roll:

agree to an extent. the lack of urgency or really looking we had a clue how to get back in was damning

likewise I'm pretty on the fence about him - been dealt a difficult hand and done fairly well at times. It was a pretty desperate performance though, and there have certainly been far too many of them. You can't basically choose not to attack until Carroll comes on, against a not very good team at that.

For me he has a few weeks with the fitter squad for me to make my mind up either way (not that that in itself makes the slightest bit of difference)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Nov 2021 11:44

NathStPaul
CountryRoyal
morganb

This.

Lost faith in him after the Cardiff and Luton must win double header last season. We were abject in both games and he did absolutely nothing to change it until it was too late in both games (triple sub in the 90th minute, come on). Benefit of the doubt was given at the time but the tactical mishaps were seemingly the norm, rather than the exception

Tip of the iceberg was the Sheffield performance though, nothing convincing in the team. Attendances reflecting the general apathy. He needs to go

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 Nov 2021 11:47

URZZZZ
NathStPaul
CountryRoyal
This.

Lost faith in him after the Cardiff and Luton must win double header last season. We were abject in both games and he did absolutely nothing to change it until it was too late in both games (triple sub in the 90th minute, come on). Benefit of the doubt was given at the time but the tactical mishaps were seemingly the norm, rather than the exception

Tip of the iceberg was the Sheffield performance though, nothing convincing in the team. Attendances reflecting the general apathy. He needs to go

The way we are now reminds me of the bleak times at the end of the Stam era. We are playing with that same lethargy and glacial pace. Now the squad is in a better shape in terms of experienced pros available he has no exucses anymore, it is all on him.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Nov 2021 11:48

Sanguine
Horsham Royal
Sanguine Something weird happens to wingers at Reading. Or, specifically I'm thinking about Gareth McAuley. Maybe it's that, the McAuley effect. We signed one of the fastest and most skilful wingers of our level, and he spent years not running very fast, and not taking players on.

Oh for the days of Murty and Forster bombing up and down the right-hand side. Sometimes they even did an overlap. :shock:

Pprolly cos he was a cb ...

Ugh. See. McCleary was so unlike the player that he should have been, I confused him with a West Brom defender!

Think it’s a tad harsh, thought he was pretty direct and dangerous for his first few seasons here. Almost had a telepathic relationship with Gunter too

Something happened and his form fell off a cliff around 2017. And that’s, as you say, when he stopped taking players on or to be honest, doing anything meaningful. Was a waste of a shirt for the last couple of years

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Nov 2021 11:50

URZZZZ
NathStPaul
CountryRoyal
This.

Exactly. It’s not just this season. How many “must win games” did we have last season as we watched us free fall out of the playoffs when we we’re odds on all season. When we needed something and the approach was negative and static, reactionary and inadequate. It was unforgivable then but everyone lapped it up because “7th was still the best we’ve finished in ages”. Now people are starting to see what we saw, it’s just a dying shame we’ve had to waste an entire season to get there - not to mention it could still get worse.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Nov 2021 11:55

NathStPaul
URZZZZ
NathStPaul It is the nature of how we lose games that makes me lean towards wanting Paunovic out. Had we gone for it against Sheffield United and hit the post a couple of times, put them under pressure etc we would all be sitting here saying we were unlucky and gave it a good go. I think anyone sensible can accept losing games of football in the Championship but how you lose is the issue. On Tuesday we were negative, fearful and static. Looked devoid of ideas for the entire 103 minutes and never looked like scoring a goal. The manager changed nothing until the 90th minute, it was pathetic. That is what has led to the increased calls for him to leave IMO.

The way we are now reminds me of the bleak times at the end of the Stam era. We are playing with that same lethargy and glacial pace. Now the squad is in a better shape in terms of experienced pros available he has no exucses anymore, it is all on him.

It’s a point I said a while back though. There were plenty of occasions last season where we had options to change things around. Sure, Esteves, Semedo, Aluko, Baldock and Puscas as subs aren’t exactly pulse racing but there’s enough there to change things around when it isn’t working. And he just never did. So what convinces people he’ll do the same thing now

Can see the Stam comparisons although we haven’t quite hit that level yet

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 Nov 2021 11:59

URZZZZ
NathStPaul
URZZZZ

It’s a point I said a while back though. There were plenty of occasions last season where we had options to change things around. Sure, Esteves, Semedo, Aluko, Baldock and Puscas as subs aren’t exactly pulse racing but there’s enough there to change things around when it isn’t working. And he just never did. So what convinces people he’ll do the same thing now

Can see the Stam comparisons although we haven’t quite hit that level yet

Oh we aren't that bad yet but it is getting there, the entertainment value is certainly non existent. He is very Jaap Stam-esque in his stubborness to make changes during a game.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Nov 2021 12:03

I think you forget how dull some of the Stam football became - the horrendous slow back and forth across the back 4. Don't think we are close to that yet, but granted we were dismally poor on Tuesday - and in other games as well. At least we seem to have other gears now, just we don't consistently use them

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Nov 2021 12:06

CountryRoyal It was unforgivable then but everyone lapped it up because “7th was still the best we’ve finished in ages”. Now people are starting to see what we saw, it’s just a dying shame we’ve had to waste an entire season to get there - not to mention it could still get worse.

I don't think its a case of 'i told you so' here - 7th last season was still a fine achievement, however you wish to dress it up. We saw some of the best football we'd seen in years as well in games like Blackburn away and Bournemouth

I think we are saw the warning signs in games like Wycombe and Cardiff, esp when they kept happening.

He needed to build on last season this year, and it has been a struggle with injuries, but definitely the mindset in some games, and the poor decisions round team selection and subs is pretty damning to the point I've certainly lost a lot of faith at least.

Still reckon he'll get to basically the end of the season, keep us up fairly comfortably and then prob be on his way

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Nov 2021 12:10

Hound I think you forget how dull some of the Stam football became - the horrendous slow back and forth across the back 4. Don't think we are close to that yet, but granted we were dismally poor on Tuesday - and in other games as well. At least we seem to have other gears now, just we don't consistently use them

How dissimilar is it now? I personally still see that slow passing around the back four. Sure, it’s slightly more progressive but not to a great extent

Just look at some of the games since the start of October and the amount of shots we’ve had:
Cardiff - 2 shots (1 on target)
Blackpool - 4 shots (3 on target)
Bournemouth - 9 shots (1 on target)
Millwall - 9 shots (0 on target)
Sheffield - 6 shots (2 on target)

Can add Blackburn (2 shots on target) to that list too although at least we got double figures for shots. You don’t win games of football regularly enough with stats like that

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 Nov 2021 12:14

URZZZZ
Hound I think you forget how dull some of the Stam football became - the horrendous slow back and forth across the back 4. Don't think we are close to that yet, but granted we were dismally poor on Tuesday - and in other games as well. At least we seem to have other gears now, just we don't consistently use them

How dissimilar is it now? I personally still see that slow passing around the back four. Sure, it’s slightly more progressive but not to a great extent

Just look at some of the games since the start of October and the amount of shots we’ve had:
Cardiff - 2 shots (1 on target)
Blackpool - 4 shots (3 on target)
Bournemouth - 9 shots (1 on target)
Millwall - 9 shots (0 on target)
Sheffield - 6 shots (2 on target)

Can add Blackburn (2 shots on target) to that list too although at least we got double figures for shots. You don’t win games of football regularly enough with stats like that

I think Hound is saying we try to be more direct than under Stam, which is true. We do end up creating about the same amount of clear cut chances as in the Stam era though. We are woefully poor in regards to creating chances for our strikers, have been for a while.

3542 posts