Pauno out

3542 posts
leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Pauno out

by leon » 20 Jan 2022 08:08

Snowflake Royal
leon
Snowflake Royal We've got a lot worse and didn't have an excellent start to the season propping us up.

I'll happily say it again. You saw it before most of us. You got 8t right that he's a charlatan. Still think you simply cannot sack a manager at the time you wanted and be a decently run club.

Which we're not anyway, but hey ho.

So “yes Brogue you were right in calling this early but actually I’m more right.”

Classic Ian.

Deal with it.

No I’ll just continue to take the piss out of you, thanks.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2022 08:11

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
leon
So “yes Brogue you were right in calling this early but actually I’m more right.”

Classic Ian.

Just never going to accept it's right to sack someone based on such a short period of poor performance next to previously good performance.

Deal with it.

“Such a short period of poor performance” - we picked up 23 points from the last 20 games last season. With that being nearly 50% of the entire season, I’m not sure you can equate that as “such a short period” but each to their own

I also don’t recall many good performances even during the winning run. We were extremely clinical but that isn’t a sustainable base to build foundations on if you’re relying on pretty much scoring every shot. We had a few decent performances under Paunovic last season, the likes of Blackburn, Bristol and Bournemouth but not many

You could simplify the view to never sack a manager in their first season if there's any positives and you're not in danger of relegation.

By the end of the season it was half a season. But always worth giving a fresh go at the new one to give a chance to improve.

Regardless, he's failed miserably. Showing hes a total fraud and the start of the season last year was all down to Bowen and O'Shea.

And of course, he'd have never got the job if half of us had been in charge.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2022 08:37

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip

He is a disaster. The style of play is dismal and tedious. He fluked the start of last season. He hasn’t got a oxf*rd clue.

Last season, we had game changers like Olise, Joao and Meite, who could create things from nothing and take the game by the scruff of the neck. So even when we were playing poorly, you knew we always had a chance. They tired (lost interest?) towards the end of last season and we had no clue what to do

The ending to last season has become a recurring theme for this season. We have so many lightweight, average midfielders who offer so little in the current system. They may offer more in another system but we’ll never know with him in charge. Within this, I’m talking about Puscas, Ejaria, Dele-Bashiru, Drinkwater, Swift the last couple of months, even Halilovic at times. I really dislike how narrow we play

Yep. It’s idiotic. There was a phase of play in the second involving three players in Luton’s half. They were clustered together over by the East stand making really short passes to each other. They were putting themselves under pressure with every pass and inevitably the move broke down.
When the ball finally went wide in an attacking position we had no one capable of beating their man on the outside. There is no pace in this side.

Jnr also made a good point last night in that we are so slow to move from one side of the pitch to the other both with the ball and without it. So many times this season our opponents get the ball out wide in an attacking position within a few passes. It takes our lot an age to do likewise.
The lack of movement is shocking. You would see more movement on a Saga day trip.

Pauno won’t change. He is too stubborn, inflexible and arrogant.

Yep, the whole system doesn't work. Apparently the pitch is poor as well, which makes the style we are trying even more of an issue

I don't think we are a slow side as such - TDB, Joao, Azeez, Ejaria, Hoilett, the FBs, even Swift and Laurent have a bit of pace about them. You don't need to be lightning quick. Its the negativity, and the 'safe' play

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Jan 2022 08:48

Brogue I wonder if there are any Pauno in’s still??
Jaeger?
Sciag ?

Another poll?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 20 Jan 2022 08:48

I've never hated a manager as much as I hate Pauno. I just want him gone. No fans want him here so I dont know how we can manage the team any longer. The players have picked up on it as well and performances have got far worse.

JR

by JR » 20 Jan 2022 09:14

The most compelling reason for change is that it’s not a lost cause.

The bottom of the championship this year is dreadful - Peterborough and Barnsley fans will also feel doomed and Derby are swimming against an ever increasing tide.

So actually get the right man in with championship experience and it’s a relatively easy save as we have by far the best squad of the four.

However, they’ll leave it too late and the end they will replace with an overseas manager with no championship/EFL experience.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Jan 2022 09:28

JR The most compelling reason for change is that it’s not a lost cause.

The bottom of the championship this year is dreadful - Peterborough and Barnsley fans will also feel doomed and Derby are swimming against an ever increasing tide.

So actually get the right man in with championship experience and it’s a relatively easy save as we have by far the best squad of the four.

However, they’ll leave it too late and the end they will replace with an overseas manager with no championship/EFL experience.

Exactly this. As I said up there, he should've been gone after the Kidderminster game, so we've already wasted three games. We've got four games before we play Posh. Get someone in now and they are all winnable. Otherwise that game could well be the nail in the coffin.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Jan 2022 09:33

leon
Brogue I wonder if there are any Pauno in’s still??
Jaeger?
Sciag ?

Another poll?

Lech Walesa?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jan 2022 09:41

Royal_jimmy I've never hated a manager as much as I hate Pauno. I just want him gone. No fans want him here so I dont know how we can manage the team any longer. The players have picked up on it as well and performances have got far worse.

I concur with this. We have had some really poor managers but at some point in their tenure they have demonstrated some sort of ability to grind out a result or at the very least be honest in their assessments of the matches and the players. Paunovic comes out after the games and attempts to bullshit and bluster his way through the interviews routinely lying about performances that we have all just had to endure and continually playing the wrong systems with the wrong players.

Paunovic is a P.E teacher, the players don't respect him, we as supporters hate him and the only reason he is there is because the owner doesn't want to fork out the money to sack him and his useless backroom team. Fcuk him and I will never return to watch Reading until he has gone. I know many others who share that view.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jan 2022 09:46

NathStPaul
Royal_jimmy I've never hated a manager as much as I hate Pauno. I just want him gone. No fans want him here so I dont know how we can manage the team any longer. The players have picked up on it as well and performances have got far worse.

I concur with this. We have had some really poor managers but at some point in their tenure they have demonstrated some sort of ability to grind out a result or at the very least be honest in their assessments of the matches and the players. Paunovic comes out after the games and attempts to bullshit and bluster his way through the interviews routinely lying about performances that we have all just had to endure and continually playing the wrong systems with the wrong players.

Paunovic is a P.E teacher, the players don't respect him, we as supporters hate him and the only reason he is there is because the owner doesn't want to fork out the money to sack him and his useless backroom team. Fcuk him and I will never return to watch Reading until he has gone. I know many others who share that view.

In fairness to him last night, he was pretty honest about the lack of a performance last night. That doesn't reflect well on him though ultimately.

He's had his hands tied throughout a fair bit of his time here, but it's obvious it's not going to end well come April if this continues.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 20 Jan 2022 10:23

Pauno may have had his hands tied but the performances have been completely unacceptable and it is his responsibility. Look at Derby, they are in a bigger mess than us and Rooney has got their players playing for him. Full of fight and spirit. They have even bigger headwinds coming. Yes they'll probably go down but they aren't throwing in the towel unlike our shower of shit.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jan 2022 10:57

Agree performances like we have seen since the turn of the year warrant criticism from the manager. As players are starting to come back and our squad starts looking as strong as it's likely going to be, now might be the best time to change. If your players are not willing to perform and want to win, then that falls on the manager. The severity of injuries may be not so much and the transfer embargo, points deductions etc obviously not, but what we've seen on the pitch recently is.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Jan 2022 11:06

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Just never going to accept it's right to sack someone based on such a short period of poor performance next to previously good performance.

Deal with it.

“Such a short period of poor performance” - we picked up 23 points from the last 20 games last season. With that being nearly 50% of the entire season, I’m not sure you can equate that as “such a short period” but each to their own

I also don’t recall many good performances even during the winning run. We were extremely clinical but that isn’t a sustainable base to build foundations on if you’re relying on pretty much scoring every shot. We had a few decent performances under Paunovic last season, the likes of Blackburn, Bristol and Bournemouth but not many

You could simplify the view to never sack a manager in their first season if there's any positives and you're not in danger of relegation.

By the end of the season it was half a season. But always worth giving a fresh go at the new one to give a chance to improve.

Regardless, he's failed miserably. Showing hes a total fraud and the start of the season last year was all down to Bowen and O'Shea.

Are you saying the other half would have appointed him too :wink:

Wouldn’t have been upset if he’d gone in the summer but yeah, he did warrant another shot at it. You can manipulate the stats which is plausible as the first 8 games have been a massive anomaly but the bottom line was that we’d had our best finish for 4/5 years

I’ve never seen a manager so unable to rectify mistakes, even Stam was more flexible than he was. We seem to constantly be stuck with managers so set in their own ways. I quite liked Clement on the basis that he wasn’t so much even if we were comically bad at times, and at least he had the gall to accurately assess the game

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jan 2022 11:26

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

Are you saying the other half would have appointed him too :wink:

Wouldn’t have been upset if he’d gone in the summer but yeah, he did warrant another shot at it. You can manipulate the stats which is plausible as the first 8 games have been a massive anomaly but the bottom line was that we’d had our best finish for 4/5 years

I’ve never seen a manager so unable to rectify mistakes, even Stam was more flexible than he was. We seem to constantly be stuck with managers so set in their own ways. I quite liked Clement on the basis that he wasn’t so much even if we were comically bad at times, and at least he had the gall to accurately assess the game

That's just the theme with managers these days at every level. They always say they will stick to their principles are their ideas. Many have said that if you start going against your way of playing and your principles then you lose the dressing room.

In fairness to Pauno, there has been a bit of flexibility in terms of playing style. He obviously prefers a possession-based game but we've been far more direct since Carroll has arrived. But I agree with the majority, there isn't enough change about what we are doing. It seems to be we are trying to perform and play like a possession-based team without the ball as well as in some zones of the pitch, but playing direct in other areas. Ultimately trying to do two things and ending up with nothing.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 20 Jan 2022 12:03

The 11th most replied to post in the history of the team board and the most replied to post in over 5 years and still going. Not a bad feat considering the forum get nowhere near the traffic it used to. Thanks all 8)

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 20 Jan 2022 12:27

Brogue The 11th most replied to post in the history of the team board and the most replied to post in over 5 years and still going. Not a bad feat considering the forum get nowhere near the traffic it used to. Thanks all 8)

Lolz at the spelling of the second one

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 20 Jan 2022 14:26

I know we're not getting rid of him but if we did, as there is no game on the 5th Feb (we're out of the FA Cup, Stoke are not therefore the fixture was cancelled) there is a gap from 29th Jan to 9th Feb with no games. This would be a good period for a new manager to come in and work with the squad.

Just noticed there are a number of mid-week matches in Feb - mark them all down as defeats now!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2022 14:31

morganb I know we're not getting rid of him but if we did, as there is no game on the 5th Feb (we're out of the FA Cup, Stoke are not therefore the fixture was cancelled) there is a gap from 29th Jan to 9th Feb with no games. This would be a good period for a new manager to come in and work with the squad.

Just noticed there are a number of mid-week matches in Feb - mark them all down as defeats now!

ah thats the excuse for the 9th Feb game sorted :)

mentioned elsewhere that I'me expecting nearly everyone back fit for 29th. If not then, then they really should be for 9th. Don't have a game next midweek I don't think, so we have Huddersfield Sat, Qpr next week, then 10 days or so to 9th.

Have to restart the season from that point

in normal times, 6 very winnable games in Feb as well. Huge month. Brizzle, Peterborough, PNE, Blackpool away and Cov and Brum at home.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Jan 2022 17:59

Brogue The 11th most replied to post in the history of the team board and the most replied to post in over 5 years and still going. Not a bad feat considering the forum get nowhere near the traffic it used to. Thanks all 8)

Imagine caring. :lol:

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jan 2022 18:30

CountryRoyal

Imagine caring. :lol:

No shame in taking pride in your work.

3542 posts