Pauno In! Appreciation Thread

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Pauno In! Appreciation Thread

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Apr 2021 12:50

So, even though pretty much the entire content of the Pauno Out thread is people saying that's a ludicrous idea. It's still a thread with that title at the top of the board with a lot of pages.

So to counter that, I thought I'd start a rival, to celebrate Pauno's success and look forward to seeing him learn and improve over the next year.

I was exceptionally disappointed and angry with the decision to fire Bowen on the eve of the season, and I haven't changed my mind on that. But that has nothing to do with Paunovic.

I was very sceptical about his appointment. No experience in English football, mixed results in the MLS. But he's proved those doubts wrong and fair play to him.

He's stamped a style and identity on the side. He has continued the tradition of embracing the Academy. He got us off to a terrific start and dealt with a lot of injury issues. He's had little control of transfers or ability to bring in players.

His finest achievement has to have been getting Aluko to look like a footballer after 3 years and 4 managers all rightly abandoning him as shit.

He's got us competing at the right end of the championship. And whilst results have drifted into disappointment, we've very rarely been blown away. It's been fine margins.

15th to (probably) 7th in his first season in the world's most competitive division is an achievement worth celebrating.

Thank you and look forward to another top half season next year.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Pauno In! Appreciation Thread

by Brogue » 23 Apr 2021 12:57

46 points in 38 games. :arrow:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Apr 2021 12:59

Brogue 46 points in 38 games.

Over the last 38 games, we would be 8th with 55 points.

:|

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Apr 2021 13:03

Hendo

He's assuming 0 points from the next 3 games - which is odd given we've only lost 2 of the last 12 or whatever it was

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Apr 2021 13:04

URZZZZ
Hendo

He's assuming 0 points from the next 3 games - which is odd given we've only lost 2 of the last 12 or whatever it was

Well then, that's oxf*rd stupid.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 23 Apr 2021 13:07

ok how many points are we going to get from Swansea Norwich and Huddlesfied :?: ill be generous then, 1 point extra from them three games 47 points from our last 38 games :|

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Apr 2021 13:16

Brogue ok how many points are we going to get from Swansea Norwich and Huddlesfied :?: ill be generous then, 1 point extra from them three games 47 points from our last 38 games :|

I guarantee we'll get at least 4.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Apr 2021 13:34

Snowflake Royal So, even though pretty much the entire content of the Pauno Out thread is people saying that's a ludicrous idea. It's still a thread with that title at the top of the board with a lot of pages.

So to counter that, I thought I'd start a rival, to celebrate Pauno's success and look forward to seeing him learn and improve over the next year.

I was exceptionally disappointed and angry with the decision to fire Bowen on the eve of the season, and I haven't changed my mind on that. But that has nothing to do with Paunovic.

I was very sceptical about his appointment. No experience in English football, mixed results in the MLS. But he's proved those doubts wrong and fair play to him.

He's stamped a style and identity on the side. He has continued the tradition of embracing the Academy. He got us off to a terrific start and dealt with a lot of injury issues. He's had little control of transfers or ability to bring in players.

His finest achievement has to have been getting Aluko to look like a footballer after 3 years and 4 managers all rightly abandoning him as shit.

He's got us competing at the right end of the championship. And whilst results have drifted into disappointment, we've very rarely been blown away. It's been fine margins.

15th to (probably) 7th in his first season in the world's most competitive division is an achievement worth celebrating.

Thank you and look forward to another top half season next year.

Agree with most of this. His appointment, or more specifically, Bowen's departure was a shambles but thats nothing to do with Paunovic.

I think he's got us playing some decent football and the team spirit is good. I think he's suffered from a thin squad in a condensed season and we've run out of steam. We now look flat.

I'd like to see what he can do with a full pre season and maybe being able to bring in some new faces to give the squad a bit more depth, experience and balance.

Overall, we are moving in the right direction and I believe we are in a better place than the end of last season.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 23 Apr 2021 13:50

I’d honestly be indifferent if he went. He’s not done badly considering- lack of squad depth, virtually no signings, the fatal error of not being able to bring anyone in during January. However, he needs to stop rushing players back from injury (although he seems to be showing signs of learning his lesson with how he’s managed Swift lately), his subs on quite a few occasions were best late or utterly baffling and he really needs a plan B. One could argue it’s his first season, but for that to be a legitimate reason he should be showing signs of adapting- I’d argue performances have only regressed over time.

I hope Dai will scrutinise him over the summer, discuss what went wrong with everyone individually. If next season he hasn’t shown signs of progression then it’s sensible to discuss his future. The season is not a failure, but it’s almost inexcusable how badly we’ve collapsed in spite of Barnsley and Bournemouth stepping up.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Apr 2021 15:22

Brogue ok how many points are we going to get from Swansea Norwich and Huddlesfied :?: ill be generous then, 1 point extra from them three games 47 points from our last 38 games :|

Do you really need a second thread on the same subject of people telling you you're talking bollocks?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 23 Apr 2021 15:34

Snowflake Royal

Do you really need a second thread on the same subject of people telling you you're talking bollocks?

wahey!! I've just been told by Ian oxf*rd royal to stop posting bollox on multiple threads :lol: if anyone ever was to take their own advice it should be you.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Apr 2021 15:46

Swansea W (we are due a win against them and they have lost 5 of the last 8)
Norwich L
Huddersfield W

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Apr 2021 15:47

TiagoIlori I’d honestly be indifferent if he went. He’s not done badly considering- lack of squad depth, virtually no signings, the fatal error of not being able to bring anyone in during January. However, he needs to stop rushing players back from injury (although he seems to be showing signs of learning his lesson with how he’s managed Swift lately), his subs on quite a few occasions were best late or utterly baffling and he really needs a plan B. One could argue it’s his first season, but for that to be a legitimate reason he should be showing signs of adapting- I’d argue performances have only regressed over time.

I hope Dai will scrutinise him over the summer, discuss what went wrong with everyone individually. If next season he hasn’t shown signs of progression then it’s sensible to discuss his future. The season is not a failure, but it’s almost inexcusable how badly we’ve collapsed in spite of Barnsley and Bournemouth stepping up.

I think the rushing back from injury (and not sure that has definitely happened) is a result of the small squad and that every time a player is close to fitness another 1 or 2 pick up a knock, leaving us with very little option.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 23 Apr 2021 15:51

not sure im buying this small squad stuff, how do we compare in squad size to the rest of the champ? when I created the poll for player of the season 20 players had played over 10 games for us this season. not including southwood odin tetek. these are genuine first team players not youngsters.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Apr 2021 15:54

Brogue not sure im buying this small squad stuff, how do we compare in squad size to the rest of the champ? when I created the poll for player of the season 20 players had played over 10 games for us this season. not including southwood odin tetek. these are genuine first team players not youngsters.

We have only used 25 players this season, which is the lowest of any team in the league. Which would point to a pretty small squad size and also may point to one of the reasons why we've run out of steam at the end of the season.

EDIT - apparently this also includes Tetek, Watson, Azeez and Onen, none of whom have started a game, and Araruna who played twice this season. With the number of injuries we've had, we've been rolling with a squad of ~16 for most of the season.

So yeah, small squad for sure.
Last edited by Hendo on 23 Apr 2021 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 23 Apr 2021 15:55

Brogue 46 points in 38 games. :arrow:

Yawn

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Apr 2021 15:56

I don’t think players have been rushed back from injury. I’m pretty certain we have used less players than any other team in the division this season.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Apr 2021 15:58

Hendo
Brogue not sure im buying this small squad stuff, how do we compare in squad size to the rest of the champ? when I created the poll for player of the season 20 players had played over 10 games for us this season. not including southwood odin tetek. these are genuine first team players not youngsters.

We have only used 25 players this season, which is the lowest of any team in the league. Which would point to a pretty small squad size and also may point to one of the reasons why we've run out of steam at the end of the season.

EDIT - apparently this also includes Tetek, Watson, Azeez and Onen, none of whom have started a game, and Araruna who played twice this season. With the number of injuries we've had, we've been rolling with a squad of ~16 for most of the season.

Yep agreed. I also think it has to be borne in mind that Pauno didn’t have a summer with the players and was parachuted in at the start of the season. He deserves that this time around.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Apr 2021 16:06

Hendo

and missing arguably our best player in Swift for most of it. We've not lost a game when he has played have we?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Apr 2021 16:07

Hound
Hendo

and missing arguably our best player in Swift for most of it. We've not lost a game when he has played have we?

I don't believe we have, no.