Squad morale

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Squad morale

by Lower West » 25 Apr 2021 15:08

Royalwaster
Lower West I'm indifferent. We've stuttered along for the majority of this season. There's little discernible improvement on many of last seasons performances, in terms of developing a style of play. With too many of the squad inconsistent in terms of performance game to game. Attacking threat is often extremely limited and blunt. We are far too easy to play against. Predictable and easily exposed to pace down the flanks.

That doesn't sound indifferent ... that sounds very negative. Just saying. :D

Indifferent as in being ready for a higher level of football. There's a gulf in every division of the EFL now. With the gaps between divisions growing ever wider. Far too much money is spent on loan players. Might benefit the team for a season then they are gone. Resulting in a backwards step and a loss of competitiveness. Every summer becomes a rebuilding job.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Apr 2021 17:06

I'm in the happy camp.

Sack Pauno and I won't be though.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 25 Apr 2021 17:47

Snowflake Royal I'm in the happy camp.

You would get over it after a couple of wins.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Apr 2021 19:31

Orion1871
Snowflake Royal I'm in the happy camp.

You would get over it after a couple of wins.

The owners lost me last summer. They can oxf*rd off, and as soon as they're gone the better.

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 25 Apr 2021 20:26

Ref Liam Morore "............I think he's stale and he's seen his ambitions die with us. He should have left a couple of seasons ago."

This is a bang on assessment. I suspect he is too comfortable on a massive salary - says the right things etc. I think it would benefit him and the Club if he moved on in the summer - though would he be prepared to earn (a bit) less ?

IMO - an experienced manager, savvy to the Championship would have got this group of players into the POs a few weeks ago, maybe even straight up. Pauno has done ok based on final table assuming 7th, but someone else could likely have done better

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 25 Apr 2021 22:50

I suspect there is a drop in morale. All you need to be relatively successful in the championship is fast runners who can keep running all game. They don't have to be particularly skillful, just fast and energetic. Sadly, after the Bournemouth game, our tempo seemed to slow right down.

I remember one game, I think it was Millwall at home. We took the lead somewhat unconvincingly but looked ok. Then when we let in the equaliser, you could almost see the players literally just accept that they would inevitably concede another and that would be it. Sure enough, that's exactly what happened.

I don't know if maybe the coaching staff eased up on stamina and fitness training because of the injury situation or whether we overused some players to the point where they were exhausted (rhino, Laurent etc).

Also I suspect a couple of players might have talked to other clubs in January and when a big money move didn't materialise, it affected their focus and confidence.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 25 Apr 2021 23:16

ILoveMoonPig Also I suspect a couple of players might have talked to other clubs in January and when a big money move didn't materialise, it affected their focus and confidence.

It's this kind of baseless stuff I'm guessing at too!

I absolutely love Liam Moore the bloke and the podcast guest, but I am now doubting his leadership qualities; 100% we looked better with Morro and McIntyre together.

I remember hearing about a leadership committee? I don't remember who it was, but certainly Moore and Joao, I think there were 4 or 5 of them. Perhaps it backfired somehow?

Honestly, absolutely baseless speculation from me, but this 'team' doesn't look together. Too many factions?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 26 Apr 2021 07:02

I don’t really buy these attempts to “read” players - comes across a bit like reading the tea leaves, with people seeing what they want to see.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 26 Apr 2021 07:42

I've always wondered if anyone on here actually know any of the players - either directly or via mutual friends - and if so do they gossip or keep everything top secret?

Where do they all live (assume they all don't live in Reading)?

Do the younger squad members still live at home with their parents?

Is Pauno still living at the hotel?

Who hangs around with each other away from the club? Which players don't like each other?

It isn't just things 'at work' that could affect morale.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Apr 2021 11:52

PistolPete
ILoveMoonPig Also I suspect a couple of players might have talked to other clubs in January and when a big money move didn't materialise, it affected their focus and confidence.

It's this kind of baseless stuff I'm guessing at too!

I absolutely love Liam Moore the bloke and the podcast guest, but I am now doubting his leadership qualities; 100% we looked better with Morro and McIntyre together.

I remember hearing about a leadership committee? I don't remember who it was, but certainly Moore and Joao, I think there were 4 or 5 of them. Perhaps it backfired somehow?

Honestly, absolutely baseless speculation from me, but this 'team' doesn't look together. Too many factions?

Yep - I made this point right at the start of the season

Moore is clearly a decent defender but in terms of the organisational/leadership part of the game, he seems to struggle badly with it

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Moore’s best periods in a Reading shirt have been next to McShane and Morrison (i.e two highly experienced leaders)

Morro would be the first name on the teamsheet for me, even if he isn’t necessarily the best player in the squad