Contract situation at end of 2020/21 season.

275 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Contract situation at end of 2020/21 season.

by Hound » 06 Jul 2021 20:12

Some rumours knocking about that Olise is moving to Palace

Wouldn’t be a huge stretch to believe being as they bought Eze last year and he is currently crocked

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jul 2021 20:29

Hound Some rumours knocking about that Olise is moving to Palace

Wouldn’t be a huge stretch to believe being as they bought Eze last year and he is currently crocked

It’s on Reading FC Twitter. We will see. I’m far from convinced it’s accurate.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Jul 2021 21:06

The 8m release clause banging around again, struggle to believe that as someone would have paid that in Jan and at worst loaned him back.

Only seems viable to me if the clause only activated this summer to avoid the chance of him leaving for nowt next year.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jul 2021 22:00

JoLo now mentioning this and the £8 million release clause. If true it’s grim news. We will have lost two of our most talented players for peanuts.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Jul 2021 22:05

Zip JoLo now mentioning this and the £8 million release clause. If true it’s grim news. We will have lost two of our most talented players for peanuts.

Yeah but an 8m clause put in an exciting 17 year olds contract to guarantee a fee isn't terrible and for all we know his agent may have insisted on such a clause else he would have left for next to nothing 2 years back by not signing.

Richards is disappointing due to the season he had but I don't recall many pushing to get him tied down last summer as he still wasn't seen as first choice - many wanted Osho to be re-signed to play RB.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 06 Jul 2021 22:24

We were always going to lose him this summer, release clause or no release clause. Its obviously a shame for us but he's clearly a great young talent with a bright future, more than good enough to play Premier League football. Palace are a great fit for him IMO.

Let's take the money, invest in a gifted young player and go again.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 07 Jul 2021 17:48

Stranded
Zip JoLo now mentioning this and the £8 million release clause. If true it’s grim news. We will have lost two of our most talented players for peanuts.

Yeah but an 8m clause put in an exciting 17 year olds contract to guarantee a fee isn't terrible and for all we know his agent may have insisted on such a clause else he would have left for next to nothing 2 years back by not signing.

Richards is disappointing due to the season he had but I don't recall many pushing to get him tied down last summer as he still wasn't seen as first choice - many wanted Osho to be re-signed to play RB.

A release clause doesn't guarantee a fee, it just puts an upper limit on what we could possibly get for him.

No one knows what kind of negotiations were going on but you'd be surprised if Olise's agent really had the leverage to insist on the clause. More likely they either asked for guaranteed pay jumps, a shorter contract or the release clause. It's possible that the financial constraints placed on us by our ridiculous wage bill made us more willing to put in a clause than pay upfront. Or it could have just been piss-poor business from Reading's side.

Either way we've managed to mess up the one way that a club of Reading's size is supposed to be able to compete in the Championship - the sale of high-value players to fund the squad.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Jul 2021 18:02

Elm Park Kid
Stranded

A release clause doesn't guarantee a fee, it just puts an upper limit on what we could possibly get for him.

No one knows what kind of negotiations were going on but you'd be surprised if Olise's agent really had the leverage to insist on the clause. More likely they either asked for guaranteed pay jumps, a shorter contract or the release clause. It's possible that the financial constraints placed on us by our ridiculous wage bill made us more willing to put in a clause than pay upfront. Or it could have just been piss-poor business from Reading's side.

Either way we've managed to mess up the one way that a club of Reading's size is supposed to be able to compete in the Championship - the sale of high-value players to fund the squad.

Guarantee is the wrong word but the potential clause set a fee that if Olise developed as he has someone would be willing to pay especially as a lump sum.

He has a year left and I don't honestly thing we would have seen offers much above 8m as a result. Even if we did we'd have to settle for the fee spread over 3 or 4 years whereas now we seem to be getting 8m up front.

I truly believe we wouldn't have ever got more than 12m for him given the length if his remaining deal.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 07 Jul 2021 18:58

Stranded
Elm Park Kid
Stranded

Guarantee is the wrong word but the potential clause set a fee that if Olise developed as he has someone would be willing to pay especially as a lump sum.

He has a year left and I don't honestly thing we would have seen offers much above 8m as a result. Even if we did we'd have to settle for the fee spread over 3 or 4 years whereas now we seem to be getting 8m up front.

I truly believe we wouldn't have ever got more than 12m for him given the length if his remaining deal.

I would guess that a 20 year old, PL mid-table squad player is probably worth in the region of £25-40m. Olise hasn't proven he can compete at that level yet, but there's enough evidence that you would expect a number of teams to be interested in taking the gamble at the £15-20m level.

Though, the fact that he is going to Palace is telling. £8m is peanuts to a PL club, especially the big six. So you wonder why they wouldn't just pay it to get him on their books so that they can loan out and see if he develops. My hope was that we'd get another 'Hector deal' from Chelsea. But if they're not coming in for him with the release clause it tells you 1. Palace are offering the player/agent a great deal, 2. Olise wants first team football or 3. Their isn't a bigger team interested.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jul 2021 19:02

Somebody has suggested it’s £6 million plus £2 million add ons. Surely not.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 07 Jul 2021 19:27

Elm Park Kid
Stranded
Elm Park Kid

I would guess that a 20 year old, PL mid-table squad player is probably worth in the region of £25-40m. Olise hasn't proven he can compete at that level yet, but there's enough evidence that you would expect a number of teams to be interested in taking the gamble at the £15-20m level.

Though, the fact that he is going to Palace is telling. £8m is peanuts to a PL club, especially the big six. So you wonder why they wouldn't just pay it to get him on their books so that they can loan out and see if he develops. My hope was that we'd get another 'Hector deal' from Chelsea. But if they're not coming in for him with the release clause it tells you 1. Palace are offering the player/agent a great deal, 2. Olise wants first team football or 3. Their isn't a bigger team interested.

It's prob all 3 of these. I'm not convinced there is an £8m buy out as he would have gone way before now. JLow knows nothing and reacts from Twitter.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 08 Jul 2021 15:25

With the exit of Olise I make it we now have just 17 first team players left - even if we include Tetek (unproven), Meite (out for season) and McNulty. If we exclude those three we are down to 14!

The squad has not looked this thin for about 15 years. Hopefully finances will allow us to add a few on loan and we can bring some young players through, but it is very hard to see us being competitive this coming season.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Jul 2021 15:51

andrew1957 With the exit of Olise I make it we now have just 17 first team players left - even if we include Tetek (unproven), Meite (out for season) and McNulty. If we exclude those three we are down to 14!

The squad has not looked this thin for about 15 years. Hopefully finances will allow us to add a few on loan and we can bring some young players through, but it is very hard to see us being competitive this coming season.

We have to hope we don’t hit serious injury problems because with the current squad we really cannot afford more than a few out.
Olise now confirmed as a Palace player.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 08 Jul 2021 17:02

Zip
andrew1957 With the exit of Olise I make it we now have just 17 first team players left - even if we include Tetek (unproven), Meite (out for season) and McNulty. If we exclude those three we are down to 14!

We have to hope we don’t hit serious injury problems because with the current squad we really cannot afford more than a few out.
Olise now confirmed as a Palace player.

8mill apparently. Not as much as we hoped but not disastrous either.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 08 Jul 2021 17:23

I suppose to get more than £8 million we had to hope for a bidding war.It appears it just didn’t happen.Maybe we could have hung around until some of the big boys started to panic;but it seems we were never in control of the situation.Disappointed really a bigger fee would have made a lot of difference.

275 posts