Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Norwich City (a)

by Snowball » 02 May 2021 11:04

Stranded
Gunny Fishcake
Snowball
THIS, and if you remove the first 8 games, we are 12th

Rubbish, I believe no team has ever won their first seven games and not been promoted in this league , the season has been an implosion of epic proportions

Mate, we didn't win our first 7 games.

We won 4, got a draw luckily then won 3 more. We then lost 4 on the bounce.

If you really want to put so much emphasis on the start to the season then you have to looks it as a run of 12 as it was a start of streaks.

Remove the opening 12 games we would be 9th. We are going to finish 7th or 8th, so pretty much where we should be.

IIRC we are the 3rd team to start this well at Championship level, this century, one won the league. The other finished 10th.

Swans last season v Reading this...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 May 2021 11:43

Notts Royal
Ascotexgunner
Notts Royal Would we have had more faith in Bowen, had we finished say 10th? Or more with Pauno currently?

I know it’s a lot of ifs buts & maybes, but it’s interesting to know.

I’m far from sold on Pauno...tactically & substations wise. And I had more faith that Bowen knew what he was doing & understood the game over here. Would the next part of his project seen us further up the table?

Im not advocating sacking yet another manager right now, but it does remind me a bit of Stam & could see him gone quickly next season if we start slowly

HAHAHA Bowen achieving what Paunovic has achieved this season.....hilarious.
Bowen was part of the problem for this mess behind the scenes with previous managers. Should have been given his P45 after the Swansea debacle as he walked off the pitch last season.
I'd love to know what his input was into some of the shit we have signed on big contracts.
Under Paunovic youngsters are a better option, especially if we get screwed by the EFL. He has bought on some good talent....

Wasn’t our overall form under Bowen top 6-10, after Gomes left? He took us from 3rd bottom to 15th...carry on that trajectory and that would’ve landed us in a similar position to where we are now.

Where’s your proof Bowen was the one who handed out big contracts? He’s on record saying he didn’t rate Puscas, one of those given a lengthy contract.

Only under Bowen did Olise become a regular, as well as McIntyre. Rino retained his starting place & Richards featured regularly.

In fact, the only youngster that’s been given more of a chance under Pauno has been Holmes.

Interesting observations

Ascot hates Bowen for some reason.

It's just demonstrably wrong that Bowen was responsible for big contracts. All the contracts we know were big were under Gourlay.

All the signings we know were Bowen were good value. Morrison and Laurent.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 May 2021 11:47

CountryRoyal Didn’t watch as I want to enjoy my life and if they don’t care why should I, but in the risk of sounding all Ian Royal and making an il-informed opinion, we’re we as bad as the stats suggested?

We looked like a team who started with something to prove against the Champions, but when their quality told had nothing to play for.

Which is what the deal was. We had our 4th and 5th choice centreback pairing against the best team in the league and handed a starting debut to a young player in defensive midfield.

The scoreline flattered Norwich a bit, but that sort of thing happens when a team wins the title against another with nothing to play for that's deflated.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 May 2021 11:59

Notts Royal
Ascotexgunner
Notts Royal Would we have had more faith in Bowen, had we finished say 10th? Or more with Pauno currently?

I’m far from sold on Pauno...tactically & substations wise. And I had more faith that Bowen knew what he was doing & understood the game over here. Would the next part of his project seen us further up the table?

Im not advocating sacking yet another manager right now, but it does remind me a bit of Stam & could see him gone quickly next season if we start slowly

Bowen was part of the problem for this mess behind the scenes with previous managers. Should have been given his P45 after the Swansea debacle as he walked off the pitch last season.
I'd love to know what his input was into some of the shit we have signed on big contracts.
Under Paunovic youngsters are a better option, especially if we get screwed by the EFL. He has bought on some good talent....

Wasn’t our overall form under Bowen top 6-10, after Gomes left? He took us from 3rd bottom to 15th...carry on that trajectory and that would’ve landed us in a similar position to where we are now.

Where’s your proof Bowen was the one who handed out big contracts? He’s on record saying he didn’t rate Puscas, one of those given a lengthy contract.

Only under Bowen did Olise become a regular, as well as McIntyre. Rino retained his starting place & Richards featured regularly.

In fact, the only youngster that’s been given more of a chance under Pauno has been Holmes.

Interesting observations

Prior to the Covid pause, a table under Bowen would have seen us 5th. Include the results after the restart and we finished 11th, as we were atrocious when the season restarted.

If Covid hadn't have happened who knows where we may have finished last season as we had momentum.

The only thing you can say about both managers whatever your view on them is neither have had the chance to manage in a proper season.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 May 2021 12:36

Stranded
Notts Royal
Ascotexgunner

Interesting observations

Prior to the Covid pause, a table under Bowen would have seen us 5th. Include the results after the restart and we finished 11th, as we were atrocious when the season restarted.

If Covid hadn't have happened who knows where we may have finished last season as we had momentum.

The only thing you can say about both managers whatever your view on them is neither have had the chance to manage in a proper season.

Interesting. I'd forgotten just how bad our finish was 7/13 defeats

Also in Pauno's favour, he didn't know the players AT ALL, Bowen did an didn't really get a pre-season

I can't remember last season's injury list but it FEELS LIKE this year was far worse.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 May 2021 13:01

Snowball
Stranded
Notts Royal

Interesting observations

Interesting. I'd forgotten just how bad our finish was 7/13 defeats

Also in Pauno's favour, he didn't know the players AT ALL, Bowen did an didn't really get a pre-season

I can't remember last season's injury list but it FEELS LIKE this year was far worse.

Big difference last year was Joao missing most of the season IMO. He was in form when he got injured at the end too, so it seems highly likely we would have finished stronger with him fit.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 May 2021 15:15

I’m with you on this. My concern is not just Pauno but his coaching staff. They struggle to know how to effect successful change when we go behind. This is now a very poor run of form which must not continue into next season.
The summer break is badly needed. Regroup and bring in some better quality loanees could make a big difference. What we cannot have at the start of the new season is more of the same. I hope Yongge gives Pauno a crack at next season. He deserves a chance but I’m far from convinced he will take it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 May 2021 16:13

We’ve also picked up a poor habit of not holding onto leads - that’s Swansea, Norwich, Barnsley since the last break

Countered a little with a couple of last minute equalisers but still it’s an area we were very strong early season that we seem to have lost

Definitely gone a bit ‘soft’ in the last few months

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 02 May 2021 16:23

Snowball
Gunny Fishcake
Snowball
THIS, and if you remove the first 8 games, we are 12th

Rubbish, I believe no team has ever won their first seven games and not been promoted in this league , the season has been an implosion of epic proportions

Stranded has put you right on this

Not quite the same but..

Last season after 6 games

1 6 5 1 0 12 4 +8 16 Points Swansea
2 6 4 2 0 11 5 +6 14 Points Charlton

Swansea scraped into 6th on 70 points and GD.

That means they got 54 points from 40 games = 1.35 ppg

In contrast, this season, Reading after their 8-game start have averaged 1.38 ppg, worth 2 points more than Swansea

Charlton finished 23rd and were relegated

So, last season Swansea scraped sixth "only because" they started so well.

This is why we have 46 games. Some sides start well and fade, some start well and keep going etc etc etc

I'll get my coat

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 02 May 2021 21:05

I didn’t see any of yesterday’s game as I was celebrating my birthday , but against the top team in the league , we had no strong centre back and a keeper prone to mistakes . You cannot be surprised at the outcome .
Last week in my player ratings for the season I raised concerns about all 3 , and particularly mentioned Holmes back passes .

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 May 2021 23:40

Zip

I’m with you on this. My concern is not just Pauno but his coaching staff. They struggle to know how to effect successful change when we go behind. This is now a very poor run of form which must not continue into next season.
The summer break is badly needed. Regroup and bring in some better quality loanees could make a big difference. What we cannot have at the start of the new season is more of the same. I hope Yongge gives Pauno a crack at next season. He deserves a chance but I’m far from convinced he will take it.

Loanees aren't the answer. Decent recruitment strategy is. Which is unlikely given the structure of the club at higher levels.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 08 May 2021 14:54

Lower West
Zip

Loanees aren't the answer. Decent recruitment strategy is. Which is unlikely given the structure of the club at higher levels.

Very true. 1-2 loans seems about right but you need permanent players who are invested in the club. Our transfer strategy has been poor for years...it’s a scatter gun approach mixed in with a few good signings here & there

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 May 2021 17:33

Worth remembering loanees completely saved us under Gomes. Without Miazga, Ejaria, Martinez, Baker et al we were down without a doubt.

Given the injuries we regularly stack up loanees are an absolute must. We're at 200% income in wages having trimmed the squad and used a lot of Academy players. Championship sides without parachute payments can't afford squads of 28 perm players

193 posts