Season Player Ratings.Now it’s all but over.

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

Season Player Ratings.Now it’s all but over.

by Westwood52 » 29 Apr 2021 12:37

Now it’s all but done and dusted,whats your player ratings over the season.Bearing in mind overall finishing seventh after three or is it four seasons of dross,has to be regarded as a successful season;I may therefore have been overly generous.But come on,no one really expected us to finish this high did they ?I don’t usually give halves,but a lot of players drifted between 5,6 and 7.
I await the abuse,but here we go IMHO( 6 is average):

Rafa 6.A couple of early season rickets,and a tendency to parry the ball forward ,rather than sideways on albeit good saves.Also a tendency to flap or miss crosses.

Yids 6. Missed a few games with injury.Easily our best RB,and reasonably reliable defensively,but crosses are poor and stamina questionable.
Estevez 5.There is something there,but should never have been brought in.Technically very good,but easily bullied in defence.
Richards 7.To quote the nursery line,when he was good,he was very very good.But form was a bit patchy.
Gibson 5.Ditto Estevez really.A liability at LB.But might have a chance at CB.We will never know.
Moore 5.5. He s the captain,but was hardly inspiring.Big ego,which was never matched by performance.Please get that shoulder fixed during the off season.
Morrison 8. Alright he is limited.But a largely faultless season.
Holmes 7. Well done Tom.He is no RB and has a tendency for silly errors.Hopefully OShea will work on him during the summer.
McIntyre 7. A really good season.He is Prem class in the opposition box at corners.
Semedo 5. Don’t see it really. Can put his foot in and good in the air;but technically poor.
Rino 7. Another solid season.Cannot be faulted for effort.Technically he is never going to be first class.
Laurent 7. Best of the signings.Never going to play at a higher level as he is very slow and poses little goal threat going forward.But technically he is very good and very strong on the ball.Pauno overplayed him ,and he hit the wall a month or so back.
Olise 7.7.Bit like Richards; when he was at his best,he was brilliant.Just waltzes past players.However received no protection from refs,and his set pieces are terrible.
Swift 7.Given his limited impact because of injuries,the fact that when he did play,he was very good,doesn’t seem to count really.
Ejaria 6.5.Of course he can beat three players in a telephone box; but disappointing goal return and not enough end product.
Puskas 4.OK we never played to his strengths ,and he probably needs to start regularly but when he did come on,he was very ineffectual.
Meite 7.5. Unlike Joao,you can’t argue with his goal return across the season.He is capable of some high quality play,then the next moment he will look like a pub footballer.
Alukho 5.5. Pauno clearly didn’t trust him.He had to be our Plan B,but Pauno didn’t like what he saw in training.I can have no other explanation.
Joao 7. You cannot argue with his goal return,and he was probably a 9 or 10 up to Xmas. His form then dropped off a cliff.
Baldock 3.Zero contribution.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Season Player Ratings.Now it’s all but over.

by URZZZZ » 29 Apr 2021 12:59

Westwood52 Now it’s all but done and dusted,whats your player ratings over the season.Bearing in mind overall finishing seventh after three or is it four seasons of dross,has to be regarded as a successful season;I may therefore have been overly generous.But come on,no one really expected us to finish this high did they ?I don’t usually give halves,but a lot of players drifted between 5,6 and 7.

Rafa 6.5.A couple of early season rickets,and a tendency to parry the ball forward ,rather than sideways on albeit good saves.Also a tendency to flap or miss crosses.

Yids 5.5 Missed a few games with injury.Easily our best RB,and reasonably reliable defensively,but crosses are poor and stamina questionable.
Estevez 5.There is something there,but should never have been brought in.Technically very good,but easily bullied in defence.
Richards 7.To quote the nursery line,when he was good,he was very very good.But form was a bit patchy.
Gibson 5.Ditto Estevez really.A liability at LB.But might have a chance at CB.We will never know.
Moore 6.5. He s the captain,but was hardly inspiring.Big ego,which was never matched by performance.Please get that shoulder fixed during the off season.
Holmes 7. Well done Tom.He is no RB and has a tendency for silly errors.Hopefully OShea will work on him during the summer.
McIntyre 7. A really good season.He is Prem class in the opposition box at corners.
Semedo 5.5. Don’t see it really. Can put his foot in and good in the air;but technically poor.
Rino 7. Another solid season.Cannot be faulted for effort.Technically he is never going to be first class.
Laurent 7.5 Best of the signings.Never going to play at a higher level as he is very slow and poses little goal threat going forward.But technically he is very good and very strong on the ball.Pauno overplayed him ,and he hit the wall a month or so back.
Olise 7.Bit like Richards; when he was at his best,he was brilliant.Just waltzes past players.However received no protection from refs,and his set pieces are terrible.
Swift 7.Given his limited impact because of injuries,the fact that when he did play,he was very good,doesn’t seem to count really.
Ejaria 6.5.Of course he can beat three players in a telephone box; but disappointing goal return and not enough end product.
Puskas 6.OK we never played to his strengths ,and he probably needs to start regularly but when he did come on,he was very ineffectual.
Meite 7.5. Unlike Joao,you can’t argue with his goal return across the season.He is capable of some high quality play,then the next moment he will look like a pub footballer.
Alukho 5.5. Pauno clearly didn’t trust him.He had to be our Plan B,but Pauno didn’t like what he saw in training.I can have no other explanation.
Joao 7.5. You cannot argue with his goal return,and he was probably a 9 or 10 up to Xmas. His form then dropped off a cliff.
Baldock 4.Zero contribution.

Not too far off what I'd go although you're harsh on Moore and Puscas IMO

Changed to what I'd do

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Apr 2021 13:28

yeah not a bad set of ratings. Lets see if I remember everyone

8 Holmes Joao Morrison Laurent
7.5 Olise Rino
7 Richards Ejaria McIntyre Meite
6.5 Moore Swift
6 Semedo Esteves Gibson Rafael Aluko Puscas
5 Baldock

Didnt play enough but look good - Tetek, Southwood

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Apr 2021 13:48

Can't remember many < 7 performances from Moore, just think he's an easy escapegoat. Easily in the 7s across the season.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Apr 2021 13:48

Feel sorry for Baldock given he’s basically had naff all game time (just 4 starts and 16 very short sub appearances in the league).

In that time he hasn’t been played to his strengths properly when he has been involved but despite that I’ve thought he’s actually put decent effort in and tried to get things working for the team. Hope a club gives him a good opportunity next season and no doubt he’ll get back to scoring reasonably regularly as a result. Fully expect him to rock up for some other Championship outfit next year and more than likely prove his point against Reading.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Apr 2021 13:52

Pepe the Horseman Can't remember many < 7 performances from Moore, just think he's an easy escapegoat. Easily in the 7s across the season.

No idea what Liam is like personally but on the pitch you generally can’t fault his effort and commitment to the cause though sometimes it does work out better than others (so pretty much like any player then). Still think Reading are better with him in the team than without and I’d put him at a 7 for this season too.

Overall though have to say Laurent is probably the star this season for consistency of performance plus has been his first season at this level as well so all credit to him. Now comes the difficult bit of doing it again next year.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Apr 2021 13:55

5's across the board. Averages mean nothing. Consistency week in week out is all that matters over an entire season.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Apr 2021 13:58

Hound yeah not a bad set of ratings. Lets see if I remember everyone

8 Holmes Joao Morrison Laurent
7.5 Olise Rino
7 Richards Ejaria McIntyre Meite
6.5 Moore Swift
6 Semedo Esteves Gibson Rafael Aluko Puscas
5 Baldock

Didnt play enough but look good - Tetek, Southwood

Not bad, 19 out of 20 first teamers

I guess you could also add Araruna too but he only played 5 games so a bit more difficult

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 29 Apr 2021 14:07

Sutekh
Pepe the Horseman Can't remember many < 7 performances from Moore, just think he's an easy escapegoat. Easily in the 7s across the season.

No idea what Liam is like personally but on the pitch you generally can’t fault his effort and commitment to the cause though sometimes it does work out better than others (so pretty much like any player then). Still think Reading are better with him in the team than without and I’d put him at a 7 for this season too.

Think its the high expectations of him, captain plus his wages. People will want to see PL standard from him. Personally, he was better when he wan't captain and was on a normal wage.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Apr 2021 17:38

URZZZZ
Westwood52 Now it’s all but done and dusted,whats your player ratings over the season.Bearing in mind overall finishing seventh after three or is it four seasons of dross,has to be regarded as a successful season;I may therefore have been overly generous.But come on,no one really expected us to finish this high did they ?I don’t usually give halves,but a lot of players drifted between 5,6 and 7.

Rafa 6.5.A couple of early season rickets,and a tendency to parry the ball forward ,rather than sideways on albeit good saves.Also a tendency to flap or miss crosses.

Yids 6 Missed a few games with injury.Easily our best RB,and reasonably reliable defensively,but crosses are poor and stamina questionable.
Moore 6.5. He s the captain,but was hardly inspiring.Big ego,which was never matched by performance.Please get that shoulder fixed during the off season.
Semedo 5 Don’t see it really. Can put his foot in and good in the air;but technically poor.
Laurent 7.5 Best of the signings.Never going to play at a higher level as he is very slow and poses little goal threat going forward.But technically he is very good and very strong on the ball.Pauno overplayed him ,and he hit the wall a month or so back.
Olise 7.Bit like Richards; when he was at his best,he was brilliant.Just waltzes past players.However received no protection from refs,and his set pieces are terrible.
Puskas 6.OK we never played to his strengths ,and he probably needs to start regularly but when he did come on,he was very ineffectual.
Meite 7 Unlike Joao,you can’t argue with his goal return across the season.He is capable of some high quality play,then the next moment he will look like a pub footballer.
Joao 7.5. You cannot argue with his goal return,and he was probably a 9 or 10 up to Xmas. His form then dropped off a cliff.

Changed to what I'd do

Just tweaked your changes with a small uplift for Yids and small downmarking of Yaks and Semedo.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Apr 2021 17:44

Lower West 5's across the board. Averages mean nothing. Consistency week in week out is all that matters over an entire season.

No, all that matters is your league position. We’re probably going to finish 7th out of 24 after years in the bottom half, and you’re giving us a 5/10? Joao scored 19 league goals (more than Kevin Doyle ever managed for example) and you’re giving him a 5/10 because he had a few bad games?

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 29 Apr 2021 18:09

I'd put Richards as an 8 for the first half of the season, and a 5 for the second half. He looked absolutely outstanding but now looks pretty average

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 29 Apr 2021 18:48

Well I’ll put my head on the block and I’m sure that there could be some disagreements .
Rafael : Not a bad GK - but also not a good one . Sunday was another example of what has happened too many times this season . Wouldn’t mind letting him go if we can get a fee , believe he is on top money .
Yiadom. : I like him , think he’s the best RB we’ve had for some time .
Richards. : Good supporting attacks on left side . Useless at defending far post when ball is crossed from opposing wing .
Morrison. : Decent , steady , CB . Worth extending contract .
Moore. : I’ve always struggled to see why others rate hin so highly , doesn’t really command in the air . Would take a fee for him . Again high wages .
Holmes. : Now I’ll upset a few . I’m yet to be convinced that he can hold a place in a Championship team . I have serious doubts , see what next season brings . Must have won the award for most back passes to the GK in a season .
McIntyre. : Locks promising , have hopes here , but you have to prove your worth over a period of time .
Laurent : Good first season , justified his place in the team .
Rinomhota : Does a good job in the team , think that if we adopted a freer , more open attacking style , could be effective with runs into the opposing box .
Olise. : A talented boy . Many times the best player on the pitch . At his age you can’t expect him to dominate every week in the Championship . At times his attitude could be better .
Ejaria : A dilemma . We all know he’s tricky and can, go past players , convincing him that once is enough is the problem . Maybe a Gilles type wingman would be more effective .
Swift : Can play . Unfortunately didn’t contribute much this season due to injuries .
Meite : His goal return tally is good and vital . Good strength in the box . He’s proved his worth to me on these facts .
Joao. : This season we’ve seen his strengths and weaknesses, but we need him . Can’t see us getting anyone better .
Puscas. : Disappointing season . There are worse around , but when he’s been on the pitch would have liked him to contribute more .
Esteves : Has ability , possibly as a midfielder , but didn’t really do the job as a RB .
Somedo : A bit part player throughout the season . Didn’t let us down , but also didn’t inspire .
Alukho : in brief times on pitch looked a bit useful, but when on for longer periods , not so effective .
Baldock. : Much the same as above .
Gibson : Didn’t see enough to fairly rate .

Paunovic : I would say that league position alone , be it 7th or wherever qualifies as a successful season . I am not of the opinion that we have a squad of players that merits anything higher . Individual errors in both defence and attack have cost us dearly . That is not his fault . However , I am not in favour of the style of play of the team . In my opinion it is too slow and defensive . Maybe he believes it needs to be this way because there is not enough strength or ability in the squad to do anything other .

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 29 Apr 2021 19:22

Morrison first. Total pro. Keep all day long.

As for the rest...
Mcintyre - good season
Joao - can't be bad after scoring a bucket load of goals
Meite - we seem to miss him when he's out.
Laurent - good season
Rino - good season
Holmes - fair play to the guy. Took some stick but is RFC through and through

Unfortunately, that is where it ends.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Apr 2021 19:58

Michael Olise wins EFL Young Player of the Season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Apr 2021 11:33

I'll do mine after game 46

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Apr 2021 12:08

Zip
URZZZZ

Yids 6 Missed a few games with injury.Easily our best RB,and reasonably reliable defensively,but crosses are poor and stamina questionable.
Semedo 5 Don’t see it really. Can put his foot in and good in the air;but technically poor.
Meite 7 Unlike Joao,you can’t argue with his goal return across the season.He is capable of some high quality play,then the next moment he will look like a pub footballer.

Changed to what I'd do

Just tweaked your changes with a small uplift for Yids and small downmarking of Yaks and Semedo.

Think that's slightly harsh on Semedo, some sympathies with him in the sense that we've rarely got to seen him play in his so called "natural" position. He'd be an OK squad filler but certainly wouldn't want to see him return next season to play CAM again

Yids was a difficult one between a 5.5 and a 6 but using 6 as the average, I think he's just underperformed relative to that. Obviously Joao will get the bulk of the criticism for the open goal miss against Barnsley but his unnecessary shove could also have potentially cost us the points

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1