Hob Nob Addict

Re: EFL Awards.....Young Player of the Season - Michael Olise

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Apr 2021 22:59

Delighted for him. Well deserved.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Apr 2021 07:23

The kid has 6 goals and 10 assists at 19. And looks absolutely class.

No, he is not overrated at all.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 30 Apr 2021 07:56

I don’t think he’s overrated either; ext best academy player after Gylfi. In fact, he’s got the potential to eclipse Gylfi...a lot more skilful but decision making not quite to the same level as Sig’s in the season he played here.

He has become less effective as the season has gone on, probably down to fatigue though.

He does seem to believe the hype, but that’s due to his quality so is understandable.

Still...need to cash in on him whilst we can. And I don’t trust Dai here

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Apr 2021 08:35

Notts Royal I don’t think he’s overrated either; ext best academy player after Gylfi. In fact, he’s got the potential to eclipse Gylfi...a lot more skilful but decision making not quite to the same level as Sig’s in the season he played here.

He has become less effective as the season has gone on, probably down to fatigue though.

He does seem to believe the hype, but that’s due to his quality so is understandable.

Still...need to cash in on him whilst we can. And I don’t trust Dai here

Think the Sig was more skillful, much better shot, but Olise has the pace he never did.

Second half of the season he seems to have to cut out a lot of the tricks and flicks he used to love and become a bit more conventional. I hate it when that gets coached out of young players.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Apr 2021 08:47

Brogue
URZZZZZZZZ I may be well off the mark here, but does anyone else think he’s been massively overrated? It’s great that he has so many admirers, but I can’t help but think his proneness to go missing in games should contribute against him much more than all the credit he gets for the odd good display.

If he had the level of consistency you aspire him to have he wouldn’t be playing for a championship side.

Agreed, he wouldn't have been bounced out of the academy set ups of Chelsea and City if he was as good as he is and super consistent.

Thought the young player of the year would've gone to Max Aarons myself, but fair oxf*rd to Olise. Really pleased for him.

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 30 Apr 2021 09:00

[quote=]
Thought the young player of the year would've gone to Max Aarons myself, [/quote]

He won it two years ago!

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Apr 2021 09:07

:shock: :lol: Did not know that! Didn't realise he had been around for that long.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 30 Apr 2021 09:38

URZZZZZZZZ I may be well off the mark here, but does anyone else think he’s been massively overrated? It’s great that he has so many admirers, but I can’t help but think his proneness to go missing in games should contribute against him much more than all the credit he gets for the odd good display.

I know everyone has replied to you saying no, but I actually think he's underrated! :D

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 30 Apr 2021 10:27

Best result would be to sell him and get him back on loan for a season.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 30 Apr 2021 12:31

Congrats to Olise on his award and inclusion in the EFL team of the season. The lad is a talent.

One footnote: how the shuddering fu ck does Begovic make the team of the season? :shock:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 Apr 2021 12:35

Ark Royal Congrats to Olise on his award and inclusion in the EFL team of the season. The lad is a talent.

One footnote: how the shuddering fu ck does Begovic make the team of the season? :shock:

Frankly feel they should look primarily at save percentages for the goalkeeper in Team of the Season, you'd probably find the better ones being from a team maybe about mid-table who has been kept busy.

Generally it seems to go to a bigger name in a side that has been more defensively sound rather than having a goalkeeper pulling off heroics.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Apr 2021 13:13

Snowflake Royal The kid has 6 goals and 10 assists at 19. And looks absolutely class.

Like most 19 year olds he lacks the consistency in his game which is the frustrating part to supporters watching him game in and game out but in 2 years he should be something very special indeed if all the classy bits we see fairly regularly remain and he gets more consistent.

In the perfect world Reading would offer and he’d sign a new deal in the summer but sadly the ridiculous FFP situation will probably make what would be a suitably attractive deal for both sides impossible.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Apr 2021 13:18

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal The kid has 6 goals and 10 assists at 19. And looks absolutely class.

Like most 19 year olds he lacks the consistency in his game which is the frustrating part to supporters watching him game in and game out but in 2 years he should be something very special indeed if all the classy bits we see fairly regularly remain and he gets more consistent.

In the perfect world Reading would offer and he’d sign a new deal in the summer but sadly the ridiculous FFP situation will probably make what would be a suitably attractive deal for both sides impossible.

Knowing that he's probably got his pick of clubs at the moment, I'd be very surprised if he was interested in signing a new deal with Reading even if we could offer him one.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 30 Apr 2021 18:40

Ideal world. Sell him to Chelsea/City/Scousers for gazillions and take him back on loan.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Apr 2021 19:14

Which "big club" would he go to AND PLAY FIRST TEAM FOOTBALL next season?

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 30 Apr 2021 23:01

Brogue

If he had the level of consistency you aspire him to have he wouldn’t be playing for a championship side.

Which is why there is so much speculation surrounding him??

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Apr 2021 23:08

Snowball Which "big club" would he go to AND PLAY FIRST TEAM FOOTBALL next season?

Regular starting first XI? Probably none.

I think he could expect a season a little similar to last year with us...few less starts bunch more subs... in the lower reaches of the PL, Bundasliga etc.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 01 May 2021 12:52

Ark Royal Congrats to Olise on his award and inclusion in the EFL team of the season. The lad is a talent.

And Mowatt - just runs around kicking people a bit like Jem did

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 May 2021 14:29

Someone was suggesting Olise appeared out of nowhere

I did a search oldest post first

Hound 24 October 2018

Other than that Barrett and House did some good stuff and I liked the sub Olise

Sciag 24 October 2018

Good games for Loader and subs Nolan and Olise,

Andrew 1957 19th December 2018

I had not seen Olise before (believe he is only 17) and we might well have a very good player on our hands.

Nameless 19 March 2019

Quite making to see Olise on the bench today. Partly shows how stretched we are but he also looks a very good player.

Response by Lower West

Look on the positive side. Great experience. Hopefully go away and work even harder. Gomes obviously feels he has potentially something to offer in the future.

SCIAG 13 March 2019

Yiadom was excellent and I thought Olise looked like the sort of player Loader is expected to be.

Barcelona Blue 15 March 2019

I thought that East played some nice passes on Tuesday and also Michael Olise looked really lively, can´t say much on 15 minutes but looked like we might have a real talent there.

Tidus 16 March 2019

Incoming Olise masterclass performance?

Genome = I'd literally never heard of Olise until he appeared on the bench last week. He must have something if Gomes has decided to fast-track him.

16 March (COUGH)

A few thought Olise was way too lightweight and easy to shove off the ball… example

Snowflake Royal
Olise looking unsurprisingly lightweight and easy to run off the ball.

Cabversham Royal 2nd April

I personally thought McIntyre, Howe and Olise were really good tonight.

April 6th SCIAG

Olise didn't seem to really know what he was supposed to be doing in the system and was quite quiet, although he did play one stunning pass just "round the corner" for Howe to run onto (it didn't come off but it was very inventive).

27 April (Snowflake )

something about Olise that doesn't convince me and I just don't know why

Nameless, though (and Mick Gooding) thought I’d say there is very much something about Olise that is exciting. Loads of confidence for a 17 year old who probably wasn’t expected to be playing for the u23 side this season let alone the first team. No guarantee he’ll ‘train on’ but I hope some of our fans treat him more considerately than they have Danny Loader.

Stranded 29 April 2019
Positives: Loader's goal, Barrett and Olise looking decent and not out of place when they came on.

Chameleon 5th May 2019

Utterly dominant half there. Olise has got into good positions and is very good, but clearly just needs some time to settle in and get finishing.

John Madejski’s Wallet = We always looked comfortable at the back though, which is nice Olise looks really bright.

Westwood Olise 7 : Very, very promising. We may have found something with him. Whats his usual position ? Missed at least two chances though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 May 2021 15:18

well done for picking a bunch of quotes from after he made his debut and a couple from the couple who pay very close attention to the youth

:roll: