How likely is it that the Dai s will cash in their ownership ?

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

How likely is it that the Dai s will cash in their ownership ?

by Westwood52 » 06 May 2021 09:26

The Owners probably had high hopes for this season;only to once again see those hopes crash and burn.You do wonder how much due diligence they undertook,when making their considerable investment.Were they so naive,that they thought ;chuck a modicum of cash at the team and we will join the big boys in the Prem ,and make some real money ?They must now know that it does not work like that,and it’s time to cash in their chips ?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: How likely is it that the Dai s will cash in their ownership ?

by From Despair To Where? » 06 May 2021 10:07

Westwood52 The Owners probably had high hopes for this season;
Did they? Next to no spend, 3 consecutive seasons in the bottom half only to once again see those hopes crash and burn Best season under them. Crash & Burn? Are you sure? I see steady improvementYou do wonder how much due diligence they undertook,when making their considerable investment I dont wonder at all, they are experienced business people, one of whom has lived in Britain for 25 years and has citizenship, they're hardly fresh off the boat Were they so naive,that they thought ;chuck a modicum of cash at the team and we will join the big boys in the Prem ,and make some real money? Doubt it. The amount of infrastructure investment, has been impressive and doesn't strike me as the actions of someone looking to make a quick buck. That English football outside the Premiership is a money pit isn't exactly breaking news.They must now know that it does not work like that,and it’s time to cash in their chips. They undoubtedly knew that beforehand, having tried to invest in English football before and already owning 2 other clubs. They probably wish they could spend more, they certainly have the means to do so but are restricted by FFP? Not seen any suggestion they want to sell up. This all just seems like unfounded doom and gloom scaremongering

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 May 2021 10:18

I guess some of the speculation comes from not really knowing what their motivation for owning the club was

Very much doubt it was to try to make money out of it as such. Doesn't seem to be much chance of them being rich fans like Morris at Derby.

It seems to be as much about having the status of owning a club as much as anything. Ideally that being a club in the Premier league. in which case they are more than likely to hang around following the progress over the last 2 years

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 May 2021 10:24

Anton was a dreamer and an idiot. The Thais were possibly naive but they were the best option at the time and started the climb out on an, Anton sized hole. I have much more confidence in the current owners than either of them. They've made mistakes but they do seem to learn from them and are not afraid to act.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 06 May 2021 10:51

Cash in? How exactly do you sell a massive financial black hole - and to whom?

Surely the world is running out of the type of idiots who want to see their money washed away down football's plughole?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 May 2021 11:02

Dirk Gently Cash in? How exactly do you sell a massive financial black hole - and to whom?

Surely the world is running out of the type of idiots who want to see their money washed away down football's plughole?

Well, I keep doing the EuroLottery

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 06 May 2021 11:21

Snowball
Dirk Gently Cash in? How exactly do you sell a massive financial black hole - and to whom?

Well, I keep doing the EuroLottery

I don't think that would touch the current position at Reading. I have often thought that if i won the euros would I buy a lower league club like Hungerford and see if I could get them to the football league.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 May 2021 11:39

dunno, its a drop in the ocean to them.

Its like buying an expensive car. you know its a waste of money, and it will deprecate but you want the status

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 May 2021 11:40

The sooner we get someone not hell bent on sacking managers every five minutes, and willing to run the club on a more sustainable footing the better.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 May 2021 11:42

Form an orderly queue.....

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 May 2021 11:49

Not sure exactly when (probably after the opening run) but "suddenly"
pundits and amateurs like Dellor started saying that the owners expected
promotion and wouldn't be happy with less.

But have we ever heard this FROM the owners, explicitly?

Having had years of low-finishes and near-relegation form,
and being under investigation, soft embargoes etc
why would anyone in their right mind EXPECT promotion?

yuomi

by yuomi » 06 May 2021 12:55

From Despair To Where? Anton was a dreamer and an idiot. The Thais were possibly naive but they were the best option at the time and started the climb out on an, Anton sized hole. I have much more confidence in the current owners than either of them. They've made mistakes but they do seem to learn from them and are not afraid to act.

Anton was terrible, yes, but the Thais were far from naive. Pairoj and Jack Srisumrid were Shinawatra's guys at Man City and it was them who introduced, for better or worse, Joorabchian to the club.

Not much point trying to second guess Dai. There's a lot in what VP was saying yesterday that makes me think he's been lucky to keep his job since we failed to make the playoffs, and I suspect whatever happens this summer it won't be boring.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 May 2021 13:25

Snowflake Royal The sooner we get someone not hell bent on sacking managers every five minutes, and willing to run the club on a more sustainable footing the better.

arguably the manager sacking hasn't been particularly harmful

Stam was sacked too late, but we've slowly progressed from pretty much the rock bottom of Stam season 2 ever since

whether that'd have happened any quicker if we'd kept PC, Gomes or Bowen is arguable but quite probably unlikely, esp in Gomes case.

They've built and financed a cracking new training ground and invested in the academy. Thats aiming to run the club on a more sustainable footing. If we get decent money in for Olise if we sell thats pretty much done that already.

yep they screwed up badly with the Gourlay era but been good signs ever since really

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 10 May 2021 15:03

From Despair To Where? Form an orderly queue.....

But only British candidates please.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 May 2021 23:00

An American backed outfit are interested in Swindon. :roll:

Though legal complexities have stalled that deal.

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1