Injury watch 2021/22

948 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Injury watch 2021/22

by Hound » 02 Jul 2021 08:19

Puscas got crocked with Romania didn’t he?

Meite’s injury happens. Guess they are looking at some of the recurring ones - Swift, Yiadom etc. Those were certainly disappointing

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jul 2021 08:42

Yeah I think Puscas did come back from international duty with an injury.

Tbf to Swift, he has tried to adapt to recurring injuries, heard that he even had to change his running style.

Injury to Meite could happen anywhere, falling down the stairs, off a bike, or in pre-season training, it is just unfortunate.

I am sure we view our injuries as being the most annoying, but I would imagine it is the same for nearly every other club out there, we are obviously more focused on our own players and get more news about them.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 02 Jul 2021 09:09

SCIAG
paultheroyal ACL - minimum 9 months - he’s out for season. FFS.

That's incorrect. Average downtime after reconstruction is 6.5 months out of training and 7.4 months out of competition. The best case scenario (and this is very unlikely) is three months out of training and another two weeks to regain match fitness, in which case he could be back playing in mid-October. I would say that the chances of Meite playing before the New Year are about the same as the chances of the injury ending his career, although there is a very high chance the quality of his play will be affected. It is entirely reasonable to expect him to be playing in February or March, though of course it is by no means guaranteed.

Source: https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/50/12/744.long

Rubbish - and that is from my own experience. 9 months is the target date for any sort of return - impact and full fitness, but for a professional footballer he needs to get fully fit. He wont play in 21/22 season.

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 02 Jul 2021 09:48

We do seem to have a lot of niggling injuries compared to others

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Jul 2021 11:04

NathStPaul It has to change? How are you suggesting accidental injuries don't happen? Make training non-contact? Bubble wrap the players?

It is called bad luck, it happens.

The bubble wrap idea made me chuckle :lol:
Please make it happen as a requirement of the PL

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jul 2021 11:14

I'd watch it.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Jul 2021 12:24

[quote="paultheroyal"][quote="SCIAG"][quote="paultheroyal"]ACL - minimum 9 months - he’s out for season. FFS.[/quote]
That's incorrect. Average downtime after reconstruction is 6.5 months out of training and 7.4 months out of competition. The best case scenario (and this is very unlikely) is three months out of training and another two weeks to regain match fitness, in which case he could be back playing in mid-October. I would say that the chances of Meite playing before the New Year are about the same as the chances of the injury ending his career, although there is a very high chance the quality of his play will be affected. It is entirely reasonable to expect him to be playing in February or March, though of course it is by no means guaranteed.

Source: https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/50/12/744.long[/quote]

Rubbish - and that is from my own experience. 9 months is the target date for any sort of return - impact and full fitness, but for a professional footballer he needs to get fully fit. He wont play in 21/22 season.[/quote]

NHS guidelines say return to ‘normal activity’ is between 6 weeks and 6 months. I would imagine there are many caveats around that ! For a start do we know the severity of the injury ? Meite will be extremely fit and have the best rehab possible which should shorten the recovery. On the other hand he’ll need to recover to a much higher level than your ordinary patient given the job he does. I think missing the season would be pessimistic, making it back for Xmas wildly optimistic. Hopefully we get a nice boost for the final quarter with a pumped up Yak returning to bolster our promotion push....

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Jul 2021 12:29

Hendo

I'd watch it.

Yes, yes, yes
Shoulder to shoulder contact’s going to be interesting

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 02 Jul 2021 12:33

Is Araruna still injured?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Jul 2021 12:35

paultheroyal
SCIAG

Rubbish - and that is from my own experience. 9 months is the target date for any sort of return - impact and full fitness, but for a professional footballer he needs to get fully fit. He wont play in 21/22 season.

OK, I’ll email Dr Walden and tell him that the players he studied never actually existed and that everyone who gets an ACL injury will be out for at least nine months because that’s how long it took one random bloke.

The fact is that professional footballers are typically back in competition in much less than 9 months.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Jul 2021 12:35

Reading FC Announcement

Will all male fans between the ages of 16 and 60
please bring their boots to games...

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Jul 2021 12:49

NHS

"Recovering from anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) knee surgery can take up to a year. After knee surgery, the wound will be closed with stitches or surgical clips. If the stitches are dissolvable, they should disappear after about 3 weeks. If your stitches are not dissolvable, they'll need to be removed by a healthcare professional."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Barca

https://barcainnovationhub.com/recovery ... -football/

Analysis of 78 elite teams from 16 European Countries:

“Coming back to competition a year after suffering an ACL injury was high (85.8%); however, only 65% (60 out of 93 players) were capable of competing at the highest level three years later.”

(SB) Amazed to see that there is an average of 0.4 ACL ruptures PER CLUB per year. ie one ACL injury more or less every other year

The average downtime after ACL reconstruction was of 6.6 months to come back to training and of 7.4 months to come back to competition.

++++++++++++++++

Virgil van Dijk

Still out?

Ruud van Nistelroy was out NINE MONTHS but went on to score 150 goals in 219 games for Man Utd

Xavi

Xavi was out FIVE months, came back into a side that one La Liga first season back plus fiver more La Liga titles, four Champions League wins, two Euro wins and one World Cup

PIRES was out for more than six months, missed the 2002 World Cup. Came back for Arsenal in 2003-04 season and scored 19 goals

Zlatan Ibrahimovic

In April 2017, then 35-year-old Manchester United striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic suffered cruciate knee-ligament damage in the final minute of normal time during a Europa League quarter-final second-leg win over Anderlecht.

He was expected to be out for a full year and there were fears that that was his career over, but he actually returned after seven months.

In typical style, Zlatan said: "Lions don't recover like humans."

At the age of 39, he's still going strong. He scored 11 goals in 20 appearances for AC Milan last season and is currently Serie A's top scorer this term.

ROY KEANE

ROY KEANE

This one is probably the most ugly and controversial example in the list. In September 1997, as Manchester United faced bitter rivals Leeds United, captain Roy Keane clashed with Norwegian defender Alf-Inge Haaland throughout.

Towards the end of the game, Keane tried to trip his opponent, but his studs caught in the turf and he ended up tearing his cruciate ligament.

It took until the following campaign for Keane to return and it was quite a return too - Manchester United won a famous treble that year.

The story didn't quite end there though. In 2001, Keane met Haaland again during the Manchester derby and committed a horror foul that Haaland has suggested ended his career.
In Keane's autobiography, he suggests that it was revenge: "I'd waited long enough. I hit him hard."

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 02 Jul 2021 14:25

SCIAG
paultheroyal
SCIAG That's incorrect. Average downtime after reconstruction is 6.5 months out of training and 7.4 months out of competition. The best case scenario (and this is very unlikely) is three months out of training and another two weeks to regain match fitness, in which case he could be back playing in mid-October. I would say that the chances of Meite playing before the New Year are about the same as the chances of the injury ending his career, although there is a very high chance the quality of his play will be affected. It is entirely reasonable to expect him to be playing in February or March, though of course it is by no means guaranteed.

OK, I’ll email Dr Walden and tell him that the players he studied never actually existed and that everyone who gets an ACL injury will be out for at least nine months because that’s how long it took one random bloke.

The fact is that professional footballers are typically back in competition in much less than 9 months.

Come back to me at Christmas to tell me i was wrong then, i will be waiting.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 02 Jul 2021 16:36

Simon's Church Is Araruna still injured?

Who??

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 02 Jul 2021 16:38

paultheroyal
SCIAG
paultheroyal

Are you Santa Claus?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jul 2021 16:48

paultheroyal
SCIAG

People are tired of experts. Of course Ptr is right because he's had a similar injury once.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Jul 2021 16:52

paultheroyal
SCIAG
paultheroyal

I think SCIAG's point is that he had taken evidence from a study published in the British Medical Journal citing 157 such injuries over a 15 year period. Compared to one person's anecdotal evidence, it carries a lot more weight. He's even stated that there is a huge variance in recovery time but is useful as a guide to potentailly how long it could take.

.and why would he come back to you at Christmas when he's stated February or March as a potential target date, given the evidence of the study?

What I take from it is that we could see him back for the 2 months of the season but there's no guarantee.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Jul 2021 18:45

From Despair To Where?
paultheroyal
SCIAG OK, I’ll email Dr Walden and tell him that the players he studied never actually existed and that everyone who gets an ACL injury will be out for at least nine months because that’s how long it took one random bloke.

I think SCIAG's point is that he had taken evidence from a study published in the British Medical Journal citing 157 such injuries over a 15 year period. Compared to one person's anecdotal evidence, it carries a lot more weight. He's even stated that there is a huge variance in recovery time but is useful as a guide to potentailly how long it could take.

.and why would he come back to you at Christmas when he's stated February or March as a potential target date, given the evidence of the study?

What I take from it is that we could see him back for the 2 months of the season but there's no guarantee.

Well said.

It could end his career. He could be back before Christmas. There are a lot of possibilities. February/March is most likely but it could be earlier or later or never at all.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Jul 2021 18:57

Paul Canoville suffered a similar injury back 1986, he was out for 10 months. he came back the following season but broke down again and he retired from professional football in November 1987.
He did play later occasionally in non league circles but that injury effectively finished his career.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Jul 2021 19:05

A cruciate ligament injury was almost certainly a career ender in the 80's but there have been massive improvements in treatment and rehabilitation in the intervening 35 years.

Whilst he may never come back the same player, the prognosis is significantly better than it would have been in Cannoville's era.

I think the bigger issue unlike, muscle or bone injuries, is that ligaments don't repair back to full strength, there will always be a weakness.

948 posts