Injury watch 2021/22

948 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Injury watch 2021/22

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2022 12:59

windermereROYAL My bad, haven`t checked this thread in a while, very happy to keep you entertained.

Tbf, I wouldn't read me zip or hendo either.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Apr 2022 10:32

James Earnshaw on Twitter day Swift will be “lucky” to be available for Luton. Odd given he was touch and go for yesterday.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Apr 2022 16:47

Yeah thought he was likely back for Monday before

Tbh take everything ince says on injuries as nonsense tbh. Seems to make it up as he goes

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 29 Apr 2022 12:19

Ince admits why we may have so many injuries.

We don't stretch enough. Clearly that's from bad coaching.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... m-23814660

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Apr 2022 12:21

Royal_jimmy Ince admits why we may have so many injuries.

Possibly, but professional footballers should know how much they need to stretch before a game/training.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 29 Apr 2022 14:00

Hendo

Possibly, but professional footballers should know how much they need to stretch before a game/training.

45 minutes before training and 45 minutes after, when Ince was at Inter. :shock:

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Apr 2022 14:04

Hendo

Just out of curiosity (as there has been a big media focus this week on staff, or lack of), do we actually have any sports scientists in the first team squad? Or does anyone know how "big" that department is?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Apr 2022 14:08

YorkshireRoyal99
Hendo

Just out of curiosity (as there has been a big media focus this week on staff, or lack of), do we actually have any sports scientists in the first team squad? Or does anyone know how "big" that department is?

Can’t even check that by referring to the club’s team photo this season

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 29 Apr 2022 14:09

Josh Bowen, Mark's son, is Head of Sports Science. Matt Hirons is Head Physio, he's been here ages. Academy have similar, guess the whole department is 7–8?

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/club/whos-who

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Apr 2022 14:15

So, in other words, we've only actually got a Head of Sports Science and Head Physio? Is that really enough to look after a 25-ish man first team squad as well as the academy players as well?

I don't know what other clubs have, it just seems we made a significant cut in our playing staff last season as well, being understaffed, if that's the case, might be a factor for both Ince and Pauno this season on the injury front.

Something else that needs addressing drastically going into next season, if that's the case.

kevan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by kevan » 29 Apr 2022 14:25

On the other hand 6 or 7 professionals should surely have spotted something as simple as stretching, they have known there was a problem all season

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Apr 2022 14:36

YorkshireRoyal99 So, in other words, we've only actually got a Head of Sports Science and Head Physio? Is that really enough to look after a 25-ish man first team squad as well as the academy players as well?

I don't know what other clubs have, it just seems we made a significant cut in our playing staff last season as well, being understaffed, if that's the case, might be a factor for both Ince and Pauno this season on the injury front.

Something else that needs addressing drastically going into next season, if that's the case.

You are only correct if you ignore the bit about there being 6 or 7 in the department....

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Apr 2022 14:45

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99 So, in other words, we've only actually got a Head of Sports Science and Head Physio? Is that really enough to look after a 25-ish man first team squad as well as the academy players as well?

You are only correct if you ignore the bit about there being 6 or 7 in the department....

Obviously the U23 and U18 staff won't be dealing with the first team affairs though will they.

In terms of the first team squad, we are talking about 2 people to manage a 25 man squad. Unless the U23 and U18 staff do have an input on the first team, which also doesn't really help the situation overall at the club either.

Also, I can only see 3 members of staff with a Sports Science, Medicine or Physiotherapy title as their job roles. Who are the other 3 or 4 people in this role?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Apr 2022 15:02

Hendo

Tbf that’s just Ince speculating. Not saying he isn’t right, but it’s not a fully informed comment about the stretching

Definitely can’t have another season like this one next year with the injuries though. It’s been absolutely ridiculous

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Apr 2022 15:20

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

Obviously the U23 and U18 staff won't be dealing with the first team affairs though will they.

In terms of the first team squad, we are talking about 2 people to manage a 25 man squad. Unless the U23 and U18 staff do have an input on the first team, which also doesn't really help the situation overall at the club either.

Also, I can only see 3 members of staff with a Sports Science, Medicine or Physiotherapy title as their job roles. Who are the other 3 or 4 people in this role?

They’ll deploy staff as necessary. If a first teamer needs treatment they’ll get it ahead of an academy player (clinical needs allowing).
We’ve done it with coaching staff this season can’t see an academy physio looking at Swift and saying ‘sorry mate, I know your calf is a bit sore but I only do the kids and what if one of them needs me ?’

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Apr 2022 15:58

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

They’ll deploy staff as necessary. If a first teamer needs treatment they’ll get it ahead of an academy player (clinical needs allowing).
We’ve done it with coaching staff this season can’t see an academy physio looking at Swift and saying ‘sorry mate, I know your calf is a bit sore but I only do the kids and what if one of them needs me ?’

Yeah true but in terms of looking at injury prevention, strength and conditioning, it just seems difficult to see 3 members of staff in total (as far as I can see anyway) manage the first team squad, U23's and U18's as well.

I think we can all agree that it does need to improve and we could probably benefit from potentially doubling the number of staff we have in this area across the first team and academy, so having something such as 6 in total. That's just a complete guess, I don't know how many other clubs employ across the first team and academy.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Apr 2022 16:13

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99

Yeah true but in terms of looking at injury prevention, strength and conditioning, it just seems difficult to see 3 members of staff in total (as far as I can see anyway) manage the first team squad, U23's and U18's as well.

I think we can all agree that it does need to improve and we could probably benefit from potentially doubling the number of staff we have in this area across the first team and academy, so having something such as 6 in total. That's just a complete guess, I don't know how many other clubs employ across the first team and academy.

Doubling the number of staff to take it to what we have now ?
The listing on the club website is not a complete listing of every member of staff !,,,,,
Obvious example - it lists the kit manager but we have an assistant kit manager
It lists the Ticket office manager but we have ticket office staff too.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Apr 2022 16:37

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

The listing on the club website is not a complete listing of every member of staff !,,,,,

Going back to my original point then, who are they and how many do we have? It just seems like we are guessing.

I only raised the question as we seemed to have significantly cut down our playing staff from last season.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Apr 2022 16:46

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99

Going back to my original point then, who are they and how many do we have? It just seems like we are guessing.

I only raised the question as we seemed to have significantly cut down our playing staff from last season.

The club don’t provide a list of all the staff they employ.
They quite possibly outsource some of the work anyway as need will vary.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Apr 2022 16:56

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

The club don’t provide a list of all the staff they employ.
They quite possibly outsource some of the work anyway as need will vary.

Possibly. It just seems as if a potential staffing shortage in that area could be a factor to our injury record this season. Granted, I haven't heard/seen anyone at the club mention anything on it either.

948 posts