Academy breakthroughs 21/22

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Academy breakthroughs 21/22

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Jul 2021 09:01

Our squad looks very thin with the news of Olise most likely being sold and Meite's injury. Even the much derided Aluko and Baldock (who I am very glad to see leave the club) added depth last year.

Finances are tight for replacements and, though I expect the club to find a way of strengthening the squad a little, it's also very obvious that we'll need some academy products to step up. I make it sound negative, but it's a great opportunity too.

So, who is most likely to make an impact? Tetek is the most obvious candidate; he had opportunities last season and looks like he could well be ready. I expect Bristow and Samuels to get an opportunity too, given we have no senior left back.

The other obvious area is in the wide attacking areas, but it's not clear who is ready. Femi Azeez has signed a new contract, but if you look at his career to date I'm not convinced he's ready. Bracknell Town to the Championship is quite a step up, though I guess Rinomhota's previous experience was at Porchester.

Have I missed anybody? I'm not talking about kids who will play in the league cup; I mean ones who have the potential to be a reliable squad option over a 46 game season.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Academy breakthroughs 21/22

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2021 10:49

WestYorksRoyal Our squad looks very thin with the news of Olise most likely being sold and Meite's injury. Even the much derided Aluko and Baldock (who I am very glad to see leave the club) added depth last year.

Finances are tight for replacements and, though I expect the club to find a way of strengthening the squad a little, it's also very obvious that we'll need some academy products to step up. I make it sound negative, but it's a great opportunity too.

So, who is most likely to make an impact? Tetek is the most obvious candidate; he had opportunities last season and looks like he could well be ready. I expect Bristow and Samuels to get an opportunity too, given we have no senior left back.

The other obvious area is in the wide attacking areas, but it's not clear who is ready. Femi Azeez has signed a new contract, but if you look at his career to date I'm not convinced he's ready. Bracknell Town to the Championship is quite a step up, though I guess Rinomhota's previous experience was at Porchester.

Have I missed anybody? I'm not talking about kids who will play in the league cup; I mean ones who have the potential to be a reliable squad option over a 46 game season.

The obvious one's you've missed are the keepers. however they are also the least likely to actually be needed.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Jul 2021 11:09

With the likes of Sakho, Bellingham performing on the european stage - age holds no boundaries if you are good enough.

Put them in....

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 07 Jul 2021 11:35

paultheroyal With the likes of Sakho, Bellingham performing on the european stage - age holds no boundaries if you are good enough.

Put them in....

Yes, but Bellingham was a class act at that age, not sure that's the same for our 'boys' ...

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Jul 2021 12:08

Bristow is the one who looks to have the clearest route but I’m not at all convinced that he’s up to it. Similarly Samuels seems to be developing into a winger… but then so was Jordan Obita.

I actually wonder whether Dorsett or Abbey might be shifted over to left back. They look closer to being ready than Bristow and we’ve had success putting centre backs at full back recently. They’re fifth and sixth choice at centre back so a long way down the pecking order.

Would Southwood count as a breakthrough?

There’s quite a lot young wide forwards/attacking midfielders. Azeez is the most high profile but Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan is the one I think might do an “Olise”.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 07 Jul 2021 12:53

Tetek is the most likely I think. Suspect he will be first choice replacement for Josh/Rino.

I hope Dorsett gets a good season too. Seen him in a couple of U23 games where he looked decent. Likely 5th choice centreback but hasn''t done TMac and Holmes much harm in the past couple of seasons.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jul 2021 13:53

Definitely Tetek. Liked the look of him

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 07 Jul 2021 21:43

There is Nahum Melvin-Lambert who has been on loan in Ireland. A big talent in the U 18`s is Harvey Maunder who is an attacking mid fielder who scored plenty of goals last season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jul 2021 12:33

SCIAG Bristow is the one who looks to have the clearest route but I’m not at all convinced that he’s up to it. Similarly Samuels seems to be developing into a winger… but then so was Jordan Obita.

I actually wonder whether Dorsett or Abbey might be shifted over to left back. They look closer to being ready than Bristow and we’ve had success putting centre backs at full back recently. They’re fifth and sixth choice at centre back so a long way down the pecking order.

Would Southwood count as a breakthrough?

There’s quite a lot young wide forwards/attacking midfielders. Azeez is the most high profile but Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan is the one I think might do an “Olise”.

Bristow has looked a little way away, but who knows with a bit of support and a couple of good early games.

We coped with Richards for a few years before he was really that good.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Jul 2021 13:39

Looks like Boyce-Clarke will be heading off to Bath for some pre-season training and playing in some pre-season games for them. Would imagine a loan deal will follow. Would be good experience for him, isn't likely to get on our bench ahead of Southwood.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Jul 2021 17:43

Tetek or one of Bristow/Samuels hopefully. I can see the academy players seeing a real opportunity now. Olise and Nevers went to the PL, Richards to Bayern and Loader to Porto. Reckon they should be motivated.

Holmes and McIntyre obviously ahowing you can break in too.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Jul 2021 09:04

Hendo Looks like Boyce-Clarke will be heading off to Bath for some pre-season training and playing in some pre-season games for them. Would imagine a loan deal will follow. Would be good experience for him, isn't likely to get on our bench ahead of Southwood.

Yep from what I have seen Boyce-Clarke isn’t ready to step up yet. He has plenty of time and doesn’t need to be rushed. Besides Andresson would be third choice.

Tetek and Bristow look the most likely to step up from what I have seen. It’s been one of the positives in recent seasons seeing youngsters stepping up from the Academy. We just need to try and find a way of keeping hold of them for longer or at least having them on longer contracts. Losing Olise, Loader, Richards and Nevers for not very much has been disappointing.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Jul 2021 12:03

I wonder if there could be some left field ones. I'll admit that when Gomes gave Olise his debut, I'd never heard of him and was more hopeful about Loader. Similarly, Rinomhota has started a few league cup games but he wasn't being singled out as a potential first team player until he broke through and proved it. Hopefully someone unexpected can give our squad a boost this season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jul 2021 16:42

Andresson could be a wild card. Think the club really rate him and had a very good loan spell. Obvs would need an injury to Rafael first

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 09 Jul 2021 17:04

Surprised no one has mentioned Mamdi Camara. From what I've heard the club have high hopes for him.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 12 Jul 2021 21:50

Anyone heard of the lad that scored against Lincoln City at the weekend?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jul 2021 08:15

3points Anyone heard of the lad that scored against Lincoln City at the weekend?

Check out the preseason thread, I think it is. Discussed there.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jul 2021 08:21

RG30 Surprised no one has mentioned Mamdi Camara. From what I've heard the club have high hopes for him.

Yep, heard some good things - thought he looked lively vs Luton as well

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 13 Jul 2021 09:08

+1

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2021 08:02

Won’t be Jokull then - signs a 3 year deal but spending the season on loan with morecambe