If it started tomorrow.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: If it started tomorrow.

by Hound » 20 Jul 2021 13:30

be interesting to see if Edwards plays tomorrow. be a good sign if we're serious about bringing him in

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 20 Jul 2021 13:38

How about a different formation that plays to what we actually have.

Cabral
Morrison, Moore, McIntyre
Yiadom Rinomhota, Laurent, Bristow
Swift, Ejaria
Joao.

Southwood, Puscas, Holmes, Dorsett, Tetek, Camera, Melvin-Lambert

With our squad right now. revert to 3 at the back. Bristow is only option on the left so double up with TMac behind him. Allows a little freedom for Swift and Ejaria to drift and find space and if its not working, Tmac can push into CM and we go 4 at the back.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2021 13:49

McIntyre is prob more LB than CM I'd say

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 20 Jul 2021 14:24

Oh yeah totally agree.
I should have mentioned - go to 4 at the back with out making a substitution.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 20 Jul 2021 15:17

McNulty is a strange one.Presumably this is the last year of his contract;his overall goal scoring record is pretty good, its just that it is at a level below the Championship.Might be worth one last punt ?Is he even training with us,or is he still at Dundee ?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2021 15:52

Westwood52 McNulty is a strange one.Presumably this is the last year of his contract;his overall goal scoring record is pretty good, its just that it is at a level below the Championship.Might be worth one last punt ?Is he even training with us,or is he still at Dundee ?

not training with us from the look of it

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jul 2021 12:23

Coppells Lost Coat How about a different formation that plays to what we actually have.

Cabral
Morrison, Moore, McIntyre
Yiadom Rinomhota, Laurent, Bristow
Swift, Ejaria
Joao.

Southwood, Puscas, Holmes, Dorsett, Tetek, Camera, Melvin-Lambert

With our squad right now. revert to 3 at the back. Bristow is only option on the left so double up with TMac behind him. Allows a little freedom for Swift and Ejaria to drift and find space and if its not working, Tmac can push into CM and we go 4 at the back.

Don't mind that at all. Also wouldn't mind swapping one of Swift or Ejaria for Puscas to get 2 up.

Both offer some width.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 21 Jul 2021 14:06

Well , if it all started today , it doesn’t matter what players you put out , in any formation you like , we will get slaughtered ! There’s not sufficient numbers or ability ! Very concerned by the lack of activity by the club !

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Jul 2021 14:18

Once upon a time . Well , if it all started today , it doesn’t matter what players you put out , in any formation you like , we will get slaughtered ! There’s not sufficient numbers or ability ! Very concerned by the lack of activity by the club !

Really?

You're telling me a starting XI of this would get slaughtered?

Rafael

Yiadom, Moore, Morrison, TMc

Laurent, Rhino

Puscas, Swift, Ovie

Joao

Don't see it.

The bench is weak, yes, but the starting XI is more than good enough to compete.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 21 Jul 2021 15:25

Very competitive starting 11.
Bench is weak and no established LB - but hands are tied so cant do any deals so cant really be surprised.
But what a fantastic chance for some of the youngsters. There is a real opportunity for them and I look forward to them upping there game.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Jul 2021 15:50

Coppells Lost Coat Very competitive starting 11.
Bench is weak and no established LB - but hands are tied so cant do any deals so cant really be surprised.
But what a fantastic chance for some of the youngsters. There is a real opportunity for them and I look forward to them upping there game.

+1

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 21 Jul 2021 16:17

Yes , I stick with my opinion . Hendo , I look at your team and I see a gk who can be good but is suspect at times , a defence with one cb returning from injury and a year older , the other cb who leaves a bit to be desired and can be dominated . Lb , promising but unproven . Two capable midfielders in front , but who are likely to get overloaded , and if one or both get injured ( where’s the cavalry ). . Then 2 physically week forward midfielders , and one yet to prove himself in any position . Then Joao who is not likely to see the ball ! The bench —- what bench !
The good news , if there is any , is that I’m sure we will make signings . We must !
I not blaming or accusing you mate , it’s just the position we have got ourselves into ( according to my judgment which I’m prepared to be judged on )

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 21 Jul 2021 16:17

Royal Monkey I guess it’s Olise,Richards and Meite with a long term injury. Squad is worryingly thin at the moment couple of injuries to the likes of Joao and Swift and we really are batting uphill.

You got to be joking?.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Jul 2021 16:38

Once upon a time . Yes , I stick with my opinion . Hendo , I look at your team and I see a gk who can be good but is suspect at times , a defence with one cb returning from injury and a year older , the other cb who leaves a bit to be desired and can be dominated . Lb , promising but unproven . Two capable midfielders in front , but who are likely to get overloaded , and if one or both get injured ( where’s the cavalry ). . Then 2 physically week forward midfielders , and one yet to prove himself in any position . Then Joao who is not likely to see the ball ! The bench —- what bench !
The good news , if there is any , is that I’m sure we will make signings . We must !
I not blaming or accusing you mate , it’s just the position we have got ourselves into ( according to my judgment which I’m prepared to be judged on )

:|

Goalkeeper who kept the second most clean sheets last season?

Why does it matter if a player is returning from injury? Players return from injuries all the time, there is nothing to suggest that Morro is going to get any worse because he is a year older.

Moore can be dominated, but he has been mostly very good player for us.

Why are Laurent and Rino going to be overloaded this year when they weren't for the most part last year? I'm also not worried about them getting injured as they seem pretty naturally fit.

I didn't know you being physically strong was the key component to being an attacking midfielder, I thought it was creativity, and Swift and Ejaria are potentially 2 of the best in the league.

Puscas has a goal every 3.5 games for us, I'm totally fine with him playing as striker or out wide/cutting inside/getting up with Joao.

Why isn't Joao likely to see the ball? What evidence do you have of this?

I agree the bench is weak, but as others have said, it is a fantastic opportunity for youngsters to step up.

I take umbrage to your claim we would get slaughtered every week, when there is absolute nothing to support that, given the starting XI isn't actually that far from last season, when we actually did alright.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jul 2021 17:30

Hendo
Coppells Lost Coat Very competitive starting 11.

+1

And another. Realistically we could finish anywhere from top 10 to bottom.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 21 Jul 2021 17:32

Without new signings and with our recent injury record I fully expect 3-4 of our core players to be out of action by the end of September - in which case we would then have to play U23's to fill the gaps.

Therefore, if the FL doesn't allow us to sign anyone and we get our normal injuries, I think we are pretty much relegation fodder. If they allow us to sign 5 or so good frees or loans we might have a chance of being competitive. It probably depends on whether the FL want to make an example of us. Quite surprised they have been so lenient to Derby - although that might be because Derby are definitely getting a points deduction for dodgy accounting and the FL don't want to be accused of relegating Derby before the season even starts.

So my prediction is that we are more likely to be nearer L1 than the PL by May.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Jul 2021 22:39

We have the makings of a relegation squad. Not on quality but depth. None of the academy lads look ready for regular championship football. We need 5 or 6 signings in reality or this will be a struggle.

1 CB - Morrison will likely get slower
1 LB - hopefully someone proven. The trialists doesn't look great
1 DM
2 Wingers
1 Striker

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Jul 2021 22:45

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip
He does but I have said for a long time (about two years) that he is a poor crosser and often avoids crossing. He is a good fullback but I would rather keep it that way than try and play him in a position he isn’t suited to.
Ejaria is an odd one. For someone so skilful the lack of goals and assists is strange. He is the player I would expect to win pens with his trickery but it rarely happens.

He is suited to the way we play wingers though. He likes to cut inside and shoot. Same as Olise did, same as Meite did.

You think wingers should play differently to how we play them, that's fine. But you should recognise by now that's not how we currently play.

It still makes no sense that you'd criticise a lack of traditional wingers in my team, when we have none and the whole point is play with what we've got, and prefer a team with absolutely zero width.

I give up Ian. I have explained that if width is needed Yiadom can overlap from the full back position and Ejaria can drift wide on the other flank. Nothing for me to say here.

Ignore Ian he just wants us to get relegated

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Jul 2021 09:13

andrew1957 Without new signings and with our recent injury record I fully expect 3-4 of our core players to be out of action by the end of September - in which case we would then have to play U23's to fill the gaps.

Therefore, if the FL doesn't allow us to sign anyone and we get our normal injuries, I think we are pretty much relegation fodder. If they allow us to sign 5 or so good frees or loans we might have a chance of being competitive. It probably depends on whether the FL want to make an example of us. Quite surprised they have been so lenient to Derby - although that might be because Derby are definitely getting a points deduction for dodgy accounting and the FL don't want to be accused of relegating Derby before the season even starts.

So my prediction is that we are more likely to be nearer L1 than the PL by May.

Agreed. Also worth bearing in mind we are on a run of just one win in our last eleven games and our squad is considerably thinner now. You can always expect a number of players to be out injured throughout much of the season. With what we currently it would only take four or five injuries to leave us with a weakish starting 11 with almost nothing on the bench.

We do need to bring players in but mustn’t panic just yet. We have another 5/6 weeks before the window closes and there could be some good options (especially PL loanees) that could make a big difference. The EFL will presumably relent shortly as we should be able to bring in players so that we are up to 23 senior players.

Also a bit concerning that players could still leave. We could probably let Moore go but we really cannot let Swift leave.
Frankly anything above bottom three by next May is fine by me. We are now paying for the excesses of recent seasons.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jul 2021 09:20

I'm not panicking by any means yet

The spine is very strong - Rafael - Moore/Morrison/McIntyre - Rino/Laurent/Swift - Puscas/Joao

We need more productive loans than last year though. First team regulars rather than fill ins. We seem to have a fairly decent network but just didnt quite get the right type of player in last season.

The trialists would do a job for us I think if they were cheap. Bolasie would be nice. Tetek and Azeez look ready to play to me from the U23.