Out of Contract 2022

1018 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Out of Contract 2022

by Hound » 11 May 2022 15:45

Simon's Church Not convinced by any combination of Mcintyre, Holmes, Dann and Morrison tbh, any one of them alongside a fully fit Liam Moore (c) would do a decent job though.

They didn’t last year

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 May 2022 17:39

tidus_mi2
Snowflake Royal
Brogue
please no, he's nowhere near good enough now, he's been great for us and can't help getting old. but we need to let him go.

He's better than Dann. Reckon he'd be fine alongside someone with pace with some midfield protection

What do you base that on? Dann didn't seem to do anything wrong last season but had horrific luck with injuries, before he joined us he was on the back of 7.5 seasons in the Premier League, Morrison meanwhile has never played in the Premier League.

Unless the injuries have set him back massively, which considering his age, is possible, he would otherwise be our best centre back.

I thought Dann was very average and incredibly slow. Much more comfortable on the ball, but I don’t much care about that in a CB.

No doubt several years ago Dann was the better player. Don't care about that. And I don’t think his injuries were especially unlucky, given he's basically retirement age for a pro.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 May 2022 08:45

I care about our CB's being able to play with the ball, I believe it's crucial in the modern game these days and it's where a large proportion of our attacks may start from. If our CB's aren't comfortable on the ball, it could spell trouble for the rest of the team, depending on how we want to play next season. Dann is by far the most comfortable at that out of the lot I'd say.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 May 2022 08:48

YorkshireRoyal99 I care about our CB's being able to play with the ball, I believe it's crucial in the modern game these days and it's where a large proportion of our attacks may start from. If our CB's aren't comfortable on the ball, it could spell trouble for the rest of the team, depending on how we want to play next season. Dann is by far the most comfortable at that out of the lot I'd say.

+1, teams are less likely to press highly if they know both CBs (or all defenders for that matter) are decent on the ball. The high press works so well against us, or has done in the past, because they know they're not great on the ball.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 12 May 2022 10:07

Hound
Simon's Church Not convinced by any combination of Mcintyre, Holmes, Dann and Morrison tbh, any one of them alongside a fully fit Liam Moore (c) would do a decent job though.

They didn’t last year

I think our record was slightly better with him that without him, and dont think he was fully fit but yeah I doubt he'll play for us again so I'm hoping Morrison is let go and we bring in someone new.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 12 May 2022 10:29

Hendo
YorkshireRoyal99 I care about our CB's being able to play with the ball, I believe it's crucial in the modern game these days and it's where a large proportion of our attacks may start from. If our CB's aren't comfortable on the ball, it could spell trouble for the rest of the team, depending on how we want to play next season. Dann is by far the most comfortable at that out of the lot I'd say.

+1, teams are less likely to press highly if they know both CBs (or all defenders for that matter) are decent on the ball. The high press works so well against us, or has done in the past, because they know they're not great on the ball.

They could be Xavi on the ball but if they have a turning circle of a barge and the pace of steam roller they would be awful in defence as a whole. A CB ability should be on how they tackle and stop the opposition. Not if they can Cruyff turn nicely, personally i would rather we concentrate on our midfielders to have that technical ability.
Us playing out from the back this season was painful, slow and laborious not because our cb couldn't pass, it was the lack of options ahead of them and other teams sussed it.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 May 2022 10:34

Coppells Lost Coat
Hendo

They could be Xavi on the ball but if they have a turning circle of a barge and the pace of steam roller they would be awful in defence as a whole. A CB ability should be on how they tackle and stop the opposition. Not if they can Cruyff turn nicely, personally i would rather we concentrate on our midfielders to have that technical ability.
Us playing out from the back this season was painful, slow and laborious not because our cb couldn't pass, it was the lack of options ahead of them and other teams sussed it.

No one is asking them to Cruyff turn on the ball. I just want them to be able to make a 10 yard pass without it looking like they've never seen a football before.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 12 May 2022 10:53

I just want any new defenders to have played for Reading in the past (Hector). If they came through the Academy even better. This goes for any new midfielders, strikers (Austin) and goalkeepers (McCarthy) we bring in.

And if the new manager has played for the club too (Parky) that would be great.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 12 May 2022 11:44

Considering the season he's had, we should really be offering Dorsett a new deal and seeing if he's ready to be part of first team activities or looking to secure him a League One loan.

So looking forward to him moving to someone on a free this Summer.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 May 2022 11:45

Who is to say we haven't.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 May 2022 11:48

Be nice to hear something that we have though

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 May 2022 12:45

Coppells Lost Coat
Hendo

Again, it all comes down to how we want to play. If we want to control the ball, we need CB's who can play. If we are happy to concede possession, we defenders who are good box defenders. Pace isn't always necessary. David Moyes said that, in his Everton days, Alan Stubbs and David Weir could be exposed for a lack of pace, so he introduced Lee Carsley in front to screen them so that they never got caught on the halfway line. I don't know the stats for this, but if our CB's, who are slow, are regularly having to step in and engage and are getting beaten by pace because of the space in behind, we need to introduce a shield in front of our defence (possibly McIntyre really) who can support that.

You can also put a "lack of passing options" down to the lack of ability on the ball to find players in certain positions. A perfect example would be Dann's assist for Swift against Barnsley at home, which earned us 2 more points, because he had the ability to play that pass whereas our other CB's didn't/don't have the capability to hit that pass.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 May 2022 12:58

Hendo

oxf*rd that. Let em come and get it straight into midfield or over the top into space.

Stop fartarsing about with CBs who you want to be Pirlo and there's not much to press.

Short goal kicks are an abomination

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 May 2022 13:00

Hendo
Coppells Lost Coat
Hendo

No one is asking them to Cruyff turn on the ball. I just want them to be able to make a 10 yard pass without it looking like they've never seen a football before.

Then you don't need Dann's superior ability on the ball

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 May 2022 13:33

Snowflake Royal
Hendo

oxf*rd that. Let em come and get it straight into midfield or over the top into space.

Stop fartarsing about with CBs who you want to be Pirlo and there's not much to press.

They don't have to be Pirlo. There won't be much to press if our defenders aren't good on the ball and are not capable. It's all about beating the initial press, working overloads etc. That's partly why defenders get brought into the game to play.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 May 2022 13:40

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
Hendo

They don't have to be Pirlo. There won't be much to press if our defenders aren't good on the ball and are not capable. It's all about beating the initial press, working overloads etc. That's partly why defenders get brought into the game to play.

Then again, you could also argue our best teams haven’t had ball playing defenders in the slightest. Pearce, Gorkss, Sonko etc etc

Appreciate the game has somewhat evolved since then but really don’t think it’s that important. A good manager will choose a style based on the personnel and not the other way around

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 May 2022 13:47

URZZZZ
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal oxf*rd that. Let em come and get it straight into midfield or over the top into space.

Then again, you could also argue our best teams haven’t had ball playing defenders in the slightest. Pearce, Gorkss, Sonko etc etc

Appreciate the game has somewhat evolved since then but really don’t think it’s that important. A good manager will choose a style based on the personnel and not the other way around

Have to take into account all the personnel in the team, not just the CBs. Not sure kicking long, having big brutes at the back works too well if you have the midfield of Swift, Ejaria and co

Mind you in saying that, the passing from the back didn’t exactly work with that bunch either :)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 May 2022 13:50

Hound
URZZZZ
YorkshireRoyal99

Have to take into account all the personnel in the team, not just the CBs. Not sure kicking long, having big brutes at the back works too well if you have the midfield of Swift, Ejaria and co

Mind you in saying that, the passing from the back didn’t exactly work with that bunch either :)

Don’t disagree - been too many imbalances in the squad for too long now

With what could be a mass exodus of players leaving, this is a chance to regroup. Obviously starts with the manager so an appointment is needed ASAP

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 12 May 2022 13:55

Look at all the successful teams that play out from the back - they have a midfield full of movement and technical ability. And thats my point, we could get Laporte at CB and it wouldn't guarantee an improvement of playing out from the back if the midfield dont move for it.

I think we have to face facts, if we want to be successful at playing out from the back we would need to invest heavily on the playing staff and the coaching staff. Which is 100% not going to happen any time soon. Beggars cant be choosers. Dann / Morro are probably in the bracket of better the devil you know. And who knows they may be on lesser money than previous.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 May 2022 14:01

URZZZZ
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal oxf*rd that. Let em come and get it straight into midfield or over the top into space.

Yeah agree with that, a manager will play with what they've got. It was more a personal comment about how I care about the CB's being good with the ball, but that's because I'd like to see us play a good style of football preferably, but obviously results first.

With the chance for the manager (whoever it is), to look to build a side, that's what I'd like to see. Although wouldn't complain about football less on the eye for better quality results, even if only marginally.

1018 posts