Out of Contract 2022

1018 posts
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Out of Contract 2022

by paultheroyal » 16 May 2022 14:17

Snowflake Royal
Hound Well beyond his expiration date? He’s just had his best season for us…

But yes I’m a bit surprised he is considering if indeed he is

As much as OMA seems to be going through one of his unreasonable phases, Swift has been with us a long time. It feels fairly unusual in modern football.

I do think a fresh challenge is probably in his best interests, but if he wants to stay at <£20k with a relegation pay slash clause then we can certainly benefit.

Just our lack of budget means we could use his wages to fund the wages of two decenr players with a better fitness record

:lol:

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 May 2022 14:23

Reports that Halilovic is being let go.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 May 2022 14:26

South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal

As much as OMA seems to be going through one of his unreasonable phases, Swift has been with us a long time. It feels fairly unusual in modern football.

I do think a fresh challenge is probably in his best interests, but if he wants to stay at <£20k with a relegation pay slash clause then we can certainly benefit.

Just our lack of budget means we could use his wages to fund the wages of two decenr players with a better fitness record

That is fine and dandy if the 2 players that we were to sign turn out to be decent and stay fit-quality over quantity?.
I like the idea that Swift will stay as I feel that his contribution could well mean us staying up and for us subsequently have a future in The Championship.

In the past in different circumstances we lost Osborn who arguably was our best ever midfielder and then later on Sidwell another top man in that area-in both instances we suffered badly and I fear that we are going to if Swift does leave.
Top replacements aren't out there just dying to sign for us and nobody of our current squad comes anywhere near him as an attacking midfielder IMHO.

This latest "news" gives me hope.

Yeah good comparisons there particularly with Osborn and Sidwell neither of whom we adequately replaced.
Stranded’s point about this contract being structured in a way that means we pay him less in year one to ease the pressure on the wage bill is also valid.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 May 2022 14:36

Zip
South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal As much as OMA seems to be going through one of his unreasonable phases, Swift has been with us a long time. It feels fairly unusual in modern football.

That is fine and dandy if the 2 players that we were to sign turn out to be decent and stay fit-quality over quantity?.
I like the idea that Swift will stay as I feel that his contribution could well mean us staying up and for us subsequently have a future in The Championship.

In the past in different circumstances we lost Osborn who arguably was our best ever midfielder and then later on Sidwell another top man in that area-in both instances we suffered badly and I fear that we are going to if Swift does leave.
Top replacements aren't out there just dying to sign for us and nobody of our current squad comes anywhere near him as an attacking midfielder IMHO.

Yeah good comparisons there particularly with Osborn and Sidwell neither of whom we adequately replaced.
Stranded’s point about this contract being structured in a way that means we pay him less in year one to ease the pressure on the wage bill is also valid.

Talk about kicking a can down the road. There's no reason to believe that the pressure on our wage budget will be much different in the foreseeable future.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 16 May 2022 15:16

It is the right time for him to move on, it's in his best interests. I think he has become too comfortable here and would benefit from going elsewhere and having something to prove. That doesn't mean I'm saying he is a bad player, just time to move on.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 May 2022 15:44

NathStPaul

It is the right time for him to move on, it's in his best interests. I think he has become too comfortable here and would benefit from going elsewhere and having something to prove. That doesn't mean I'm saying he is a bad player, just time to move on.

Yeah that’s not unreasonable, would broadly agree without knowing much about his own circumstances

(Had this discussion with someone else (nameless?) ) the other day when his move to wba mentioned

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 16 May 2022 15:54

Swift would walk into any championship team. If he decides to stay here then that’s a coup and a catalyst for next season. Make it happen.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 May 2022 16:02

Elm Park Kid
Zip
South Coast Royal

Talk about kicking a can down the road. There's no reason to believe that the pressure on our wage budget will be much different in the foreseeable future.

Of course it kicks a can down the road but in this instance the can has a re-sale value next summer whereas currently, it has none whatsoever.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 May 2022 16:08

Elm Park Kid
Zip
South Coast Royal

We won’t be under a transfer embargo in 12 months time. My view is that we cannot afford to lose both Swift and Joao. That’s a huge number of our goals and assists removed at a stroke. It’s unlikely we can afford to keep them both unless Moore and Puscas are moved on. So one is likely to have to go.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 16 May 2022 16:35

Genuinely believe a lot of contracts depend on the Puscas / Pisa situation. It could allow us a little wriggle room to up a few contracts for renewal to get them over the line. Swift possibly one of them.
Also the Swift talk was started by Jlow....it could just be Swift being polite and al this talk is moot and Jlow getting all the clicks.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 16 May 2022 17:30

I would be shocked if Swift were to stay; it would mean he either got zero interest from other clubs, or else was offered an absolute pittance by way of a signing on fee and salary.

And as I cannot see either (let alone both) of those things happening, then he will be leaving us this Summer.

Any media briefings that he has been offered a deal here which he describes as "reasonable" is merely part of the game - he isn't going to burn his bridges with the club (and fans) on the first offer is he? He knows he can wait to see what else is on the table from other clubs, then he either leaves or else he goes back to negotiate a better deal with Reading.

Don't build up your hopes for him staying.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 May 2022 17:50

Elm Park Kid
Zip
South Coast Royal

Yeah, screams trying to fiddle the figures whilst under high scrutiny.

Just because we oxf*rd up finding replacements before, doesn’t mean it can't be done.

If people have that little faith in our recruitment we're oxf*rd regardless as we've got a lot of it to do whether he stays or goes.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 May 2022 18:26

Snowflake Royal
Elm Park Kid
Zip

Just because we oxf*rd up finding replacements before, doesn’t mean it can't be done.

If people have that little faith in our recruitment we're oxf*rd regardless as we've got a lot of it to do whether he stays or goes.

I don't think anyone can be blamed for having little faith in our recruitment "team" to be fair.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 May 2022 19:09

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
Elm Park Kid

I don't think anyone can be blamed for having little faith in our recruitment "team" to be fair.

It's certainly not great, but it's getting better again.

It's a while since we've signed (m)any total turkeys. Value could still do with work, and goalie loans is rather dodgy, but otherwise ...

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 May 2022 19:13

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Yeah, screams trying to fiddle the figures whilst under high scrutiny.

It's certainly not great, but it's getting better again.

It's a while since we've signed (m)any total turkeys. Value could still do with work, and goalie loans is rather dodgy, but otherwise ...

Hard to disagree really, most bordered from strange to decent signings, some obviously better than others.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 May 2022 13:24

With ince and Bowen now in place can start hazarding a guess and who may stay

Would think fair chance of Tom Ince joining. No doubts they’ll be very keen to keep Laurent as they both love him. Offer out to swift and Yiadom. Ince a big fan of Holmes and a couple of Arsenal youngsters linked. Wary of listening too much to JLow but Joao may well go along with Puscas. Moore v unlikely to stay, and prob Swift as well

So

Southwood
Yiadom
McIntyre
Dann
Holmes
T Ince
Ejaria
Laurent
Meite
F Azeez

With possibly the likes of Tetek, Abrefa, Ehib, Clarke, Thomas, M Azeez, Hutchinson as back up

Need a striker, a keeper and an LB

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 May 2022 14:11

Hound With ince and Bowen now in place can start hazarding a guess and who may stay

Would think fair chance of Tom Ince joining. No doubts they’ll be very keen to keep Laurent as they both love him. Offer out to swift and Yiadom. Ince a big fan of Holmes and a couple of Arsenal youngsters linked. Wary of listening too much to JLow but Joao may well go along with Puscas. Moore v unlikely to stay, and prob Swift as well

So

Southwood
Yiadom
McIntyre
Dann
Holmes
T Ince
Ejaria
Laurent
Meite
F Azeez

With possibly the likes of Tetek, Abrefa, Ehib, Clarke, Thomas, M Azeez, Hutchinson as back up

F Azeez can’t stay fit for more than 2 or 3 games at a time. At this stage he is really only a bench option.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 18 May 2022 15:01

I understand the retained list needs to be with the EFL by Saturday so we should get some indication on who is being released and who has been offered new deals this week

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 May 2022 15:15

Hound With ince and Bowen now in place can start hazarding a guess and who may stay

So

Southwood
Yiadom
McIntyre
Dann
Holmes
T Ince
Ejaria
Laurent
Meite
F Azeez

A word on Omari Hutchinson, he's been called up to Jamaica's first team squad and has been regularly training with the Arsenal first team squad for a couple of months now, so it all sounds promising. Yes, Jamaica are nothing to write home about but they've got a couple of decent players and potentially becoming a full International at 18 is positive as well.

Tetek I imagine will probably earn a place in our squad next season, maybe even starting is Rino leaves. Hopefully Laurent, Hoilett and Holmes will sign new deals, the rest I'm not concerned about/seem unrealistic. Move on Moore and Puscas, reinvest what we can, where we can and definitely bring in another player in each position (defence, midfield, attack) minimum as well as a GK, LB, CB.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 May 2022 15:17

gazzer, loyal royal I understand the retained list needs to be with the EFL by Saturday so we should get some indication on who is being released and who has been offered new deals this week

I thought that sort of thing disappeared with Bosman !
Surely players aren’t ‘retained’ or ‘released’ any more. If a player’s contract expires on 1/6 then he’s a free agent whether we have offered him a new deal or not. Likewise if he has a contract for another year we can’t just wave him off up the road.

1018 posts