Out of Contract 2022

1018 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Out of Contract 2022

by Sutekh » 05 Sep 2021 08:42

In addition to the loans for Tom Dele-Bashiru, Danny Drinkwater and Baba Rahman expiring, the following 18 Reading players are out of contract in the summer of 2022.

Goalkeepers

1. Rafael
  2. Luke Southwood (though the club has an option of extending by a further year)

Defenders

1. Nelson Abbey
  2. Felipe Araruna (also can play midfield but (so far) has looked better as a right back)
  3. Ethan Bristow
  4. Scott Dann
  5. Jeriel Dorsett
  6. Tom Holmes
  7. Michael Morrison
  8. Imari Samuels
  9. Andy Yiadom

Midfielders

1. Alen Halilovic
  2. Junior Hoilett
  3. Josh Laurent
  4. Andy Rinomhota
  5. John Swift

Forwards

1. Femi Azeez
  2. Mark McNulty
  3. Nahum Melvin-Lambert

In addition to the above it wouldn’t surprise me if the following “junior” players, who are on the edge of the first team, were also out of contract, therefore would be interested if anyone can confirm contract dates for the following:

1. Jahmari Clarke
  2. Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan
  3. Kian Leavy

Just for the record, 2023 sees Liam Moore, Coniah Boyce-Clarke, Dejan Tetek, Lucas Joao and Yakou Meite all out of contract.

As I understand things the embargo will remain in place on Reading at least until the FL review the situation following the next set of accounts being released (is it December they’re posted?) though I would imagine the club will continue to liaise with the FL throughout the season so any decisions can be made as early as possible.

Would imagine that the embargo, while it exists, makes it difficult for any talks over offering new deals to existing players fairly tricky but would hope that that doesn’t mean the club put off at least opening negotiations with any players.

Of the above players I can’t really see Reading re-signing Rafael or Swift so if any half decent offers come in for them in January they should be listened to at least. Rinomhota and Laurent the club may be able to get to commit if the embargo is lifted but likewise any decent offers from other clubs in January might be a temptation.

Overall though, other than Laurent and Rinomhota I’m not currently overly fussed about losing any of those players out of contract, difficulty as always though is knowing just how good the younger players actually are in the scheme of things. Tom Holmes is probably the biggest worry in that area but when you rarely see him getting in ahead of players off form (and when you do he’s out of his preferred position) you have to wonder. If he’s still not getting anywhere in January under the existing management then perhaps the club should look to sell him too!
Last edited by Sutekh on 05 Sep 2021 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Out of Contract 2022

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Sep 2021 09:13

Too early to judge Hoilett, Danns and Halilovic but pretty much a +1 to that. Will be interesting to see if any of the youngsters can make the step up.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 05 Sep 2021 09:34

Isn’t Femi Azeez also out of contract next summer too?

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 05 Sep 2021 09:57

I seem to recall that Paunovic himself is also only contracted to the end of the season. Guess this goes for his backroom team too?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Sep 2021 10:24

The next set of accounts are going to make for grim reading again. There is bound to be another huge loss but that will be the same for all clubs.
January is tricky. If we are mid table and looking relatively safe then we do need to consider offers for the likes of Swift, Laurent, Rino etc.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Sep 2021 10:39

Don't think there's any player on the squad I'd say don't sell at any cost. Maybe Rinhomhota or Meite but Rinomhota's got less than a year and we have now idea how Meite will come back from his injury.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 05 Sep 2021 10:52

Zip The next set of accounts are going to make for grim reading again. There is bound to be another huge loss but that will be the same for all clubs.
January is tricky. If we are mid table and looking relatively safe then we do need to consider offers for the likes of Swift, Laurent, Rino etc.

Aren't there some allowances for covid?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Sep 2021 11:35

Mid Sussex Royal
Zip The next set of accounts are going to make for grim reading again. There is bound to be another huge loss but that will be the same for all clubs.

Aren't there some allowances for covid?

I think the accounts won’t be taken in isolation and will be considered alongside the figures for the following year. Frankly they should just be discounted for 2020/21.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2021 14:20

Goalkeepers

1. Rafael release - good keeper but reportedly one of our higher earners and getting on
  2. Luke Southwood (though the club has an option of extending by a further year)
Got to be him or Andresson as No 1, next season. Can'tsee how we can afford to sign a Champ ready keeper - so evaluate at Xmas but probably extend

Defenders

1. Nelson Abbey No idea
  2. Felipe Araruna (also can play midfield but (so far) has looked better as a right back)unless he can prove his fitness and value to the first team over the next 4 months I think we have to release
  3. Ethan Bristowideally extend and loan out at Jan with McIntyre covering Rahman
  4. Scott Dannextend if fit and good over next 4 / 5 months
  5. Jeriel Dorsettwatch loan and probably extend
  6. Tom Holmesdefinite extend
  7. Michael MorrisonIf stays fit and performs extend, but not looking certain right now
  8. Imari Samuelsno idea
  9. Andy Yiadom
inclined to say release, long standing injury record, ACN and he's currently really bad, but may have to extend due to lack of options

Midfielders

1. Alen Halilovic can'tjudge yet
  2. Junior Hoiletttoo early, but I would not be extending based on what little we've seen
  3. Josh Laurentextend if he ups his game, which he should
  4. Andy Rinomhotano brain extend
  5. John Swift
for all his talent it has to be release, he's one of the last 3 or 4 big earners

Forwards

1. Mark McNultyabout the most obvious release possible
  2. Nahum Melvin-Lambert
dunno - monitor loan

Unclear
  1. Jahmari Clarkeworth more time
  2. Kelvin Ehibhatiomhanworth more time
  3. Kian Leavy
no idea

Just for the record, 2023 sees Liam Moore, Coniah Boyce-Clarke, Dejan Tetek, Lucas Joao and Yakou Meite all out of contract.
definitely try to extend CBC and Tetek, couldn'tget rid of Moore quick enough, Joao depends on performance after return from injury, same as Meite - think both are probably at the higher earners end if not the top

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Sep 2021 17:50

3points Isn’t Femi Azeez also out of contract next summer too?

Yes he is, knew there was someone missing but just couldn’t remember who :oops: I’ve amended the original post to include him.

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 05 Sep 2021 21:55

From what I see 2/3 of the Professional Squad The Manager (and backroom team?) have 9 months left at the club.

And no money and likely continued restrictions into next season (and beyond?)

We need to lose the good ones for money and are left with just "bodies"

The words "Long Term Startegic Planning" come to mind and the absence of this will surely do for us next year if not this year.

Is our situtation really such that we can only be a "one year" at a time club ?

Likely will need half a squad at least in the summer - unless the Academy comes up trumps, where will these players come from

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 05 Sep 2021 22:16

I was really surprised that the EFL let us sign who we did over the summer.

I can imagine that they might retain the same policy for us regarding renewals. Limited to one year extensions at no more than £8.5k a week.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Sep 2021 23:32

Elm Park Kid I was really surprised that the EFL let us sign who we did over the summer.

I can imagine that they might retain the same policy for us regarding renewals. Limited to one year extensions at no more than £8.5k a week.

There'll be other clubs will reduced income and players on excessive salaries. Groundhog day for football. The divide is going to grow into a chasm........ just like F1 did. No more Lord Hesketh's to upset the dominance.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Sep 2021 12:39

Elm Park Kid I was really surprised that the EFL let us sign who we did over the summer.

With so much to come off the wage bill next summer, I expect we'll get a little more leeway. Provided this and last season did actually see the wage bill fall dramatically as it should have done.

For example, losing Swift and Cabral should easily make it possible to up Rino, Southwood, Halilovic and Laurent's wages whilst still making a saving.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 06 Sep 2021 12:55

I don't think the EFL will be that unreasonable with us renewing contracts if we are making steps to abide by FFP which we sure have tried to. Our wage bill is down vs last year and got a decent fee for Olise. Otherwise they are preventing us from being competitive.

I'd love us to keep Swift if he would accept a new deal at £15-20k/week wages which is lower than he's on now.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Nov 2021 13:49

Just bumping this thread to remind all who is in/out in summer 2022 and therefore who will be sharing the set wage budget next season.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Nov 2021 14:28

Revisiting this 2 months down the line I'd say

Rafael - release
Luke Southwood definitely offer new contract or at very least take up option

Defenders

Resign Holmes and Yiadom
Don't think we can afford to have 2 aging CBs so sign one of Morrison or Dann. Heart says Morrison, head says Dann

Don't really know enough about Abbey, Bristow, Dorsett and Samuels but head says offer them 1 or 2 year deals

Release Araruna

Midfielders

Resign Hallilovic and Hoilett

Not convinced Rinomhota and Laurent would resign but offer them deals.

Would love to resign John Swift but we know it's not going to happen

Forwards

Resign Azeez
Release McNulty
Not sure about Melvin-Lambert but I fear Clarke and Azeez in particular have taken their chance in his absence.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Nov 2021 15:29

Is Tetek still with until 2023? I thought his contract expired in 2022.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Nov 2021 17:58

From Despair To Where? Revisiting this 2 months down the line I'd say

Rafael - release
Luke Southwood definitely offer new contract or at very least take up option

Defenders

Resign Holmes and Yiadom
Don't think we can afford to have 2 aging CBs so sign one of Morrison or Dann. Heart says Morrison, head says Dann

Don't really know enough about Abbey, Bristow, Dorsett and Samuels but head says offer them 1 or 2 year deals

Release Araruna

Midfielders

Resign Hallilovic and Hoilett

Not convinced Rinomhota and Laurent would resign but offer them deals.

Would love to resign John Swift but we know it's not going to happen

Forwards

Resign Azeez
Release McNulty
Not sure about Melvin-Lambert but I fear Clarke and Azeez in particular have taken their chance in his absence.

Not much to disagree with there. Solid stuff throughout.

I wouldn't shed too many tears over Laurent going. Fabulous last year, mediocre in midfield this.

I'd differ on Dann and Morrison. So far Dann hasn't really done it for me in more than patches so I'd let him go regardless and only look at resigning Morrison if he makes a good recovery from injury before season's end. Unless of course Dann steps it up.

Want to see more from Jnr before I'd offer an extension too, personally.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Nov 2021 18:04

I think Hoilett offers experience and some genuine width. I don't necessarily see him as a regular starter but he offers options off the bench and is more than good enough to be a squad player.

1018 posts
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 11:51