Goalkeeper situation now Rafael injured

166 posts
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Goalkeeper situation now Rafael injured

by Lower West » 13 Sep 2021 23:29

royalp-we It seems many of our fans think that everything the academy produces will be able to step up to the first team.

I’m intrigued to see if Southwood has improved since his howler of a debut performance against Huddersfield last season. I guess we’ll find out tomorrow night.

Catch 22. Plays gets slated. Sits on bench isn't going to develop.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Sep 2021 23:38

royalp-we It seems many of our fans think that everything the academy produces will be able to step up to the first team.

I’m intrigued to see if Southwood has improved since his howler of a debut performance against Huddersfield last season. I guess we’ll find out tomorrow night.

You seem obsessed with one game.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Sep 2021 23:43

McIntyre has had some pretty shite games and cost us goals. He admitted it, dealt with it and cake back stronger. Richards was a dogshite liability for the first few games, made Blackett look good. Esteves iirc was at fault for several goals in the space of several games but he'll probably be top class. Young players will make cockups. It's a good a time as any to let Southwold play through errors and see what becomes of him.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 14 Sep 2021 08:08

Snowflake Royal

It’s a pretty important game.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 14 Sep 2021 08:12

royalp-we
Snowflake Royal

agree

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Sep 2021 08:19

We all know that is not the case, you just need to look at the number of academy "stars" now plying their trade at lower levels than us to see that. What I hope most of our fans are hoping for is that our outstanding production line of young goalkeepers is about to produce one who could be our first choice for the next decade - we didn't give him a new deal (1 year plus right to extend for a second) because we didn't rate him - we could have easily let him slide and picked up a cheap back up but he is rated here - in Scotland, he was raved about for almost single handedly keeping Hamilton up.

He looked nervous v Huddersfield and made a mistake in the final minute to cost us a win but the circumstances were that he came into a team who wanted the season over having fcuked up the play-offs and anyway it is one game - arguably our most successful keeper, Hahnemann, came to us as a bit of a joke, he was not rated where he had been - 3rd choice at Fulham and off the back of a poor loan at Rochdale - he finally got consistant minutes with us (at the age of 30!) and we all know what happened next.

Southwood has talent and now has the chance to get 10-20 games as first choice under his belt at Champ level (instead of knowing that however he performed, he was going to be back on the bench next game) and hopefully help improve the defensive line - I don't get why you wouldn't be excited by the prospect. It may not work out but it might. It might...
Last edited by Stranded on 14 Sep 2021 08:21, edited 1 time in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Sep 2021 08:20

royalp-we
Snowflake Royal

He means the Huddersfield game which was the dictionary definition of unimportant.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Sep 2021 08:25

royalp-we
Snowflake Royal

Not really.

Who is the better list of keepers?

Walker, Bond, Virginia, or Jaakkola?

Or Ashdown, McCarthy, Young, Federici or Hamer?

Southwood kept the score respectable vs Swansea, a Championship side, in a reserve side. Odd you ignore that to focus on one end of season game.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 14 Sep 2021 08:28

There is very little in it between Rafael and Southwood. Both good shot stoppers but both aren't exactly commanding in their box. Obviously there is a difference in experience, but where has that Rafael experience got us so far? He has been very poor this calendar year and in truth we have to start looking to the future anyway, Rafael won't be here next season. Lets let Southwood get a run in the side, settle down and build some confidence up. Pointing out one poor display against Huddersfield is ridiculous.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 14 Sep 2021 08:52

It will be interesting to see how Southwood gets on with the defenders he has around him. 3-4 years ago we saw him in an U23 game played in Woking and as the ground was fairly empty you could certainly hear Southwood bossing his defence around and gesticulating to get them organised. I guess that is easier with players your own age rather than having your captain and several other highly experienced players in front of you. I really hope he berates them though!

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 14 Sep 2021 08:56

morganb It will be interesting to see how Southwood gets on with the defenders he has around him. 3-4 years ago we saw him in an U23 game played in Woking and as the ground was fairly empty you could certainly hear Southwood bossing his defence around and gesticulating to get them organised. I guess that is easier with players your own age rather than having your captain and several other highly experienced players in front of you. I really hope he berates them though!

Being a shouty goalkeeper has more negatives than positives, beware being like Joe Hart. The problem with shouting all the time is your defenders will zone out from it eventually, they will see their goalkeeper as someone who is over excited and panicky and will likely lose trust in him. The goalkeeper is far better off shouting or barking orders only when needed, when coming for crosses or if the defenders aren't doing the basics right. In my experience it is far better having a goalkeeper who is a calming influence rather than a drill sergeant.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 14 Sep 2021 09:20

NathStPaul
morganb It will be interesting to see how Southwood gets on with the defenders he has around him. 3-4 years ago we saw him in an U23 game played in Woking and as the ground was fairly empty you could certainly hear Southwood bossing his defence around and gesticulating to get them organised. I guess that is easier with players your own age rather than having your captain and several other highly experienced players in front of you. I really hope he berates them though!

Being a shouty goalkeeper has more negatives than positives, beware being like Joe Hart. The problem with shouting all the time is your defenders will zone out from it eventually, they will see their goalkeeper as someone who is over excited and panicky and will likely lose trust in him. The goalkeeper is far better off shouting or barking orders only when needed, when coming for crosses or if the defenders aren't doing the basics right. In my experience it is far better having a goalkeeper who is a calming influence rather than a drill sergeant.

Best bring my ear plugs.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 14 Sep 2021 09:21

Pepe the Horseman
NathStPaul

Best bring my ear plugs.

We do not have defenders.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Sep 2021 09:35

I would rather have Jokull back who is getting rave reviews up in Morecambe. Looks a commanding keeper and was man of the match versus Sheffield Wednesday but he did have a bumpy ride against Wimbledon on Saturday.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 14 Sep 2021 09:57

NathStPaul There is very little in it between Rafael and Southwood. Both good shot stoppers but both aren't exactly commanding in their box. Obviously there is a difference in experience, but where has that Rafael experience got us so far? He has been very poor this calendar year and in truth we have to start looking to the future anyway, Rafael won't be here next season. Lets let Southwood get a run in the side, settle down and build some confidence up. Pointing out one poor display against Huddersfield is ridiculous.

Like I say, intrigued to see how he gets on behind our leaky back line. To suggest there’s little difference between Southwood and Rafael is a bit ridiculous at this stage. Let’s judge him after seeing how he gets on after a run with the first team.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 14 Sep 2021 10:00

royalp-we
NathStPaul There is very little in it between Rafael and Southwood. Both good shot stoppers but both aren't exactly commanding in their box. Obviously there is a difference in experience, but where has that Rafael experience got us so far? He has been very poor this calendar year and in truth we have to start looking to the future anyway, Rafael won't be here next season. Lets let Southwood get a run in the side, settle down and build some confidence up. Pointing out one poor display against Huddersfield is ridiculous.

Like I say, intrigued to see how he gets on behind our leaky back line. To suggest there’s little difference between Southwood and Rafael is a bit ridiculous at this stage. Let’s judge him after seeing how he gets on after a run with the first team.

Let me clarify. There is little difference in what they would have been able to do in terms of preventing goals conceded this season, we don't know for sure in terms of out and out ability, time will tell.
There is a difference in experience, of course. As I said previously, that experience hasn't helped us much thus far.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Sep 2021 11:18

NathStPaul

If he should only do it when the defenders aren't doing the basics right, he'll never stop.

I like a vocal keeper. I want to know what's going on around me that I haven't seen and thats easier for them . Admittedly I don't play properly and in 5/6/7/8 I do play aside we don't have offside.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Sep 2021 11:19

paultheroyal I would rather have Jokull back who is getting rave reviews up in Morecambe. Looks a commanding keeper and was man of the match versus Sheffield Wednesday but he did have a bumpy ride against Wimbledon on Saturday.

Well you can't, so it's a bit pointless saying so.

Southwood was getting rave reviews in the SPL not that long ago. Short memories I guess.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 14 Sep 2021 11:26

Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal I would rather have Jokull back who is getting rave reviews up in Morecambe. Looks a commanding keeper and was man of the match versus Sheffield Wednesday but he did have a bumpy ride against Wimbledon on Saturday.

Southwood was getting rave reviews in the SPL not that long ago. Short memories I guess.

He was also fantastic in the National League a couple of seasons ago. He was considered a major factor in Eastleigh making the playoffs, their supporters loved him.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Sep 2021 11:51

Snowflake Royal

Pretty much every post of yours is pointless but you carry on.

166 posts