150 posts
Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Berks and Bucks senior cup 2021/22

by Royals and Racers » 07 May 2022 20:26

tmesis
Nameless
Royals and Racers Attendance 1122

Ascot were expecting to take over 1000, are there really only 100 Royals there ?

I'd say it was more or less a 50/50 split. I'd have put the crowd a few hundred higher than that.

It wasn't as one-sided as the scoreline suggests. Reading's finish was just top-drawer in the first half. Ascot were the better team in the second half, and if they'd nicked one, it could have hade things interesting. The fourth was in the 8th minute of injury time.

I said earlier 200 Reading fans i thought- maybe that could be 300 but in my opinion no way near 50/50 split.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 07 May 2022 21:52

Royals and Racers
tmesis
Nameless
Ascot were expecting to take over 1000, are there really only 100 Royals there ?

I'd say it was more or less a 50/50 split. I'd have put the crowd a few hundred higher than that.

It wasn't as one-sided as the scoreline suggests. Reading's finish was just top-drawer in the first half. Ascot were the better team in the second half, and if they'd nicked one, it could have hade things interesting. The fourth was in the 8th minute of injury time.

I said earlier 200 Reading fans i thought- maybe that could be 300 but in my opinion no way near 50/50 split.

I'd have probably said similar, but there were a large number who stuck around for the presentation - and even a lot of the Reading fans will have left at full time. With so few wearing colours it can be really hard to tell in an unsegregated crowd. It probably needed an Ascot goal to have got more of an idea.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 May 2022 21:58

Was Harper playing for Ascot? (I don’t even know if he is still there tbh.)

And did Chris Ellis’ long throws create problems? (They kill Windsor every time we play them.)

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 08 May 2022 07:14

Royal Rother Was Harper playing for Ascot? (I don’t even know if he is still there tbh.)

And did Chris Ellis’ long throws create problems? (They kill Windsor every time we play them.)

Harper in prog, not on pitch. The 20, presumably, had as good a long throw as I’ve ever seen but we dealt with it ok.

Ascot nearly got a consolation at the end but hit the bar. To be honest the last hour was a damp squib, the gulf in technique and speed was vast.

Point of interest, Gilkes drove some of the subs from Luton.

I’d say at least 300 Reading there to watch us crown the 150th with some actual SILVERWARE!
URRRZ

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 08 May 2022 07:53

Fox Talbot
Royal Rother Was Harper playing for Ascot? (I don’t even know if he is still there tbh.)

Harper in prog, not on pitch. The 20, presumably, had as good a long throw as I’ve ever seen but we dealt with it ok.

Ascot nearly got a consolation at the end but hit the bar. To be honest the last hour was a damp squib, the gulf in technique and speed was vast.

Point of interest, Gilkes drove some of the subs from Luton.

I’d say at least 300 Reading there to watch us crown the 150th with some actual SILVERWARE!
URRRZ

Harper i think was cup-tied.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 May 2022 07:55

tmesis
Royals and Racers
tmesis

I'd have probably said similar, but there were a large number who stuck around for the presentation - and even a lot of the Reading fans will have left at full time. With so few wearing colours it can be really hard to tell in an unsegregated crowd. It probably needed an Ascot goal to have got more of an idea.

The Ascot end was much fuller than the Reading end, and the smaller stand (and standing areas around it) was almost entirely Ascot fans judging by the reaction to our goals.

The only real question for me is the balance of the main stand. That had really thinned out by the time the standers made it there for the trophy ceremony, and when I walked past at half time it seemed like there were more people with Ascot gear than Reading gear. Wasn’t paying attention to it when we scored.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 08 May 2022 08:13

As there is at least one other person who thinks that the media coverage of the academy by the club is pathetic, can i point out that there is no result or report on the website yet !!!
At least they posted the team on the academy twitter page 15 mins into yesterday’s game !!!!

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 08 May 2022 09:56

One disappointing thing was the number of Reading fans who thought it amusing to shout/sing abuse towards Ascot and their players. It's pretty standard in the league, obviously, but it's gratingly embarrassing at non-league level, unless done humorously. Calling someone a "fat c***" repeatedly isn't the height of hilarity, although the guy saying it seemed to disagree.

What was good, apart from the win, was that the players seemed genuinely delighted to have won the cup. I recall seeing us lose a final (against Maidenhead?) many years back, and the players clearly didn't give a shit.

The big difference for me was the finishing. The three first half goals were incredibly well taken, but there weren't too many other big chances created. Ascot started pretty well, but once that first goal went in, the Reading players really strode around with confidence, and the Ascot players seemed to give them too much respect and space, and really struggled to create anything themselves.

In the second, they hussled the Reading players far more, forcing them into error after error, and having much the better of the play. I don't think Reading had a shot in the second half until about the 85th minute. Had Ascot played that way in the first half, it could have been a different game.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 May 2022 11:23

tmesis One disappointing thing was the number of Reading fans who thought it amusing to shout/sing abuse towards Ascot and their players. It's pretty standard in the league, obviously, but it's gratingly embarrassing at non-league level, unless done humorously. Calling someone a "fat c***" repeatedly isn't the height of hilarity, although the guy saying it seemed to disagree.

I agree, although I think it is worth saying that Ascot were doing the same things.

To be honest I wish it wasn’t quite so common at professional level. I’m sure the players usually tune it out but I don’t feel comfortable with it unless it is merited.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 24 May 2022 17:38

Extended highlights of the final https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGD4q-ElOkk

150 posts