Points Deduction Incoming!

776 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Points Deduction Incoming!

by andrew1957 » 22 Sep 2021 09:18

Simmops
Snowflake Royal
Wycombe Royal Why won't we be able to afford it?

Because it costs a million or so a year and if we get relegated to League Two, our income will be a few million.

Why do you think L2 teams don’t have academies for the most part.

The only lower league side i can't think of who has had a decent academy ever is crewe..... and you know the shit that they had there

Exeter have a good Academy and have sold a lot of players to PL clubs for big money in recent years.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Sep 2021 09:28

I wonder how long this saga will roll on for. Confirmed by the next international break, or ongoing rumours and uncertainty until the end of the season and beyond? Given the EFL's record for clarity and transparency (not to mention that of our owners) I'm going for the latter.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Sep 2021 09:29

WestYorksRoyal I wonder how long this saga will roll on for. Confirmed by the next international break, or ongoing rumours and uncertainty until the end of the season and beyond? Given the EFL's record for clarity and transparency (not to mention that of our owners) I'm going for the latter.

Would rather it was applied ASAP, at least we then know what we have to work with.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 22 Sep 2021 09:29

Whatever punishment we get, we just suck it up and get on with it; the club has brought this upon itself and we all knew that one day there would be a reckoning.

But as has been mentioned, at least we have not tried to con the EFL (as Derby has done) so natural justice would suggest that any punishment for us has to be considerably less than that meted out to Derby (on top of the 12 points for administration they are due to be deducted today).

Also, Derby and ourselves are unlikely to be the only ones in the spotlight over this; those other recent ex Premier League teams who didn't bounce straight back up will also be in the spotlight, if not this season then certainly in the coming seasons - that is the reality of football today.

The only thing that matters - literally, the only thing - is that the club survives.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Sep 2021 09:31

Hendo
WestYorksRoyal I wonder how long this saga will roll on for. Confirmed by the next international break, or ongoing rumours and uncertainty until the end of the season and beyond? Given the EFL's record for clarity and transparency (not to mention that of our owners) I'm going for the latter.

Would rather it was applied ASAP, at least we then know what we have to work with.

Plus with the number of players out of contract next summer, we may not be in a position to overcome a points deduction if it rolls into next season. Give us 6 points now? I'd have total confidence in this squad to still survive comfortably.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Sep 2021 09:32

Mr Angry Whatever punishment we get, we just suck it up and get on with it; the club has brought this upon itself and we all knew that one day there would be a reckoning.

But as has been mentioned, at least we have not tried to con the EFL (as Derby has done) so natural justice would suggest that any punishment for us has to be considerably less than that meted out to Derby (on top of the 12 points for administration they are due to be deducted today).

Also, Derby and ourselves are unlikely to be the only ones in the spotlight over this; those other recent ex Premier League teams who didn't bounce straight back up will also be in the spotlight, if not this season then certainly in the coming seasons - that is the reality of football today.

The only thing that matters - literally, the only thing - is that the club survives.

Bournemouth are hurtling towards "promoted or fcuked" territory.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Sep 2021 09:32

Think this is the important point here. We all accept a points deduction has been coming but what we don't need is this being dragged out until the New Year and then going from 16th in the league to 22nd in the league following the deduction. It will induce panic amongst the players and supporters and could easily lead to our relegation. I think getting the deduction now will actually bond the players and supporters together and we would comfortably get out of the relegation zone just to spite the Football League.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Sep 2021 09:33

WestYorksRoyal
Hendo

Plus with the number of players out of contract next summer, we may not be in a position to overcome a points deduction if it rolls into next season. Give us 6 points now? I'd have total confidence in this squad to still survive comfortably.

Totally agree,

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Sep 2021 09:51

NathStPaul

Think this is the important point here. We all accept a points deduction has been coming but what we don't need is this being dragged out until the New Year and then going from 16th in the league to 22nd in the league following the deduction. It will induce panic amongst the players and supporters and could easily lead to our relegation. I think getting the deduction now will actually bond the players and supporters together and we would comfortably get out of the relegation zone just to spite the Football League.

I'm not sure it would induce panic - it's been clear we've been talking to the EFL for a while now - VP's comments about it, we always took as just being transfers but seems that may be a wider picture and the deals we've made are probably in line with a first version of an agreed business plan.

The squad will know that it is coming, the when is really secondary. They just need to focus on the next game and getting as many points on the board as possible. If we can go 7/9 over the next 3, which is doable then we may already be ahead of the bottom 3 even with the deduction.

Even the threat of it should act as an us against the world now and could push this squad to something special. Target should still be promotion/play-offs form and see where we are.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 22 Sep 2021 10:08

It begs this question why waste all that money on a new training ground, a woman’s team and academy (even Liverpool don’t bother with that) Even the club 1871 I know it’s only a small amount in relative terms but every penny counts in our dire situation.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Sep 2021 10:09

Jackson Corner It begs this question why waste all that money on a new training ground, a woman’s team and academy (even Liverpool don’t bother with that) Even the club 1871 I know it’s only a small amount in relative terms but every penny counts in our dire situation.

We have money, that isn't the issue. We have more money than most in terms of our owner's net worth.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 22 Sep 2021 10:10

Derby’s points deduction due to be announced today so I would say we won’t be far behind

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Sep 2021 10:11

RG30

Derby’s points deduction due to be announced today so I would say we won’t be far behind

Theirs is more cut and dry though isn't it? Administration is a straight up -12 deduction. I think ours is slightly more complex as the club are probably arguing that we did all we could to rectify the situation and worked with the EFL etc. We are likely trying to barter them down from a -9 deduction to a -6.
Last edited by NathStPaul on 22 Sep 2021 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Sep 2021 10:12

And herein lies the bitter resentment at Pauno spectacularly cocking up last season. Still, .. Onwards and upwards. He may manage to save us from relegation and it's now that matters, not punishment for past ****ups.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 22 Sep 2021 10:14

Heard this morning about some additional punishments from the EFL:

1. We have to play "They call us the Royals" before every game.
2. We can only have one member of bar staff on at the Jazz Cafe at any one time.
3. Kingsley to be replaced by the 'Go Compare' man - who contractually gets to sign his song every 5 minute intervals during every game.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Sep 2021 10:18

Millsy And herein lies the bitter resentment at Pauno spectacularly cocking up last season

genuinely didn't know anyone was even annoyed at him, let alone resentment towards him and thinking we 'c*cked up spectacularly'

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Sep 2021 10:20

WestYorksRoyal
Mr Angry Whatever punishment we get, we just suck it up and get on with it; the club has brought this upon itself and we all knew that one day there would be a reckoning.

Bournemouth are hurtling towards "promoted or fcuked" territory.

Luckily for them they appear to be exempt from FFP regulations

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 22 Sep 2021 10:21

Millsy And herein lies the bitter resentment at Pauno spectacularly cocking up last season. Still, .. Onwards and upwards. He may manage to save us from relegation and it's now that matters, not punishment for past ****ups.

Pauno needs to take some responsibilities for the end of last season but others are not entirety blameless

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 Sep 2021 10:24

NathStPaul
RG30

Theirs is more cut and dry though isn't it? Administration is a straight up -12 deduction. I think ours is slightly more complex as the club are probably arguing that we did all we could to rectify the situation and worked with the EFL etc. We are likely trying to barter them down from a -9 deduction to a -6.

Be additional penaties on top I suspect. Suspended points deduction at least. Wouldn't be surprised if we receive the same given our owners total disregard for the financial rules.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Sep 2021 10:32

RG30

That`s the aministration penalty, nothing to do with breaking FFP rules.

776 posts