165 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Nottingham Forest (h)

by Sutekh » 15 Nov 2021 19:33

When : Saturday 20th November 2021, 3pm
Where : SCL Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Saturday sees Nottingham Forest pay their seasonal trip to the town of Reading for what will be a very difficult game.

Forest started the season badly and got worse (6 defeats and a draw from 7 league games). They then sacked Mr Hughton and imported a Mr Cooper from Swansea and since then they have become well organised, difficult to beat and get thoroughly decent results so this is going to be a real challenge. Their form since the managerial change is 6 wins and 3 draws from 10 games, the one defeat was a 4-0 stuffing at home to Fulham, and have not lost away from home since August. Given that run and the major injury problems at Reading, the club will have done well if they get something out of the game.

Former Reading loanee Lewis Grabban is once again proving his value and what he can provide for a club when he’s actually played as a forward. He’s leading the Forest scoring charts by some way with 8 goals from 11 starts so his service needs to be cut off and strangled before he gets the chance to do any damage. Lyle Walker is the other half of the strike threat and again can be a thorough nuisance if not shut out of the game as much as possible. The Forest defence is also looking quite useful with the likes of Joe Worrall and Scott McKenna plus full back DJed Spence who is getting very good reviews currently, though he maybe returning to his parent club Middlesbrough in January.

Forest have no injury list, well I don’t call 2 players (Loic Mbe Soh and Jordi Osei-Tutu) an injury list. Meanwhile injuries continue to ravage Reading with currently 12 players crocked though there are rumours that some might actually recover sufficiently to be involved. While I won’t be holding my breath on that it would be great to have the likes of Rinomhota (well it’ll have to happen one day), Halilovic, Hoilett, McIntyre, Araruna and Drinkwater available again if only because it’ll actually put some options on the bench for the management to consider.

Lastly, of course Andy Carroll might be sat on the bench waiting for his chance to show Puscas how it’s done and as he hasn’t played for 6 months, and not regularly for 2 years, expectations shouldn’t be too high on him so he has a chance to live up to them. At least it’ll give opposition defenders something scary to worry about for the few minutes he does get on the pitch.

Referee

Andy “4 Reading defeats in a row” Woolmer

Previously

17 Aug 21 > Reading 2-3 Bristol City
17 Mar 21 > Birmingham City 2-1 Reading
13 Feb 21 > Reading 1-2 Millwall
14 Jul 20 > Reading 1-2 Middlesbrough
15 Feb 20 > Sheffield Wednesday 0-3 Reading
09 Nov 19 > Reading 3-0 Luton Town
01 Oct 19 > Reading 1-4 Fulham
19 Jan 19 > Derby County 2-0 Reading
18 Oct 16 > Reading 1-2 Aston Villa
27 Aug 16 > Cardiff City 0-1 Reading
23 Aug 14 > Nottingham Forest 4-0 Reading
08 Apr 14 > Bournemouth 3-1 Reading
29 Oct 11 > Crystal Palace 0-0 Reading
12 Apr 11 > Scunthorpe United 0-2 Reading
15 Apr 10 > Reading 3-0 Coventry City
16 Sep 08 > Reading 6-0 Sheffield Wednesday
17 Sep 05 > Reading 1-0 Crewe Alexandra

Historically

Forest have made 23 previous visits to Reading for a league game with all but 4 being at Division 2 level. They have won on 6 of those visits and when Reading lose at home to Forest in the league they fail to score.

Reading have managed 11 wins from those 22 previous visits and have won 5 and drawn 1 of the last 6 encounters at the Mad Stad so there is currently something to live up to here.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and go
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Nottingham Forest (h)

by Stranded » 16 Nov 2021 09:18

Andy Carroll hat-trick incoming before he gets a whack on the ankle ruling him out til mid January.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 16 Nov 2021 12:29

. Southwood

Yiadom Dann Moore Rahman

Drinkwater Bashiru

Ejaria Swift

Carroll Puscas

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Nov 2021 12:36

.......................Southwood
...........Holmes, Laurent, Dann
Yiadom...... Drinkwater............Rahman
...........TDB...................Ejaria
.........................Swift
........................Puscas

Hoilett, Halilovic and Rinomhota would probably all make that XI if fit.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Nov 2021 13:01

Snowflake Royal .......................Southwood

Moore will obvs start

Imagine it may be the same team as against Brum to start - maybe Hoilett for Puscas

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 18 Nov 2021 12:38

I wonder if I can get odds on a Carroll injury from this game.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 18 Nov 2021 12:40

PieEater I wonder if I can get odds on a Carroll injury from this game.

Horse Racing / Betting thread is where you need to be :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Nov 2021 12:41

Hound
Snowflake Royal .......................Southwood

Moore will obvs start

Imagine it may be the same team as against Brum to start - maybe Hoilett for Puscas

Would go with that, Hoilett looked OK up top against Boro. Guess another question is whether we stick with the usual 4-2-3-1 with Holmes RB and Yiadom further forward or try and match Forest and go 3/5 at the back

Potential for a much stronger bench with the likes of Araruna, Tetek, Drinkwater and Halilovic returning. Hopefully Carroll too and Puscas if he doesn’t start

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Nov 2021 12:42

My money is on decent cameo where he's hailed as Jesus, followed by shit game and injury next time out.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 18 Nov 2021 12:59

Snowflake Royal

My money is on decent cameo where he's hailed as Jesus, followed by shit game and injury next time out.

Yeah he does look like Jesus, so this, or in the second game rather than getting crocked, he gets sent off for elbowing someone going up for a header, and cue lots of he’s not the messiah he’s a very naughty boy comments.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Nov 2021 14:01

Mr Optimist
Snowflake Royal

Yeah he does look like Jesus, so this, or in the second game rather than getting crocked, he gets sent off for elbowing someone going up for a header, and cue lots of he’s not the messiah he’s a very naughty boy comments.

When can the Christmas Carroll jokes start?

Also need a song quickly, so - and apologies to Smokie fans -

Oh Carroll you got us eatin' our hearts away,
You got us countin' our nights and days,
Oh we’re floatin' on the milky way,
Oh Carroll he’s scored but we want four,
Andy you've opened the door,
Oh Carroll you can do it some more.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 18 Nov 2021 14:20

Mr Optimist
Snowflake Royal

Nailed it.

Apparently he chose us as Jesus doesn't like crosses and, according to the stats, nor does Reading.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 18 Nov 2021 16:05

Some key points from Pauno ahead of Forest game:
-‘Not happy’ about points deduction but admits could have been worse
-J Clarke injury NOT serious. Will be out for a few weeks, rolled his ankle
-Impressed by Carroll’s fitness although not match fit.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Nov 2021 16:12

morganb Some key points from Pauno ahead of Forest game:

Last point is obvious but with a month deal, we need to get him match fit by, you know, playing matches.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 18 Nov 2021 16:32

Stranded

Last point is obvious but with a month deal, we need to get him match fit by, you know, playing matches.

That little statement by Pauno is worrying-remember how long it took Dann and Drinkwater to be fit enough to be considered.
I wonder if this year Reading will have a Carroll Service where a sermon is given to the other players on crossing the ball to the big man.

Incidentally, watching last night's entertaining FA Cup replay between Stockport and Bolton, Scott Quigley playing up front for Stockport (6ft 4in and left-footed) gave an idea of what we might expect from Andy Carroll in terms of hold-up play and finishing.
A real physical presence even if he doesn't have great pace.

The sooner Carroll plays, the better-as Stranded says, he can get fit (ter) playing and he could just as easily get injured in training, something that is not unheard of at our club.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 18 Nov 2021 16:38

South Coast Royal
Stranded

That little statement by Pauno is worrying-remember how long it took Dann and Drinkwater to be fit enough to be considered.
I wonder if this year Reading will have a Carroll Service where a sermon is given to the other players on crossing the ball to the big man.

Incidentally, watching last night's entertaining FA Cup replay between Stockport and Bolton, Scott Quigley playing up front for Stockport (6ft 4in and left-footed) gave an idea of what we might expect from Andy Carroll in terms of hold-up play and finishing.
A real physical presence even if he doesn't have great pace.

The sooner Carroll plays, the better-as Stranded says, he can get fit (ter) playing and he could just as easily get injured in training, something that is not unheard of at our club.

Regarding Carroll - It may not be all doom and gloom as this article seems to say that he is in surprisingly good condition all things considered (and also hints at a longer term commitment):

https://rdg.today/reading-fc-paunovic-i ... ns-royals/

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Nov 2021 17:41

morganb
Mr Optimist
Snowflake Royal My money is on decent cameo where he's hailed as Jesus, followed by shit game and injury next time out.

Nailed it.

Apparently he chose us as Jesus doesn't like crosses and, according to the stats, nor does Reading.

There's so many levels to this post.

Outstanding.

Half Horse
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Half Horse » 18 Nov 2021 19:10

I'd like to see a three, five, two for this one. Puscas is crying out to play alongside someone like Carroll. Get Yiadom and Rahman banging balls into the box for Carroll to knock down. Carroll wouldn't have to be particularly mobile, just a decent aerial presence and the ability to hold the ball up.

Southwood

Holmes
Moore
Dann

Yiadom
Laurent
Swift
Ejaria
Rahman

Carroll
Puscas

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 18 Nov 2021 21:19

I'm sure i read smewhere that Pauno is pleased with Carrolls levels of fitness and would be up to 45mins of game time at present. So going by this he ain't gonna start but i reckon he may well be on the bench with the chance of a cameo apperance.

If Halilovic is fit then i would revert back to the 4-2-3-1 which Pauno favours, and go with Ejaria, Swift and Halilovic behind Puscas and go with Laurent and TDB as the deeper lying midfielders.
The back four would be Yids, Dann, Holmes and Babba for me, however we all know it'll be Moore for Holmes.
Finally, give Puscas until 60 mins and then throw Carroll on to scare the life out of Forests defence.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 19 Nov 2021 00:30

Why would anyone think Andy Carroll is fit enough to start this game? :roll:

165 posts