BFTG Swanse(a)

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG Swanse(a)

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Nov 2021 10:18

BraisingsteakRoyal
Pepe the Horseman
NewCorkSeth Yeah, I suppose if he is happy here that would mean a lot. Would he be that interested in challenging for the title? If a team like West Brom came I for him say?

No.

What about if he stays fit til Jan, scores 5 more goals + 3 more assists and Newcastle come in for him and offer him >8.5k a week.

Oh, in that case... NO.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2021 10:20

anyone who knew anything about Carroll also knows he has a superb left foot. He is far more mobile than I was expecting though

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Nov 2021 10:24

Massive + 1 to Carroll for 'being injured' at the end, soaking up another minute or so of time before being subbed off.

It's the little things like this - and Southwood is good at it too - that make all the difference, get us those few extra seconds and secures us the points.

I think this is what Pauno was alluding to when he said something about Carroll "pretending" well too. :lol:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Nov 2021 10:30

BraisingsteakRoyal
Pepe the Horseman
NewCorkSeth Yeah, I suppose if he is happy here that would mean a lot. Would he be that interested in challenging for the title? If a team like West Brom came I for him say?

No.

What about if he stays fit til Jan, scores 5 more goals + 3 more assists and Newcastle come in for him and offer him >8.5k a week.

He is already on record as saying that being at Newcastle last year meant too much time away from his family, which he found hard. So would be very surprised if went north again.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 29 Nov 2021 10:34

Watched the highlights, what was the post-match tunnel handbags about?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Nov 2021 10:52

WestYorksRoyal
Stranded
Hound
tbf not sure how impt the money is to him - He is one of the richest footballers in Britain I believe. So great he still has the hunger to play. If we can just work with him and make things as convenient as possible for him then he seems to be enjoying his time here.

Yep convenience is definitely a major factor and one of the reasons he was still available - helps that Scott Dann is one of his best mates by all account too.

We definitely are in pole position (if we can afford it) for him to stay for either 6 to 18 months given he can commute easily, not disrupt his family and enjoy his football - he certainly seems to be doing the latter. He could easily become a cult hero, very very quickly.

Could be a master stroke. It's the sort of goal you see every week and is taken for granted in the Premier League, but the first touch, the composure to get it onto his left and the finish were all a cut above what you often see at this level. So much more to him than being a head on a stick to aim at.

Drinkwater's finish was also one you'd see plenty of Championship midfielders snatch at or blaze over the bar

We've seen Swift miss those.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 29 Nov 2021 11:40

Results - and a performance - like this one makes all those suggesting we are destined for the drop sound a little bit daft.....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2021 12:09

JedMaxwell
NewCorkSeth Did anyone 3lse notice Carroll seemed very supportive in talking to Puscas?

When they subbed him off he seemed to try pump up Puscas and after the game went over to him to give him a boost.

Carroll seems to be a good guy who could uplift the squad a little off the pitch. Invited the whole team over to join his celebration too. I am interested to see how that develops.

Yes I noticed that. It seems like Carroll is taking his role as a senior player very seriously, which is refreshing.

Puscas just needs one in off his arse or something, just to get the scoring feeling back. I think if he and Carroll play together more, he will look more likely.

I've been very impressed with Carroll so far.

Same

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2021 12:12

Stranded
Hound yes Carroll has way exceeded expectations so far. Seems the ideal man up top and a proper leader. Big fan based on what I've seen so far, challenge now to keep him beyond Jan - others will be sniffing around

Yep, he has been great and reported in The Athletic today that he is getting just 1k pw and has joined us because he just wants to play.

I would love it if we already have something in place with him that will see him stay at least until the summer and if he is enjoying it here that can only be a positive.

Holy Moly!!!

He'd be doing ok at £8.5k for £1k he'd be unbelievable value.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Nov 2021 12:19

Say we do extend Carroll till end of season, what happens when Joao is fit? Can they both play?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2021 12:24

Pepe the Horseman Say we do extend Carroll till end of season, what happens when Joao is fit? Can they both play?

Want to see him over more than a couple of cameos and one start, but looks promising.

Puts pressure on Joao to perform, and a perfect 65min sub for him if he is performing.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Nov 2021 12:30

Geordie mate said yesterday he won't ever play more than 5 games in a row.

Not too dissimilar to Joao, so having them both wouldn't be a bad idea if we can afford it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2021 13:15

Pepe the Horseman Say we do extend Carroll till end of season, what happens when Joao is fit? Can they both play?

Dunno but it'd be bloody great to have that option

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Nov 2021 14:34

Hound

Dunno but it'd be bloody great to have that option

Yup. Good problem to have. Especially if Carroll just wants to play. He'll push for a starting place which hopefully forces the best out of Joao.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Nov 2021 14:50

Millsy Geordie mate said yesterday he won't ever play more than 5 games in a row.

Should we care if your Geordie mate won’t ever play more than 5 games in a row?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Nov 2021 14:54

Sutekh
Millsy Geordie mate said yesterday he won't ever play more than 5 games in a row.

Sorry yeah it's irrelevant how many games he plays. Most of you don't even know him, shouldn't have brought it up.

Interestingly though he also reckons Carroll won't ever play more than 5 games in a row.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Nov 2021 14:57

Millsy
Sutekh

Sorry yeah it's irrelevant how many games he plays. Most of you don't even know him, shouldn't have brought it up.

Interestingly though he also reckons Carroll won't ever play more than 5 games in a row.

Well, we won't have long to wait to find out. I know injuries can happen at any moment, but he looks fit and sharp. Didn't expect him to start a game so soon, which can only be a good thing.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Nov 2021 15:21

Hendo
Millsy
Sutekh

Well, we won't have long to wait to find out. I know injuries can happen at any moment, but he looks fit and sharp. Didn't expect him to start a game so soon, which can only be a good thing.

Carroll only missed one game through injury last season as well IIRC which can only be a positive

I believe only two players have started every game so far for us this season, Laurent and Swift, I’m sure if you were to do a poll of which two players you’d expect to stay injury free Swift wouldn’t have been one of them!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Nov 2021 15:37

URZZZZ
Hendo
Millsy

Carroll only missed one game through injury last season as well IIRC which can only be a positive

I believe only two players have started every game so far for us this season, Laurent and Swift, I’m sure if you were to do a poll of which two players you’d expect to stay injury free Swift wouldn’t have been one of them!

I'd hazard a guess at Swift and Laurent.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Nov 2021 16:42

I know we all like local lad Holmes (as do I), and some of us hate that scapegoat Moore. But had Moore done what Holmes did for their first, we'd be at his house with pitchforks.

Where the hell was Holmes for that first goal. Watched the goal a few times and seriously he's up in midfield, marking, um... noone... or someone that one of our other many midfielders could mark. Leaving the man he should have been marking completely free to be passed to and score. The more I watch it the more ridiculous it is seeing a CB up in midfield and leaving a man unmarked.

If this is zonal marking - what zone was that exactly being covered? The midfield zone?

But yeah let's not give him the Moore treatment.

Fair play to him, great defence otherwise, it's just looking back at replays again I'm a bit :shock: