MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (h)

438 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (h)

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Jan 2022 08:42

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Zip I will say in Pauno’s defence the individual errors from the likes of Holmes, Laurent and Southwood have been dreadful and there is not much he can do about that.
We are incapable of keeping a clean sheet and then just go through the motions until the game ends.

That's a concentration/decision making thing and can certainly be improved by coaching.

They're forced errors from the management.

They have no confidence. No faith in their play. They're constantly exposed and have no idea how to win.

Put players with no hope under pressure and you'll see mistake after mistake.

Sometimes you watch games and you can just say the players are at fault, the manager is doing his best with poor tools. We are exactly the opposite. The players have nothing to work with from management.

Was very much on the side of "what can ANY manager do with all these errors and injuries" but now all I can think is a proper manager could do something. Anything. This isn't working and we are no longer sleepwalking to league 1. We are marching there.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2022 08:47

It is getting to crisis time - ie bring it someone to get a reaction. Colin or Pulis for example. Sad times.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Jan 2022 08:50

Hound It is getting to crisis time - ie bring it someone to get a reaction. Colin or Pulis for example. Sad times.

When a relentless optimist like you is calling for change we know we’re in trouble.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 20 Jan 2022 08:54

A change in system is completely needed, its, predictable, slow and so easy to defend against. Look at Luton last night, 2/3 balls forward and we were on the back foot. Compared to our 15 / 16 passes where we get crowded out. Luton controlled the entire game bar a 5 minute spell and were so comfortable watching us labour passes.
Its not the personnel it is the system - when the so called savior of the season came on - we still looked dog shit. Just the same passing for the sake of passing. Also why the f are we still defending corners with everyone in the box - this is the most irritating thing. When was the last time Southwood played a quick counter after a corner, he sprints to the edge of the box then stands there looking. Oh its because no one is left up top to hit. It is so bloody easy. It achieves nothing but chaos and makes our players have to be out of position on a consistent basis

In VP defence he has to use 2 kids as full backs, they were completely out of their depth last night and Drinkwater had a horror show - again. But other than that, he got it all wrong + his post match interview sounded like this was a one off performance?????

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2022 08:54

leon
Hound It is getting to crisis time - ie bring it someone to get a reaction. Colin or Pulis for example. Sad times.

When a relentless optimist like you is calling for change we know we’re in trouble.

:)

tbf I have for a few weeks now

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 20 Jan 2022 08:56

NewCorkSeth Was very much on the side of "what can ANY manager do with all these errors and injuries" but now all I can think is a proper manager could do something. Anything. This isn't working and we are no longer sleepwalking to league 1. We are marching there.

VP is very happy to fall on his own sword than mix up his failing tactics. It is surprising that he is so arrogant and stubborn to admit it is him leading the charge to L1

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Jan 2022 08:59

I'd take Pulis. Brian would surely get us out of this though right? He was fantastic at fostering a good environment.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Jan 2022 08:59

That was pretty dreadful last night. Thought there were a handful of minutes in the first half where I thought we looked ok and got the ball moving forward a bit, but predictably it all came to nothing.

We're a bit of a joke at the back, although if you're playing well and have luck with you, Holmes' header goes wide, rather than in. The second goal was pathetic.

He's got to go, I can't see how we're going to get out of this mess and changing the manager seems like the only roll of the dice we have.

I'll be there on Saturday though, hoping for something to change. :)

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Jan 2022 08:59

Coppells Lost Coat
NewCorkSeth Was very much on the side of "what can ANY manager do with all these errors and injuries" but now all I can think is a proper manager could do something. Anything. This isn't working and we are no longer sleepwalking to league 1. We are marching there.

VP is very happy to fall on his own sword than mix up his failing tactics. It is surprising that he is so arrogant and stubborn to admit it is him leading the charge to L1

He must realise he's a major part of the problem at this point. I refuse to believe people can be that far in denial.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 20 Jan 2022 09:03

On the way to the game I was wondering why it was rescheduled so soon and why we didn't use the 14 player squad excuse to push it further away. With the players we had there was only going to be one likely winner.

Not only are we shit when we play, we're shit in pushing the rules to our advantage.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Jan 2022 09:04

Coppells Lost Coat A change in system is completely needed, its, predictable, slow and so easy to defend against. Look at Luton last night, 2/3 balls forward and we were on the back foot. Compared to our 15 / 16 passes where we get crowded out. Luton controlled the entire game bar a 5 minute spell and were so comfortable watching us labour passes.
Its not the personnel it is the system - when the so called savior of the season came on - we still looked dog shit. Just the same passing for the sake of passing. Also why the f are we still defending corners with everyone in the box - this is the most irritating thing. When was the last time Southwood played a quick counter after a corner, he sprints to the edge of the box then stands there looking. Oh its because no one is left up top to hit. It is so bloody easy. It achieves nothing but chaos and makes our players have to be out of position on a consistent basis

In VP defence he has to use 2 kids as full backs, they were completely out of their depth last night and Drinkwater had a horror show - again. But other than that, he got it all wrong + his post match interview sounded like this was a one off performance?????

Agree in full with the style of play. I’m so bored at games now because we are so dull and predictable. We so rarely get behind the opposition and constantly play in front of them taking an absolute age to cross the ball into the box.
This has been going on for so long and is reminiscent of the dregs of Stam’s final weeks.

We crawled over the line in the Stam/Clement season. We won’t this time unless managerial change is effected.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Jan 2022 09:05

PieEater On the way to the game I was wondering why it was rescheduled so soon and why we didn't use the 14 player squad excuse to push it further away. With the players we had there was only going to be one likely winner.

Not only are we shit when we play, we're shit in pushing the rules to our advantage.

Yep. I have been thinking this. It makes zero sense.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2022 09:06

Zip
PieEater On the way to the game I was wondering why it was rescheduled so soon and why we didn't use the 14 player squad excuse to push it further away. With the players we had there was only going to be one likely winner.

Yep. I have been thinking this. It makes zero sense.

totally. Esp when it sounds like we should have 5 or 6 back in a couple of weeks time. Brainless.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 20 Jan 2022 09:13

Zip Agree in full with the style of play. I’m so bored at games now because we are so dull and predictable. We so rarely get behind the opposition and constantly play in front of them taking an absolute age to cross the ball into the box.
This has been going on for so long and is reminiscent of the dregs of Stam’s final weeks.

Exactly, short balls to feet, constantly play with our backs to goal - making it obvious play backwards or sideways, we are fully reliant on a individual piece of skill to get us going. But when you have zero confidence the players are not going to risk it. So play safe or do nothing with the ball. So easy to defend against.
The few times we passed it in front of the player to run onto - they stood there thinking it would be a ball to feet and lost possession.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 20 Jan 2022 09:18

Powder puff was the word of the night. So, so easy for Luton Town. Yes Luton Town, just think about that for a minute. Turned over by Luton Town and could and should of been more. There keeper did not have to dive once throughout the game.

No threat, no attacking intent, nothing. Devoid of ideas. This is not just one game this has now been the pattern for months.

Surely someone is looking at this, like we do, and putting pressure on for change...

Just need to get back to basics with this team. Structure, determination and getting the ball forward to take chances.

That, last night has to be right up their in one of the worst performances i have witnessed.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 20 Jan 2022 09:32

Fair play in Joao and Morrisson acknowledging fans. But Pauno, seriously what is he doing, coming over to the fans to applaud. Is he nuts? He hardly ever did that, and now toxic, he is.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jan 2022 09:32

I'm not sure how much longer this can continue for. Dai Yongge allegedly watches every game, so he must have watched last night's performance. But even still, no wins since November and no home win since October. The most worrying part now for me is, the first 10-15 games of the season we were poor defensively, but we could score goals and I would back us in most games to be able to outscore opposition. However now, we are struggling massively for goals and we haven't improved defensively. We either don't score and lose or, even when we do score, we end up losing (or not winning in the case of Derby but that's when we scored twice).

I really wanted this to work out for Pauno, but it's clear it's not going to change. I'm all for giving the manager time, but we have seen a consistent pattern for long enough now to know this isn't going to change and judging by last night's performance and Pauno's comments afterwards, there didn't seem any desire to win that game, it was a stroll for Luton. That reflects on the manager, if you can't put your team out there, regardless of the selection, to have passion and desire to win a football match, then you do not have control of your players. At this stage though, I'm not sure at what point the board would pull the trigger.

The only logical thing I can think of is that the board will wait until the January window is done, then remove Pauno before our first game in February (a crucial month given our fixtures) and say to a new, incoming manager, "this is your squad for the season, this our situation, we need to survive". But I honestly can't see that happening either. A part of me hopes I am proved wrong and that Pauno can turn it around in February and beyond so that we stay up, but a bigger part of me that cares about the short term future of the club also tells me that we really need a change, especially as our availability in picking a decent starting XI starts to improve.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2022 09:42

Hound
leon

:)

tbf I have for a few weeks now

I'd say you know you've reached crisis point when stranded gives up the optimism

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jan 2022 09:43

paultheroyal Powder puff was the word of the night. So, so easy for Luton Town. Yes Luton Town, just think about that for a minute. Turned over by Luton Town and could and should of been more. There keeper did not have to dive once throughout the game.

No threat, no attacking intent, nothing. Devoid of ideas. This is not just one game this has now been the pattern for months.

Surely someone is looking at this, like we do, and putting pressure on for change...

Just need to get back to basics with this team. Structure, determination and getting the ball forward to take chances.

That, last night has to be right up their in one of the worst performances i have witnessed.

I admire your relentless positivity but even you must now admit we are fcuked, Paul?

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 20 Jan 2022 09:44

There genuinely cannot be another reason aside from financial why Pauno is still in a job.

We have seen how cut-throat the owner has been in the past with managers and this is bar far the worst it has ever been.

By removing Pauno and his staff and paying the remaining of their contracts off it must breach the agreed business plan with the EFL which would result in a further points reduction which we simply cannot afford.

So it is all very well fans calling for the managers head and saying the owner doesn't care because he hasn't sacked Pauno but this must be the reason.

Fans saying the rebuild in League One will be good for us - NO IT WON'T! We have to stay in the division, we are stuck with Pauno - we have no choice but to get behind the team and hope they can get us out of this mess.

Saturday team for me (hoping full backs return) -
Southwood
Yiadom - Morrison - Holmes - Rahman
Laurent - Rino (we need these two back together protecting the back 4)
Camara - Swift - Ejaria
Joao (has to start)

438 posts