MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (h)

438 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (h)

by Zip » 20 Jan 2022 09:47

hughsies no.1 There genuinely cannot be another reason aside from financial why Pauno is still in a job.

We have seen how cut-throat the owner has been in the past with managers and this is bar far the worst it has ever been.

By removing Pauno and his staff and paying the remaining of their contracts off it must breach the agreed business plan with the EFL which would result in a further points reduction which we simply cannot afford.

So it is all very well fans calling for the managers head and saying the owner doesn't care because he hasn't sacked Pauno but this must be the reason.

Fans saying the rebuild in League One will be good for us - NO IT WON'T! We have to stay in the division, we are stuck with Pauno - we have no choice but to get behind the team and hope they can get us out of this mess.

Saturday team for me (hoping full backs return) -
Southwood
Yiadom - Morrison - Holmes - Rahman
Laurent - Rino (we need these two back together protecting the back 4)
Camara - Swift - Ejaria
Joao (has to start)

I can’t see Ejaria starting any time soon.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 20 Jan 2022 09:53

NathStPaul
paultheroyal Powder puff was the word of the night. So, so easy for Luton Town. Yes Luton Town, just think about that for a minute. Turned over by Luton Town and could and should of been more. There keeper did not have to dive once throughout the game.

No threat, no attacking intent, nothing. Devoid of ideas. This is not just one game this has now been the pattern for months.

Surely someone is looking at this, like we do, and putting pressure on for change...

Just need to get back to basics with this team. Structure, determination and getting the ball forward to take chances.

That, last night has to be right up their in one of the worst performances i have witnessed.

I admire your relentless positivity but even you must now admit we are fcuked, Paul?

Unless change is made, and a change which involves Warnock, McCarthy, Pulis, then yep.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 20 Jan 2022 09:55

The starting 11 now is irrelevant. We need to field 11 players who want to make things happen on the pitch - not ones that trust a failing system. And it is the system failing, nothing more. It has sucked the life out of every one - fans, staff players.
High energy, play for every ball use the pitch behind the opposition - I am not sure we challenge for 2nd balls these days but it would be a good tactic to adopt. Set up the team so the opposition defenders HAVE to be constantly thinking where the ball might go. Last night, did we even get caught offside?

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 20 Jan 2022 09:55

Zip
hughsies no.1 There genuinely cannot be another reason aside from financial why Pauno is still in a job.

We have seen how cut-throat the owner has been in the past with managers and this is bar far the worst it has ever been.

By removing Pauno and his staff and paying the remaining of their contracts off it must breach the agreed business plan with the EFL which would result in a further points reduction which we simply cannot afford.

So it is all very well fans calling for the managers head and saying the owner doesn't care because he hasn't sacked Pauno but this must be the reason.

Fans saying the rebuild in League One will be good for us - NO IT WON'T! We have to stay in the division, we are stuck with Pauno - we have no choice but to get behind the team and hope they can get us out of this mess.

Southwood
Camara - Swift - Ejaria
Joao (has to start)

Yeah true, Pauno said he is back training and injury free so hopefully fitness can pick up. Just would be great to go back to basics so to speak under Pauno - having Swift and Ejaria playing off eachother behind Joao - getting that Laurent and Rino pairing back together. All season we have seen square pegs in round holes, we played last night with 5 centre midfielders. In times of trouble always back to basics where possible.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 20 Jan 2022 10:24

Zip
URZZZZZZZZ Any idea what the attendance was?

It’s on this page.....9611

Come on, you don’t actually expect me to come onto this forum and read it do you?……… thank you!

That is a torrid figure and is reflective of the club not investing in any form of marketing resource (amongst everything else). Jackie Evans has a lot to answer for, she doesn’t know what she’s doing.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Jan 2022 10:25

hughsies no.1
Zip

Southwood
Camara - Swift - Ejaria
Joao (has to start)

Yeah true, Pauno said he is back training and injury free so hopefully fitness can pick up. Just would be great to go back to basics so to speak under Pauno - having Swift and Ejaria playing off eachother behind Joao - getting that Laurent and Rino pairing back together. All season we have seen square pegs in round holes, we played last night with 5 centre midfielders. In times of trouble always back to basics where possible.

Good to hear Ejaria is back. Maybe on the bench for Saturday.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 20 Jan 2022 10:27

stop playing just 1 up front at home to shit mid-table teams.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 20 Jan 2022 10:31

URZZZZZZZZ Come on, you don’t actually expect me to come onto this forum and read it do you?……… thank you!

That is a torrid figure and is reflective of the club not investing in any form of marketing resource (amongst everything else). Jackie Evans has a lot to answer for, she doesn’t know what she’s doing.

So how exactly would you markey RFC at the moment? "Come and watch the public execution", or as a clown show?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Jan 2022 10:40

Dirk Gently
URZZZZZZZZ Come on, you don’t actually expect me to come onto this forum and read it do you?……… thank you!

So how exactly would you markey RFC at the moment? "Come and watch the public execution", or as a clown show?

He means marketing it to the away fans.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jan 2022 10:46

Anyone know a Saudi Arabian billionaire?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 20 Jan 2022 10:47

NathStPaul Anyone know a Saudi Arabian billionaire?

Kia does

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jan 2022 10:48

Zip
hughsies no.1
Zip

Good to hear Ejaria is back. Maybe on the bench for Saturday.

We are not too far away from fielding potentially our strongest side with that other than Camara, so we really need to see an upturn in results. Pauno did say February would be the month where we can kick on, but we definitely need another reinforcement in an attacking area at minimum if we can this window as well as getting Carroll signed on.

However, performances like last night and it won't matter what team we have out.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Jan 2022 10:50

Hound
URZZZZ
Constantly look so lethargic. Little incentive for the players when they’re not going to be here next season

Just don’t buy this. If any of the players actually think this way they need a massive reality check

Truth is staying at Reading is probably as good as many of them will get. Can’t see clubs queuing up for Dann, Hoilett, Hal etc

Holmes, Swift and Laurent were being looked at by top end champ and prem clubs - that ain’t happening on their current performances. Swift has gone from Prem team to likely a strong champ team - and maybe even a reduction on current wages

Some of the kids - Camara etc - might be looked at, but realistically moving might put their careers back 2-3 years. They’d have not have got a game this year at most clubs

Few teams will be interested in players who got relegated in our current circumstances

If in your job your in the last 5 months of the contract, and know your next role depends on how you perform in that period, it should give you a massive kick up the backside, not the opposite. For some, this is the most impt 5 months of their career imo

I think the truth probably lies in the middle somewhere

The likes of Drinkwater and Swift have enough credit in the bank for teams to take a punt on them. If you were to look at Swift’s stats in isolation, you’d easily think he’s worth a go as a lower Prem team. TDB is still a young player and his G/A ratio is fairly impressive, again, another one you’d think there’d be sufficient interest in. Puscas will easily get a move away and Laurent on a free will be a no brainer. You may be right with the likes of Dann and Hoilett who probably only have a couple of seasons left in them but I think they’re an exception to the norm

You mention in our current circumstances but I think other managers will take a look at the mitigating factors we’re currently experiencing which will most likely work in the players’ favour in terms of future transfers

Either way, if this is the players giving their all, then I’d hate to see any less

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2022 11:00

URZZZZ
Hound
URZZZZ
Constantly look so lethargic. Little incentive for the players when they’re not going to be here next season

Just don’t buy this. If any of the players actually think this way they need a massive reality check

Truth is staying at Reading is probably as good as many of them will get. Can’t see clubs queuing up for Dann, Hoilett, Hal etc

Holmes, Swift and Laurent were being looked at by top end champ and prem clubs - that ain’t happening on their current performances. Swift has gone from Prem team to likely a strong champ team - and maybe even a reduction on current wages

Some of the kids - Camara etc - might be looked at, but realistically moving might put their careers back 2-3 years. They’d have not have got a game this year at most clubs

Few teams will be interested in players who got relegated in our current circumstances

If in your job your in the last 5 months of the contract, and know your next role depends on how you perform in that period, it should give you a massive kick up the backside, not the opposite. For some, this is the most impt 5 months of their career imo

I think the truth probably lies in the middle somewhere

The likes of Drinkwater and Swift have enough credit in the bank for teams to take a punt on them. If you were to look at Swift’s stats in isolation, you’d easily think he’s worth a go as a lower Prem team. TDB is still a young player and his G/A ratio is fairly impressive, again, another one you’d think there’d be sufficient interest in. Puscas will easily get a move away and Laurent on a free will be a no brainer. You may be right with the likes of Dann and Hoilett who probably only have a couple of seasons left in them but I think they’re an exception to the norm

You mention in our current circumstances but I think other managers will take a look at the mitigating factors we’re currently experiencing which will most likely work in the players’ favour in terms of future transfers

Either way, if this is the players giving their all, then I’d hate to see any less

I suspect some are of the mindset you mentioned. They really shouldn't be.

Its not just about finding another club. Its having sufficient interest to be in a strong negotiating position. Swift and Laurent will find other clubs of course. But the ones they want, at the salary they want? Not if we go down and they continue to stink the place out.

TDB, Drinkwater and Baba - their next club/loan will depend on how they perform. TDB might get a lower champ club again.

For Holmes, Yiadom, Hal, Dann, Hoilett, Clarke, Morrison, Rinomhota - absolutely the best thing for them is for Reading to stay up as they won't have many other champ takers who will play them and pay them a champ wage. Maybe they need to be strongly reminded of this fact.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 20 Jan 2022 11:03

Tom Holmes getting it large on here.
That would be 21 year old 2nd full season professional playing with 2 novices at full-back.

A couple of weeks or so ago he was man of the match v Hull.

He tries but is still fairly inexperienced so I will carry on cutting him some slack -has he signed a new contract yet and if not is that on the mind of a 21 year old unsure of his future?

I have been lucky enough to miss the last 3 home games because of my wife being ill but with her steady recovery I have no excuses this Saturday. :cry:

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jan 2022 11:04

Holmes, Yiadom and Rinomhota will have a lot of suitors in the Championship next season, they are solid Championship players and will end up having a Championship wage somewhere I'd imagine. The rest would struggle.

Players should definitely not be underperforming because they are out of contract at the end of the season and a lot will likely not be here, you're playing for your futures. The last thing you want to be doing is being released and be at no club really because you then have to find another club, agree a wage, potentially relocate your family etc.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2022 11:06

YorkshireRoyal99 Holmes, Yiadom and Rinomhota will have a lot of suitors in the Championship next season.

Will they? Yiadom - getting on a bit, injury issues. Rino - inexplicably out injured for most of the season. Not played particularly well for a year or so. Holmes - pretty young with potential, but been a liability recently. Wouldnt imagine him being anyone's first choice CB in this div.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jan 2022 11:07

We won't sell anyone we already have I wouldn't have though, very little point.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2022 11:08

South Coast Royal He tries but is still fairly inexperienced so I will carry on cutting him some slack -has he signed a new contract yet and if not is that on the mind of a 21 year old unsure of his future?

Well the offer of a new one has been there all season I believe. If its affecting his performances, then its on him really.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 20 Jan 2022 11:14

Snowflake Royal
Jagermesiter1871
Snowflake Royal For who?

Literally anyone.

You'd make a worse manager than Pauno.

Ashcroft and Bristow showing exactly the quality we have left to choose from, and they're the most ready ones.

Holzman would be eaten alive.

Wrong - I'd play 2 up top so we'd score more than we concede and hence win.

438 posts