Who realistically replaces Paunovic…?

328 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Who realistically replaces Paunovic…?

by SCIAG » 12 Jan 2022 15:41

Greatwesternline Knowing the club must be the most over rated attribute in a manager.

Firstly which club do they know, the one they played for, which apart from the stadium and the colour on the kits is often very different to the one they would now manage.

Anyone from our successful eras under Coppell and McDermot doesn't know the club, they knew the club. Its not the same club now.

Anyone who was successful in 2006 won't command respect of the current players, unless perhaps their name is Steve Sidwell.

The problem we've got in spades is injuries. A new face doesnt solve those.

In all our previous predicaments i always thought we were only one managerial change away from a renewal, or a relegation avoided. This time, because there is no fix to the injuries i can't see it.

Furthermore, any managerial change doesnt change the fact that Joorabchim had too much say over transfers. We aren't allowed to blow money anymore which saves us from his awful decision making, but you get the feeling that if we ever return to financially normality (how?) our owner would still be asking that charlatan for advice, and we'd still be paying over the odds for average mercenaries, as opposed to picking up players with something to prove which served us so well.

The club is in a situation where its problems can't be solved short term by a managerial change, and in the medium term can't be changed because of the financial restrictions, and in the longer term won't be saved because our owner for all his money is extremely poor at where he sources his football advice from.

I've been saying Adie Viveash for years, probably since Adkins left. Former Chelsea U18 and U21 manager (managed Swift, Ake, Chalobah, Piazon, Baker, plus the likes of RLC, Christensen, Tomori, Mount, Solanke, Abraham) and now assistant manager at Coventry, who have Maatsen and Clarke-Salter on loan from Chelsea. On the other hand, our connections to Chelsea are already quite strong.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 12 Jan 2022 15:43

URZZZZ
Greatwesternline

In all our previous predicaments i always thought we were only one managerial change away from a renewal, or a relegation avoided. This time, because there is no fix to the injuries i can't see it.

Unless, of course, there’s a direct link between and our manager and his coaching methods to the number of injuries in the squad. Not sure it’s a coincidence with the number of injuries we’re getting

In which case, a new face may solve that problem

Or a direct link between our manager and our injured players simply not buying into his agenda and not pushing themselves to get back playing his system in a hurry.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 12 Jan 2022 15:53

Isn't it obvious?

There was someone at the club at the start of the season who suddenly left

Rumour has it that he went away to do his coaching badges

The club should be now be looking to get him back

That's right, Kingsley may be our new manager (Queensley as assistant, their new cub can look after the U23s)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jan 2022 17:09

Who Moved The Goalposts?
URZZZZ
Greatwesternline

Unless, of course, there’s a direct link between and our manager and his coaching methods to the number of injuries in the squad. Not sure it’s a coincidence with the number of injuries we’re getting

In which case, a new face may solve that problem

Or a direct link between our manager and our injured players simply not buying into his agenda and not pushing themselves to get back playing his system in a hurry.

Yep. Something isn’t right. It could be the preparation, the coaching, the care the players are taking after themselves. The lack of desire to get fit.

Either way, time has long gone to absolve the management of any blame for the injury/unavailability predicament

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2022 17:40

Yep. Impact injury excuse just looks farcical at this point.

Azeez has now broken down three times on return.

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 12 Jan 2022 17:43

morganb That's right, Kingsley may be our new manager

Definitely the mane man. He'd be the pride of the club. Hopefully he'd have a high release claws. In short, the purrfect appointment.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 12 Jan 2022 18:55

ILoveMoonPig

Definitely the mane man. He'd be the pride of the club. Hopefully he'd have a high release claws. In short, the purrfect appointment.

I was going to say that was a grrrrrreat effort before remembering Tony the Tiger was a in fact a tiger and our potential new manager is a lion

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 12 Jan 2022 19:19

ILoveMoonPig

No jokes, I would take Kingsley over Pauno. He can’t be any worse and has more roar paw with the fans.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 12 Jan 2022 19:20

The only former players I'd consider would be Viveash (good post above, forgot his Chelsea record) and Rosenior who does all the tactics/training at Derby.

Forget Parky (done nothing for years and had money at Wrexham and they've gone backwards) Murty (2x 8 week stints in a pub league) and anyone else associated with the club.

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 12 Jan 2022 20:12

Give it Brian McDermott until the end of the season and then move him up to director of football for the following season.

He knows what this club looks like when it's been successful in the past and we can do with his scouting skills to build us a decent squad on the cheap while we manage the FFP issues.

No matter what league we are in next season the squad is going to need a massive rebuild.

Forest Gump

by Forest Gump » 12 Jan 2022 20:41

Kelly Chambers

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 12 Jan 2022 20:45

royalp-we
Millsy So help me out with this. Again, genuine humble questions not a troll.

1- Is there any way Pauno can be sacked without having to pay out based on the insane results lately?

2- If not what is the likely payout going to be?

3- If high, and getting another man is also a big cost (eg Colin) would that be something we'd have to have approved by the EFL or is that a basic necessity?

4 - MY opinion is that even if it costs say £1.5mill to get rid of Pauno and say another £1mill up-front or whatever to bring in a new man and we then risk another 6 point deduction next season so be it - much rather have a good manager and 6 points off next season in the Champ than endure any more Paunovication surely. Is this how it would work?

As a complete guess Pauno must be on what, £10-£20k pw? There’s no chance it would cost that much to pay up his contract.

If we appoint a manager who isn’t under contract why would we pay £1m upfront?

In what world would we not have to pay up Pauno’s contract in full if he was sacked … unless he has a performance clause in his contract. If that were the case, shirley we’d have done it by now

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Jan 2022 21:04

Franchise FC
royalp-we
Millsy So help me out with this. Again, genuine humble questions not a troll.

1- Is there any way Pauno can be sacked without having to pay out based on the insane results lately?

2- If not what is the likely payout going to be?

3- If high, and getting another man is also a big cost (eg Colin) would that be something we'd have to have approved by the EFL or is that a basic necessity?

4 - MY opinion is that even if it costs say £1.5mill to get rid of Pauno and say another £1mill up-front or whatever to bring in a new man and we then risk another 6 point deduction next season so be it - much rather have a good manager and 6 points off next season in the Champ than endure any more Paunovication surely. Is this how it would work?

As a complete guess Pauno must be on what, £10-£20k pw? There’s no chance it would cost that much to pay up his contract.

If we appoint a manager who isn’t under contract why would we pay £1m upfront?

In what world would we not have to pay up Pauno’s contract in full if he was sacked … unless he has a performance clause in his contract. If that were the case, shirley we’d have done it by now

Unless he walks. Gomes wanted to but was asked to stay. Which he did for a bit longer. Contracts can be cancelled by mutual agreement. Pauno comes across as an honest guy. The personal toll on him must be unbearable. More to life than money.

Fezza

by Fezza » 12 Jan 2022 21:04

I'd take Pulis ahead of Colin.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 13 Jan 2022 09:15

Snowflake Royal Yep. Impact injury excuse just looks farcical at this point.

The fact the same player keeps breaking down suggests that player has a problem not the manager. Some people's bodies aren't cut out for top level sport and they only find out about it when they reach the top level of intensity.

I know everyone wants a reason for everything because it makes them feel better if they can blame everything on something.

It is also possible that Reading's current crop of players are injury prone.

That's more likely than a recently qualified manager has strange coaching tactics that injure players.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jan 2022 09:21

Greatwesternline

The fact the same player keeps breaking down suggests that player has a problem not the manager. Some people's bodies aren't cut out for top level sport and they only find out about it when they reach the top level of intensity.

I know everyone wants a reason for everything because it makes them feel better if they can blame everything on something.

That's more likely than a recently qualified manager has strange coaching tactics that injure players.

But why are they injury prone? Is it more likely that we are just unlucky and have double the injuries the next worst hit club does?

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 13 Jan 2022 09:30

Hound
Greatwesternline

But why are they injury prone? Is it more likely that we are just unlucky and have double the injuries the next worst hit club does?

The individual biomechanics of their body? And we happen to have struck upon a quite a few at once?

There are 92 professional teams, over the last 20 years i suspect at any given time there would have been another club somewhere with this many injuries. Right now its happening to us.

Its possible Araruna's knees simply arent strong enough for his body. Its possible morrison is old and his body is giving up. Its possible Moore has damaged his shoulder beyond repair and as a result his body was over compensating in other areas which will make him injury prone. Its possible meite did his ligaments. Meite has injured his knees before. Your body never heals its knees perfectly. Its possible Joao did similar.

my wife was a GB heptathlete as a teenager all the way up to 18, her brother was a GB long jumper up to 22. Both succumbed to knee injuries as did their dad who was an england rugby league and union player.

Most of their fellow cohort of gb athletes careers ended from injury rather than lack of ability. Rutherford who everyone has heard of was not the best GB long jumper 2 years prior to London 2012. But he didnt get injured. His body was more capable of the intensity required to maintain high level sport compared to others.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Jan 2022 09:32

Greatwesternline
Hound
Greatwesternline

The individual biomechanics of their body? And we happen to have struck upon a quite a few at once?

There are 92 professional teams, over the last 20 years i suspect at any given time there would have been another club somewhere with this many injuries. Right now its happening to us.

Its possible Araruna's knees simply arent strong enough for his body. Its possible morrison is old and his body is giving up. Its possible Moore has damaged his shoulder beyond repair and as a result his body was over compensating in other areas which will make him injury prone. Its possible meite did his ligaments. Meite has injured his knees before. Your body never heals its knees perfectly. Its possible Joao did similar.

my wife was a GB heptathlete as a teenager all the way up to 18, her brother was a GB long jumper up to 22. Both succumbed to knee injuries as did their dad who was an england rugby league and union player.

Most of their fellow cohort of gb athletes careers ended from injury rather than lack of ability. Rutherford who everyone has heard of was not the best GB long jumper 2 years prior to London 2012. But he didnt get injured. His body was more capable of the intensity required to maintain high level sport compared to others.

Agree here. Araruna has had at least two knee operations, the start of last season and during the summer and now it's happened again. Meite has had his knee injuries and Moore has had an issue with his shoulder for a while now, none of this is new, they are recurring injuries which really either comes down to the players' body or the medical team have not been good enough at managing these injuries, but even then they can only be "managed" so far, sometimes it can never return to normal.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 13 Jan 2022 09:59

Forest Gump Kelly Chambers

Bearing in mind that Reading Women looked like relegation fodder at the start of the season but she has now turned it round and they are doing well this could be a good shout.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jan 2022 10:01

Greatwesternline
Hound
Greatwesternline

Yep and quite possibly over those 20 years, each of those clubs has had issues with the 'maintenance' of those players.

We've seen a number of players come back and get injured again very quickly. Repeated soft tissue injuries. Moore's not been especially injury prone. Joao is basically on track I think. The number of set backs players - McIntyre, Morrison, Rinomhotam Azeez, AH, Ejaria, Moore - thats where I've my concerns. Not all are historically injury prone by any stretch.

328 posts