Who realistically replaces Paunovic…?

328 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Who realistically replaces Paunovic…?

by Zip » 12 Jan 2022 10:03

Mid Sussex Royal The problem is I can't see that bringing change will achieve anything with the injuries as they are. Quite honestly Pep/Klopp would struggle with our current squad available.

We have 4 senior centre halves out until no one knows, as no one in the press asks. Add in 30 goals from last season out all season to date and for good measure 3 full backs unavailable/injured.

And we have to sell to be able to buy because of the EFL.

Plus those that are “fit” aren’t because they all run out of steam early in the second half.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Jan 2022 10:05

Mid Sussex Royal The problem is I can't see that bringing change will achieve anything with the injuries as they are. Quite honestly Pep/Klopp would struggle with our current squad available.

We have 4 senior centre halves out until no one knows, as no one in the press asks. Add in 30 goals from last season out all season to date and for good measure 3 full backs unavailable/injured.

And we have to sell to be able to buy because of the EFL.

Someone new can change a whole host of things. Scrap zonal marking for one. Use wing play is another. Press higher, faster, harder.

Regardless who is playing and injuries, we have been on a downward spiral for 12 months, this is not new. He is stubborn and clearly lost the dressing room. I hate that phrase but clearly the case.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Jan 2022 10:07

Serious suggestion I've mentioned before:

If we can't get Warnock, Parky, Ainsworth, whoemever then Andy Carroll as player manager.

Tough chap, loads of respect surely. And we'd kill two birds with one stone.

McGhee, Quinn, Gooding all did alright.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 12 Jan 2022 11:08

Millsy Serious suggestion I've mentioned before:

If we can't get Warnock, Parky, Ainsworth, whoemever then Andy Carroll as player manager.

Wouldn't he need coaching badges etc ... or does he already?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Jan 2022 11:18

Horsham Royal
Millsy Serious suggestion I've mentioned before:

Wouldn't he need coaching badges etc ... or does he already?

No idea.

Does Pauno? :P

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jan 2022 11:29

Andy Carroll as player manager must be a wind up attempt?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Jan 2022 11:42

YorkshireRoyal99 Andy Carroll as player manager must be a wind up attempt?

Saying something is windup is quite possibly the most pathetic way of saying you don't agree. Just saying.

Like anyone else I'd rather a proper manager but I've stated the situation and the reasons why. Just thinking outside the box.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 12 Jan 2022 11:49

how about Michael Gilkes and Mikele Leigertwood stepping up on a caretaker basis from Academy director and U 18 coach ??

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Jan 2022 11:50

Royals and Racers how about Michael Gilkes and Mikele Leigertwood stepping up on a caretaker basis from Academy director and U 18 coach ??

I think this is a scenario far more likely than others. That is, if Paunovic is sacked at all.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Jan 2022 13:27

Pauno means Peacock in Serbian.

Which is quite interesting really when you think about it.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 12 Jan 2022 14:25

Royals and Racers how about Michael Gilkes and Mikele Leigertwood stepping up on a caretaker basis from Academy director and U 18 coach ??

You are thinking along the lines I was thinking of. I didn't think of Leigerwood stepping up as well as Gilkes, a good idea though. Pauno and his deputy (Milko, or something is it?) put on gardening leave. We could employ Murty to look after the academy. As the academy does not count towards FFP, ( I have read that on here), the club will not incur further FFP breaches.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 12 Jan 2022 14:53

I would love to see Gilksey given a shot at the job. As someone who knows the club, who played there for so long, who has been coaching there for so long, who knows the set up, knows the academy he seems to me a plausible contender. I presume Gilksey must have coaching badges of some description. Give him a chance.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 12 Jan 2022 14:57

Gilkes should be nowhere near the academy let alone the first team. Quite how he got tasked with leading our Cat 1 academy is a mystery.

As for the original question, given Joorabchian is still heavily involved at the club it's safe to assume it would be a client of his. Obvious one would be Mark Hughes but I'd be amazed if he wanted it.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Jan 2022 15:01

RG30 Gilkes should be nowhere near the academy let alone the first team. Quite how he got tasked with leading our Cat 1 academy is a mystery.

This, really. He didn't even last a full season at Basingstoke and I remember him being quite ridiculed.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 12 Jan 2022 15:12

I'm starting to think our best bet until we get our finances in order is to just hire a good coach from a big club and use the connection to loan in the best young players in the country. Look at some of the talent thats been in the championship the last few years, even just from Chelsea I can think of Abraham, Mount, Tomori, James, Gallagher and obviously Miazga, Baker etc with us

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 12 Jan 2022 15:15

Knowing the club must be the most over rated attribute in a manager.

Firstly which club do they know, the one they played for, which apart from the stadium and the colour on the kits is often very different to the one they would now manage.

Anyone from our successful eras under Coppell and McDermot doesn't know the club, they knew the club. Its not the same club now.

Anyone who was successful in 2006 won't command respect of the current players, unless perhaps their name is Steve Sidwell.

The problem we've got in spades is injuries. A new face doesnt solve those.

In all our previous predicaments i always thought we were only one managerial change away from a renewal, or a relegation avoided. This time, because there is no fix to the injuries i can't see it.

Furthermore, any managerial change doesnt change the fact that Joorabchim had too much say over transfers. We aren't allowed to blow money anymore which saves us from his awful decision making, but you get the feeling that if we ever return to financially normality (how?) our owner would still be asking that charlatan for advice, and we'd still be paying over the odds for average mercenaries, as opposed to picking up players with something to prove which served us so well.

The club is in a situation where its problems can't be solved short term by a managerial change, and in the medium term can't be changed because of the financial restrictions, and in the longer term won't be saved because our owner for all his money is extremely poor at where he sources his football advice from.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jan 2022 15:16

And we have to sell to be able to buy because we massively broke the rules.

Edited for you.

The current mess is 90% of the clubs making and 10% bad luck.

And that 10% is pretty much a consequence of years of bad management, so sod it, it is 100% the clubs own fault.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 12 Jan 2022 15:30

So, based on our appalling recruitment strategy in recent years - i'm currently trying to think of the worst realistic candidate that they would go for. Obviously the answer is some absolute random who none of us have ever heard off - but beyond that . . . .

It would be someone high profile but lacking appropriate experience - just the wrong fit for the club. Basically a celebrity appointment.

Joey Barton??

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Jan 2022 15:31

Greatwesternline

In all our previous predicaments i always thought we were only one managerial change away from a renewal, or a relegation avoided. This time, because there is no fix to the injuries i can't see it.

Unless, of course, there’s a direct link between and our manager and his coaching methods to the number of injuries in the squad. Not sure it’s a coincidence with the number of injuries we’re getting

In which case, a new face may solve that problem

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 12 Jan 2022 15:39

URZZZZ
Greatwesternline

Unless, of course, there’s a direct link between and our manager and his coaching methods to the number of injuries in the squad. Not sure it’s a coincidence with the number of injuries we’re getting

In which case, a new face may solve that problem

I know its tempting to try and find a reason for everything, but i find it hard to believe any coach within the mainstream methods of coaching is doing anything that different to anyone else in terms of conditioning. Given all coaches get the same qualifications from the same text books, and the players have all grown up under coaches in this same era, if what Pauno Fortune and O'Shea was that different to anyone else to the extent it meant players got injured, it would be more widely known.

The recovery times seem to be lengthy, but again, our physios will only be doing the same recovery work that any other physio who has qualified in the last 10 years is doing elsewhere.

328 posts