Liam moore

578 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Liam moore

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Jan 2022 14:04

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal :| Try Reading what I said again. Because you're arguing with something I didn't say.

The problem is I'm not actually sure what you're trying to say. Your original post said that under Moore's captaincy the players refused to come out for the traditional and promised lap of honour after our 4-0 defeat against Ipswich because they would rather sulk and then referred to "great captaincy that was".

So what exactly are you trying to say?

You've just quoted it exactly. If you don’t get it from that and the other posts I can't help any more.

Sorry then, I'll rephrase. What are you trying to suggest by saying that? Are you trying to suggest that Liam Moore is responsible for that happening on that day?

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 18 Jan 2022 14:05

YorkshireRoyal99
Coppells Lost Coat
YorkshireRoyal99
I think we'd certainly command a transfer fee for him, even if it's well short of what it would be if the situation wasn't this. If we were to get £1.5m for him, maybe £2m top side I'd be relatively satisfied with that and hopefully he moves to a club that can fulfill his wage demands, they may be few and far between however. Hopefully a move to the US where money is no object over there.

Best we can expect is a 'transfer fee' to pay off the remaining contract. And the buying club offers Moore a more applicable wage to the standard he plays. Win win for Moore. Reading slash the wage bill. Buying club get a decent CB for 1.5m (ish)

This is where a real DoF comes into things to negotiate a deal that suits all parties with the players agent and interested clubs. Try to strike a deal that the player / club / buying club benefit.

Assuming he's on £30k a week as reported and with him having roughly 18 months left on his contract (78 weeks), his current contract up until expiry works out at £2.34m to pay off the remaining contract. Again, I'd probably expect that to be more like £1.5m depending on who buys him. Not sure it would be financially viable to lose out on a couple of million just to receive no transfer fee or propose a contract termination, but having said that, the board don't seem to be too bothered about taking financial hits on players.

If we only ask for costs to cover his contract - we gain no money but are saving the £2.3m over the next 18 months. I cant see him moving on unless they pay out a good chunk of his contract. Unless the offering club are willing to match or give Moore a new bumper deal. Usually there would be a mutual agreement and the player and club reach an agreement and both parties walk away happy but i am not sure Moore has much good faith in him after that statement.
I seem to remember we done the same sort of thing when we got Rafa.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jan 2022 14:12

I expect any termination of his deal will be a case of us giving him a million or so to piss off. then he is free to negotiate himself a new contract with another club on something like 10-15k p/w for 2-3 years. (haven't done the exact maths here but you get the idea)

We get rid and save 1.5m (still very significant in terms of our budget next year) and he doesn't lose out financially long term, and gets to play again

And tbh, putting out this statement makes little difference in my eyes. No one wanted to take him on before - he handed in his request 2 months ago. We were stuck with him either way. It may just hasten it happening or give his agent the kick up the arse to get things sorted.
Last edited by Hound on 18 Jan 2022 14:15, edited 1 time in total.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 18 Jan 2022 14:15

Snowflake Royal No one forced him to ask for a whacking wage or sign up to it either.

This is a bizarre comment. A prem club comes in and he probably went match what they are offering and i'll stay. Which I think most employees do if they are headhunted. The club did and he couldn't believe it worked.
Whether he is worth it is not the point. He was given the deal he wanted. In my eyes, he didn't deserve that deal and has proven to be an ok to good championship CB on prem wages.
Being club captain + his well documented deal - he put himself in the firing line. It was up to him to be a better player and didn't kick on.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Jan 2022 14:24

Coppells Lost Coat
YorkshireRoyal99
Coppells Lost Coat
Best we can expect is a 'transfer fee' to pay off the remaining contract. And the buying club offers Moore a more applicable wage to the standard he plays. Win win for Moore. Reading slash the wage bill. Buying club get a decent CB for 1.5m (ish)

This is where a real DoF comes into things to negotiate a deal that suits all parties with the players agent and interested clubs. Try to strike a deal that the player / club / buying club benefit.

Assuming he's on £30k a week as reported and with him having roughly 18 months left on his contract (78 weeks), his current contract up until expiry works out at £2.34m to pay off the remaining contract. Again, I'd probably expect that to be more like £1.5m depending on who buys him. Not sure it would be financially viable to lose out on a couple of million just to receive no transfer fee or propose a contract termination, but having said that, the board don't seem to be too bothered about taking financial hits on players.

If we only ask for costs to cover his contract - we gain no money but are saving the £2.3m over the next 18 months. I cant see him moving on unless they pay out a good chunk of his contract. Unless the offering club are willing to match or give Moore a new bumper deal. Usually there would be a mutual agreement and the player and club reach an agreement and both parties walk away happy but i am not sure Moore has much good faith in him after that statement.
I seem to remember we done the same sort of thing when we got Rafa.

Yes I can't imagine that many realistic buying clubs will match his wages now and I can't imagine Moore will take a massive hit on his wages either. I'd like to get some sort of transfer fee for him though potentially and I'd think we would end up getting one if one of Celtic/Rangers were to come in for him for example, be it not large.

I can fully understand just losing him for a nominal fee and just getting his wages off the books.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 18 Jan 2022 14:27

Coppells Lost Coat
Horsham Royal
Coppells Lost Coat

But how is that win win for Moore ... he'd get a pay cut.]

He moves on + gets a nice wedge of cash from Reading (% of his weekly wage to end of his contract) + he would be on a new contract earning weekly wage at a new club. He wont be short on a few quid and not out of pocket.

Got it. I like it.
RFC break even but have a slot for a new (cheaper) player, Moore breaks even and buying club offer around 10k a week and fork out 2.3 mill over 18 months ...
But who'sgoing to pay your 300K agent's fee?
:-)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Jan 2022 15:09

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
The problem is I'm not actually sure what you're trying to say. Your original post said that under Moore's captaincy the players refused to come out for the traditional and promised lap of honour after our 4-0 defeat against Ipswich because they would rather sulk and then referred to "great captaincy that was".

So what exactly are you trying to say?

You've just quoted it exactly. If you don’t get it from that and the other posts I can't help any more.

Sorry then, I'll rephrase. What are you trying to suggest by saying that? Are you trying to suggest that Liam Moore is responsible for that happening on that day?

I'm suggesting that leading a squad where that happens is yet another sign of being a shit captain.

It's also shit management. But Clement paid the price years ago whilst Moore continued to be a waste of money and space.

It's just fuel to the fire of his poor performance in the role.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 18 Jan 2022 15:11

Strange isn't it?
Fans:- We don't hear from our owners, about time Dai told us what is going on.
Dai issues a statement'
Fans:- Why dosen't he shut up!

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Jan 2022 15:16

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal You've just quoted it exactly. If you don’t get it from that and the other posts I can't help any more.

I'm suggesting that leading a squad where that happens is yet another sign of being a shit captain.

It's also shit management. But Clement paid the price years ago whilst Moore continued to be a waste of money and space.

It's just fuel to the fire of his poor performance in the role.

But that might not have entirely been down to Moore himself. Yes, it reflects poorly on him, but that decision on that day may have been down to Clement, which then reflects on him. I wouldn't say that makes him a poor captain if something that doesn't reflect well on the squad wasn't a decision down to him. You can only judge someone on the decisions they have control over ultimately.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Jan 2022 15:44

The Royal Forester Strange isn't it?
Fans:- We don't hear from our owners, about time Dai told us what is going on.
Dai issues a statement'
Fans:- Why dosen't he shut up!

Whilst not in that group of fans, there is a lot of ground to be covered between no comment and Saturday's statement, so I can see why some would want to hear something a little more mundane regularly than setting out a statement that is seeing articles written in the national press.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Jan 2022 16:04

The Green Programme
Zip
The Green Programme
That’s an interesting but disingenuous point.

It appears that you are suggesting that I require an ‘insider knowledge’ in order to judge whether you and other supporters of Liam Moore’s behaviour and attitude as being fitting as a Captain of our Club know anything about what it takes to be a Captain of our Club or any other Club.

I do not need ‘insider knowledge’ to understand that Liam Moore’s behaviour has not been fitting for the role of Captain.

In my opinion, his performance levels have generally been lacking for at least two seasons, if not three.

There have been some shocking performances amongst them too.

He demanded to leave and only stayed because the owners paid him eye watering sums of money.

And was also awarded the Captain’s armband.

I think the owners made an error in paying him such sums of money and not cashing in by selling him once his head was turned, as his behaviour in the ‘loyalty stakes’ was similar to that of Steve Clarke and his ongoing commitment has always been questionable to me.

It’s all about the money and not about the Club. All about saying the right things and not backing it up on the pitch.

Imagine if the owners at that time had responded to Steve Clarke’s behaviour by rewarding him with a huge contract and giving him more responsibility.

Is that the way you’d like the Club run?

Positions of responsibility held by people who threaten to leave unless they are paid more than anyone else?

You didn’t answer my question about ‘captaincy requirements’.

Perhaps you don’t have any and if so, my comment would be entirely accurate about knowing nothing about what may be required of a Captain.

For the purposes of clarity, some of my ‘captaincy requirements’ include;

Loyalty (whilst under contract), commitment, leadership, consistent performances, courage, resilience, discipline, focussed aggression, deeds not words, fighting for the cause of our Club, being the best they can possibly be and at all times being an ambassador of our Club.

I think Liam Moore has failed to demonstrate a number of these requirements for a long time.

Finally, for me, I really rated Liam Moore. I liked him when he was at Leicester. I thought he was a great signing with huge potential. The best of our signings for a little while, at that time.

To begin with I thought we had a gem of a player. A future hero, no less.

For many reasons, certainly not all of his making, it hasn’t worked out.

But it is his performances and his attitude to events (not just at this time)
that has led me to the conclusion that he should go and I think he has been at the Club for at least a year too many.

I wish him all the best elsewhere.

It’s not disingenuous at all. We simply do not know why he has decided he wants to leave. I would want to know both sides of the story before wanting to go along with you and the rest of the hang him out to dry mob.

Last season when we played in front of 2,000 he was talking to the players non stop. Barking out orders constantly. You can’t hear him during normal match days but with a limited crowd it was quite clear he was the leader on the pitch.

He has nearly always played through pain. He should have had an operation on his shoulder. He has struggled with certain aspects of the game in recent years but I wouldn’t fault his desire. I believe he has been committed which again is something I would expect from the captain. He has still been putting his body on the line but his inability to organise the defence and his own poor positioning have let him down.

He was at one time inspirational but those days have long gone because his performance level has dropped so much. He also seems to have lost his enthusiasm for the club which used to be so evident. I remember when we beat QPR when Mannone saved a last minute pen Moore was punching his fists in the air to the delight of the East Stand. I recall him running around the pitch in delight after we drew with West Brom and other results came through confirming our safety. That wasn’t faking it. He clearly cared.

So it’s a mixed bag. We don’t know if he commands the respect of the dressing room. I suspect a lot of players look up to him. None of the other players have ever come out against him and that is a crucial part of being a captain. He has also done his share of external work in the community which again as an ambassador for the club is a key part of his role. He has also paid for supporters to travel to an away game.

He usually comes out to talk to the press after a bad result. Supporters can make their own minds up about how genuine he has been. It often seems like a chore to him in post match interviews but he is not alone in that respect.

Should he go? Absolutely. Will I miss him? Nope. We need him off the books as soon as possible but I dislike the way this has been handled. It shouldn’t be done in public. It isn’t helping the club nor the team handling it this way and it will make it harder to shift him on.

A very good post, and I agree that the Club be could be managing events with far more considered discretion.

The next two weeks could be interesting!

I appreciate you saying that. Thanks. Let’s hope for better times ahead.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 18 Jan 2022 19:04

Trained with Peterboro today (pics on twitter)

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Jan 2022 19:06

Wow….time and tide waits for no-man an’ all that :shock:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Jan 2022 19:12

Mid Sussex Royal Trained with Peterboro today (pics on twitter)

Bloody hell

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 18 Jan 2022 20:05

Hound I expect any termination of his deal will be a case of us giving him a million or so to piss off. then he is free to negotiate himself a new contract with another club on something like 10-15k p/w for 2-3 years. (haven't done the exact maths here but you get the idea)

We get rid and save 1.5m (still very significant in terms of our budget next year) and he doesn't lose out financially long term, and gets to play again

And tbh, putting out this statement makes little difference in my eyes. No one wanted to take him on before - he handed in his request 2 months ago. We were stuck with him either way. It may just hasten it happening or give his agent the kick up the arse to get things sorted.

The Owner who is a Billionaire and who Liam has mightily pissed off can well afford to have him turning out for the U23's for the next 18 months until his career is effectively over at this level.
The Owner is Chinese, he will not lose face over an average championship defender, only one winner here.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 18 Jan 2022 20:09

Zip
Mid Sussex Royal Trained with Peterboro today (pics on twitter)

Bloody hell

That's us safe this season then, just need to get Cardiff to come in for Ejaria and we are golden.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 18 Jan 2022 20:17

Well that`s certainly a step up on his ambition for higher grade football if he`s intent on joining them.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Jan 2022 20:25

….and be careful with those ‘injuries’ Liam

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jan 2022 20:29

72 bus
Hound I expect any termination of his deal will be a case of us giving him a million or so to piss off. then he is free to negotiate himself a new contract with another club on something like 10-15k p/w for 2-3 years. (haven't done the exact maths here but you get the idea)

The Owner who is a Billionaire and who Liam has mightily pissed off can well afford to have him turning out for the U23's for the next 18 months until his career is effectively over at this level.
The Owner is Chinese, he will not lose face over an average championship defender, only one winner here.

Not the point whether the owner can afford to lose the money though is it? It all adds to our budget restraints set by the EFL which is severely limited

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 18 Jan 2022 20:32

Hound
72 bus

Not the point whether the owner can afford to lose the money though is it? It all adds to our budget restraints set by the EFL which is severely limited

And uses a player slot.

578 posts