BFTG - Huddersfield

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Huddersfield

by South Coast Royal » 23 Jan 2022 12:04

windermereROYAL
South Coast Royal
South Coast Royal
Disagree on Huddersfield being not much cop.
Apart from scoring 4 away from home we made at least 3 last ditch blocks in that crazy first half that could have led to goals and they really should have got a 5th when breaking clear in the second half.

I thought they were refreshing to watch with their speedy approach play in the first half and playing at that pace were bound to tire.

Will watch their results now with a bit more interest .

BTW 7 of their 37 league goals this season have been scored against one team. :cry: :cry:

Noted.
Would the much chanted "can we play you every week" be apt for their fans?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Jan 2022 12:54

South Coast Royal
windermereROYAL
South Coast Royal

BTW 7 of their 37 league goals this season have been scored against one team. :cry: :cry:

Noted.
Would the much chanted "can we play you every week" be apt for their fans?

It would be if they were literate and had even a basic grasp of the English language. As they’re dirty northerners, some form of Neanderthal-esque grunting preceding ‘ooga booga Yorkshire’, would be more likely.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 23 Jan 2022 12:57

4 minutes 2 minutes and 8 minutes, the times it took Huddersfield to score after we did, soft under belly doesn`t even come close.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jan 2022 13:42

Too busy being shocked we'd done something good to defend.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 23 Jan 2022 14:46

Our first goal was class. Simple, direct football. Tore right through them. Sublime.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jan 2022 16:16

skipper Our first goal was class. Simple, direct football. Tore right through them. Sublime.

First two goals were excellent

I think that is how Pauno ball works at its best. It just very very rarely does

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jan 2022 19:04

Hound
skipper Our first goal was class. Simple, direct football. Tore right through them. Sublime.

Not sure it's Paunoball... the players were running and passing forward :wink:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Jan 2022 19:07

Hound

We have scored some smashing goals this season and have had to work hard for them. In stark contrast we have gifted the opposition so many goals.
If only the opposition were so generous to us.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jan 2022 22:40

We're all voting Carroll goal of the season for that chest and volley though, right?

I don't gaf it was offside.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 24 Jan 2022 05:02

Snowflake Royal We're all voting Carroll goal of the season for that chest and volley though, right?

I don't gaf it was offside.

Well it wasn't a goal so no you can't vote it goal of the season

:lol:

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 24 Jan 2022 08:38

Another game lost - however at least it was entertaining - there was a lot more tempo and effort from the majority paired with not a lot of quality. Infuriatingly crap defensively and fitness let us down once again - same old excuses. The subs didn't make sense.

I am amazed at how lightly Drinkwater is getting off here! missed passes, several wayward passes, several touches that made Puscas look like Messi and the work ethic of a lounging cat. I cant really think of much he done except shirk any defensive responsibility. Look the the 4th - he thinks about putting in challenge, bottles it, then takes a few steps away from the player?
No wonder we are shipping so many goals if our CM is just letting players moonwalk past him while he looks on. Hindsight is great but i would say we would have got points if we had another CM starting ahead of him.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 24 Jan 2022 09:30

Midfield 3 were the issue on Saturday, and then pretty much all blame on Drinkwater. Slow, pedestrian and certainly in the first half it was a hot knife through butter. I would not blame the defence for that at all, no protection. I am just hoping its a jigsaw puzzle for Pauno now, slowly by sure he is getting there with his formations, next one midfield, but god its painful.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jan 2022 09:41

DD was crap first half particularly (he was ok 2nd) but its an easy way out to just blame him. It was the general set up, fitness levels, organisation of the whole team, alongside some shit keeping, general defending and a bit of bad luck

Agree we'd probably be better by swapping out DD for Rino/Laurent in his position though

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jan 2022 09:45

I'd certainly get Rino and Laurent back in as our double pivot, or if it's a diamond then have one of them at the base of it, probably Laurent to be honest. We could really use those 2 pairing up again in the heart of the midfield to create a solid foundation for us.

As much as we can blame the defence for naivety, as Pauno put it, they could also use some better protection as well from the midfield like they had last season. That would also allow us to play Drinkwater potentially further forward with slightly less defensive responsibility or, if he was to be dropped, it would allow Swift and TDB to play with the ball higher up as well.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 24 Jan 2022 09:48

Oh for a fit and on form Danny Williams.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jan 2022 10:06

If we can have 3 CBs fit for any period of time then we go with a form of 5-3-2, where Rahman/Yiadom are deployed more as wing backs.

Need either Dann or McIntyre fit for it to work - can then drop Drinkwater to the bench - have Rino/Laurent as a pivot behind Swift with Joao/Puscas up top.

Then depending on fitness we have options such as Halilovic/Hoilett/Ejaria to freshen up the attacking midfield option and Drinkwater could come off the bench if needed.

That line up (if ever possible) should still see us be creative up top but much more solid at the back.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 24 Jan 2022 10:06

Hound DD was crap first half particularly (he was ok 2nd) but its an easy way out to just blame him. It was the general set up, fitness levels, organisation of the whole team, alongside some shit keeping, general defending and a bit of bad luck

Agree we'd probably be better by swapping out DD for Rino/Laurent in his position though

We are seeing the real Danny Drinkwater.

This is the Danny Drinkwater who got a dream move and became complacent and happy to accept a huge wage whilst not putting in the effort. The Aston Villa and Chelsea supporters know it all too well. He is a player who had a great season with Leicester who were on a mission to do the impossible and win the Premier League, he had motivation. He also had one of the best midfielders in world football alongside him in Kante.

An unmotivated Danny Drinkwater is just a passenger and of no use to us at all. Lets get Tetek in there, get him ready for next season when we will need him week in and week out.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 24 Jan 2022 10:17

I cant imagine VP set the team up the way DD played tho. It was 442 not exactly a new formation to get your head around as a player. I was expecting him to get subbed at HT or even before - it just wasn't working.
DD offered no protection and half heartedly done his defensive duties - which caused chaos for Holmes and Morro as they had to make decisions which they shouldn't be needing to do. It pulls everyone out of position and made Hudders look amazing as they cut us apart. This is basic football tactics.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jan 2022 10:19

Stranded If we can have 3 CBs fit for any period of time then we go with a form of 5-3-2, where Rahman/Yiadom are deployed more as wing backs.

Need either Dann or McIntyre fit for it to work - can then drop Drinkwater to the bench - have Rino/Laurent as a pivot behind Swift with Joao/Puscas up top.

Then depending on fitness we have options such as Halilovic/Hoilett/Ejaria to freshen up the attacking midfield option and Drinkwater could come off the bench if needed.

That line up (if ever possible) should still see us be creative up top but much more solid at the back.

If we actually have a near full fit team, I'm genuinely at a loss to what would work best. Its good in a way as plenty of options. The Pauno 4-2-3-1 with the following looks decent enough

Yiadom-McIntyre/Dann/Morro/Holmes-Baba
Rino Laurent
Hoilett Swift Ejaria
Joao

or 5-3-2

Yiadom Dann Morro McIntyre Baba
Rino Laurent Swift
Puscas Joao

or as a 4-4-2

Yiadom - 2 Cbs - Baba
Rino
Laurent TDB
Swift
Puscas Joao

Really should have plenty enough with any sort of competent management

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 24 Jan 2022 10:39

Its strange after seeing an out of form Joao for so many games last season and a ineffective CF this season.
You saw on Saturday why the system VP installed worked. Joao just has that swagger and not only holds the ball up, but he puts himself in positions that makes the opposition defend creates the space and those few seconds allows us to get into position. Puscas just doesn't have the tricks and cute touches to do this....
I kind of expect going back to 4231 next game - if we have the right players back.