McNulty

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: McNulty

by Hound » 27 Jan 2022 08:52

We certainly have issues with just signing strikers who don't fit the system. Its difficult to ever judge if they are 'good enough'. they haven't been good enough to play in our systems certainly

McNulty, Baldock, Puscas - all totally unsuited to 1 up top. All almost certainly play best alongside a big physical forward such as Joao or even Bodvarsson, and all have had periods when they've looked ok in a pair.

Joao on the other hand actually plays the 1 up top very well and has generally flourished when not injured.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jan 2022 10:20

Hound We certainly have issues with just signing strikers who don't fit the system. Its difficult to ever judge if they are 'good enough'. they haven't been good enough to play in our systems certainly

McNulty, Baldock, Puscas - all totally unsuited to 1 up top. All almost certainly play best alongside a big physical forward such as Joao or even Bodvarsson, and all have had periods when they've looked ok in a pair.

Joao on the other hand actually plays the 1 up top very well and has generally flourished when not injured.

In fairness to Clement, he did actually want to play a 4-4-2 system and regularly played 2 up top, it's where Meite made his real first breakthrough with the team and scored the majority of his goals as well.

I can fully understand why McNulty and Baldock were signed to play as a 2, but it just hasn't worked out that way for whatever reasons. I suppose anything can look good on paper.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jan 2022 10:34

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound We certainly have issues with just signing strikers who don't fit the system. Its difficult to ever judge if they are 'good enough'. they haven't been good enough to play in our systems certainly

In fairness to Clement, he did actually want to play a 4-4-2 system and regularly played 2 up top, it's where Meite made his real first breakthrough with the team and scored the majority of his goals as well.

I can fully understand why McNulty and Baldock were signed to play as a 2, but it just hasn't worked out that way for whatever reasons. I suppose anything can look good on paper.

Yep fair. While ago now, but I seem to remember Baldock and Bodvarsson being perm-injured under Clement. Certainly Baldock

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jan 2022 10:58

It does stack up a further case against the owners. I know practically speaking Clement was unsuccessful after we avoided relegation, Gomes similar, Bowen did pretty well and didn't get much chance after that and Paunovic has done pretty well up until recently, but it just seems to continue to prove that our problems do actually go way beyond the manager's realms. I won't miss Stam off the list either.

Let's be honest, all 4 of the above are not clueless. They've been in football for years, playing, coaching, managing etc. They've all got a fair amount of experience in coaching, assisting or managing, particularly Bowen and Clement, they all had clear ideas of how to play and we could all sit here and say, on paper, it could have worked. Some better than others, but it still could have worked better than it actually did.

I know sometimes a manager just isn't suited to a particular club for whatever reasons and maybe that was the case with some of the 5 above, potentially Clement for example, but again, he's a vastly experienced coach with previous relatively short-term managerial experience with Derby and Swansea, so he obviously knew what he was talking about and again, at least on paper, you could see how he wanted us to play the signings did make sense as well.

I do just wonder how much of an influence other people in and around the club have had on managers and potentially players, especially with McNulty venting his frustrations as well as others. For example, was it actually Gomes who exiled McCleary and Gunter from the squad in the manner that "he" did? Or could it have been a decision by the owner, someone else on the board, Kia etc. I know some players just are not required at clubs and aren't to the manager's tastes, which may have been the case, but it does make me wonder how much the manager's are actually to blame for everything that has happened in Dai's era.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Jan 2022 12:22

needs to get to 100 pages please

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jan 2022 13:06

Recently is stretching things to the limits for Pauno. Bar a 6 game purple patch we've been pretty poor results wide all the way back to March 21. Nigh on a year.

During that time we went 4 games without a win, 6 without a win, 6 with 1 win, 4 without a win and 7 without a win

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jan 2022 13:35

Snowflake Royal Recently is stretching things to the limits for Pauno. Bar a 6 game purple patch we've been pretty poor results wide all the way back to March 21. Nigh on a year.

During that time we went 4 games without a win, 6 without a win, 6 with 1 win, 4 without a win and 7 without a win

That's pretty fair then it some respects, I more mentioned now because the last 2-3 months have been particularly bad.

I think there is some understanding that a lot of our bad form, even dating back to last year has been down to a lack of squad depth and unavailable players.

It doesn't mean to say we shouldn't have done better, but I don't think it reflects as badly on Pauno's managerial ability as what it otherwise would do under more "normal" circumstances.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Jan 2022 14:08

I can't disagree that the club is a mess, but you can see how different characters react. McIntyre has just said in an interview that Morrison has been pushing him and helping him through the recovery in the gym, and by all accounts it sounds like Morrison is a genuine leader on every level. Adam had a positive impact on the club, as did Carroll for 2 months. We all still oxf*rd love Yaks and can't wait for him to come back.

I know the club has huge issues, and the treatment of players like McCleary and Gunter was a mistake for me. But maybe all these players moaning about the situation should look in the mirror and ask whether they're part of the problem. If Andy Carroll can do more for the club on £1k per week in 2 months than you have achieved in 4 years, maybe there are problems closer to home for you to look at.

If you look at McNulty's loans away from us, 1 has been decent but most suggest we're not missing out on anything. If he'd rather be unemployed, he may well be in luck.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 Jan 2022 14:41

Hound We certainly have issues with just signing strikers who don't fit the system

The managers aren't in place long enough to have a set system. As a result we've ended up with a mixed bag of talents. No long term cohesive strategy. Players are like jig saw pieces they need to fit together. Puscas was a marque signing. One thinks at the behest of the owners. No thought as to how to get the best out of him.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jan 2022 14:47

Lower West
Hound We certainly have issues with just signing strikers who don't fit the system

The managers aren't in place long enough to have a set system. As a result we've ended up with a mixed bag of talents. No long term cohesive strategy. Players are like jig saw pieces they need to fit together. Puscas was a marque signing. One thinks at the behest of the owners. No thought as to how to get the best out of him.

You'd be thinking from the owners that there would be a succession plan though, as in, the owners have a philosophy of how they want us to play and go after managers who fit that profile. I don't know whether it is true or not, but they've seemed to favour managers with a possession-attacking focus, Stam, Gomes, Paunovic and Bowen turned out to play that way as well, Clement was probably the exception.

I think the choice of Paunovic told us a lot really, a manager with a focus on possession-attacking football as well as blooding through youth players. Our next manager, whoever that may be after this season, should probably follow a similar philosophy unless the board really do decide to start all over again this summer.

You'd also think because of this, the club would sign players who fit a particular model. In some respects, in seems a squad was built to play with 2 up top, due to the signings of McNulty, Baldock, Joao and Puscas. You'd probably think something like 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 diamond would be the preferred choice. That should be filtered from the top down and that's what you'd be thinking they'd have built the playing side of the club around.

That thought process hasn't quite translated on the pitch though.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 27 Jan 2022 14:52

Millsy needs to get to 100 pages please

I've not had a 100 pager since Oscar Pistorius went to the toilet that night

(I was in the airport at 4 am when the story broke, so couldn't miss the opportunity)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jan 2022 16:27

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Recently is stretching things to the limits for Pauno. Bar a 6 game purple patch we've been pretty poor results wide all the way back to March 21. Nigh on a year.

That's pretty fair then it some respects, I more mentioned now because the last 2-3 months have been particularly bad.

I think there is some understanding that a lot of our bad form, even dating back to last year has been down to a lack of squad depth and unavailable players.

It doesn't mean to say we shouldn't have done better, but I don't think it reflects as badly on Pauno's managerial ability as what it otherwise would do under more "normal" circumstances.

Think a lot of last season was down to Joao going from on fire to barely able to kick a ball despite being fit.

Yes, thats player. But where's the management handling of his confidence, or making a change.

And we've talked a lot about how this many injuries can't just be luck. Which again comes back to management.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jan 2022 16:42

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Think a lot of last season was down to Joao going from on fire to barely able to kick a ball despite being fit.

Yes, thats player. But where's the management handling of his confidence, or making a change.

And we've talked a lot about how this many injuries can't just be luck. Which again comes back to management.

And Joao being on fire is down to Pauno's tactics and conversations with Joao, which he has himself highlighted in an interview with The Coaches Voice about his time at Reading as well. So it does work both ways.

It might not just be luck, but some of it might be. Some might come down to training methods, otherwise might not. We don't know the diagnosis and we can't assume that just because someone has suffered a muscle strain, it comes down to inept training methods from the manager either, for example. I don't doubt some will, but I also don't doubt some don't. Whilst contributing to the crisis isn't good, it doesn't all fall on the managers methods, but he is still left to attempt to manage that at the end of the day.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jan 2022 16:55

There is no way having an average of about 7 players out at a time across a season and up to 14 for periods is bad luck.

You can also see it in the way half the team is dead on their feet from about 70 minutes too.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jan 2022 17:02

Snowflake Royal There is no way having an average of about 7 players out at a time across a season and up to 14 for periods is bad luck.

You can also see it in the way half the team is dead on their feet from about 70 minutes too.

Which isn't what I said but ok. I'll repeat, some of it might not be, however others also might be.

If, for example, we have 3 players missing due to impact injuries from the game previous and we then have to continue to play 3 players who are at high risk of muscle strains where we would have otherwise could have rotated them, would you put that down to the manager, bad luck or potentially both?

It's a hypothetical situation by the way.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 27 Jan 2022 18:03

Snowflake Royal And yet the list of strikers who had that ability who have failed here is quite long.
Vydra
Grabban
Sharpe
Yakubu
Sa
Appiah (pace)

and judging that McNulty definitely couldn't step up based on 15 bit part appearances seems a little much.

Puscas doesn't really have what you describe and neither did Church. Both have had decent seasons with us at some point.

You're surely having a laugh mentioning Yakubu! He practically had his pension by then.
Grabban came to us on the back of a season and a half of barely playing at all, let alone scoring - not surprising he never really got going in a half-season loan.
Sa did alright for us, McDermott either didn't like him or there was something else going on behind the scenes, because he didn't really feature after that. Note he's only had one decent season since he left us
Appiah is at best a League One striker, he did no worse for us than he did for any other Championship team he played with.

Sharpe was in the doldrums in his career when he came to us, the following two seasons at different clubs he was not better. He needed the drop-down to League 1 to rediscover himself.

And Vydra is a very streaky inconsistent player, he's had seasons just as bad in terms of goals scored, elsewhere.

If you're saying - we're bad at persuading decent strikers to come and play for us, that's one thing. But I don't think you can say the strikers we have had play significantly worse for us than they do for anybody else. Of the above, the only one I think it applies to is Grabban.

Puscas and Vydra really worked their socks off when they weren't scoring, despite the system not suiting their strengths. McNulty just isn't that kind of player.
I think, btw, if Vydra had been ours rather than a loan player, he'd still have been kept and played the following season because of what he offered elsewhere on the pitch, same as Puscas is now.
If OTOH you're a poacher that isn't poaching, and you don't do anything else you're not going to get the same chances

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 27 Jan 2022 18:13

He poached an early dip in the bath last night after being hooked after 54 minutes. Dundee United we’re losing 1-0 at home to Ross County, but his replacement, Nicky Clark came off the bench to score 2 to win the game, so all’s well that ends well.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Jan 2022 22:24

He actually reminds me a lot of Jason Roberts. A white version, a bit shorter, fatter and younger maybe, different sort of striker I guess. Not as good in terms of scoring maybe and perhaps a different sort of player. Well maybe he doesn't actually, but you know what I mean.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 28 Jan 2022 06:07

Millsy He actually reminds me a lot of Jason Roberts. A white version, a bit shorter, fatter and younger maybe, different sort of striker I guess. Not as good in terms of scoring maybe and perhaps a different sort of player. Well maybe he doesn't actually, but you know what I mean.

Er, no :lol:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Jan 2022 12:47

YorkshireRoyal99

Clement came in that second season with the intention of using two strikers but his hand was forced to a 4-3-3 because of how easily our midfield was being bypassed. Our midfield options were Kelly (lightweight), Swift and Bacuna (both fairly lightweight) or Meyler (terrible). Ezatolahi was injured after three games

At that point, McNulty and to a lesser extent Baldock’s careers were over before they’d already begun here. Baldock slotted in as a LW on occasions where he was OK but it wasn’t a long term fix