McNulty

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: McNulty

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Jan 2022 18:06

leon Yeah not sure where all this hates coming from.
yeah, he might’ve been “shit” but had very little chance to prove otherwise.

A strike rate better than a goal in every other game for Coventry is why we signed him.
Maybe the (then) step-up was too much for him?….but we never really found out…..imho.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jan 2022 18:30

AthleticoSpizz

A strike rate better than a goal in every other game for Coventry is why we signed him.
Maybe the (then) step-up was too much for him?….but we never really found out…..imho.

Cov were in League Two then weren’t they? It’s a big step up. Not many make that kind of a jump successfully, especially a relatively seasoned player, Le Fondre being about the only successful example that springs to mind.

The whole “never really given a chance” doesn’t necessarily matter. I’ve never been given a chance because I’m shit. The coaching staff would have seen him day in day out.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2022 18:48

CountryRoyal
AthleticoSpizz

Cov were in League Two then weren’t they? It’s a big step up. Not many make that kind of a jump successfully, especially a relatively seasoned player, Le Fondre being about the only successful example that springs to mind.

The whole “never really given a chance” doesn’t necessarily matter. I’ve never been given a chance because I’m shit. The coaching staff would have seen him day in day out.

Didn’t look that bad when he first played. Looked like a player struggling with the step up, but who with time might adapt.

Then he missed a penalty, got dropped like lead balloon, shipped out and then about two years later given a couple of preseason matches on the wing before being shipped out again.

If he was that shit that we could see it clearly enough in training to decide he wasn't worth more than a couple of goes in the first team, what on Earth does it say about our scouting of him... did someone just google L2 topscorers?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Jan 2022 19:10

CountryRoyal
AthleticoSpizz

half way CR, half way.

Are you “shit” at your job? Is that why you’re not being given a chance to move forward? Certainly not seen you on a football pitch being “shit” tbf
I”ve got no real botherance about MM’s predicament, just recognising that we never really saw a lot of him….a signing made in good faith and with great potential to progress (aka Cork City Doyle and Long who weren’t ‘instant successes’ either)…as you allude to….he obviously failed us on the training pitch….I wanted to see more, but never would….give you that one.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 26 Jan 2022 19:12

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
AthleticoSpizz yeah, he might’ve been “shit” but had very little chance to prove otherwise.

Didn’t look that bad when he first played. Looked like a player struggling with the step up, but who with time might adapt.

Then he missed a penalty, got dropped like lead balloon, shipped out and then about two years later given a couple of preseason matches on the wing before being shipped out again.

If he was that shit that we could see it clearly enough in training to decide he wasn't worth more than a couple of goes in the first team, what on Earth does it say about our scouting of him... did someone just google L2 topscorers?

We signed him off a half season purple patch in league two and Cov fans I know admit they mugged us similar to us with Blackman to Derby. I saw pretty much all his action on the pitch and aside from 30 mins at West Brom he looked an overweight pub player. Why have no one signed him permanently even in Scotland. Next season he'll be at somewhere like Stirling Albion on £200pw so in his words probably be better off unemployed.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 26 Jan 2022 19:18

Victim blah blah, terrible experience blah blah,..

Whilst being paid huge sums to do nothing.

He was furloughed before being furloughed was a thing.

He wasn’t good enough for the Championship; and neither was Baldock.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Jan 2022 19:21

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal

We signed him off a half season purple patch in league two and Cov fans I know admit they mugged us similar to us with Blackman to Derby. I saw pretty much all his action on the pitch and aside from 30 mins at West Brom he looked an overweight pub player. Why have no one signed him permanently even in Scotland. Next season he'll be at somewhere like Stirling Albion on £200pw so in his words probably be better off unemployed.
funny….seem to remember Cov fans very disappointed that he’d left and had only signed for ‘Reading’

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 26 Jan 2022 19:22

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal

+1

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Jan 2022 19:23

The Green Programme Victim blah blah, terrible experience blah blah,..

Whilst being paid huge sums to do nothing.

He was furloughed before being furloughed was a thing.

He wasn’t good enough for the Championship; and neither was Baldock.
guffaw guffaw…nor are a lot of our current squad…evidently

:lol: :lol: :lol: Etc

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2022 19:30

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal

I saw some of his performances at least, and I don't agree with your assessment.

I think the answer to your question about signing him is because most Scottish sides don't have a pot to piss in, and who was going to match the wage we'd stupidly given him.

I'm also not sure how anyone without a huge bias can call 28 goals in 52 appearances a half season purple patch. Especially when the bulk of about 24 were scored across about 35 games. I mean, yes you could accuse him of a slow start with 4 in 17, but really? 13 in 42 for Pompey wasn't too shabby at 23 either. Or 13 in 43 with Sheff U at 22 in L1
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 26 Jan 2022 19:39, edited 2 times in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Jan 2022 19:34

I have a Coventry friend who was gutted we took him thought he was excellent and would do well for us

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 26 Jan 2022 19:58

I don’t believe we gave him a fair chance tbh. He looked a stand out player for Coventry in league 2 and he always looked like he had the talent to step up. Strikers are all about confidence and he was never given a decent run of games for us.

It’s not his fault if he was offered a good 4 year contract, which helped to secure his future. Not sure why none of the managers have rated him but none of them have been much good either so maybe it was easier to make him a scapegoat.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 26 Jan 2022 20:10

blythspartan I don’t believe we gave him a fair chance tbh. He looked a stand out player for Coventry in league 2 and he always looked like he had the talent to step up. Strikers are all about confidence and he was never given a decent run of games for us.

It’s not his fault if he was offered a good 4 year contract, which helped to secure his future. Not sure why none of the managers have rated him but none of them have been much good either so maybe it was easier to make him a scapegoat.

He did not get a decent run in the side unlike Puscas.
Mcnulty 15 games one goal
Puskás (this season) 24 games one goal.
Like Puskás he needed a partner, He's not the first striker to come here and look rubbish, some of the best in the championship have failed here.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Jan 2022 20:21

Probbaly bang out of turn here, but, how many of those 15 games did he actually start…less than 5?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jan 2022 01:54

Surprised he got double figures

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 27 Jan 2022 07:59

72 bus
blythspartan I don’t believe we gave him a fair chance tbh. He looked a stand out player for Coventry in league 2 and he always looked like he had the talent to step up. Strikers are all about confidence and he was never given a decent run of games for us.

Like Puskás he needed a partner, He's not the first striker to come here and look rubbish, some of the best in the championship have failed here.

‘Not his fault he was offered a four-year contract’ - agreed, he must have thought it was Christmas and birthday rolled into one!

He didn’t get his chance because he wasn’t good enough.

With strikers it’s about the following:

1 - their ability to do a couple of things so brilliantly well that despite every defender knowing what they are going to do, they still put defenders on their arse, or

2 - They adapt and bring different things to their game - the clever strikers; the ones without blistering pace or power or other physical advantage; but always find space and time/right place-right time…

…..And finish.

The world class strikers have both.

Most Premier League strikers have both.

Most Championship strikers can do one or the other or both but they are inconsistent.

The lower the level the greater the inconsistency and the slower the pace in which things are done (movement, first two yards, first touch, finishing ratio etc).

McNulty is not blessed with pace or any of the physical advantages.

And he simply was not clever enough, often enough for the Championship.

As a striker, despite these disadvantages, you might succeed with great players around you, if you have the ability to finish ruthlessly.

He definitely could not finish ruthlessly at Championship level.

If you think of the strikers that have done us proud; they have had one or more of these advantages. (Carroll is a great example of being clever and having the physical attributes and the ability to finish)

Strikers have to be predators.

McNulty is not a predator in that sense.

He is a League 2 striker.

That is not his fault.

We should never have bought him and we should never have bought Baldock and others too.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jan 2022 08:28

And yet the list of strikers who had that ability who have failed here is quite long.
Vydra
Grabban
Sharpe
Yakubu
Sa
Appiah (pace)

and judging that McNulty definitely couldn't step up based on 15 bit part appearances seems a little much.

Puscas doesn't really have what you describe and neither did Church. Both have had decent seasons with us at some point.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 27 Jan 2022 08:30, edited 1 time in total.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 27 Jan 2022 08:29

The Green Programme
72 bus

‘Not his fault he was offered a four-year contract’ - agreed, he must have thought it was Christmas and birthday rolled into one!

1 - their ability to do a couple of things so brilliantly well that despite every defender knowing what they are going to do, they still put defenders on their arse, or

2 - They adapt and bring different things to their game - the clever strikers; the ones without blistering pace or power or other physical advantage; but always find space and time/right place-right time…

…..And finish.

Most Championship strikers can do one or the other or both but they are inconsistent.

The lower the level the greater the inconsistency and the slower the pace in which things are done (movement, first two yards, first touch, finishing ratio etc).

As a striker, despite these disadvantages, you might succeed with great players around you, if you have the ability to finish ruthlessly.

If you think of the strikers that have done us proud; they have had one or more of these advantages. (Carroll is a great example of being clever and having the physical attributes and the ability to finish)

That is not his fault.

We should never have bought him and we should never have bought Baldock and others too.

Explain Puscas’ starts then

Other than because he cost us nine McNulties in transfer fees alone (or 1 McNulty and five years of 30k per week wages upfront)

So he is literally costing the club far more than McNulty in his lost value as well as wages.
Last edited by Uke on 27 Jan 2022 08:33, edited 3 times in total.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 27 Jan 2022 08:30

Just sour grapes from a disgruntled employee. Given his 2 cents to make a story more column width than it actually deserves.
I got reeled in by his trolling and moving on.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 27 Jan 2022 08:41

Uke
The Green Programme
72 bus

…..And finish.

That is not his fault.

Explain Puscas’ starts then

Other than because he cost us nine McNulties in transfer fees alone

Puskas is better; physically stronger, quicker, fitter, and can finish…. Sometimes.

He is the classic; can do it but totally inconsistent. If he were consistent, he would have done the business for us and would be on his way to a Premier League right now.

He is not 9 x better; but fees don’t work on that ratio of straight multiplication, clearly.

I don’t put him in the Baldock, McNulty category because I don’t believe either of these had what it takes when they signed for us. Neither were good enough for us to sign.

We have seen some great moments from Puskas; but nowhere near often enough and sadly, it has not worked out.

But he does have the ability.