Next Reading Manager

969 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Reading Manager

by andrew1957 » 04 May 2022 20:37

I have no strong feelings about Ince but he has done an ok job. My worry is that the owners track record suggests we will dump Ince, then not appoint anyone until August, appoint some unknown from the Moroccan premier league who will then be allowed to make a few last minute panic buys.

Surely much better to give Ince the job and then he will have the whole summer to find some cheap players to fill the gaps in the squad.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 May 2022 21:14

Not bothered either away about Ince. He does seem a bit thin skinned though and I do fear for him next season if things go badly because he won’t take criticism very easily.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 May 2022 21:51

The cultural clash between Dai and Ince would make for a volcanic relationship. Not sure that Dai is someone to take instructions.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2022 23:39

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue
'Relatively' being the operative word. When compared to some of the other misery we've had to endure (which wasn't always entirely down to the guy in post at the time).

And that 'relative success' came at a price - some of the most boring, unexciting, negative football I've had to endure in return for relatively (compared to Stam's record) few points.

The football was less gormless than Gomes, less clueless than Clement and less porous than Pauno beyond about Xmas 2020.

Or in other words, better.

Don't agree...the football from day one was turgid, I'll give you Clement maybe.

And when we were safe he couldn't motivate the players who downed tools and it wasn't 2 games like Ince it was at least half a dozen

Been amazing at Wimbledon too...not even a new manager bounce of one game....

Yeah the season ended badly, but then Ince didn't get safe with more than 2 games to go and didn’t have a couple months off because of Covid mid season.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 May 2022 08:46

Snowflake Royal
Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal The football was less gormless than Gomes, less clueless than Clement and less porous than Pauno beyond about Xmas 2020.

Don't agree...the football from day one was turgid, I'll give you Clement maybe.

And when we were safe he couldn't motivate the players who downed tools and it wasn't 2 games like Ince it was at least half a dozen

Yeah the season ended badly, but then Ince didn't get safe with more than 2 games to go and didn’t have a couple months off because of Covid mid season.

Bowen did come in a fair few months earlier than what Ince did though. Was it before 10 games were even played when Bowen came in? Ince came in after we played more than 30? At a guess.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2022 09:52

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
Mid Sussex Royal

Bowen did come in a fair few months earlier than what Ince did though. Was it before 10 games were even played when Bowen came in? Ince came in after we played more than 30? At a guess.

About 10 or 11 and I think q little over 30
Agreed that it's a pretty rubbish comparison

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 May 2022 11:58

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue
'Relatively' being the operative word. When compared to some of the other misery we've had to endure (which wasn't always entirely down to the guy in post at the time).

And that 'relative success' came at a price - some of the most boring, unexciting, negative football I've had to endure in return for relatively (compared to Stam's record) few points.

The football was less gormless than Gomes, less clueless than Clement and less porous than Pauno beyond about Xmas 2020.

The same Wimbledon who were winless in 21 games before he arrived? Not entirely surprising he didn’t get a manager bounce!

Agreed the football was pretty dire the last few months but then these players do have history of downing tools when the tough gets going

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 May 2022 12:20

URZZZZ
Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal The football was less gormless than Gomes, less clueless than Clement and less porous than Pauno beyond about Xmas 2020.

The same Wimbledon who were winless in 21 games before he arrived? Not entirely surprising he didn’t get a manager bounce!

Agreed the football was pretty dire the last few months but then these players do have history of downing tools when the tough gets going

This gets mentioned a fair bit and yet we seem to survive every season? I know we fell away last season which may be an argument in favour of "downing tools", but I think that goes further than players just downing tools personally anyway.

Under Gomes, the players showed the fight, under Bowen they did and under Ince now we have in some pretty dire moments. Yes, it was all short-lived but it was always enough.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 May 2022 12:32

YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ
Mid Sussex Royal

This gets mentioned a fair bit and yet we seem to survive every season? I know we fell away last season which may be an argument in favour of "downing tools", but I think that goes further than players just downing tools personally anyway.

Under Gomes, the players showed the fight, under Bowen they did and under Ince now we have in some pretty dire moments. Yes, it was all short-lived but it was always enough.

Yes, the players seem to down tools at certain points in the season. I didn’t mention anything about survival

1 win in 18 under Stam
1 win in 15 the season after
2020 big loss of form after the Fulham win
Last season’s collapse
Losing 8 in a row this season

Perhaps you’re right and it’s too easy to label it as players “downing tools” but think it’s more than just a case of momentum as there’s been some awful runs in there. Remember a certain Liam Kelly saying the squad always knew they were “too good to go down”. Says enough

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2022 12:53

URZZZZ
YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ

Yes, the players seem to down tools at certain points in the season. I didn’t mention anything about survival

1 win in 18 under Stam
Last season’s collapse

Perhaps you’re right and it’s too easy to label it as players “downing tools” but think it’s more than just a case of momentum as there’s been some awful runs in there. Remember a certain Liam Kelly saying the squad always knew they were “too good to go down”. Says enough

Watching over the last few seasons, the team certainly give off the appearance of an attitude that if they just keep passing tidily in midfield and defence sooner or later the scoreboard will just tick over with a goal and they'll get a W without actually doing anything to make it happen.

That's fine when the oppo make a mistake or someone pulls off a bit of magic, but all too often it achieves nothing and it's us who are more likely to drop a clanger.

I'd estimate that we concede an unforced loss of possession in our own half or with few people back sparking a potential goal scoring turnover about 3 times a match on average

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 May 2022 14:58

URZZZZ
YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ

1 win in 18 under Stam
Last season’s collapse

For the record, I do agree with the underlying point, there does seem to an attitude issue or a certain arrogance about the squad at certain times but actually I think those awful runs of form there coupled with the fact we survived in each of those seasons (when we were at the bottom) shows that there is some character and fight in the squad.

I do agree, I do think there is more than it just being a case of negative momentum, but I do also think it's a bit too much to say the squad lacks character, because they have proven that they can buck the trend and get the results required, last season not withstanding.

There's probably a range of factors though for all of this, some more apparent than others.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 05 May 2022 16:43

INCE PRESSER:
- Has had 'very positive' chat with Mr Dai but decision won't be made until next week.
- Six/seven current players he wants to offer deals to
- Liam Moore is back at the club with the medical department- 22/23: "he's a good player we'll see what happens"

https://mobile.twitter.com/james_e1871/ ... 6452827143

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 May 2022 20:42

morganb INCE PRESSER:
- Has had 'very positive' chat with Mr Dai but decision won't be made until next week.
- Liam Moore is back at the club with the medical department- 22/23: "he's a good player we'll see what happens"

So who are the 6 or 7 ?
I actually think it’s fairly obvious as long as you assume he’s talking current established players.....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 May 2022 12:31

Nameless
morganb INCE PRESSER:

So who are the 6 or 7 ?
I actually think it’s fairly obvious as long as you assume he’s talking current established players.....

Ohhh a guessing game....

Rinomhota
Laurent
Holmes
Tom Ince
Hoilett
Morrison
Azeez

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 May 2022 12:43

Yiadom surely

I’d be surprised if he wanted Morro and Dann on playing contracts

Laurent, Holmes, Rino, Yiadom, Azeez, Hoilett I reckon

Would see T ince as a signing. T Thomas possibly a 7th

Assume he sees all the youth separately - likes of Dorsett and Clarke

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 May 2022 12:50

Hound Yiadom surely

Dann extended already though didn’t he ?

I’d think 6 would be definite

Yiadom
Holmes
Azeez
Rino
Laurent
Hoilett

Morrison I’d question unless there is a coaching option but I have no idea what his coaching credentials are. Extending Dann’s Deal looks an error as I think we need one or the other, not both.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 May 2022 12:54

Yes sorry meant Morro AND Dann (ie both) signing up

Guess the CBs also depend on the Moore situation. We already have 3 under contract currently

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 May 2022 12:54

Nameless
Hound Yiadom surely

Yiadom
Holmes
Azeez
Rino
Laurent
Hoilett

Morrison I’d question unless there is a coaching option but I have no idea what his coaching credentials are. Extending Dann’s Deal looks an error as I think we need one or the other, not both.

Would be very happy if we could get those 6 back.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 06 May 2022 12:56

Hendo
Nameless
Hound Yiadom surely

Yiadom
Holmes
Azeez
Rino
Laurent
Hoilett

Would be very happy if we could get those 6 back.

Not sure about Hoilett. If there is a younger option out there of similar ability I would much rather go down that route. Not saying he is awful by any means, would rather just look to the future.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 May 2022 13:08

If you got those back we could line up something like

Southwood
Yiadom Dann Holmes McIntyre
Rino Laurent
Meite Ejaria Hoilett
Joao

Jokull, Tetek, Moore, Clarke, Ehib

Without making another signing. Which doesn’t look miles off when you add some freebies into the mix. Probably about where we want to get to in the next month or so

969 posts