Ince out!

1204 posts
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Ince out!

by paultheroyal » 07 Apr 2022 13:05

genome Since Peterborough away, we've won 4, drawn 2, lost 3.

1.5 PPG. If Ince continues or betters that over the last 6 games I think he's earned a chance.

Good stats that.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Apr 2022 13:44

Really useful debate to be having because Dai has been inundated with applications from top-class proven managers, all desperate to come to us and get us promoted despite all restrictions next season.

Do we really want to pass up the offer of one of these gems taking us up to the PL next season?

Really need to think hard about this guys.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 07 Apr 2022 13:50

YorkshireRoyal99 He's done well thus far, however the job isn't done yet. Certainly think he's in with a shout of being the manager full time, I just don't think interim managers that earn a permanent position ever end up being wholly successful really. Sometimes it's not always unsuccessful, but it seems to be more bad than good. Ironically, in the PL era, the 3rd best manager in the entire league ever is "No manager", meaning interims or a club without a permanent manager in charge.

I'll still stick with my thoughts of we should shake hands at the end of the season and say job well done should we get over the line, which is looking more and more likely. But I can completely understand the argument towards giving him the job where (at the moment) he has probably earned more opportunity in the role and it may give us more stability as well.

I can think of one. His first name was Brian. No. not Clough.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Apr 2022 14:10

The Royal Forester
YorkshireRoyal99 He's done well thus far, however the job isn't done yet. Certainly think he's in with a shout of being the manager full time, I just don't think interim managers that earn a permanent position ever end up being wholly successful really. Sometimes it's not always unsuccessful, but it seems to be more bad than good. Ironically, in the PL era, the 3rd best manager in the entire league ever is "No manager", meaning interims or a club without a permanent manager in charge.

I'll still stick with my thoughts of we should shake hands at the end of the season and say job well done should we get over the line, which is looking more and more likely. But I can completely understand the argument towards giving him the job where (at the moment) he has probably earned more opportunity in the role and it may give us more stability as well.

Well yeah that's actually a pretty big argument against the claim really, fair play! :lol:

I was more talking in general terms though. Having said that, Pardew wasn't too bad either. Maybe ourselves, as a club, are more against the grain. But then I suppose you look at other interims like Scott Marshall, Martin Kuhl and McDermott's second spell in charge and it begins to even out some more.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 07 Apr 2022 14:34

YorkshireRoyal99
The Royal Forester

Well yeah that's actually a pretty big argument against the claim really, fair play! :lol:

I was more talking in general terms though. Having said that, Pardew wasn't too bad either. Maybe ourselves, as a club, are more against the grain. But then I suppose you look at other interims like Scott Marshall, Martin Kuhl and McDermott's second spell in charge and it begins to even out some more.

The fact that only one name readily sprang to my mind, does in fact support your original thoughts, though.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Apr 2022 14:53

The Royal Forester
YorkshireRoyal99
The Royal Forester I can think of one. His first name was Brian. No. not Clough.

The fact that only one name readily sprang to my mind, does in fact support your original thoughts, though.

I guess the biggest difference here, from a Reading PoV at least, is that normally an interim/caretaker is just someone internally who can step up for a bit. With Ince, we've gone out and approached him to take over for the interim. Now he's done well, he's not "tainted" in the sense he's been at the club longer term and been part of the issues.

So cleaning house a bit and then being able to rebuild as he wants could be positive esp as he may have been able to persuade some players to stay - whereas any new manager will need to hit the ground running in getting any new deals signed and likely having to make 10 or 15 new signings, ideally by early July to have a decent size squad to prepare for opening weekend at the end of July.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Apr 2022 15:07

Stranded
The Royal Forester
YorkshireRoyal99

I guess the biggest difference here, from a Reading PoV at least, is that normally an interim/caretaker is just someone internally who can step up for a bit. With Ince, we've gone out and approached him to take over for the interim. Now he's done well, he's not "tainted" in the sense he's been at the club longer term and been part of the issues.

So cleaning house a bit and then being able to rebuild as he wants could be positive esp as he may have been able to persuade some players to stay - whereas any new manager will need to hit the ground running in getting any new deals signed and likely having to make 10 or 15 new signings, ideally by early July to have a decent size squad to prepare for opening weekend at the end of July.

You can only assume that discussions with candidates would be happening at this stage and during the off-season to discuss who they'd want to stay and if they could keep players on board. I don't doubt the club are also having discussions with our current players' agents around signing new contracts to see if that is a possibility, it definitely won't just be a decision that happens on the day, you'd expect discussions would be ongoing somewhat now as interest will be gathering from other clubs as well.

It depends what feedback the agents/players give to the club really. For example, Tom Holmes may have no interest in signing a new deal because his agent has got him a deal at Nottingham Forest where he is earning £18k a week, something we can't match. So no matter whether we have Ince or not, he is out of the question. If the feedback from agents/players is that many players enjoy working under Ince and would sign a contract, within reason, if he was to stay and he was part of the decision, then that would be something in his favour. If the players don't really have an opinion on Ince, then it hangs in the balance.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Apr 2022 17:33

Brian McDermott

/end

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Apr 2022 08:57

Snowflake Royal

Brian McDermott

/end

This was already established above.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 08 Apr 2022 09:28

I can't believe noone has mentioned McDermott yet.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 08 Apr 2022 09:45

NathStPaul
paultheroyal Ince has done a fantastic job.

He hasn't. He just had a very low bar set for him by the previous manager, it would have been hard to have done worse. We have a squad who based on ability alone should be at least midtable so lets not get over excited when it comes to Ince. He has done the minimum that was asked of him which is to keep us up.

100pc

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 08 Apr 2022 09:48

How did Pauno do in his first handful of games?

Weymouth Royal

by Weymouth Royal » 08 Apr 2022 09:57

I like Ince's attitude, and the players clearly listen to him. The dilemma is that next season most of this squad will be gone, many of the replacements will likely be kids coming in from the academy, free transfers and loans. The job next season will be far harder than this seasons. For me, in that situation, I'd rather Brian McDermott had the job. But it'll be a hell of a task for whom ever comes in.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Apr 2022 10:17

Weymouth Royal I like Ince's attitude, and the players clearly listen to him. The dilemma is that next season most of this squad will be gone, many of the replacements will likely be kids coming in from the academy, free transfers and loans. The job next season will be far harder than this seasons. For me, in that situation, I'd rather Brian McDermott had the job. But it'll be a hell of a task for whom ever comes in.

Not necessarily, as discussed on here (or another thread), these players may be more willing to sign a new deal with the club if we stay in the league and Ince is in charge. Players always want to be secure at a club and I'd anticipate that many like Rino, Holmes, Hoilett etc may be likely to sign new deals for a certain length of time, especially if they are settled at the club and that the club is in the division they want to play in.

We may be restricted as to what we can offer players, but we can still offer most players a more than competitive wage on average for next season as it is and that would probably be an improvement on some of their current deals anyway. The biggest challenge for me in the summer is moving on the top earners like Moore, without taking too much of a hit ourselves. Getting in free transfers and loans shouldn't be too much of a problem, providing we get the players in who can fit a certain system and we don't flood ourselves with a load of wingers and we can end up with a balanced squad.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 09 Apr 2022 17:39

Some on here we’re queuing up to offer Ince a long term deal just days ago, let’s hope we can cling on by hoping those above keep losing and a fresh start in summer.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Apr 2022 18:11

Difficult to say as a one off he did too much wrong today. Team played poorly second half

Obvs if it becomes a regular thing…

Blackbag

by Blackbag » 09 Apr 2022 18:43

Give him the job if we’d won today he’d be manager of the month no question

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 09 Apr 2022 21:56

Blackbag Give him the job if we’d won today he’d be manager of the month no question

Wrexham won again today, already a proven winner Parky would jump at the chance.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 09 Apr 2022 21:58

SouthDownsRoyal
NathStPaul
paultheroyal Ince has done a fantastic job.

He hasn't. He just had a very low bar set for him by the previous manager, it would have been hard to have done worse. We have a squad who based on ability alone should be at least midtable so lets not get over excited when it comes to Ince. He has done the minimum that was asked of him which is to keep us up.

100pc

Correct.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Apr 2022 22:12

karbota
Blackbag Give him the job if we’d won today he’d be manager of the month no question

Wrexham won again today, already a proven winner Parky would jump at the chance.
just about scabbed a win against the 19th placed team in the ‘Non-League’ with a 95th minute penalty.

No thanx, damaged goods.

I know you like ‘winding us up’

….but you have actually studied his managerial trajectories, haven’t you?

1204 posts