Ince out!

1204 posts
elrey

Re: Ince out!

by elrey » 10 Nov 2022 00:06

Royal_jimmy
windermereROYAL
elrey I can't see things picking up.

At EVERY CLUB, except his first spell at MK Dons he reaches a point where he can no longer win matches. Then he gets fired. He's NEVER made it past one year at any club.

He's just that kind of guy who can put a bit of ummph up the bums of players for a short time, and then he loses it because it's not sustainable. Might as well get rid of him now, give the next guy some time over the World Cup to sort things out.

And changing managers eery year has done us the world of good in recent times

Would help if Dai would stop making questionnable management appointments in the first place

Unfortunately I doubt that is going to change. You could hope that Bowen would get to pick the next manager, but.....

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 10 Nov 2022 00:07

karbota
AthleticoSpizz I will reply and quote whoever I want to, thank you very much Ian

That’s how it works here isn’t it?…..you the pastmaster.

Be careful the Lefties don't like free speech they will try to cancel you.

BTW Congratulations Parky is top of the league.

Top of non-league? Taking a Wrexham team who historically have been playing us every year back to league 2 with an enormous budget.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 10 Nov 2022 07:48

Royal_jimmy
karbota
AthleticoSpizz I will reply and quote whoever I want to, thank you very much Ian

That’s how it works here isn’t it?…..you the pastmaster.

Be careful the Lefties don't like free speech they will try to cancel you.

BTW Congratulations Parky is top of the league.

Top of non-league? Taking a Wrexham team who historically have been playing us every year back to league 2 with an enormous budget.

It is the 3rd division in all but the name they are all professional footballers (and British). Parky has still got it and the best is yet to come, hopefully with us.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 10 Nov 2022 07:55

windermereROYAL Does anyone think it might not actually be the manager? from Stam (2) we`ve been shite with Clement, Gomes, Bowen, Paunovic and now Ince in charge.
We`ve ditched the possession based going nowhere to a more direct style, seems to me we`ve tried everything what more can they do?

That is a good point too many second-rate foreign players who don't give a shite about the club, Parky has built a successful team with British players only, gotta be given the chance.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 10 Nov 2022 12:28

Snowflake Royal
Coppells Lost Coat Said this previously. If we were actually given the stonewall pen against Burnley this conversation would not be happening.
Dead certs for relegation in July + many people / pundits / fans saying we are over achieving as a whole.........sure sack the manager.
Get a grip! yeah the football is awful recently but you'll find it coincides with Hutchinson getting injured. Plus we have had a fairly stinking runs of games against some very capable teams.
Preston and WBA games are the ones I am more annoyed about than last night.

I'm not sure 8 points from 9 is a whole lot better than 5 tbh. One extra win really doesn’t change a lot it just slows the collapse trend.

Ifs buts and maybes... its the scores on the board the matter.

Its the league position that matters most. After 20 games we sit 13th - I would have bitten your hand off if offered at start of season. The extra win would have us 10th.
If we are losing against the teams below us I would be wetting the bed a bit more but most of the teams we lost against will be in and around playoff or autos in May.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Nov 2022 12:32

Coppells Lost Coat
Snowflake Royal
Coppells Lost Coat Said this previously. If we were actually given the stonewall pen against Burnley this conversation would not be happening.
Dead certs for relegation in July + many people / pundits / fans saying we are over achieving as a whole.........sure sack the manager.
Get a grip! yeah the football is awful recently but you'll find it coincides with Hutchinson getting injured. Plus we have had a fairly stinking runs of games against some very capable teams.
Preston and WBA games are the ones I am more annoyed about than last night.

I'm not sure 8 points from 9 is a whole lot better than 5 tbh. One extra win really doesn’t change a lot it just slows the collapse trend.

Ifs buts and maybes... its the scores on the board the matter.

Its the league position that matters most. After 20 games we sit 13th - I would have bitten your hand off if offered at start of season. The extra win would have us 10th.
If we are losing against the teams below us I would be wetting the bed a bit more but most of the teams we lost against will be in and around playoff or autos in May.

It does, but only at the end of the season, and when you drop ~11 positions in 10 games and are in relegation form, there's no point consoling yourself you're 13th in November.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 10 Nov 2022 13:36

Snowflake Royal It does, but only at the end of the season, and when you drop ~11 positions in 10 games and are in relegation form, there's no point consoling yourself you're 13th in November.

No point shitting the bed in November either. We are not chasing promotion or the play offs. We should not be worrying about relegation with 26 games of the season left. I am not blind to the results or the performances but I believe Ince can get better results out of this team. Think its fair to give him at least a further 5 games after the WC - those are tough fixtures as well. If results dont improve then I would sway my view.

FWIW i think every team from 12th should be concerned with the bottom 3 right now as it is seems unusually tight.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Nov 2022 13:37

Coppells Lost Coat
Snowflake Royal It does, but only at the end of the season, and when you drop ~11 positions in 10 games and are in relegation form, there's no point consoling yourself you're 13th in November.

No point shitting the bed in November either. We are not chasing promotion or the play offs. We should not be worrying about relegation with 26 games of the season left. I am not blind to the results or the performances but I believe Ince can get better results out of this team. Think its fair to give him at least a further 5 games after the WC - those are tough fixtures as well. If results dont improve then I would sway my view.

FWIW i think every team from 12th should be concerned with the bottom 3 right now as it is seems unusually tight.

I'd probably up that to 9th to include Luton.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Nov 2022 14:21

Coppells Lost Coat

I see where you're coming from and arguably it's almost ridiculous that we're even thinking of Ince Out. Poor chap dealt a very bad hand and has done far better than anyone ever expected we could. Hutch out, results drop.

HOWEVER I think you're wrong. I get where it's coming from in that it's almost a carbon copy of the Pauno situation and I'm about to say the same thing I said then when I felt like Cassandra. I was one of I think 3 or 4 on here who were anti-Pauno despite us finishing 7th, my argument being the form since the magic opening spell was relegation form: we went from 7 points clear of 2nd place to 7pts below a playoff spot. He just carried on being shit the next season and the rest is history. It's not about the league position it's about how that's achieved and what the trend is. Had Pauno had a bad start but then picked up more and more results as he got to know the team and elevated us up to 7th in a final push then hell yeah he'd be a hero and he'd have probably taken us up the next season. But he didn't - it was 7 great games and then a season of relagation form which if anythign probably worseneed.

Likewise with Ince - if we look at the current league standings we may be happy, but again it's about the way it's achieved. After Pauno situation we are more wary of magic spells and the way they mask the ongoing poor form.

I really fail to see how with this squad we're not scoring for fun. Only FIVE teams have scored less than we have. And only TWO have conceded more than we have. Only TWO teams have a worse goal difference than we do. The table doesn't lie, but the table is more than just the points column and it doesn't show trend.

Still I like Ince and believe/hope he'll turn it round.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 10 Nov 2022 14:24

elrey
Royal_jimmy
windermereROYAL
And changing managers eery year has done us the world of good in recent times

Would help if Dai would stop making questionnable management appointments in the first place

Unfortunately I doubt that is going to change. You could hope that Bowen would get to pick the next manager, but.....

Gomes and Pauno were just head-scratching appointments. Bowen picking himself wasn't a lot better, but at least he had some experience of the league.

Obviously Ince wasn't at the top of anyone's 'ideal manager' list. But it was a fairly logical appointment. And him coming 'bundled' with TInce is a clear positive. I see absolutely no reason not to give him the season or two that most managers need to build a team from scratch.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Nov 2022 14:32

Coppells Lost Coat

Don't think anyone is shitting the bed. Just concerned with the clear warning signs.

Seems very much like previous seasons where we had posters assuring us the bad run was a blip and performances would improve when players were fit and the team settled. We've got a pretty long history of the good performance being the blip at this point. And a lot of it has clearly been fairly unsustainable in how we were getting it. That's certainly the case this season.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 10 Nov 2022 15:43

I think it boils down to - will lnce get this team to perform better than 3 other teams with a 6 point head start? Its a very low bar in my head and the positive start of the season was a total luxury. My mindset is still on finishing above 21st as a good season and mission accomplished.
Also can we afford to change manager? people forget that we are not poor, we are destitute.

Now am I happy with the style we play, absolutely not. Do I think Ince will improve - that will be made up in the next 26 games. I would be concerned if we scrape through this season to continue with the same shit next season.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Nov 2022 16:46

Coppells Lost Coat I think it boils down to - will lnce get this team to perform better than 3 other teams with a 6 point head start? Its a very low bar in my head and the positive start of the season was a total luxury. My mindset is still on finishing above 21st as a good season and mission accomplished.
Also can we afford to change manager? people forget that we are not poor, we are destitute.

Now am I happy with the style we play, absolutely not. Do I think Ince will improve - that will be made up in the next 26 games. I would be concerned if we scrape through this season to continue with the same shit next season.

We are not poor and certainly aren't destitute. Our owners have lots of money that they're clearly prepared to spend on the club. The issue is the EFL and their idea of FFP, so the question is surely more to do with what they might allow us to do.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Nov 2022 16:47

RoyalBlue
Coppells Lost Coat I think it boils down to - will lnce get this team to perform better than 3 other teams with a 6 point head start? Its a very low bar in my head and the positive start of the season was a total luxury. My mindset is still on finishing above 21st as a good season and mission accomplished.

We are not poor and certainly aren't destitute. Our owners have lots of money that they're clearly prepared to spend on the club. The issue is the EFL and their idea of FFP, so the question is surely more to do with what they might allow us to do.

Owners money =/= Reading FCs money.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Nov 2022 16:52

Millsy
Coppells Lost Coat

I see where you're coming from and arguably it's almost ridiculous that we're even thinking of Ince Out. Poor chap dealt a very bad hand and has done far better than anyone ever expected we could. Hutch out, results drop.

HOWEVER I think you're wrong. I get where it's coming from in that it's almost a carbon copy of the Pauno situation and I'm about to say the same thing I said then when I felt like Cassandra. I was one of I think 3 or 4 on here who were anti-Pauno despite us finishing 7th, my argument being the form since the magic opening spell was relegation form: we went from 7 points clear of 2nd place to 7pts below a playoff spot. He just carried on being shit the next season and the rest is history. It's not about the league position it's about how that's achieved and what the trend is. Had Pauno had a bad start but then picked up more and more results as he got to know the team and elevated us up to 7th in a final push then hell yeah he'd be a hero and he'd have probably taken us up the next season. But he didn't - it was 7 great games and then a season of relagation form which if anythign probably worseneed.

Likewise with Ince - if we look at the current league standings we may be happy, but again it's about the way it's achieved. After Pauno situation we are more wary of magic spells and the way they mask the ongoing poor form.

I really fail to see how with this squad we're not scoring for fun. Only FIVE teams have scored less than we have. And only TWO have conceded more than we have. Only TWO teams have a worse goal difference than we do. The table doesn't lie, but the table is more than just the points column and it doesn't show trend.

As daft as it sounds, could we "afford" relegation form for the remainder of the season, just based on the start we had?

My point being, after beating Bristol City we were 7th with 25 points after 16 games. I won't use the current 22nd-placed team West Brom because they are the anomaly I think, let's use Blackpool who are 21st and expected to be somewhere near the bottom 3 who currently have 22 points from 20 games. Blackpool's ppg is currently at 1.1. So with 26 games left, based on that ppg, they will achieve another 28.6 points (I will round up to 29) so they will finish the season on 51 points.

In our last 10 fixtures, we've amassed 8 points, a ppg of 0.8 (what I'd consider "relegation form"). We also have 26 games left, so that's another 20.8 points (rounding up to 21 to keep consistent) which would leave us 57 points, comfortably above Blackpool, as well as Wigan and Huddersfield who I anticipate to finish in and around the bottom 3, if not in there.

Obviously, that's just pure numbers and doesn't factor in fixtures, injuries, form, manager changes etc. But at this point, nearly halfway through the season, you'd be thinking that most teams are currently sitting in the positions they are going to finish. West Brom and Middlesbrough will likely climb, but probably won't reach the play offs, us and Birmingham will probably fall, but not into the bottom 3. So the ppg, for most teams at the point (as in total points after the number of games), is probably going to be what you'd expect. For example, a lot of fans believe someone will go down with 50+ points this season and I've just calculated Blackpool (theoretically being the 3rd worst side in the division, thus going down) on 51.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 10 Nov 2022 19:48

YorkshireRoyal99
Millsy
Coppells Lost Coat

As daft as it sounds, could we "afford" relegation form for the remainder of the season, just based on the start we had?

My point being, after beating Bristol City we were 7th with 25 points after 16 games. I won't use the current 22nd-placed team West Brom because they are the anomaly I think, let's use Blackpool who are 21st and expected to be somewhere near the bottom 3 who currently have 22 points from 20 games. Blackpool's ppg is currently at 1.1. So with 26 games left, based on that ppg, they will achieve another 28.6 points (I will round up to 29) so they will finish the season on 51 points.

In our last 10 fixtures, we've amassed 8 points, a ppg of 0.8 (what I'd consider "relegation form"). We also have 26 games left, so that's another 20.8 points (rounding up to 21 to keep consistent) which would leave us 57 points, comfortably above Blackpool, as well as Wigan and Huddersfield who I anticipate to finish in and around the bottom 3, if not in there.

Obviously, that's just pure numbers and doesn't factor in fixtures, injuries, form, manager changes etc. But at this point, nearly halfway through the season, you'd be thinking that most teams are currently sitting in the positions they are going to finish. West Brom and Middlesbrough will likely climb, but probably won't reach the play offs, us and Birmingham will probably fall, but not into the bottom 3. So the ppg, for most teams at the point (as in total points after the number of games), is probably going to be what you'd expect. For example, a lot of fans believe someone will go down with 50+ points this season and I've just calculated Blackpool (theoretically being the 3rd worst side in the division, thus going down) on 51.

I'd check your maths there. We don't have 36 points. Based on that we'd end up with 47 points and probably relegated, not 57 points

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 10 Nov 2022 21:18

This thread has woken up

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Nov 2022 21:50

Royal_jimmy
YorkshireRoyal99
Millsy

I'd check your maths there. We don't have 36 points. Based on that we'd end up with 47 points and probably relegated, not 57 points

:lol: Correct. Ignore that, relegation form we are f*cked!

Either way, still think we will be ok, just need some players to be back fit again. Not sure how good a lot of these teams below us actually are all things said and done, just need a good result at Hull on Saturday.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Nov 2022 07:29

Worth pointing out its quite common for a team or two at the bottom to pick up in ppg at the end of the season as they fight for survival, while there's often a team just above who dips and falls in.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 11 Nov 2022 08:41

Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue

Owners money =/= Reading FCs money.

In the football world money we have zero pounds to spend on anything with the squad. So I would class that as destitute in terms of spending power. Widely reported out goings are needed before even thinking about incomings. We are hand to mouth due to EFL restrictions. A mega rich billionaire owner means squat.

1204 posts