Player of the Season 2021/22

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Player of the Season 2021/22

by andrew1957 » 05 May 2022 09:13

Based on the whole season Swift should have won. Based on the last few weeks, we have had Swift injured and Yiadom has been very good. And most nobbers seem to have very short memories so probably no surprise the latter won. Shame really we had to choose between them as they were our two stand out performers this season.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 05 May 2022 09:16

Swift's form in the early season kept us up, can't really argue with that. He did his usual disappearing act from January onwards though and it hasn't gone unnoticed by the supporters.

Yiadom on the other hand has been pretty consistent, had a decent season and the pick of a bad bunch. He has also interacted with supporters during the protest era which won him a lot of plaudits.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 May 2022 09:32

andrew1957 Based on the whole season Swift should have won. Based on the last few weeks, we have had Swift injured and Yiadom has been very good. And most nobbers seem to have very short memories so probably no surprise the latter won. Shame really we had to choose between them as they were our two stand out performers this season.

Oh I see. So you’re right and those that voted for Yids are wrong. Swift was very ordinary in the second half of the season. Yes he had a terrific run of form particularly in the Autumn but there were very few goals frost Christmas and not many assists. He also has to be considered on the defensive side of his game which was non existent at times.

Yids may have been part of a dreadful defence but I can’t remember many goals being conceded due to his errors or from his side of the pitch. He was comfortably the most consistent player in the side.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 May 2022 09:36

In response to Swift's defensive side of the game, I wouldn't particularly want him doing something that isn't his strength, not when he excels at what he does anyway. He's obviously the talisman of the side (potentially Joao could argue that), so I'd want the team, this season anyway, to have been built around him.

That's probably part of the reason we were so effective last season when all the players were fit, as the part of the game Swift lacked was patched up by the Rino - Laurent core in midfield last season, it was a midfield that complemented each other well.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 May 2022 10:30

Yeah, that’s another surprising selection by the fanbase. Swift has been our best player this season by a mile. It’s like Laurent beating Joao and Olise last year, except Laurent had a pretty good season and Yiadom has been unremarkable.

I genuinely don’t know what our fans like in a POTS. Marcus was bizarrely beaten by Hunt in 2007-08, but we’ve had four goalkeeper victories in the last ten years. We give a lot of awards to defenders and midfielders, but went for Long ahead of Leigertwood who completely transformed our form.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 05 May 2022 10:32

John Swift really can do no wrong in some supporters eyes can he? As good as he was in the early part of the season he has been as bad in the 2nd half of the season. Went missing when we needed him.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 May 2022 10:54

It depends what you expect. The bar was so high in the first half of the season that he was inevitably going to drop off in the second half of the season. A couple of injuries have disrupted him in the second half of the season undoubtedly which have probably formed part of his inconsistency.

It depends how you look at it. Swift's statistics for the season are very good, despite the majority coming in the first half of the season, whereas Yiadom has been more consistent over the course of the season than what Swift has. I personally thought Swift excelled more than Yiadom, but can't begrudge Yiadom winning it for that reason though.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 05 May 2022 10:56

It is all a moot point anyway. After the season the team had there shouldn't have been any awards and certainly not an expensive, lavish ceremony. The awards should have been cancelled and the cost of any "gala" given to a local charity.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 May 2022 11:29

NathStPaul John Swift really can do no wrong in some supporters eyes can he? As good as he was in the early part of the season he has been as bad in the 2nd half of the season. Went missing when we needed him.

Central to us winning 6 points against Brum and PNE with goals and assists and contributed against Stoke (corner led to own goal), Barnsley and Blackburn with good performances

Other than Sheff utd those were the games that kept us up

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 05 May 2022 11:38

He took a corner? PLAYER OF THE SEASON! Swift is a show pony, always has been. If the going gets tough the Swift gets hiding. He is unreliable and expensive.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2022 11:42

Zip
andrew1957 Based on the whole season Swift should have won. Based on the last few weeks, we have had Swift injured and Yiadom has been very good. And most nobbers seem to have very short memories so probably no surprise the latter won. Shame really we had to choose between them as they were our two stand out performers this season.

Oh I see. So you’re right and those that voted for Yids are wrong. Swift was very ordinary in the second half of the season. Yes he had a terrific run of form particularly in the Autumn but there were very few goals frost Christmas and not many assists. He also has to be considered on the defensive side of his game which was non existent at times.

Yids may have been part of a dreadful defence but I can’t remember many goals being conceded due to his errors or from his side of the pitch. He was comfortably the most consistent player in the side.

He was pretty rancid at times.

It's nothing new that the winner of PotS is the player who hits form in February / March.

It is ever thus.

You've spent the entire season complaining about his ability to cross. :lol:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 May 2022 12:02

NathStPaul He took a corner? PLAYER OF THE SEASON! Swift is a show pony, always has been. If the going gets tough the Swift gets hiding. He is unreliable and expensive.

Not so sure about show pony but agreed his performances fluctuate too often. I guess that’s par for the course for a midfielder in the mould of Swift but he seems to suffer prolonged periods of good/bad runs of form as opposed to being inconsistent game to game

And is probably why, given how good we know he can be, he’s been stuck here for all those years with fairly average midfielders making the step up to the Prem

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 May 2022 12:03

NathStPaul He took a corner? PLAYER OF THE SEASON! Swift is a show pony, always has been. If the going gets tough the Swift gets hiding. He is unreliable and expensive.

So it wasn’t tough pre Christmas? Or against Brum or PNE?

Interesting as I thought we were just as crap then as we were before the turn of the year

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 05 May 2022 12:08

Hound

So it wasn’t tough pre Christmas? Or against Brum or PNE?

Interesting as I thought we were just as crap then as we were before the turn of the year

It was tough all season but when it came to the latter stages he tailed off massively, not sure that can be denied. He did go missing a lot in games and it isn't entirely his fault. I have said before he isn't the sort of player you can make play back to back games too often, he just hasn't got the natural fitness for it.

So if I am being completely serious for a minute, yes he started the season very well and his goals probably kept us in the league but due to the managers over reliance on him and the fact he knew for a long time he was leaving his form and effort dropped off a cliff imo.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 May 2022 12:11

Not denying he faded quite badly over the course of the season - but still gave us some moments that won us games

Which would be why he was fairly clear pots for me, rather than Yids

Anyway moot now. And obviously really doesn’t matter very much either
Last edited by Hound on 05 May 2022 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 05 May 2022 12:11

URZZZZ

Not so sure about show pony but agreed his performances fluctuate too often. I guess that’s par for the course for a midfielder in the mould of Swift but he seems to suffer prolonged periods of good/bad runs of form as opposed to being inconsistent game to game

And is probably why, given how good we know he can be, he’s been stuck here for all those years with fairly average midfielders making the step up to the Prem

I would be interested to see him in the Premier League, I think the schedule might suit him more. They'll be a lot less midweek games so his body will get a rest. Not convinced he'd be an automatic starter should he get a prem move anyway, sub cameos might suit him.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 May 2022 12:13

Not so sure his effort really tailed off but his form certainly did, inconsistencies aplenty in the second half of the season, some down to him, some things maybe not down to him.

A lot of teams will also set up against us to stop Swift given his form in the first part of the season. Barnsley away he could barely get involved in the first half, made a change which moved him out to the left and he was much more involved and looked like he was going to do something. If I remember rightly was he partly involved in the eventual goal? Or is it just me thinking that because the ball came in from the side he was playing on?

Examples like that are something that don't live long in the memory of supporters, just the moment itself.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 05 May 2022 12:48

NathStPaul It is all a moot point anyway. After the season the team had there shouldn't have been any awards and certainly not an expensive, lavish ceremony. The awards should have been cancelled and the cost of any "gala" given to a local charity.

Believe this is practically the first time they've ever had a team awards ceremony, and it was purely to tie in with our historical anniversary season. And all proceeds did go to a local charity – No5 Young People.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 05 May 2022 12:49

Thats good of them then if it raised money. I stand corrected as said the man in the orthopedic shoes.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2022 12:58

URZZZZ

I think his early season form is making his late season form seem worse than it is.

He's only been poor in a handful of games, around our worst period. Other than that he's been good but not outstanding. Which is what he was for the first 2 months.

The only player who has had a period of high performance comparable to his is Joao and he didn't play that well, he just scored a lot. Yiadom has been ok to good with a bit of excellent and poor.