Can we find 3 teams worse than us next season?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Can we find 3 teams worse than us next season?

by Stranded » 30 Apr 2022 08:30

So what seems to be being said here is Wilshere is currently match fit, playing in a competitive league and likely be available for pre-season if a club wanted to take a punt.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 30 Apr 2022 10:16

Nameless
Lower West Drinkwater was unwanted too......

No one would give Andy Carroll a contract......

Were these merely a fact or were they a FACT? Whichever they were they were only OPNIONS, and that is a FACT.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Apr 2022 10:48

Stranded So what seems to be being said here is Wilshere is currently match fit, playing in a competitive league and likely be available for pre-season if a club wanted to take a punt.

What's his recent injury record like. Given our woes, the last thing we need to do is recruit someone who spends a third of the season on the treatment table.

Personally think we should avoid former Names spiralling down. It hasn't served us very well in recent past.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Apr 2022 12:09

Snowflake Royal
Stranded So what seems to be being said here is Wilshere is currently match fit, playing in a competitive league and likely be available for pre-season if a club wanted to take a punt.

What's his recent injury record like. Given our woes, the last thing we need to do is recruit someone who spends a third of the season on the treatment table.

Personally think we should avoid former Names spiralling down. It hasn't served us very well in recent past.

Picked up a serious groin injury in autumn 2019 that left him out for 200 days.

Since recovery he’s only had one injury that we know of, and was unavailable for 11 days. Didn’t miss any games due to injury while at Bournemouth and hasn’t missed any Aarhus either in his short time there.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Apr 2022 12:55

SCIAG
Snowflake Royal

Picked up a serious groin injury in autumn 2019 that left him out for 200 days.

Since recovery he’s only had one injury that we know of, and was unavailable for 11 days. Didn’t miss any games due to injury while at Bournemouth and hasn’t missed any Aarhus either in his short time there.

There's no doubt he's a very talented player. You'd assume wages would no longer be a major problem given where he's been the last season, if he's gone a couple of years without any real injury worries that's good.

Still not sold for the reasons above, but on that basis wouldn't go as far as saying it would be a bad signing.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Apr 2022 18:38

Very unlikely I will be getting a ST can`t put myself through another season like this again, it`s been incredibly painful. but I`ve got 2 months to make up my mind, who knows?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Apr 2022 22:36

The prospect of league one football doesn't excite me a bit

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 May 2022 07:23

I'm strangely looking forward to next season.

This year, no-one really initially thought we would struggle but we did eith a squad not built to cope. Next season, whoever is in charge will have to build a side who can battle it out. We have an actual challenge ahead.

I reserve the right to change my view in October when we have picked up 4 points from 15 games.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 May 2022 12:18

Stranded I'm strangely looking forward to next season.

This year, no-one really initially thought we would struggle but we did eith a squad not built to cope. Next season, whoever is in charge will have to build a side who can battle it out. We have an actual challenge ahead.

I reserve the right to change my view in October when we have picked up 4 points from 15 games.

Given the talk around players out of contract and the "struggles" we seem to have in that area, I'm a little bit more concerned now as I wouldn't want us to be replacing too many players that walk.

I was hoping we'd be able to retain the likes of Yiadom, Laurent, Rino and Hoilett at least anyway but the talk from the club is even that seems like a struggle at the moment. It could still happen granted.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 May 2022 12:37

I reserve the right to not worry about it at all until such time as we know who the manager is, which players we’ve kept and which players we’ve signed.

At the moment some of you are speculating and in danger of wetting the bed when we have no idea what’s going to happen

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 May 2022 12:55

YorkshireRoyal99

Given the talk around players out of contract and the "struggles" we seem to have in that area, I'm a little bit more concerned now as I wouldn't want us to be replacing too many players that walk.

I was hoping we'd be able to retain the likes of Yiadom, Laurent, Rino and Hoilett at least anyway but the talk from the club is even that seems like a struggle at the moment. It could still happen granted.

I'm in no way saying it'll be easy, I'm almost resigned to starting 23/24 in L1 but that would not be quite as big a disaster as starting next season down there but we have a squad that have mainly been involved in failure here - even Swift, who we all know is one of the best players we've had has been involved in 3 relegation battles in 5 seasons - there is a losing culture at the club and for all the talk many years of resetting, refreshing etc - we never really have.

This summer we are going to be forced to completely rebuild the squad - we may well end up keeping a couple we don't expect but it may strangely be best for the club to just shake hands with all and moving on. We may end up with a weaker squad on paper, but it could end up being a better team - that will also depend on getting the manager call right, or at worst making it in the next week - so we are building and recruiting immediately.

The biggest risk is players know what we can pay, so we may be the club of last resort and only be able to do our recruitment in the week or two before the season starts but there may be quite a few who may trade a little bit in money knowing they are more likely to be in the starting XI most weeks.

My "excitement" is more based around how we handle the next 2 months when we aren't playing a game rather than how I think the season will go (i.e. 21st is the only target).

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 May 2022 13:46

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99

I'm in no way saying it'll be easy, I'm almost resigned to starting 23/24 in L1 but that would not be quite as big a disaster as starting next season down there but we have a squad that have mainly been involved in failure here - even Swift, who we all know is one of the best players we've had has been involved in 3 relegation battles in 5 seasons - there is a losing culture at the club and for all the talk many years of resetting, refreshing etc - we never really have.

This summer we are going to be forced to completely rebuild the squad - we may well end up keeping a couple we don't expect but it may strangely be best for the club to just shake hands with all and moving on. We may end up with a weaker squad on paper, but it could end up being a better team - that will also depend on getting the manager call right, or at worst making it in the next week - so we are building and recruiting immediately.

The biggest risk is players know what we can pay, so we may be the club of last resort and only be able to do our recruitment in the week or two before the season starts but there may be quite a few who may trade a little bit in money knowing they are more likely to be in the starting XI most weeks.

My "excitement" is more based around how we handle the next 2 months when we aren't playing a game rather than how I think the season will go (i.e. 21st is the only target).

In terms of where we finish next season, I think that all depends on who stays/goes and who we sell/sign. Loans are useful as always if we get them right, free agents are low risk, it's all about staying within our budgets really. Although I said it last week, I still think that all those clubs from Bristol City downwards will struggle again next season somewhat, including the 3 that come up obviously as well as any clubs that may suffer points deductions.

I definitely don't think it will be an easy summer or season next time around, although I'm optimistic it will be better than this one, especially if we can keep Joao and Meite fit for the majority of the season. The fact we've managed to score a lot of goals this season has been what's kept us up against the rest around us.