Ince, Rae and Bowen... how whelmed are you with their appointment?

How whelmed are you?

Poll ended at 16 Jun 2022 12:36
Overwhelmed with joy
6%
Whelmed with ambivalence
56%
Underwhembled in despair
13%
What does it matter?
13%
Ian Royal
12%

Total votes: 78
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Ince, Rae and Bowen... how whelmed are you with their appointment?

by Snowflake Royal » 17 May 2022 12:36

It's a bit of a tradition. What does your current whelmguage read as now we have a management structure in place?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Ince, Rae and Bowen... how whelmed are you with their appointment?

by NathStPaul » 17 May 2022 12:40

Very underwhelmed with Ince.

I'd love to know if the club bothered to approach anyone else currently available before appointing Ince or if he was the only man in the frame.

Bowen I'm not totally sold on but I recognise that we needed someone in that role. He knows the club too.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 17 May 2022 12:45

A bit underwhelmed given there were seemingly better names available but it might not be the worst decision we've made, for continuities sake, it's a good move.

Bowen is good to have back in the role he originated in (or similar) as well, especially as he knows the club.

Both not bad appointments, could have been better on paper though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 May 2022 12:46

NathStPaul Very underwhelmed with Ince.

I'd love to know if the club bothered to approach anyone else currently available before appointing Ince or if he was the only man in the frame.

Bowen I'm not totally sold on but I recognise that we needed someone in that role. He knows the club too.

Would certainly be interesting to find out if we had any conversations with others.

Mixed views on that. It seems a no brainer, but also a bit inappropriate to be going to others' "behind Ince’s back" so to speak.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 17 May 2022 12:47

We probably approached noone. Got rid of Pauno late, effectively forced to by fans. Minimal effort by Dai, just called a player's dad to help. 'Interim' was never interim. Easiest option is to keep him.

Ince I guess is a decent chap, I like the guy and suppose he's at least deserved a chance and I'm happy for him, but I'd want us to have lined up someone decent after the 7-0 thrashing. Warnock and Ainsworth hinted at at least being interested for example. I'm sure there'd be others who'd want in. So it's been a thoroughly disappointing affair for me.

Having said that I was initially disappointed with Pardew and with McDermott too.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 May 2022 12:51

I think Ince being a solid bloke who seems to have got the players back onside is a good thing of course, no doubt he is the man behind the improved player morale so you have to give credit on that front.

Wasn't a fan of his responses after losing the Hull game or the WBA game. It went all a little bit Paunovic where he said we played really well and deserved to win etc. We were rubbish and pretty much on the beach, would have liked him to fire up a bit and say it like it is.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 17 May 2022 12:56

I agree Nath, and he does have a reputation of being cocky iirc. BUT I suppose even with the likes of Pauno sometimes when you're focussing only on your team you see the positives and think you deserve to win.

Several times I have said we've played well in games (because that's what I wanted to see) only to be brought to earth by differing opinions here telling me they thought we weren't the better team. But even then I guess a manager has to be able to see things objectively, not as an optimistic fan.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 May 2022 12:57

NathStPaul I think Ince being a solid bloke who seems to have got the players back onside is a good thing of course, no doubt he is the man behind the improved player morale so you have to give credit on that front.

Wasn't a fan of his responses after losing the Hull game or the WBA game. It went all a little bit Paunovic where he said we played really well and deserved to win etc. We were rubbish and pretty much on the beach, would have liked him to fire up a bit and say it like it is.

I'd have been fine with, for example:

We played quite well, tidy in possession and relatively untroubled defensively. But we got punished for a mistake and didn’t create enough clear cut chances. It's not a bad performance, but we need to do better.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 May 2022 12:58

Reasonably happy. Would have liked Ainsworth or Warburton but it does feel like Ince and Bowen are prepared to tackle the issues head on and doubt either will readily take no for an answer

I quite like we’ve gone for some experienced tough old heads who know the league etc

Fully expecting us to try to build a team of Josh Laurents and hopefully instill some proper fight into the team

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 17 May 2022 13:44

I am reasonably happy partly because we could have ended up with another relatively unknown manager from god knows where in Europe. Also, I do feel that Ince deserves the chance and it’s hard to judge him based on the last 14 games. It’s been a team without any cohesion and in gradual decline for years now.

I completely agree about his surprising comments after the Hull and WBA games but he was just putting a positive spin on 2 poor results and a fair few managers seem to do this a lot. I am looking forward to next season now and I feel more optimistic than I have done for a while.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 17 May 2022 14:28

Ince - I like the guy. I don't get the haters. They sound more and more like entitled Arsenal fans every day.

Rae - He's a ten a penny assistant. Not fussed either way really, but between he and Ince you can imagine a heated dressing room to fire up the players.

Bowen - Just don't like him. He's said he doesn't like DOF roles and wants to be a Manager. He came in as DOF anyway, sacked the Manager and then took the job. Now for some reason he's back in a role he doesn't like... Don't trust him, and don't see anything yet that suggests he's a good man to have for that role, and definitely not as Manager ever again!

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 May 2022 17:20

I'm happy Bowen is back at the club. We are badly missing an identity and plan. I'm a bit more optimistic in future with more structure in place.

Ince is a meh appointment. He kept us up so I understand the logic behind keeping him on. I'm just not convinced he's the answer long term. Did Bowen get a say in the decision? Or is it another punt down Dayong Pang and Dai Yongge?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 May 2022 17:24

If it was just Ince and Rae I would have been thoroughly underwhelmed but bringing Bowen back at least suggests the club might be trying to get a proper structure in place.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 May 2022 18:13

No money. A limited playing squad. At least a prompt decision that gives a fighting chance of survival next season. Jury is out with regards to the owners though. One wonders if they are looking to sell.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 17 May 2022 18:30

NathStPaul Very underwhelmed with Ince.

Based on your previous 'correct' predictions, we will go up winning every single game

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 May 2022 19:49

Snowflake Royal It's a bit of a tradition. What does your current whelmguage read as now we have a management structure in place?

Oops. I normally do this but on account of my complete underhwelmage at this I seemed to have forgot.

Crap appointment but thoroughly predictable. I’ll be amazed if we’re not a League One club sooner or later.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 May 2022 19:51

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal It's a bit of a tradition. What does your current whelmguage read as now we have a management structure in place?

Oops. I normally do this but on account of my complete underhwelmage at this I seemed to have forgot.

Crap appointment but thoroughly predictable. I’ll be amazed if we’re not a League One club sooner or later.

I too would be very surprised if we never play in L1 for the rest of eternity

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 17 May 2022 20:38

PATRIQT Ince - I like the guy. I don't get the haters. They sound more and more like entitled Arsenal fans every day.

Rae - He's a ten a penny assistant. Not fussed either way really, but between he and Ince you can imagine a heated dressing room to fire up the players.

Bowen - Just don't like him. He's said he doesn't like DOF roles and wants to be a Manager. He came in as DOF anyway, sacked the Manager and then took the job. Now for some reason he's back in a role he doesn't like... Don't trust him, and don't see anything yet that suggests he's a good man to have for that role, and definitely not as Manager ever again!

Bowen probably took the job knowing he would be manager again by Christmas.
Snake.....

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 May 2022 21:23

Ascotexgunner
PATRIQT Ince - I like the guy. I don't get the haters. They sound more and more like entitled Arsenal fans every day.

Snake.....

I'd say that both Bowen and Ince have taken on the roles on their terms. No lose situation.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 May 2022 23:06

Ascotexgunner

Snake.....

How ironic given the unjustified venom you spit about him.