Reasons to be hopeful?

257 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Reasons to be hopeful?

by SCIAG » 26 May 2022 20:24

Lower West
tmesis Regarding the gap getting wider every year...if players who would have signed for championship clubs on £20,000 are only going to be offered £10000 now, where are they going to go instead?

The Championship still. £10k a week is stll a huge amount of money in comparison to the average wage. Championship clubs will be forced to set their budgets in line with their declining income.

Which rather contradicts your claim that the gap is getting wider, doesn't it?

In reality, if wages are being cut it will affect the Championship's ability to recruit. Football is a global marketplace. That's the major reason why the quality of the Championship has been so high in recent years. If wages in the Championship decline then we can expect a reduction in quality, but the relationship is probably pretty inelastic in the short term.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 May 2022 23:18

SCIAG
Lower West
tmesis Regarding the gap getting wider every year...if players who would have signed for championship clubs on £20,000 are only going to be offered £10000 now, where are they going to go instead?

The Championship still. £10k a week is stll a huge amount of money in comparison to the average wage. Championship clubs will be forced to set their budgets in line with their declining income.

In reality, if wages are being cut it will affect the Championship's ability to recruit. Football is a global marketplace. That's the major reason why the quality of the Championship has been so high in recent years. If wages in the Championship decline then we can expect a reduction in quality, but the relationship is probably pretty inelastic in the short term.

What other national leagues pay high wages? Only the influx of rich billionaire owners into the Championship has raised the stakes. Look at our own owner. Only had one aim. Buy promotion at any cost. Should have sold Moore when they were offered £10 million. Wouldn't have lasted more than a season in the top flight.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 May 2022 07:13

Lower West
SCIAG
Lower West The Championship still. £10k a week is stll a huge amount of money in comparison to the average wage. Championship clubs will be forced to set their budgets in line with their declining income.

What other national leagues pay high wages? Only the influx of rich billionaire owners into the Championship has raised the stakes. Look at our own owner. Only had one aim. Buy promotion at any cost. Should have sold Moore when they were offered £10 million. Wouldn't have lasted more than a season in the top flight.

It's not just if the Champ pays more than say the French league It's if clubs in it pay enough to make a move worthwhile.

Say Champ club A is now offering 10k and a lower half Ligue 1 side is offering 8k then for a French player staying "home" may appeal more than when Champ clubs were offering 12 or more as after tax they may take home roughly the same.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 May 2022 09:25

Stranded
Lower West
SCIAG Which rather contradicts your claim that the gap is getting wider, doesn't it?

It's not just if the Champ pays more than say the French league It's if clubs in it pay enough to make a move worthwhile.

Say Champ club A is now offering 10k and a lower half Ligue 1 side is offering 8k then for a French player staying "home" may appeal more than when Champ clubs were offering 12 or more as after tax they may take home roughly the same.

Yes, money is a big influence, but it's not the only factor for a player either. It's one of the common problems that many managers talk about in recruitment, it can be difficult to prize players away from where they currently play if they are happy.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 27 May 2022 12:42

To be honest I think we're screwed. The damage has been well and truly done by the owner.

Years of overspending on shit and lazy players, hiring clueless managers is coming back to bite us. If we go down we won't even be the biggest club in league one. Hard to see anything but a long stay in the lower leagues coming our way.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 May 2022 12:46

Royal_jimmy To be honest I think we're screwed. The damage has been well and truly done by the owner.

Years of overspending on shit and lazy players, hiring clueless managers is coming back to bite us. If we go down we won't even be the biggest club in league one. Hard to see anything but a long stay in the lower leagues coming our way.

Why do you want us to go down Jimmy?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 May 2022 12:51

Royal_jimmy To be honest I think we're screwed. The damage has been well and truly done by the owner.

If we go down, we will be in a much better position to come back up quickly than if we had gone down this. It may happen but it does look like the club are trying to put structures in place now that would lessen the impact of relegation.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 27 May 2022 12:51

You’re positive

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 27 May 2022 12:55

He doesn't have to be positive, it isn't a legal requirement.

I don't agree with him but he is entitled to his view.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 27 May 2022 13:03

NathStPaul He doesn't have to be positive, it isn't a legal requirement.

I don't agree with him but he is entitled to his view.

He is entitled to his view as we all are, I didn’t say he wasn’t :)

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 27 May 2022 13:04

I find this an odd comment;

a) would we have ever been the biggest club in L1 if we had been relegated over the past 8 season?
b) why should that matter? There are loads of "big" clubs in L1 that constantly fail at getting promoted.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 May 2022 13:53

I'm not even sure we will go down this season. It will for sure be another struggle, but I don't think it's anywhere near a foregone conclusion and could quite comfortably find 3 worse teams in this league (Rotherham, Wigan, Birmingham for example are probably worse than us).

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 27 May 2022 13:58

YorkshireRoyal99

I'm not even sure we will go down this season. It will for sure be another struggle, but I don't think it's anywhere near a foregone conclusion and could quite comfortably find 3 worse teams in this league (Rotherham, Wigan, Birmingham for example are probably worse than us).

Not sure you can say that with any certainty. On paper we have a much stronger side than Coventry, Blackpool, Preston, Luton and Huddersfield yet we finished miles behind them. Comparing us to other sides is a pointless exercise really, there is more to it than out and out ability.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 May 2022 14:21

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99

Not sure you can say that with any certainty. On paper we have a much stronger side than Coventry, Blackpool, Preston, Luton and Huddersfield yet we finished miles behind them. Comparing us to other sides is a pointless exercise really, there is more to it than out and out ability.

Well no obviously not, it's just a matter of opinion really. You probably aren't wrong with those mentioned either, but I also tried to be realistic given last seasons performances as well.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 27 May 2022 14:25

YorkshireRoyal99
NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99

Well no obviously not, it's just a matter of opinion really. You probably aren't wrong with those mentioned either, but I also tried to be realistic given last seasons performances as well.

The point I was trying to make (maybe poorly) is that a solid foundation along with club stability can go a long way to make up for shortfalls in player ability. Given that it is May we just don't know where we will be come the first game, too many unknowns. A club like Wigan coming up with a settled squad might have the edge on us due to that consistency.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 May 2022 14:30

Hendo

a) would we have ever been the biggest club in L1 if we had been relegated over the past 8 season?
b) why should that matter? There are loads of "big" clubs in L1 that constantly fail at getting promoted.

If we start the 23/24 season in L1, the one thing we will have is one of, if not the best training facility in the division. That will be a big draw at that level.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 May 2022 14:33

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99

That's the trouble. We've become a fantasy football club. Splash the cash and roll the dice. On paper doesn't mean that a great side will walk out onto the pitch and compete. Meanwhile other clubs have gone about their business quietly and efficiently. Luton's average wage bill last season was just £6.5k. There's no danger of them struggling financially. Remember they once graced the top flight of the game too. Were relegated in 1992 , eventually sunk to the Conference where they spent 4 seasons. Finally re-entering the football league in 2009.

Bottom line is that the club has been mismanaged for an extended period of time. Eventually the luck will run out. While building blocks have been put back in. There's a long road ahead for the club to be held again in the same regard as it was under Sir JM's stewardship.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 May 2022 14:40

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99
NathStPaul Not sure you can say that with any certainty. On paper we have a much stronger side than Coventry, Blackpool, Preston, Luton and Huddersfield yet we finished miles behind them. Comparing us to other sides is a pointless exercise really, there is more to it than out and out ability.

The point I was trying to make (maybe poorly) is that a solid foundation along with club stability can go a long way to make up for shortfalls in player ability. Given that it is May we just don't know where we will be come the first game, too many unknowns. A club like Wigan coming up with a settled squad might have the edge on us due to that consistency.

True, there is a balance to be had though. As it is now, I'd say we are better than Wigan, as said though, a lot can change when the transfer window closes, although I'd still expect us to be better than Wigan.

I always believe that if you have quality, it will show eventually. Despite our meager league position last season, we managed to survive against two clubs who are better run off the field than what we are in Peterborough and Barnsley, because we have that better quality. Yes, quality isn't everything, especially for consistency, but you'd eventually think it would come through and I think that will be the case next season, even with so many departures, we still have good quality players like Joao, Meite, Ejaria etc (plus whoever signs on) that can be relied on and I'm positive we will be able to recruit good quality players this summer as well.

In terms of our recruitment, a lot of the time, it's not actually the quality of the player that's the issue, but moreover it's the sustainability of wages along with the fees we are paying clubs for players that have left us where we are, that's the stability we are talking about.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 May 2022 17:50

Lower West
SCIAG
Lower West The Championship still. £10k a week is stll a huge amount of money in comparison to the average wage. Championship clubs will be forced to set their budgets in line with their declining income.

Well quite. If we suddenly find we can't afford to pay more than Bundesliga or Serie A clubs then we'll find it harder to recruit from those leagues, and they'll be better positioned to compete for players from France or Portugal or the Netherlands.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 May 2022 19:00

Hendo

Forget last 8 years, have we ever been the biggest club in our division? I'd say no going back my entire 25 ish years following.

We were up there in the Burns / Pardew years in L1, but I wouldn't say biggest with any certainty.

257 posts