Reasons to be hopeful?

257 posts
SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Reasons to be hopeful?

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Jul 2022 12:04

I’m pretty hopeful, not expecting too much but think we will be fine and hope it is a season we can build upon

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jul 2022 12:32

Elm Park Kid I know that there are still some additions to the squad to come - but what do people think will be reasonable criteria on how to judge P. Ince? IMO . . .

We need to be restrained when criticising style of play or tactics for what is essentially a brand new team. It takes time for players to get to know each other's movements and preferred play. Frankly Ince will do well to get them to pull off any kind of strategy to begin with - We're bound to see a lot of in-depth, last ditch defending combined with misplaced passing, slow attacks and 'hopeful' balls into the box. It's just inevitable until the players can get time together.

Results-wise: Honestly, I think that just keeping our heads above water before Christmas is fine. In and out of relegation zone would be concerning, but not unexpected. I'd only get worried if we were well off safety.

Mentality: This is the big thing i'm hoping will change this season, and how i'll judge Ince. I don't want to see heads drop too much when conceding, or those 'straight after half time' goals. We don't one a couple of defeats to turn into 5 or 6 on the trot because the players are expecting to lose. We don't want too many bust ups in the changing room or arguments on the pitch.

Key things for me are:

- being competitive in games
- not being the architects of our own defeat regularly
- adapting to problems
- show a plan to improve

And if he does all that, 9 times out 10 we'll finish lower mid-table.

If he does most of it most of the time we should be ok.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Jul 2022 12:51

In answer to the original thread title - Blackpool appear to be in a worse state than us!!

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 25 Jul 2022 14:28

The excellent Racing Post football pull-out tipped up 4pts to get relegated 15/8 and on the 1-24 predictions they have bottom, can't get any worse at least.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 25 Jul 2022 14:34

RG30 The excellent Racing Post football pull-out tipped up 4pts to get relegated 15/8 and on the 1-24 predictions they have bottom, can't get any worse at least.

I think we will inevitably be seen as relegation favourites because people have no idea what we will do. Ince is one of the favourites for the sack although I think he’ll get the whole season whatever.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Jul 2022 14:35

Nameless
RG30 The excellent Racing Post football pull-out tipped up 4pts to get relegated 15/8 and on the 1-24 predictions they have bottom, can't get any worse at least.

I think we will inevitably be seen as relegation favourites because people have no idea what we will do. Ince is one of the favourites for the sack although I think he’ll get the whole season whatever.

Thing is - i actually think we are stronger than last season. Yes, Swift is a big loss, any team would miss that type of quality. But i do thin he over gloss Rhinomota and Laurent. That midfield was absolute powder puff last season. With Sarr coming in alongside Hutchinson, with Yiadom and Holmes Mcintyre that defense looks so much better also.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 25 Jul 2022 15:06

paultheroyal
Nameless

Thing is - i actually think we are stronger than last season. Yes, Swift is a big loss, any team would miss that type of quality. But i do thin he over gloss Rhinomota and Laurent. That midfield was absolute powder puff last season. With Sarr coming in alongside Hutchinson, with Yiadom and Holmes Mcintyre that defense looks so much better also.

It’s hard to be sure how the team will gel and I absolutely can see why bookies and other fans will have us down as relegation fodder. I’m fine with that as it has no bearing on where we actually finish, and I think we will absolutely give teams like Blackpool a shock if they think it will be an ‘easy’ game !

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 25 Jul 2022 15:14

paultheroyal
Nameless

You can't ignore the importance of stability though for a team. Having two 6/10 CBs who have played 3 seasons together is often better than having two 7/10 defenders who have never played together.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Jul 2022 15:37

paultheroyal
Nameless

I think the squad has more balance now than what it did last season and is more suited to this division than what it was under Pauno. Under Pauno we had a lot of lightweight, technical players whereas now we have more experienced professionals with a physical edge to them, traditional of a lot of Championship sides.

The problem we have had for a few years now is that we've had technical players that just weren't that good and the few good players we had all moved on to a higher level. Illori was a pretty good example, a technical player who wasn't suited to the physical nature of the Championship but actually ended up playing much higher than where we are now.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 25 Jul 2022 15:51

from the little I have seen in pre-season, we will need all on-field players to be on it - if too many are below par, we will struggle - we don't have a player who can conjure something out of nothing like we have done (Olise, Swift...) - unless Ejaria plays in more attacking positions

Against better teams (WHU & BHA) my impression was that the game plan was to contain and we only showed ambition once we had conceded - I am afraid this will be a trait of a Paul Ince team - I hope I am wrong

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jul 2022 16:13

Pretty unwise to start saying that our midfield is better than last year without having seen who exactly will definitely start and them play a single competitive game together.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Jul 2022 16:22

Snowflake Royal Pretty unwise to start saying that our midfield is better than last year without having seen who exactly will definitely start and them play a single competitive game together.

I'm pretty sure you criticised me for saying our trialists from the Benfica game would be decent squad options for us, baring in mind none of them had played a competitive game for us either. Consistency?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jul 2022 17:10

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Pretty unwise to start saying that our midfield is better than last year without having seen who exactly will definitely start and them play a single competitive game together.

I'm pretty sure you criticised me for saying our trialists from the Benfica game would be decent squad options for us, baring in mind none of them had played a competitive game for us either. Consistency?

That was because their performance was shit.

Decent squad option is rather less detailed that better than specific players we've seen play scores of games.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Jul 2022 09:54

I have to say I'm really excited for the new season. Relegation fight season, yeah, but so many new players with a point to prove, and chances for youngsters it'll be awesome!! :)

Midtable will be a brilliant achievement, every win will be cherished not expected. Every point fought for. Every tackle celebrated. This is the Reading I know and love. Bring it!!!!

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 26 Jul 2022 10:12

Millsy I have to say I'm really excited for the new season. Relegation fight season, yeah, but so many new players with a point to prove, and chances for youngsters it'll be awesome!! :)

Midtable will be a brilliant achievement, every win will be cherished not expected. Every point fought for. Every tackle celebrated. This is the Reading I know and love. Bring it!!!!

Agree with this

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 26 Jul 2022 10:22

SouthDownsRoyal
Millsy I have to say I'm really excited for the new season. Relegation fight season, yeah, but so many new players with a point to prove, and chances for youngsters it'll be awesome!! :)

Agree with this

Yep me too

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 26 Jul 2022 12:49

what we need is to defend from the front and Joao is a problem with this approach. We need midfielders who track their runners into the box and provide an effective screen to the defence. Fullbacks who know how to defend the back post and provide cover for the centre backs. And also cut out the silly errors in dangerous positions by trying to "overplay"

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 Jul 2022 22:40

paultheroyal
Nameless

Saw Rinomhota playing for Cardiff on Saturday against Swindon. Will be a huge loss. Playing in a more advanced position, chased and harried for the full 90 minutes. Just reaching his prime years now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jul 2022 08:14

Lower West
paultheroyal
Nameless I think we will inevitably be seen as relegation favourites because people have no idea what we will do. Ince is one of the favourites for the sack although I think he’ll get the whole season whatever.

Saw Rinomhota playing for Cardiff on Saturday against Swindon. Will be a huge loss. Playing in a more advanced position, chased and harried for the full 90 minutes. Just reaching his prime years now.

If he'd been fit more of last season we'd have been in a less dangerous position. Mostly a very reliable player. Not flashy, but does the basics right. The antithesis of the likes of Drinkwater who look flash and then oxf*rd up every game.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jul 2022 08:58

He was ok. Easily replaceable imo. Didn’t kick on from his early form and spent half of last season out with a twisted ankle

Not one I’m particularly worried about losing. Think Laurent would have been a good fit in this current team though

257 posts