Pre-season games 2022/2023

351 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Pre-season games 2022/2023

by Nameless » 23 Jul 2022 17:12

So that’s preseason over.
Draw a line under it, rarely gives us much idea of how the actual stuff will go.
We’ve undoubtably got a better squad than many of us feared a couple of months ago, but I find it almost impossible to predict how things will go. I don’t think we’ll beat 13 or 106 though....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jul 2022 17:26

Looking forward to the season. We won’t be the best side but the attitude was good and I think well be relatively hard to beat

Brighton did that to a number of prem teams last year so not especially concerned. Just pleased we improved as we went

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 23 Jul 2022 17:29

Hound Looking forward to the season. We won’t be the best side but the attitude was good and I think well be relatively hard to beat

Brighton did that to a number of prem teams last year so not especially concerned. Just pleased we improved as we went

+1 Brighton are now an established premiership team and there’s no shame in being outclassed by them.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 23 Jul 2022 17:59

Bit dispiriting overall.

Obvs acknowledge where BHA are now but it grates that we were in the same promotion race as then just five years ago. They’ve spent a fortune but done it well.

But just three attacks of note for us, four if you include the suicidal penalty, all second half. I worry where the goals will come from. We’re playing a deep 5-4-1 and hitting it long. In midfield Hendrick and Fornah are downgrades on Drinkwater and Laurent. Playing all three of Ejaria, Ince and Hoillet doesn’t work for me. You get much the same out of all of them, a piece of brilliance about once every 6-8 games but no consistent cutting edge. Ejaria does my nut in. Defensively we had an enormous error in us every ten minutes in the first half.

On the bright side thought Lumley looked secure, Meite looked back to fitness and we had a recognisable style of play. As already said by others BHA we’re very quick to move the ball and strong on the press. Hopefully we won’t meet that quality in the Champ.

I think we’ll be alright, as in not going down, but it won’t be pretty.

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 23 Jul 2022 17:59

windermereROYAL
Bristol Paul Worryingly awful

It`s a friendly.

That’s ok then

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 23 Jul 2022 18:12

Fox Talbot Bit dispiriting overall.

Obvs acknowledge where BHA are now but it grates that we were in the same promotion race as then just five years ago. They’ve spent a fortune but done it well.

But just three attacks of note for us, four if you include the suicidal penalty, all second half. I worry where the goals will come from. We’re playing a deep 5-4-1 and hitting it long. In midfield Hendrick and Fornah are downgrades on Drinkwater and Laurent. Playing all three of Ejaria, Ince and Hoillet doesn’t work for me. You get much the same out of all of them, a piece of brilliance about once every 6-8 games but no consistent cutting edge. Ejaria does my nut in. Defensively we had an enormous error in us every ten minutes in the first half.

On the bright side thought Lumley looked secure, Meite looked back to fitness and we had a recognisable style of play. As already said by others BHA we’re very quick to move the ball and strong on the press. Hopefully we won’t meet that quality in the Champ.

Good assessment....I'm more positive about this squad now...and the other freebies will be added no doubt?
We should have enough to be safe.
What I worry about is the same as you. Tactically we still look the same bloody team as before with different players.
We seem slow getting the ball forward and indeed getting players forward, drop way too deep at times, we look exactly the same side as the last few seasons. Even in a friendly I would have liked a bit more positivity but it still looks the same.
Let's hope we are braver in league games.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jul 2022 18:41

Fox Talbot Bit dispiriting overall.

Tbf that’s prob what we’re aiming for this year. Not pretty but stay up - will take that at the moment

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 23 Jul 2022 21:30

From Despair To Where? Not a great performance but I think a lot of our problems stemmed from Brighton pressing us quickly and denying us time and space. I don't think many teams in the Championship will press us with that much intensity or quality.

The RTGS are back!

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 22 Sep 2022 16:04

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... l-25083325

Reading FC faced Premier League opposition in Brentford today as the two sides played a behind-closed doors friendly during the international break, with Andy Carroll featuring for the Royals

Yakou Meite was on target for Reading FC in a behind-closed-doors friendly with Premier League side Brentford today (Thursday).

With no game for either side this weekend due to the international break, the two teams played out a 1-1 draw in a behind-closed-doors match at Brentford's Jersey Road training ground.

Carroll and Meite both featured in a Reading team with a mix of youth and experience, with Nesta Guinness-Walker and Dean Bouzanis also among the Royals players to feature.

The Royals took the lead though just before half time, with Yakou Meite meeting a deep free-kick to head the ball past Brentford goalkeeper Ben Winterbottom. Carroll almost doubled Reading's lead as he met a cross from Guinness-Walker, only to see his header glance just wide.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Sep 2022 16:25

morganb https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-brentford-friendly-andy-carroll-25083325

Reading FC faced Premier League opposition in Brentford today as the two sides played a behind-closed doors friendly during the international break, with Andy Carroll featuring for the Royals

Yakou Meite was on target for Reading FC in a behind-closed-doors friendly with Premier League side Brentford today (Thursday).

With no game for either side this weekend due to the international break, the two teams played out a 1-1 draw in a behind-closed-doors match at Brentford's Jersey Road training ground.

Carroll and Meite both featured in a Reading team with a mix of youth and experience, with Nesta Guinness-Walker and Dean Bouzanis also among the Royals players to feature.

The Royals took the lead though just before half time, with Yakou Meite meeting a deep free-kick to head the ball past Brentford goalkeeper Ben Winterbottom. Carroll almost doubled Reading's lead as he met a cross from Guinness-Walker, only to see his header glance just wide.

So, was that a behind closed doors friendly then !

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Sep 2022 17:52

Sutekh
morganb https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-brentford-friendly-andy-carroll-25083325

So, was that a behind closed doors friendly then !

How have they managed five paragraphs out of what should be three sentences!

351 posts