Injury watch 2022/23

808 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Injury watch 2022/23

by Stranded » 09 Jan 2023 13:53

3points With this injury Moore could very easily go out of contract in the summer and not be picked up by another club, given he will be 30. If Ince is still around he may offer him a 2 year deal on, say, £8-9k per week and I think Moore would need to seriously consider that offer, or run the risk of being unemployed or dropping down to League 1 like Gunter and Obita did (and earning a relative pittance in comparison to Reading). Or, again, he ends up at somewhere like Luton or Coventry of £5k per week

The only, absolutely only way Moore gets offered a deal is by being fit, playing and playing so well that he'll get offered a better deal somewhere else. I would be staggered given how much Ince has gone on about the injury crisis here that we would turn round and offer a new deal to a player who has been injured for the period Moore has been and not then had a sustained period in the team or at least the 18.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Jan 2023 14:12

Ejaria, Tetek, Holmes and Fornah have all been pictured in first-team training this morning, only Moore out of the 5 (known) injured players that hasn't been seen. Seems a bit early for Fornah to be back.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Jan 2023 15:12

YorkshireRoyal99 Ejaria, Tetek, Holmes and Fornah have all been pictured in first-team training this morning, only Moore out of the 5 (known) injured players that hasn't been seen. Seems a bit early for Fornah to be back.

Depends what they are doing - if Fornah is just standing round chatting he’s probably going to cope. Woukd be a bit surprised if he’s doing full contact yet though.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Jan 2023 15:41

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99 Ejaria, Tetek, Holmes and Fornah have all been pictured in first-team training this morning, only Moore out of the 5 (known) injured players that hasn't been seen. Seems a bit early for Fornah to be back.

Depends what they are doing - if Fornah is just standing round chatting he’s probably going to cope. Woukd be a bit surprised if he’s doing full contact yet though.

True - the pictures show that they are training in the same area, so it doesn't appear that Fornah has been separated from the group. I'd also be surprised if he's doing full contact, depends what the drill(s) were. Could have just been fitness drills, but I'd still be surprised to see someone doing fitness drills with a knee injury that's expected to keep them out until mid-Feb, particularly with the main group.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 09 Jan 2023 16:38

Fornah's injury was only ever announced as 2-3 weeks, its probably been that

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 09 Jan 2023 19:32

RoyalBlue
South Coast Royal
RoyalBlue
Fully agree. IMO anyone who suggests that a professional football player goes out of their way to avoid playing and is just happy to sit back and earn a large salary for doing nothing really doesn't understand the type of mentality and love of playing the game that is required to get to that level in the first place, let alone stay there.

Winston Bogarde?

One case nearly 20 years ago? Demands of the game have moved on even further since then. And were Moore to have that mindset, I very much doubt he would have played on in games when he had dislocated his shoulder and risk further dislocations by resuming playing too soon after that.

This example was given because of the big sums involved.
I'm sure there have been plenty of others and , more often than expected, I have heard examples on the radio of players who were not that interested in football despite it being their job of work.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 10 Jan 2023 08:58

South Coast Royal
RoyalBlue
South Coast Royal
Winston Bogarde?

One case nearly 20 years ago? Demands of the game have moved on even further since then. And were Moore to have that mindset, I very much doubt he would have played on in games when he had dislocated his shoulder and risk further dislocations by resuming playing too soon after that.

This example was given because of the big sums involved.
I'm sure there have been plenty of others and , more often than expected, I have heard examples on the radio of players who were not that interested in football despite it being their job of work.

Sure, I've heard of a few players who say they don't particularly like football, don't watch it in their free time and don't intend going into coaching afterwards. I would say that is very rare these days, the scrutiny over every single aspect of a footballer's life (in the upper tiers anyway) means that you have to be either extremely professional to stick it out or really love it, or both.

And clearly Moore, as said already, isn't a shirker, given how many games he played with an injury.

What is relatively common is a player getting injured straight away with a muscle injury after a long time out.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 10 Jan 2023 09:42

During this long running injury stint, do we know if Moore ever had his shoulder operated on to sort out his long running problem in that area?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Jan 2023 09:48

Latest from JLow in the EP this morning:

Name - Injury - Current expected return

1. EJARIA, Ovie - Knee - Queens Park Rangers (h) - 14 January 23
  2. FORNAH, Tyrese - Queens Park Rangers (h) - 14 January 23
  3. HOLMES, Tom - Illness - Queens Park Rangers (h) - 14 January 23
  4. MOORE, Liam - Hamstring - Blackpool (h) - 25 February 23
  5. TETEK, Dejan - Hamstring - Queens Park Rangers (h) - 14 January 23

Holmes, Ejaria, Tetek and Fornah apparently all trained yesterday.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Jan 2023 09:52

morganb During this long running injury stint, do we know if Moore ever had his shoulder operated on to sort out his long running problem in that area?

Yeah, I think he did last year, which extended his initial comeback timeline.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jan 2023 09:56

Sutekh Latest from JLow in the EP this morning:

Name - Injury - Current expected return

2. FORNAH, Tyrese - Queens Park Rangers (h) - 14 January 23
  4. MOORE, Liam - Hamstring - Blackpool (h) - 25 February 23

Holmes, Ejaria, Tetek and Fornah apparently all trained yesterday.

So full squad other than Moore. Tough decisions for ince to make then :)

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2023 09:59

Get the feeling that the likes of Tetek, Ejaria and Azeez might be missing from the matchday squad. Could be someone like Fornah missing as well who might not be up to speed yet and might not be worth risking.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jan 2023 10:34

I’d have thought Tetek is way away from making the squad tbh

Be disappointed if Azeez isn’t there. No need to rush Ejaria and Fornah so expect both will get another week before being genuinely in contention

Thought Hutch looked well off the pace against Watford tbh but guess another weeks training will help

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2023 10:43

Yeah think Hutchinson will be there as he still needs the fitness, which Ince was alluding to in his post-match presser against Watford, hence why we only gave him 45 so we need to build him up.

Agree on Fornah and Ejaria, although I think might Ince might drop Ejaria regardless due to his previous disciplinary issues and I'm not sure he fits the current squad and how we play. It's a lot of (potential) talent to drop, but it's not as if we can rely on him and I think Ince prefers those type of players, committed and reliable.

I'd be disappointed to see Azeez miss out as well. I genuinely think there is an argument to say that Ejaria, Joao and Moore (when fit) would not make a matchday squad, which will account for a massive chunk of our wage bill just sat there not doing anything. I'm not in the anti-Joao camp, I just think there is an argument to suggest that a matchday squad consisting of Carroll, Meite, Long and Azeez would be more popular amongst a lot of fans.

Edited here, for the record, I wouldn't drop Joao from our squad personally speaking, I just think some/a lot of fans would.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jan 2023 11:19

I wouldn’t even consider dropping Joao from the squad. Just one of those players who attract criticism but his record speaks for itself

We’re not really sure of what has gone behind the scenes with Ejaria. Though ince won’t play him if he still has a poor attitude, no doubts about that. Personally would like to see him put it behind him and work his backside off to get back in the team - then he is well worth a place Imo

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 10 Jan 2023 18:13

Hound I wouldn’t even consider dropping Joao from the squad. Just one of those players who attract criticism but his record speaks for itself

We’re not really sure of what has gone behind the scenes with Ejaria. Though ince won’t play him if he still has a poor attitude, no doubts about that. Personally would like to see him put it behind him and work his backside off to get back in the team - then he is well worth a place Imo

Yep its an interesting one in the same way he wasn't available all winter last year and we never found out why. I don't think the recent issue was attitude, Ince has said more than once he trains really well.

Could be time keeping or something I reckon

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2023 18:17

Mid Sussex Royal
Hound I wouldn’t even consider dropping Joao from the squad. Just one of those players who attract criticism but his record speaks for itself

Yep its an interesting one in the same way he wasn't available all winter last year and we never found out why. I don't think the recent issue was attitude, Ince has said more than once he trains really well.

I'd argue if his time keeping isn't up to scratch, or for example he refused to / complained about play in the Unders or sit on the bench, or play a specific role that's still attitude. Regardless of whether the work he puts into the training ground is hard or not.

But ultimately, if he was good enough it wouldn't stop him playing. Kirson had a notoriously bad attitude to training, but he still played every week and was usually top scorer.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 11 Jan 2023 00:56

Snowflake Royal
Mid Sussex Royal

I'd argue if his time keeping isn't up to scratch, or for example he refused to / complained about play in the Unders or sit on the bench, or play a specific role that's still attitude. Regardless of whether the work he puts into the training ground is hard or not.

But ultimately, if he was good enough it wouldn't stop him playing. Kirson had a notoriously bad attitude to training, but he still played every week and was usually top scorer.

Ince very specifically said he trains well.

My completely uninformed speculation is that it might just be down to his weird anti Vax covid attitude. He got called out just before the squad were about to fly to Tenerife. There's never been any other bad marks around him before this so who knows.

Ince specifically also said it was around attitudes to teammates.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2023 08:46

Vision
Snowflake Royal
Mid Sussex Royal

Ince very specifically said he trains well.

My completely uninformed speculation is that it might just be down to his weird anti Vax covid attitude. He got called out just before the squad were about to fly to Tenerife. There's never been any other bad marks around him before this so who knows.

Ince specifically also said it was around attitudes to teammates.

Yeah, I know Ince said he trains well.

He seems a massively sulky bugger, so covid / team attitudes seems about right.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Jan 2023 18:56

Moore injury apparently not as bad a feared:

Name - Injury - Game expected back - Date

2. FORNAH, Tyrese - Manchester United (a) - 28 January 23
  4. MOORE, Liam - Hamstring - Sunderland (a) - 11 February 23

808 posts