Confirmed - Lumley Signs

121 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Confirmed - Lumley Signs

by Zip » 19 Jun 2022 22:40

Snowflake Royal For all of us complaining about the errors from last season’s keepers, looks like we can expect to be complaining about a whole load more howlers.

There were a LOT of dreadful errors in there. I don’t just mean unlucky, could have done better or left stranded. I mean absolute howlers.

We'll see how he plays, but this could be worse business than Virginia based on that 'highlights' reel and the boro fan reviews of him.

Southwood’s “highlights” would be nowhere near as scary.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jun 2022 07:44

Snowflake Royal For all of us complaining about the errors from last season’s keepers, looks like we can expect to be complaining about a whole load more howlers.

There were a LOT of dreadful errors in there. I don’t just mean unlucky, could have done better or left stranded. I mean absolute howlers.

We'll see how he plays, but this could be worse business than Virginia based on that 'highlights' reel and the boro fan reviews of him.

Or he could be our next "legend" GK - who knows.

Yep, some glaring errors but need to understand how they happened. Does he have a slight concentration issue - which means in a better team he has switched off at times as his side are more dominant in games? If he is likely to be busier here then hopefully that isn't an issue.

Lets just wait and see how he goes - am fairly confident he'll be OK but my main concern is if he throws one in in the first game or two, then there will be a lot of people on his back immediately. He's going to make a cock-up, every keeper does but I just think we are already in danger of people getting at him straight away.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jun 2022 08:11

Zip

Southwood’s “highlights” would be nowhere near as scary.

I didn’t want to be the one to actively say it as one of Southwood's main defenders. But I whole heartedly agree. He looks woeful.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jun 2022 08:16

Yeah you have to look at the Boro supporters in this case, they are pretty unanimous. They see him week in and week out and as far as I am aware there hasn't been any conflict with Lumley in terms of him slagging them off etc, don't think they have any reason to discredit him other than his ability.

He is our goalkeeper now and we are stuck with him, doesn't mean any of us have to like it though.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 20 Jun 2022 08:16

Stranded

Yep, some glaring errors but need to understand how they happened. Does he have a slight concentration issue - which means in a better team he has switched off at times as his side are more dominant in games? If he is likely to be busier here then hopefully that isn't an issue.

Lets just wait and see how he goes - am fairly confident he'll be OK but my main concern is if he throws one in in the first game or two, then there will be a lot of people on his back immediately. He's going to make a cock-up, every keeper does but I just think we are already in danger of people getting at him straight away.

I agree with this. I am pretty sure Bowen and Ince know his shortfalls and maybe with the right coaching they feel that they can reduce his errors. If Southwood leaves I wouldn’t be surprised if we sign a much more experienced older keeper as backup who may also be used as a coach.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jun 2022 08:17

blythspartan
Stranded

I agree with this. I am pretty sure Bowen and Ince know his shortfalls and maybe with the right coaching they feel that they can reduce his errors. If Southwood leaves I wouldn’t be surprised if we sign a much more experienced older keeper as backup who may also be used as a coach.

Or we were desperate and Lumley was the only affordable keeper with a bit of height out there?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jun 2022 08:22

blythspartan
Stranded

We can't afford to bloat the squad with keepers. We've got limited spaces and barely any midfield or left backs.

We currently have four including Southwood. Maybe if he goes and one of Boyce-Clarke or Andresson go out on loan.

Mind you, if those lowlights and the boro fans are anything to go by we'll be signing a new No 1 or have Andresson starting by mid-September.

Shocked to see stranded looking on the bright side despite the evidence pointing the other way. :lol:

Ince's only track record on keepers here is signing Nyland. Not exactly promising.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 20 Jun 2022 08:29

NathStPaul
blythspartan
Stranded

Or we were desperate and Lumley was the only affordable keeper with a bit of height out there?

Yes possibly, but we’ll never really know. We have made him our first signing and you’d hope that we have done our due diligence. Honestly, I’d have preferred someone like Foster and I am far from enamoured with Lumley but recognise that more than ever we need to get behind the whole team next season.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jun 2022 08:38

blythspartan
NathStPaul
blythspartan

Yes possibly, but we’ll never really know. We have made him our first signing and you’d hope that we have done our due diligence. Honestly, I’d have preferred someone like Foster and I am far from enamoured with Lumley but recognise that more than ever we need to get behind the whole team next season.

Or maybe the team need to prove they are worthy of getting behind?

Our supporters are pretty patient and kind on the whole, we are also quite easily pleased. All we ask for from the players is for them to give it a good go and provide a bit of entertainment, I don't think anyone sensible is expecting us to challenge for promotion next season, the bar is pretty low in terms of expectations. Too often last season the players downed tools and let us down, we repaid them by not going to games in large numbers.

In short, the players need to set the tone next season and play on the front foot and give each game a real big effort. We all know our squad likely won't be as strong but if we get the right group together there is no reason why we can't be a comfortable midtable side. Look at Coventry, Luton or Blackpool. No great individuals but strong squads in terms of their mentality and work ethic. If our players demonstrate they are together and on the same page early doors then we really will get behind the team.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jun 2022 08:47

Luton, Blackpool and Coventry are all now stable, well run clubs, whereas we aren't, it does play a big part in the on-the-pitch performance.

I wouldn't say we were desperate for Lumley either. If reports are to be believed, and Lumley himself, they've mentioned that talks have been ongoing for over a month (or since the end of the season in Lumley's words) so it's obviously someone that we have identified to come in and improve our goalkeeping situation who was available and affordable, which is exactly how I'd hope our transfers would be conducted.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Jun 2022 08:49

NathStPaul
blythspartan
NathStPaul Or we were desperate and Lumley was the only affordable keeper with a bit of height out there?

Our supporters are pretty patient and kind on the whole, we are also quite easily pleased. All we ask for from the players is for them to give it a good go and provide a bit of entertainment, I don't think anyone sensible is expecting us to challenge for promotion next season, the bar is pretty low in terms of expectations. Too often last season the players downed tools and let us down, we repaid them by not going to games in large numbers.

In short, the players need to set the tone next season and play on the front foot and give each game a real big effort. We all know our squad likely won't be as strong but if we get the right group together there is no reason why we can't be a comfortable midtable side. Look at Coventry, Luton or Blackpool. No great individuals but strong squads in terms of their mentality and work ethic. If our players demonstrate they are together and on the same page early doors then we really will get behind the team.

And that nicely encapsulates the problem.....

Sitting back and saying ‘I’ll support you when you earn my support’ is absolutely the wrong way round.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jun 2022 08:55

Nameless
NathStPaul
blythspartan

Sitting back and saying ‘I’ll support you when you earn my support’ is absolutely the wrong way round.

But that is how Reading supporters are. We are the most fairweather support in the Football League. Didn't used to be that way in past times but since 2005 we have needed something to be impressed by or stayed away, attendance figures back that up. It isn't going to change as much as it hurts your feelings.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jun 2022 09:01

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan
Stranded

We can't afford to bloat the squad with keepers. We've got limited spaces and barely any midfield or left backs.

We currently have four including Southwood. Maybe if he goes and one of Boyce-Clarke or Andresson go out on loan.

Mind you, if those lowlights and the boro fans are anything to go by we'll be signing a new No 1 or have Andresson starting by mid-September.

Shocked to see stranded looking on the bright side despite the evidence pointing the other way. :lol:

Ince's only track record on keepers here is signing Nyland. Not exactly promising.

Yep shock horror - I'm not judging a player until he has played for us. As has been mentioned before, you look at some of our keeper signings who went on to be good for us and on signing a lot would have been aghast. Al Habsi was a clown, Hahnemann was 3rd or 4th choice at Fulham and not rated at all by the fans there, Hislop signed from the US college system - there are probably more.

I will never get the outlook of slagging off or writing off a signing before he has even had a training session with us. If he turns out to be shocking, then fair enough, but there are so many variables that can make a keeper play poorly that simply changing clubs may make that difference - perhaps he was living away from family and was struggling as a result? I don't know and his past career is not really of any interest to me.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Jun 2022 09:03

NathStPaul
Nameless
NathStPaul Or maybe the team need to prove they are worthy of getting behind?

But that is how Reading supporters are. We are the most fairweather support in the Football League. Didn't used to be that way in past times but since 2005 we have needed something to be impressed by or stayed away, attendance figures back that up. It isn't going to change as much as it hurts your feelings.

Nonsense (and I’m sure you know it).
My comment was aimed at your belief that you’ll back the team if they ‘deserve’ it. Shocking.
Every club has a % who go and watch a successful team, it’s inevitable.
At least the1871 crowd understand support a bit better.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jun 2022 09:10

Nameless
NathStPaul
Nameless

Nonsense (and I’m sure you know it).
My comment was aimed at your belief that you’ll back the team if they ‘deserve’ it. Shocking.
Every club has a % who go and watch a successful team, it’s inevitable.
At least the1871 crowd understand support a bit better.

I didn't say anything about me, I was referring to the fanbase as a whole. Have a look at the previous seasons, our supporters stay away when times are hard and I am not sure how you can dispute that.

Nobody cares about Club 1871 or is discussing them, of course they will be there regardless. Each and every club in the country has that pocket of support. 1000 people in a 24,000 seat stadium guaranteed to be there, big deal. You see in the midweek matches just how low our hardcore support it, it is around the 8000 mark. There are another 8000 'floating' supporters out there who drift in and out depending on success.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jun 2022 09:26

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan
Stranded

CBC and Andresson have rarely featured for our first team, I'm not sure I'd include them as part of our "squad" as they are coming through. I'd say we have 2 keepers at this point, Lumley and Southwood. We could easily integrate one of CBC or Andresson to our squad and send the other our on loan.

Not sure about the limited spaces either, as far as I can see, we can have a squad of 25 just like everyone else unless that's changed?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Jun 2022 09:46

Trying to be positive so... he can only be better than we're expecting.

Welcome.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 20 Jun 2022 09:54

Firstly, welcome to our new player and I wish him every success whilst playing for RFC.

It has to be said that there are some posters on here who are so negative about everything the club does that a new signing gets slagged off within 12 hours of joining! Unblievable really.

Pre-season hasn't begun, every player - including Lumley - has a clean sheet and will, no doubt be judged according to their performances whilst playing in OUR shirt, not Boro's. So get a bit of perspective or else you are in for a very long, very frustrating season.

I would also add that, if we are chasing an injury time equaliser he will add to our aeriel threat (he should have scored against us last season!)

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Jun 2022 09:58

To be fair to him, I believe he was asked to play as sweeper-keeper apparently which didn't suit him. I trust we won't be doing that here.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 20 Jun 2022 10:53

Welcome to Joe Lumley. Some of the comments are utterly ridiculous. Looks like the negative brigade have their first victim already. I have also seen an alternative highlights reel where he has made some outstanding saves.

He has multiple Player of the month awards at his various loan clubs, kept 9 clean sheets in 17 games when at Blackpool and we have signed a keeper from a team who were challenging for the play offs. He is also a great club ambassador and does a lot of community work.

Welcome Joe - hope you are a great success.

121 posts