Squad Watch 2022/23

1554 posts
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Squad Watch 2022/23

by paultheroyal » 07 Aug 2022 21:16

Snowflake Royal That's a lot of CBs... Holmes, McIntyre, Dann, Hutchinson, Sarr, Moore, AN Other, then back up from Yiadom, Clarke, Stickland and Abbey.

I know we're playing 3, but that's excessive.

It is if what you posted was / is going to be factually correct.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Aug 2022 21:43

Snowflake Royal That's a lot of CBs... Holmes, McIntyre, Dann, Hutchinson, Sarr, Moore, AN Other, then back up from Yiadom, Clarke, Stickland and Abbey.

As Nameless mentioned, I wouldn't include Moore as we expect him to depart and I wouldn't anticipate anyone from Yiadom onwards (from your list) to be involved all that much over the course of the season, so it would effectively leave us with Holmes, TMac, Hutchinson, Sarr, Dann and another, which is fine I'd say.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Aug 2022 23:01

YorkshireRoyal99

As Nameless mentioned, I wouldn't include Moore as we expect him to depart and I wouldn't anticipate anyone from Yiadom onwards (from your list) to be involved all that much over the course of the season, so it would effectively leave us with Holmes, TMac, Hutchinson, Sarr, Dann and another, which is fine I'd say.

Whilst I don't think Moore will play, he's still on our books.

Clarke, Stickland and Abbey are fine as 6th choice behind Holmes, McIntyre, Sarr, Hutch and Yiadom. Assuming Dann is never fit.

We need to fix the injury issues, not massively bloat the squad having just got it under control again.

If you can’t use promising Academy lads as 5th / 6th / 7th choice, what's the point in them.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Aug 2022 08:39

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Clarke, Stickland and Abbey are fine as 6th choice behind Holmes, McIntyre, Sarr, Hutch and Yiadom. Assuming Dann is never fit.

We need to fix the injury issues, not massively bloat the squad having just got it under control again.

If you can’t use promising Academy lads as 5th / 6th / 7th choice, what's the point in them.

Ideally I wouldn't want Yiadom as one of our options, I'd rather have a more natural CB there personally speaking.

It's not that they wouldn't do well in the squad, I just can't see them being involved that much over the course of the season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Aug 2022 08:41

I’d be fine with Clarke, Stickland or Abbey getting the odd game. Clarke particularly seems to be doing well

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 08 Aug 2022 08:54

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

It's not that they wouldn't do well in the squad, I just can't see them being involved that much over the course of the season.

I’m not convinced a squad of around 23 is bloated, let alone massively bloated......

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Aug 2022 10:25

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Ideally I wouldn't want Yiadom as one of our options, I'd rather have a more natural CB there personally speaking.

They're certainly not going to be involved if we sign a 6th / 7th senior centreback.

We're doing fine with Yiadom slotting in at the moment. And Hoilett / Abrefa doing fine at RWB.

You have to start trusting them at some point, or just sack off the whole Academy.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Aug 2022 11:31

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Whilst I don't think Moore will play, he's still on our books.

They're certainly not going to be involved if we sign a 6th / 7th senior centreback.

We're doing fine with Yiadom slotting in at the moment. And Hoilett / Abrefa doing fine at RWB.

You have to start trusting them at some point, or just sack off the whole Academy.

It was more the principle of, we'd ideally want 2 senior/good enough players for each position, so if we are playing with 3 CB's, then we'd want 6. I know it doesn't always practically work like that though but that's what we should be aiming for really.

Not to say that Abbey, Stickland and whoever else couldn't do well enough, it was just something I felt we may end up getting before the window is closed. It's not as much a priority as a LB though for instance.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Aug 2022 12:17

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

It was more the principle of, we'd ideally want 2 senior/good enough players for each position, so if we are playing with 3 CB's, then we'd want 6. I know it doesn't always practically work like that though but that's what we should be aiming for really.

Not to say that Abbey, Stickland and whoever else couldn't do well enough, it was just something I felt we may end up getting before the window is closed. It's not as much a priority as a LB though for instance.

Agree on the last point, though with BOO in the wings, and Dann and Sarr fit / available soon hopefully, that frees up McIntyre a little as back up.

I'm happy with our business, some of the players we could hope for different, still don't think we needed 2 goalies, but we've filled the holes. Striker if Puscas goes and I'm happy.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 08 Aug 2022 13:28

Also, Holmes provides cover for RB if Yiadom is injured

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Aug 2022 13:58

3points Also, Holmes provides cover for RB if Yiadom is injured

Not if he's already playing CB he doesn't :wink:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 08 Aug 2022 14:04

Franchise FC
3points Also, Holmes provides cover for RB if Yiadom is injured

Not if he's already playing CB he doesn't :wink:

LAurent can play centre back though....

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Aug 2022 15:28

I'd be busting a gut to get Moore out of the club before the end of August because he would then be available to sign for anyone else outside the window. Offer him £750,000 and a commitment to cover his rehab costs. We're stuck with him until at least January otherwise and with 6 months left on his contract, there may be little incentive to move.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Aug 2022 15:52

From Despair To Where? I'd be busting a gut to get Moore out of the club before the end of August because he would then be available to sign for anyone else outside the window. Offer him £750,000 and a commitment to cover his rehab costs. We're stuck with him until at least January otherwise and with 6 months left on his contract, there may be little incentive to move.

Not sure what the financial implications that would be with the EFL though. It may be one of those where we would have to sell Puscas, say for £2m, to bring some funds in to do that, so it could be something that happens late in the window. No idea though really, it's just a thought.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Aug 2022 17:20

Well, he'll be earning £1.75m for the season, which is over 10% of our budget. If he's not fit, we have no chance of selling or loaning him before the close of the window and then we are stuck with him until at least January. If we can pay him off up til January, we save half his wages, which could finance the signing of 2 players on £8k/w and he has a chance of getting a team as soon as he regains fitness as he's a free agent.

Not saying he would agree to it, mind.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 08 Aug 2022 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Aug 2022 17:21

I’ve no doubts they are doing their best to get rid of him and have been for ages

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Aug 2022 17:28

Oh, I know but if he's here at the end of the window, it writes off any chance of him playing this year and we may see him sitting on his contract until next July.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Aug 2022 17:50

Pretty resigned to that anyway tbh. Maybe a chance he’ll piss off on Jan with a small payout if some other champ club decides to offer him a 2 year deal or something. Or we loan him again and pay most of his wage (prob the latter)

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Aug 2022 20:48

Yeah I'd love for us to be able to pay him off which can benefit us massively for the remainder of the season, I just can't see that being the case. To be fair, when you're injured and unable to play until the back end of the calendar year, you'd be pretty happy to prop your family up with £30k a week and very likely the best contract he will get.

I do think a loan move is still more likely, potentially in January with someone paying a decent amount of his wages, depending on where he goes.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Aug 2022 22:10

Be interesting to see the goals conceded tonight by Southwood. 8 shots on target and let 7 in.

11 goals conceded in 3 games. Ouch.

1554 posts