Squad Watch 2022/23

1554 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Squad Watch 2022/23

by Stranded » 14 Aug 2022 07:19

Hound We don’t have a good squad. We have an ok first 18 who can possibly compete at the lower end of the division

Exactly, we have a squad who could finish around 14th, higher with a lot of luck.

Realistically this squad is around 18th if we can actually field a side. Results like yesterday are unacceptable but sadly likely to happen occasionally.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Aug 2022 08:46

What other club in the division put out anything like the team we did yesterday? 6 teenagers on the bench etc?

Going to be a long hard season whatever happens with the injuries

Tbh the cardiff win was a bonus as will any other points we pick up until we have Sarr, Hutch, Meite and Joao back. And after that there’ll still be a few thrashings along the way

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Aug 2022 07:59

For the life of me I can`t get my head around why they wasted a wage that could be used elsewhere and a squad place on that walking crock Scott Dann, who the fuck makes the critical decisions at this club?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Aug 2022 10:57

windermereROYAL For the life of me I can`t get my head around why they wasted a wage that could be used elsewhere and a squad place on that walking crock Scott Dann, who the fuck makes the critical decisions at this club?

Did anyone ask the management at the Fans Forum about why they went down the Dann route instead of trying to re-sign Morrison?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Aug 2022 11:00

Sutekh
windermereROYAL For the life of me I can`t get my head around why they wasted a wage that could be used elsewhere and a squad place on that walking crock Scott Dann, who the fuck makes the critical decisions at this club?

Did anyone ask the management at the Fans Forum about why they went down the Dann route instead of trying to re-sign Morrison?

Pretty unlikely. letting Morro go without getting an adequate replacement was a travesty.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Aug 2022 16:26

windermereROYAL
Sutekh

Pretty unlikely. letting Morro go without getting an adequate replacement was a travesty.

Once we signed Dann, I don’t think we had a choice. Can't have both.

In an ideal world, I think I'd have kept Holmes and Morrison. And tried to bring in two new CBs with a bit of pace, at least one of which has some experience. Although that requires us to actually sign players to fit that requirement.

Bit harsh on McIntyre, who I've generally thought of as better than Holmes, but his injury record firmly plays against him.

Instead, I think we offered deals and re-signed the two crocks first. Might be wrong. And McIntyre has been the weaker of him and Holmes so far this season imo. Very early on of course.

There is not a shadow of a doubt in my mind that offering Dann an extension was a dreadful decision.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Aug 2022 16:39

Sutekh

I think the question was asked.
I think the answer was that the decision was made before any of the current management were in place.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Aug 2022 16:56

Like pretty much everyone else, I was a big fan of Morro but it really was a season too far last year

Wouldn’t have kept either him or Dann. Or at least wouldn’t have re -signed Dann back in March or whenever it was

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 16 Aug 2022 16:58

Nameless
Sutekh

I think the answer was that the decision was made before any of the current management were in place.

I think it was also said that as they knew a lot of players were out of contract and likely off they needed a signing or two.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Aug 2022 17:15

Nameless
Sutekh

Ince took over on 20 February. Dann was reported to have signed the new contract on 4 March.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Aug 2022 19:04

According to JLow Puscas to Como is far from done as the player has still to decide who to join.
This is just going to run and run. Can see this going on until deadline day.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Aug 2022 07:50

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Sutekh

Ince took over on 20 February. Dann was reported to have signed the new contract on 4 March.

Doesn’t change the answer to the question.
And ignores the fact that Ince took over on a very short term caretaker basis.....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Aug 2022 08:31

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

And ignores the fact that Ince took over on a very short term caretaker basis.....

Just adding facts as context. Made no judgments

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Aug 2022 09:05

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal Ince took over on 20 February. Dann was reported to have signed the new contract on 4 March.

Just adding facts as context. Made no judgments

lucky I add the context then , just to avoid anyone inferring any judgement ......

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 19 Aug 2022 10:47

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sour ... ucas-joao/

- West Brom are working on a deal to sign Reading striker Lucas Joao.

- The 28-year-old is in the final year of his Royals contract and they could be forced to sell him in the next fortnight.

West Brom have registered their interest in Joao, whose future at Reading has been the subject of speculation all summer.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 19 Aug 2022 10:50

Just seen a few twitter rumours regards Joao to WBA. One year left on contract and a high earner. He most likely wont sign a new deal on the terms we could give him.
Anything above 8m plus good sell on clause / promotion clause I would say would be goods business.

Getting Joao and Puscas wages off the books would definitely free up good amount to replace with quality.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Aug 2022 10:55

morganb https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-west-brom-make-move-to-sign-reading-star-lucas-joao/

- West Brom are working on a deal to sign Reading striker Lucas Joao.

- The 28-year-old is in the final year of his Royals contract and they could be forced to sell him in the next fortnight.

West Brom have registered their interest in Joao, whose future at Reading has been the subject of speculation all summer.

This would be a huge blow but if they offer a big fee then as long as we have time to get others in it may work out

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 19 Aug 2022 11:03

Joao to WBA very unlikely I would think. If there has been any consistency in our transfer policy in the last few years, rightly or wrongly, it is that we don't sell players that are important to the team's success whatever stage of their contract they are at.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Aug 2022 11:10

Why would we be forced to sell him? Bowen has already said he won’t be sold as we can’t use the transfer fee

A really big offer could change that of course but would be very surprised. We’d then need to find a quality forward on a free/loan to replace

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Aug 2022 12:31

Personally think we'd be daft to refuse £10m. But we all know Dai refuses to sell his trophy players.

At least this time we can't give him a 5 year contract on a PL wage after refusing to sell.

Think, for example, Long and Puscas could be an effective partnership.

1554 posts