by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jul 2022 20:38

….and another fine example of “posting styles”

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Squad Watch 2022/23

by Pepe the Horseman » 05 Jul 2022 20:46

The Royal Forester
Zip Hoilett has signed a new deal. Good news imo

So has Kelvin Ehbhatiomhan (I stil can't pronounce it, though)!

Sounded spot on to me.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jul 2022 20:47

Pepe the Horseman
The Royal Forester
Zip Hoilett has signed a new deal. Good news imo

So has Kelvin Ehbhatiomhan (I stil can't pronounce it, though)!

Sounded spot on to me.
yep, adding to the ‘positive pile-on’ happy with them.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Jul 2022 20:53

Long update:

We are miles apart in wage demands. He would love to come home but he can get 3 times as much from other teams circling and it’s more than QPR who are now in the mix.

Prepare yourselves for disappointment. I think that ship has well and truly sailed.

Genuine post and comment from me coming from a strong source.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jul 2022 20:58

No surprise….money talks. He owes us nothing, not much left at Reading that he would appreciate or recognise.

Fair play to him.
Last edited by AthleticoSpizz on 05 Jul 2022 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 05 Jul 2022 20:59

Good luck to him if he gets more money elsewhere. Quite why anyone would want to join this basket case of a club remains to be seen.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 05 Jul 2022 21:13

RG30 Good luck to him if he gets more money elsewhere. Quite why anyone would want to join this basket case of a club remains to be seen.

And that's the issue. Salary caps, potential relegation, hardly looking like a team that's gonna set the world alight....tis looking grim. Even Derby seemed to be linked with some decent players.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 05 Jul 2022 21:23

NathStPaul
Zip
NathStPaul Calm down Zip, I said the exact opposite the other day. I was just trying to get a bite off of Yorkshire Royal.

The fact I said “ don’t be ridiculous OMA” should have made you realise I wasn’t exactly hot under the collar.

I thought i was getting a bloody good scalding. I'll resign with immediate effect.

Updates spreadsheet, NSP is not a Tory politican :wink:

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 05 Jul 2022 22:30

Ascotexgunner
RG30 Good luck to him if he gets more money elsewhere. Quite why anyone would want to join this basket case of a club remains to be seen.

And that's the issue. Salary caps, potential relegation, hardly looking like a team that's gonna set the world alight....tis looking grim. Even Derby seemed to be linked with some decent players.

It’s more important that we sign a left back and some midfielders rather than Long. I am still glass half full and reckon that we’ll have a competitive team by the time we play Blackpool. Granted it won’t be easy but I am glad we’re sticking to the rules.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 05 Jul 2022 23:19

blythspartan
Ascotexgunner

It’s more important that we sign a left back and some midfielders rather than Long. I am still glass half full and reckon that we’ll have a competitive team by the time we play Blackpool. Granted it won’t be easy but I am glad we’re sticking to the rules.

I'm not sure if it's really a case of either/or with the EFL restrictions. Given how many players have come off the books I can't imagine that we'd hit the squad limit they've given us - and the salary restriction is an individual salary cap, not a total one (I think). So if Long had accepted our offer it shouldn't really impact whether we could offer other players contracts at the same limit.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Jul 2022 00:41

Elm Park Kid
blythspartan
Ascotexgunner

I'm not sure if it's really a case of either/or with the EFL restrictions. Given how many players have come off the books I can't imagine that we'd hit the squad limit they've given us - and the salary restriction is an individual salary cap, not a total one (I think). So if Long had accepted our offer it shouldn't really impact whether we could offer other players contracts at the same limit.

There is a total salary budget and a limit on what we can pay individuals. We don’t know what that individual limit is so it’s hard to know how the two relate.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Jul 2022 08:35

Nameless
Elm Park Kid
blythspartan

There is a total salary budget and a limit on what we can pay individuals. We don’t know what that individual limit is so it’s hard to know how the two relate.

Yeah its a 16m total but the wording is ambigous on individual salaries just that new signings have to have a wage that averages out at an agreed amount but also suggests we can't pay any individual over another agreed amount.

So for example, the average wage may be 8.5k per week but we may be allowed to pay an individual 10k as long as we pay someone else just 7 to balance it out but is very unclear to us as fans.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Jul 2022 08:47

Stranded
Nameless
Elm Park Kid

Yeah its a 16m total but the wording is ambigous on individual salaries just that new signings have to have a wage that averages out at an agreed amount but also suggests we can't pay any individual over another agreed amount.

So for example, the average wage may be 8.5k per week but we may be allowed to pay an individual 10k as long as we pay someone else just 7 to balance it out but is very unclear to us as fans.

Agreed, it’s confusing.
Much depends on when the averages are calculated !
It also could mean that getting approval for signings could depend on the sequence we make the requests. If we get the cheaper signings in first we will be getting well under the average, leaving scope for the more expensive signings to come in later and not push the average over the agreed level.
If we sign the most expensive players first we’d inevitably be going above the agreed average figure and may therefore get the signings rejected by the EFL....

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Jul 2022 08:52

Nameless
Stranded
Nameless

Agreed, it’s confusing.
It also could mean that getting approval for signings could depend on the sequence we make the requests. If we get the cheaper signings in first we will be getting well under the average, leaving scope for the more expensive signings to come in later and not push the average over the agreed level.
If we sign the most expensive players first we’d inevitably be going above the agreed average figure and may therefore get the signings rejected by the EFL....

It would also depend on outgoings as well. Hypothetically, if we were to move Moore on this summer it would make life a lot easier for us to bring other players in with the average salary potentially being improved.

Would terminating Moore's contract be classed as "paying a fee"? If it's not would it make more sense to pay him off the rest of his deal so he becomes a free agent which may free us up to be able to bring in another 2-4 players.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 06 Jul 2022 08:55

We aren't going to be moving Liam Moore anywhere. He will sit at home for another year collecting a pay cheque, as is his right. Very best we'd be able to do is get him fit and then loan him out somewhere in January with the loaning club paying some of his wages for 5 months.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Jul 2022 09:17

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
Stranded

Agreed, it’s confusing.

It would also depend on outgoings as well. Hypothetically, if we were to move Moore on this summer it would make life a lot easier for us to bring other players in with the average salary potentially being improved.

Would terminating Moore's contract be classed as "paying a fee"? If it's not would it make more sense to pay him off the rest of his deal so he becomes a free agent which may free us up to be able to bring in another 2-4 players.

If we pay up his wages, it still comes off the wages budget as it's wages. Doesn't matter if it is a lump sum now or paid monthly through June next year. The only saving is if we persuade him to leave and take say 50% of his contract - that isn't going to happen.

One thing to consider of course as well, is the later we sign a player the less impact on the wage bill there is - not saying that should be a massive consideration as going in to the season weaker to save a few pennies is pointless.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Jul 2022 09:44

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
Stranded

Agreed, it’s confusing.

If we could move Moore then it would give us more headroom in the budget but I don’t think it would change the average salary restriction as that seems to be a fixed number not a floating one.
Hard to see Moore moving though. We need to get him fit and playing but would be surprised if that happened. Paying up his contract would make sense in terms of just drawing the sad situation to a close.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jul 2022 11:53

paultheroyal Long update:

We are miles apart in wage demands. He would love to come home but he can get 3 times as much from other teams circling and it’s more than QPR who are now in the mix.

Prepare yourselves for disappointment. I think that ship has well and truly sailed.

It’s a real concern that we are going to miss out on a number of players we are being linked with. This does not surprise me. If League One sides are also outbidding us then we are going to have to rely on loan deals. If he can earn three times as much elsewhere we have no chance.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Jul 2022 12:34

Zip

It’s a real concern that we are going to miss out on a number of players we are being linked with. This does not surprise me. If League One sides are also outbidding us then we are going to have to rely on loan deals. If he can earn three times as much elsewhere we have no chance.

We have absolutely nothing to suggest we are being outbid for any players from L1. If you mean Cadden, there isn't even anything to suggest we were in for him bar one tweet.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 06 Jul 2022 12:36

Stranded
Zip

We have absolutely nothing to suggest we are being outbid for any players from L1. If you mean Cadden, there isn't even anything to suggest we were in for him bar one tweet.

Would also say that even if we were it wouldn't have been a case of being outbid as such, just not paying over the odds. If Barnsley want to blow their budget on a League 2 left back then that is their bad luck.
Last edited by NathStPaul on 06 Jul 2022 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

1554 posts