1554 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Squad Watch 2022/23

by Stranded » 16 Jan 2023 09:20

YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded
3points The key is the in the same league or above. So, Long and Carroll clearly have played in the Prem. Hutch and Sarr played plenty of Champ football. however, both NGW and Bouzanis may not make the criteria as their careers have been at lower league level. I assume Mbengue’s games in France make him a permitted player.

And the starts have to be in league football, and not cup competitions, which means a lot of our academy players didn’t make the definition of 3 starts before the beginning of the season.

Yes in terms of starts they are not permitted but they signed after the agreement came into force so they do.

I find it easiest to look at the "extremes" in these circumstances to see what the actual agreement most likely is. Squad size is limited to 25 permitted players, if new signings don't count then we could have sold any permitted players and just gone and signed 30 plus players from lower leagues/abroad and had a squad as big as we liked within the wages limits. This would arguably be a way around the regulations, so making any signing for the first team a permitted player makes sense.

That is why:

a) Liam Moore has taken John Clarke's squad place (Clarke has not started 3 Champ games but still was a permitted player)
b) we signed a handful of players who we made clear were only eligible for the U23s this year, else they would have also been classed as a permitted player - though the rules allow them to still play cup games without that counting towards the squad.

So the 25 players is made up of 2 distinct groups - players at the club prior to the agreement who meet the apps criteria and those who joined and declared eligible for the first team regardless of number of apps at any level.

Just out of interest, if we had an academy player who started 3 league games during the season, would they then be part of our 25-man squad?

For instance, we have a 25-man squad as it is now, but if John Clarke happened to make 3 league starts between now and the end of the season, would that make him part of the permitted players and then make it 26? Which we can't have? Just curious that's all.

I'm not 100% but IIRC if they are u21 and were at the club prior to the agreement, they would not count. Clarke counted anyway as we signed him later.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jan 2023 18:36

That seems the most logical explanation

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Feb 2023 08:44

Reading have submitted their squads for the remainder of the season to the FL

Senior Squad

1. BOUZANIS, Dean
  2. CARROLL, Andy
  3. CASADEI, Cesare
  4. DANN, Scott
  5. EJARIA, Ovie
  6. FORNAH, Tyrese
  7. GUINNESS-WALKER, Nesta
  8. HENDRICK, Jeff
  9. HOILETT, Junior
  10. HOLMES, Tom
  11. HUTCHINSON. Same
  12. INCE, Tom
  13. JOAO, Lucas
  14. LONG, Shane
  15. LOUM, Mamadou
  16. LUMLEY, Joe
  17. MBENGUE, Amadou
  18. MCINTYRE, Tom
  19. MEITE, Yakou
  20. MOORE, Liam
  21. RAHMAN, Baba
  22. SARR, Naby
  23. YIADOM, Andy

Reading U21 squad - players out on loan are included...

1. ABBEY, Nelson
  2. ABDEL SALEM, Hamid
  3. ABREFA, Kelvin
  4. AKANDE, Adrian
  5. ANDRESSON, Jokull
  6. AZEEZ, Femi
  7. BOYCE-CLARKE, Coniah
  8. BRADBURY, Oliver
  9. BURNETT, Ethan
  10. CAMARA, Mamadi
  11. CLARKE, Jahmari
  12. CLARKE, John
  13. COLLINS, Harvey
  14. CRAIG, Michael
  15. DORSETT, Jeriel
  16. EHIBHATIOMHAN, Kelvin
  17. GISCOMBE, Ajani
  18. OSORIO, Claudio
  19. GREEN, Josh
  20. HOLZMAN, Louie
  21. JAMBANG, Ayyuba
  22. KANU, Abraham
  23. LEAVY, Kian
  24. MELVIN-LAMBERT, Nahum
  25. PAUL, Sam
  26. PURCELL, Benn
  27. ROWLEY, Matt
  28. SCOTT, Rashawn
  29. SENGA-NGOYI, Jack
  30. TETEK, Dejan

Don't think this will have any bearing on the 25 man squad that the FL limits the club to using in the league, be nice if it did though.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 09 Feb 2023 10:13

Sutekh Reading have submitted their squads for the remainder of the season to the FL

Senior Squad

1. BOUZANIS, Dean
  2. CARROLL, Andy
  3. CASADEI, Cesare
  4. DANN, Scott
  5. EJARIA, Ovie
  6. FORNAH, Tyrese
  8. HENDRICK, Jeff
  9. HOILETT, Junior
  10. HOLMES, Tom
  11. HUTCHINSON. Same
  12. INCE, Tom
  13. JOAO, Lucas
  14. LONG, Shane
  15. LOUM, Mamadou
  16. LUMLEY, Joe
  17. MBENGUE, Amadou
  18. MCINTYRE, Tom
  19. MEITE, Yakou
  20. MOORE, Liam
  21. RAHMAN, Baba
  22. SARR, Naby
  23. YIADOM, Andy

1. ABBEY, Nelson
  2. ABDEL SALEM, Hamid
  3. ABREFA, Kelvin
  4. AKANDE, Adrian
  5. ANDRESSON, Jokull
  6. AZEEZ, Femi
  7. BOYCE-CLARKE, Coniah
  8. BRADBURY, Oliver
  9. BURNETT, Ethan
  10. CAMARA, Mamadi
  11. CLARKE, Jahmari
  12. CLARKE, John
  13. COLLINS, Harvey
  14. CRAIG, Michael
  15. DORSETT, Jeriel
  17. GISCOMBE, Ajani
  18. OSORIO, Claudio
  19. GREEN, Josh
  20. HOLZMAN, Louie
  21. JAMBANG, Ayyuba
  22. KANU, Abraham
  23. LEAVY, Kian
  25. PAUL, Sam
  26. PURCELL, Benn
  27. ROWLEY, Matt
  28. SCOTT, Rashawn
  29. SENGA-NGOYI, Jack
  30. TETEK, Dejan

Don't think this will have any bearing on the 25 man squad that the FL limits the club to using in the league, be nice if it did though.

Understand that with Leavy going out on loan the club will request to the EFL to sign an out of contract player until the end of the season. Watch this space

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 Feb 2023 11:10

From U23 squad the following seem to be missing:

Stickland
Maunder
Nyarko

Think all still around as Stickland was injured a long time ago, but thought I read he was on his way back. Maunder is just coming back from a long injury and Nyarko recently went out on loan.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 09 Feb 2023 11:49

Michael Stickland is on the list in the get reading article (right at the bottom, above Tetek):

Reading FC submit squad list for remainder of Championship season after end of transfer window - Berkshire Live (getreading.co.uk)
https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... p-26190544

Also, I was wondering who the 2 players were that are on the FPL 25 man list but not on this squad list - guess Tetek is one (though listed as an U21 player), who is the other
Last edited by morganb on 09 Feb 2023 11:51, edited 1 time in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Feb 2023 11:50

gazzer, loyal royal
Sutekh Reading have submitted their squads for the remainder of the season to the FL

Senior Squad

1. BOUZANIS, Dean
  2. CARROLL, Andy
  3. CASADEI, Cesare
  4. DANN, Scott
  5. EJARIA, Ovie
  6. FORNAH, Tyrese
  8. HENDRICK, Jeff
  9. HOILETT, Junior
  10. HOLMES, Tom
  11. HUTCHINSON. Same
  12. INCE, Tom
  13. JOAO, Lucas
  14. LONG, Shane
  15. LOUM, Mamadou
  16. LUMLEY, Joe
  17. MBENGUE, Amadou
  18. MCINTYRE, Tom
  19. MEITE, Yakou
  20. MOORE, Liam
  21. RAHMAN, Baba
  22. SARR, Naby
  23. YIADOM, Andy

1. ABBEY, Nelson
  2. ABDEL SALEM, Hamid
  3. ABREFA, Kelvin
  4. AKANDE, Adrian
  5. ANDRESSON, Jokull
  6. AZEEZ, Femi
  7. BOYCE-CLARKE, Coniah
  8. BRADBURY, Oliver
  9. BURNETT, Ethan
  10. CAMARA, Mamadi
  11. CLARKE, Jahmari
  12. CLARKE, John
  13. COLLINS, Harvey
  14. CRAIG, Michael
  15. DORSETT, Jeriel
  17. GISCOMBE, Ajani
  18. OSORIO, Claudio
  19. GREEN, Josh
  20. HOLZMAN, Louie
  21. JAMBANG, Ayyuba
  22. KANU, Abraham
  23. LEAVY, Kian
  25. PAUL, Sam
  26. PURCELL, Benn
  27. ROWLEY, Matt
  28. SCOTT, Rashawn
  29. SENGA-NGOYI, Jack
  30. TETEK, Dejan

Understand that with Leavy going out on loan the club will request to the EFL to sign an out of contract player until the end of the season. Watch this space

Interesting. I would be pleasently surprised if they allow that but appears we have space and if we have wage space they may feel sorry for us.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 09 Feb 2023 14:59

morganb Michael Stickland is on the list in the get reading article (right at the bottom, above Tetek):

Reading FC submit squad list for remainder of Championship season after end of transfer window - Berkshire Live (getreading.co.uk)
https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... p-26190544

Also, I was wondering who the 2 players were that are on the FPL 25 man list but not on this squad list - guess Tetek is one (though listed as an U21 player), who is the other

Azeez and Abrefa I think.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 24 Feb 2023 09:16

Nesta Guinness-Walker on potentially staying at #ReadingFC:

“I've got an option at the end of this year. I have loved my time at the club and it has been going well for me. It is a great opportunity and I have really embraced it.”

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... t-26315940

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Feb 2023 09:28

morganb Nesta Guinness-Walker on potentially staying at #ReadingFC:

“I've got an option at the end of this year. I have loved my time at the club and it has been going well for me. It is a great opportunity and I have really embraced it.”

With Rahman being injured, this is his time to prove his worth. He should get more opportunities, if he doesn't then that will probably tell us whereabouts he is with the club. Should he get more minutes and starts then it's down to him to show he can earn another year.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Feb 2023 09:38

Considering his lack of experience at the level and age, think he has done more than enough to give him another year

It’d be nice to see him have a strong end to the season though

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 24 Feb 2023 09:40

Decent enough, cheap back up option. No brainer to re-sign him if the price is right.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Feb 2023 09:41

Hound Considering his lack of experience at the level and age, think he has done more than enough to give him another year

Yep, certainly worth at least another year, probably 2 given his age and likely low wages.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Feb 2023 10:01

YorkshireRoyal99

With Rahman being injured, this is his time to prove his worth. He should get more opportunities, if he doesn't then that will probably tell us whereabouts he is with the club. Should he get more minutes and starts then it's down to him to show he can earn another year.

"Should" being the operative word, can see Ince deciding to play McIntyre in that role probably starting v Blackpool.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Feb 2023 10:05

Hound Considering his lack of experience at the level and age, think he has done more than enough to give him another year

Yes. I fear he won't though, because Ince will continue to set us up to have 35% possession and spend almost no time with the ball at feet in the oppostion half. All positivity coached out of him.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Feb 2023 10:19

Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99

"Should" being the operative word, can see Ince deciding to play McIntyre in that role probably starting v Blackpool.

So can I, or I can see TMac playing the majority of games at LB/LWB which doesn't really help him. Having said that, if that was to be the case I'm not sure what that says about NGW. Still deserves a chance though and he's got it now for the "long-term".

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Feb 2023 10:51

YorkshireRoyal99
Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99

So can I, or I can see TMac playing the majority of games at LB/LWB which doesn't really help him. Having said that, if that was to be the case I'm not sure what that says about NGW. Still deserves a chance though and he's got it now for the "long-term".

Wouldn't necessarily reflect on NGW, more the completely negative tactics of the manager. Really should not be playing TMac at left (wing) back against sides languishing around (and below) Reading in the table.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Feb 2023 10:58

Shouldn't really be playing anyone at left wing back imo.

If he switches to a back four there's an argument to be made for McIntyre at LB ahead of NGW, as he's a solid defender who is fairly comfortable on the ball. Particularly against better sides (who don't have loads of pace down the flanks). And NGW's defending is.the weaker part of his game.

But NGW is the only left wing back at the club. He's the only one with the pace and energy to get up and down that flank enough to play that position. Playing anyone at LWB ahead of him outside of catastrophic loss of form is poor.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Feb 2023 11:10

Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99
Sutekh

Wouldn't necessarily reflect on NGW, more the completely negative tactics of the manager. Really should not be playing TMac at left (wing) back against sides languishing around (and below) Reading in the table.

Well that's where I think it would. If the first option is to play a CB at L(W)B, it shows where NGW is in the thoughts of Ince and the team.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Feb 2023 11:28

YorkshireRoyal99
Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99

Well that's where I think it would. If the first option is to play a CB at L(W)B, it shows where NGW is in the thoughts of Ince and the team.

Which reflects more on their judgement than his ability.

1554 posts
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 11:54