MATCHWATCH : Blackburn Rovers (h)

279 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackburn Rovers (h)

by NathStPaul » 15 Aug 2022 09:51

Gus the teenage cow Have we got what it takes?

To lose 5-0?

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 15 Aug 2022 09:52

NathStPaul
Gus the teenage cow Have we got what it takes?

To lose 5-0?

No, to get a result, any result!!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 15 Aug 2022 10:07

I just don`t believe the current CB pairing of Holmes and McIntyre have what it takes to keep Brereton and Gallagher out. either of them could be ok partnering an experienced CB, but together it`s a big no no from me.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Aug 2022 10:23

Very mildly interesting but apparently (Twitter so caveats apply) Blackburn have the lowest Xg in the div

We’re about 9th

Obvs it doesn’t mean loads but would suggest Blackburn won’t stay top for too long

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 15 Aug 2022 10:25

I would set up to play as the away team. Sit back, keep tight and frustrate. Only thing I would change is that we play as a flat 5 at the back, dont get adventurous. Personnel / injuries will dictate who plays where - there is still plenty of time for more injuries to happen.

Would be a great boost to keep a clean sheet....even if its for 45 minutes. At least the players will still think they're in the game and mentally will draw confidence from that.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 15 Aug 2022 10:26

Hound Very mildly interesting but apparently (Twitter so caveats apply) Blackburn have the lowest Xg in the div

We’re about 9th

Obvs it doesn’t mean loads but would suggest Blackburn won’t stay top for too long

That was us in Pauno`s first season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Aug 2022 10:49

Hound Very mildly interesting but apparently (Twitter so caveats apply) Blackburn have the lowest Xg in the div

We’re about 9th

No they do, as someone else pointed out they have a 60% conversion rate on shots on target at the moment - that just doesn't hold over a period of time - they have been set up to defend solidly and be clinical with the few chances they get.

Looking at their games - QPR 1-0 win - goal was a 30 yarder

Swansea (a) W 3-0 - first from 18 yards after turning the ball over high up the pitch, 2nd a smash on a slight angle from about 17 yards, last was a bit of class from Brereton-Diaz - how Swansea didn't score 2 or 3 themselves though I don't know.

WBA 2-1 - both goals from outside the area, 2nd probably on the 18 yd line - should have been at least 1 down before they scored.

So to date, they haven't really created a decent chance, or certainly not taken one. Half their goals have been from shots outside the box - that doesn't continue. There isn't much to be scared of, bar the talents of BBD, it is a winnable game but we simply cannot afford to give them space 20 yards out or fall behind in the first 10.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Aug 2022 10:56

I know people have the views on XG and maybe rightly so, but it’s worth a look - footy stats.org

Blackburn actually are 20/24 for XG not bottom with 0.9 per game. Defensively they are top with 0.75

By contrast we are 7th on XG with 1.47 and 10th defensively with 1.17 expected goals against

Strangely against Rotherham we actually had 1.58 to their 1.4. Though no doubts they dropped off their effort a bit after scoring 4

Probably shows a few things which we already knew. We’re making a lot of silly mistakes again to concede and not converting the chances we should. But other aspects of the game aren’t too bad

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Aug 2022 13:07

Hound I know people have the views on XG and maybe rightly so, but it’s worth a look - footy stats.org

Blackburn actually are 20/24 for XG not bottom with 0.9 per game. Defensively they are top with 0.75

By contrast we are 7th on XG with 1.47 and 10th defensively with 1.17 expected goals against

Strangely against Rotherham we actually had 1.58 to their 1.4. Though no doubts they dropped off their effort a bit after scoring 4

Probably shows a few things which we already knew. We’re making a lot of silly mistakes again to concede and not converting the chances we should. But other aspects of the game aren’t too bad

Well at least 1 of their goals would struggle to be scored in 1 in 1000 efforts.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Aug 2022 08:19

Naby Sarr needs to be signed by midday today to be involved tomorrow, happy days, looking like the same defence again, what could possibly go wrong against one of the leagues most prolific marksman.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Aug 2022 10:01

Looks like I may be attending my first game in nearly 6 years tomorrow as I happen to be in the area at the same time a game is on.

We won the last one I was at, so fingers crossed I'm a good omen.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Aug 2022 10:08

Stranded Looks like I may be attending my first game in nearly 6 years tomorrow as I happen to be in the area at the same time a game is on.

Enjoy Stranded!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Aug 2022 10:55

Blackburn will be without defenders Scott Wharton, Hayden Carter and Sam Barnes through injury, 17 year old Ash Philips will therefore continue at centre back after debuting v WBA.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 Aug 2022 11:04

Blackburn aren't all that. We'll grab a valiant draw.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Aug 2022 11:20

Stranded Looks like I may be attending my first game in nearly 6 years tomorrow as I happen to be in the area at the same time a game is on.

Nice, hope you enjoy the evening

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Aug 2022 11:21

Sutekh Blackburn will be without defenders Scott Wharton, Hayden Carter and Sam Barnes through injury, 17 year old Ash Philips will therefore continue at centre back after debuting v WBA.

Stick Long on him must surely be the plan

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 16 Aug 2022 11:48

windermereROYAL Naby Sarr needs to be signed by midday today to be involved tomorrow, happy days, looking like the same defence again, what could possibly go wrong against one of the leagues most prolific marksman.

I hope I am wrong but I wouldn’t be surprised if we can’t sign Sarr. Seen a few things on Twitter about Puscas playing hardball over his salary. We really need Sarr to sign and Puscas gone so fingers crossed.

I wonder how many more players we could add if we had no Puscas and Moore? I dread to think what will happen if we can’t do anymore transfer business in this window. I know that’s extremely unlikely but never say never.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Aug 2022 12:25

blythspartan
windermereROYAL Naby Sarr needs to be signed by midday today to be involved tomorrow, happy days, looking like the same defence again, what could possibly go wrong against one of the leagues most prolific marksman.

I hope I am wrong but I wouldn’t be surprised if we can’t sign Sarr. Seen a few things on Twitter about Puscas playing hardball over his salary. We really need Sarr to sign and Puscas gone so fingers crossed.

I wonder how many more players we could add if we had no Puscas and Moore? I dread to think what will happen if we can’t do anymore transfer business in this window. I know that’s extremely unlikely but never say never.

Twitter ? It’s been discussed all over here as well ! And Bowen commented at the forum (not specifically about salary but about Puscas being set on what he wanted to do).
We couldn’t add many more players. We are only allowed 25 ! I would think without them on the wages we would have been more likely to go for a different type of player rather than more, although we’d still have been looking at players available for nothing.
Much less important than signing more players is getting and keeping the ones we have fit....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Aug 2022 16:29

blythspartan

Well, Moore is easily 3 maybe 4 and Puscas is in the region of 2. So 5 to 6 extra players, or maybe 3-4 higher quality ones.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 16 Aug 2022 18:11

Sky red button seems to have changed in 22/23- none on this midweek ??

279 posts