145 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Middlesbrough (h)

by Sutekh » 17 Aug 2022 22:12

When : Saturday 20 August 2022, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

I hate this fixture. Ever since I first experienced a game against Middlesbrough back in the 80s it’s largely turned out to be nothing but a dour, tedious affair in which Reading have struggled badly and then lost. In fact the only thing good about the game is that it’s utterly unmemorable and usually forgotten within 24 hours or so.

The ‘boro haven’t had a particularly good start to the season but I’m sure Reading won’t let that continue to bother Middlesbrough for too long. Duncan Watmore, Chuba Akpom, Matt Crooks and Johnny Howson are the main ones to watch plus Chris Wilder picked up Alex Mowatt on loan from WBA over the summer so there is a pretty useful squad making its way to Berkshire for this one.

Middlesbrough have three points from 4 games so far but a 91st minute equaliser for Stoke last time out means they’re still looking for their first league win. Reading meanwhile are unpredictable and veer from the very bad to the very good so god alone knows what we’ll get for this one.

Joe Lumley is expected to be missing for the game given he is on loan from the ‘boro so a chance for Dean Bouzanis to show what he can do is probably on the cards. After Joao’s surprise return to the squad on Wednesday, Paul Ince actually has a team selection issue to consider though it is only the one as the other 10 are likely to pick themselves as usual.

Referee

James Linington

Previously....

19 Mar 22 > Reading 1-0 Blackburn Rovers
15 Jan 22 > Middlesbrough 2-1 Reading
09 Apr 21 > Watford 2-0 Reading
06 Mar 21 > Reading 3-0 Sheffield Wednesday
29 Jan 21 > Reading 3-1 Bournemouth
04 Jul 20 > Luton Town 0-5 Reading
28 Jan 20 > Reading 0-1 Bristol City
26 Dec 19 > Reading 1-0 Queens Park Rangers
03 Aug 19 > Reading 1-3 Sheffield Wednesday
08 Dec 18 > Reading 0-2 Sheffield United
03 Nov 18 > Reading 3-2 Bristol City
06 Mar 18 > Reading 1-1 Bolton Wanderers
02 Jan 18 > Reading 0-2 Birmingham City
09 Sep 17 > Reading 0-1 Bristol City
08 Apr 17 > Norwich City 7-1 Reading
24 Sep 16 > Reading 1-0 Huddersfield Town
21 Nov 15 > Reading 2-1 Bolton Wanderers
02 May 15 > Derby County 0-3 Reading
28 Dec 14 > Reading 2-1 Norwich City
21 Nov 14 > Cardiff City 2-1 Reading
12 Aug 14 > Reading 3-1 Newport County (League Cup)
10 Sep 11 > Reading 0-2 Watford
30 Apr 11 > Coventry City 0-0 Reading
22 Jan 11 > Reading 1-1 Hull City
02 May 10 > Reading 4-0 Preston North End
30 Jan 10 > Reading 1-0 Barnsley

Historically

19 previous seasons, all bar 3 since 1987, so 19 previous visits from the ‘boro. Those 19 games haven’t worked out all that well so far with 6 wins, 6 draws and 7 defeats. The last 5 home games against ‘boro have provided Reading with 3 points, 2 goals and 4 defeats so there really isn’t very much to live up to here - which is just as well given the state of the club defensively.

So all in all not really a game to look forward to.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Middlesbrough (h)

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Aug 2022 22:25

Chances of Hoilett or NGW being out injured? Hoilett took a heavy knock and NGW sat down before going off today.

Both could be a bit squeeky bum.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 17 Aug 2022 22:46

Snowflake Royal Chances of Hoilett or NGW being out injured? Hoilett took a heavy knock and NGW sat down before going off today.

Camara and Abrefa your time has come!!!!! :D

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 17 Aug 2022 22:48

Sutek must be forgetting our opening home game in the Prem

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 17 Aug 2022 23:00

2-0 Reading! Hendricks and Joao 8)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Aug 2022 07:52

Be nice to see Meite, Hutchinson and Dann back on the bench. They must be close surely

Think Hoilett and NGW will be ok, both walked off fine

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Aug 2022 08:01

Hound Be nice to see Meite, Hutchinson and Dann back on the bench. They must be close surely

It's a little hard to see how anyone else gets into the XI after that... even the superb Joao would change the team dynamic somewhat.

Maybe Ejaria for Hendrick, but again, changes the dynamic. Meite for Hoilett, but again changes the dynamic.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Aug 2022 08:37

Snowflake Royal
Hound Be nice to see Meite, Hutchinson and Dann back on the bench. They must be close surely

It's a little hard to see how anyone else gets into the XI after that... even the superb Joao would change the team dynamic somewhat.

Maybe Ejaria for Hendrick, but again, changes the dynamic. Meite for Hoilett, but again changes the dynamic.

First team looks fine generally. Wouldn’t change a lot from yesterday. Sarr over one of TMc or Holmes probably if he’s any good

But yeah difficult to argue changing anyone otherwise. But it gives us options - go a goal down you can throw on Meite, Joao etc.

Also allows us to keep the high energy game going knowing there are decent replacements on the bench for anyone flagging

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Aug 2022 10:07

Same team if fit, ease Joao back in but can see the temptation to start him and bring Long on at the hour mark.

Couple more bodies on the bench would be great and am absolutely not even considering Sarr, as he'll be nowhere near the squad unless the Puscas saga finally ends allowing him to finally be registered but even if he is, he'll be on the bench.

Hoilett and NGW both looked fine as neither were brought off immediately and came off comfortably.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 18 Aug 2022 10:28

Snowflake Royal Chances of Hoilett or NGW being out injured? Hoilett took a heavy knock and NGW sat down before going off today.

Long also was feeling his back and would be a big miss for all his chasing down and general physical presence both on the ground and in the air.
Joao coming back would obviously be a plus in terms of goal potential but if he replaces Long then part of our pressing game disappears.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Aug 2022 10:28

Despite their slow start Boro fans seem upbeat about their sides chances this season. They seem to think performances haven’t been rewarded.
A draw would be a perfectly decent result for us.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Aug 2022 10:40

Would be delighted with 4 points from the two games so would also take a point here

Boro do seem to have played ok. One of those teams I reckon who’ll make a few big signings In the next week or so and be considerably stronger from September

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 18 Aug 2022 10:46

Would normally take a draw here but after last night I`ll be disappointed if we don`t win. maybe I`m setting the bar too high, a draw won`t have me throwing myself of a tall building.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Aug 2022 10:56

Assuming no more injuries it has to be exactly the same team and set up. I’m glad we have home games back to back it gives us a chance to build on what we saw last night. I don’t mind if we aren’t quite as good but I really want to see that same level of desire and determination, intensity and pressing.

I’m sure we will have a stinker and all come crashing back down to earth but who knows!

mikey_1871

by mikey_1871 » 18 Aug 2022 11:06

Would definitely stick with Long provided he pulls up ok - was clearly knackered when he went off but I think the going down on the floor before he went off was just a bit of time wasting as he was going off anyway. Was walking around ok at the end. He was a constant pest for their defence last night which wore them down, then we had the luxury of bringing Joao on to finish things off.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Aug 2022 11:16

mikey_1871 Would definitely stick with Long provided he pulls up ok - was clearly knackered when he went off but I think the going down on the floor before he went off was just a bit of time wasting as he was going off anyway. Was walking around ok at the end. He was a constant pest for their defence last night which wore them down, then we had the luxury of bringing Joao on to finish things off.

I also thought the same :)

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Aug 2022 11:17

A point would be ok in this. Another win would be great with 2 tough away fixtures up next

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Aug 2022 11:18

mikey_1871 Would definitely stick with Long provided he pulls up ok - was clearly knackered when he went off but I think the going down on the floor before he went off was just a bit of time wasting as he was going off anyway. Was walking around ok at the end. He was a constant pest for their defence last night which wore them down, then we had the luxury of bringing Joao on to finish things off.

Long will be fine for Saturday

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Aug 2022 14:01

Royal_jimmy

Long will be fine for Saturday

Not much to go on but he was in the hotel chatting with Jem Karacan afterwards and seemed absolutely fine - felt more than Long was milking things a bit to waste a few more seconds before Joao coming on - was clearly planned to give the latter 20 or so minutes.

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 18 Aug 2022 15:01

Anyone know a good place to park near the ground, apart from the official car parks ? I previously used that plant hire place at the start of Bennet Road, but I am fairly sure they no longer do match day parking. Thanks in advance

145 posts