Let’s give Dai some credit

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Let’s give Dai some credit

by Brogue » 20 Aug 2022 18:12

I think everyone to a man was beginning to get if not totally fed up with Dai and his piss poor management of our club.

But credit where it’s due, he’s seems to have brought the right man in in Paul Ince.

The two directors in Bowen and that guy from spurs

We seems to have shifted from using Kia as an advisory.

Brought in like Noel Hunt , and Although we’ve lost cat 1 academy status we’ve made a few appointments and it looks like we will be going for it again at the earliest

Yes, we should never have been in the position we are in and some foolish perhaps naive mistakes had got us into a whole heap of mess. But we all make mistakes and this is his first try at owning a football club.

Today I saw this picture. Who would have thought we would be seeing pictures like this March/April time.

He seems to have learned from his mistakes he’s recaptured the fans interest, communication with the fans is better. Long May it continue. Well done Dai

Linden Jones' Tash

Re: Let’s give Dai some credit

by Linden Jones' Tash » 20 Aug 2022 18:36

I thought he had already owned a club in China and a club in Belgium....

It's still August, things can change very quickly. If we stabilize this season, don't be surprised if there is another splurge to try and get promotion to the PL.

The PL is the only game in town for Billionaire owners...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Aug 2022 19:26

Shouldn’t have binned Bowen but has started fixing things by bringing him back

Ince - don’t quite know how he ended up on our radar but done a decent job so far

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Aug 2022 19:49

Hound
Ince - don’t quite know how he ended up on our radar but done a decent job so far

Probably because his son was playing for us and he was watching him play every week.....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Aug 2022 20:46

Linden Jones' Tash I thought he had already owned a club in China and a club in Belgium....

It's still August, things can change very quickly. If we stabilize this season, don't be surprised if there is another splurge to try and get promotion to the PL.

Correct, certainly not his first club. Believe his other(s) went out of business.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 20 Aug 2022 21:09

Too early to say whether we've turned a corner however he has put a lot of money into the club and I hope the club start to challenge regularly for promotion again soon to keep him interested.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 20 Aug 2022 21:09

Snowflake Royal
Linden Jones' Tash I thought he had already owned a club in China and a club in Belgium....

Correct, certainly not his first club. Believe his other(s) went out of business.

Yup they did

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 20 Aug 2022 22:06

So, so true he is not interested in the club's history, heritage, or supporters only in it for their own interests and self-indulgence.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 20 Aug 2022 22:18

karbota

So, so true he is not interested in the club's history, heritage, or supporters only in it for their own interests and self-indulgence.

Yeah your going to have to help me out on this one. What exactly does Dai get out of owning Reading FC?

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 20 Aug 2022 22:20

karbota

As opposed to other club owners? Even SJM wasn't in it for altruistic reasons.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Aug 2022 12:39

Brogue
karbota

Yeah your going to have to help me out on this one. What exactly does Dai get out of owning Reading FC?

This doesn't just apply to Dai though, this will apply to most owners across the top 2 divisions especially and even now a little bit further down the ladder as well. For a lot of owners, it's money they can use to build a project, for some, it's making a profit from their football club and for others it's for the love of the game/club.

Dai has spent a lot of money, it has been silly, but there's a project in place. Stupidly trying to get to the PL didn't exactly help, but we've redeveloped the training ground, saw our academy do well up until this season but we are working to get that back to Category One and even had redevelopment plans in place for the stadium as well to become Royal Elm Park which is obviously some years away.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Aug 2022 12:43

The transfer embargo does Dai a favour. Our losses going forward should be a lot lower.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Aug 2022 12:52

Brogue
karbota

Prestige, name recognition in the UK, finances safely outside of China, a vanity project.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 Aug 2022 14:11

It looks like Dai has learned his lesson but as with everything time will tell. He chased the dream of the Premiership by throwing money at it but without any structure or plan in place it was doomed to fail. I think Man Utd are suffering from similar issues and they have a huge rebuild job on their hands.

Pretty sure I read that we are looking at the way Brighton have achieved success and are trying to follow a similar business model. I do wonder if the influx of youngsters let go by other clubs is the start of things to come.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Aug 2022 17:53

DIDn’t Brighton essentially rely on a rich owner to pour money in ?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Aug 2022 18:30

Nameless DIDn’t Brighton essentially rely on a rich owner to pour money in ?

They certainly did

Tbf since they’ve got the prem they’ve played it very well with some excellent signings

Brentford had a decent model but it took a long while to really get right and bear fruit

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Aug 2022 19:38

Snowflake Royal
Brogue
karbota

Prestige, name recognition in the UK, finances safely outside of China, a vanity project.

His sister is the one with made the money though she gave a large % of her wealth to her brother. She is also the the one with passion for football.

Anonymity does them no favours. Hstory suggests that winning is their only goal. We are billionaires so **** the rules. We'll do what we want,

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 21 Aug 2022 22:26

The only time I've heard anyone mention the sister is a story about how she was at a game and was more interested in her phone than the football.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Aug 2022 10:01

Isn't our academy no longer cat1?

The one thing we spent years of sacrifice not investing in the squad but investing there instead and now it's no longer a top academy?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Aug 2022 10:06

Millsy Isn't our academy no longer cat1?

The one thing we spent years of sacrifice not investing in the squad but investing there instead and now it's no longer a top academy?

Don’t think we’ve invested in the Academy at the expense of the first team. Work out what we have made from sales of Academy players and savings as a result of Academy players playing in the first team….
Spending on the Academy is excluded from FFP. Calculations as well.
And we’ll be Cat 1 again next season anyway.