164 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (h)

by Sutekh » 10 Sep 2022 10:15

When : Wednesday 14th September 2022, 8pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Home again already, barely noticed what happened at Watford but at least Reading didn't lose so can go into this one against Sunderland (and just what sort of planks line up Reading v Sunderland as a MIDWEEK fixture) with a few more days to get people off the treatment table.

Sunderland won promotion via the playoffs last season to finally end their longest sojourn (4 years) in the third division of English football. Since returning they're doing quite well and are currently in 8th place not that, given their resource, anyone has them down to struggle and make a quick return whence they came. General expectation seems to be consistent in that they'll consolidate nice and comfortably somewhere around mid table.

Despite promotion there was a large amount of change in the Sunderland squad over the summer with Aiden McGeady heading off to Hibernian, Jack McIntyre to Larne, Will Grigg to MK Dons, William Harris to Gateshead, Arbenit Xhemajli went to Vaduz and Cieran Dunne departed for Cove Rangers.

In return 6 players arrived on permanent deals; Dan Ballard (centre back from Arsenal), winger Leon Dajaku converted his previous loan deal from Union Berlin, West Ham central defender Aji Aleese, spare keeper Alex Bass from Portsmouth, young defender Callum Wilson from Shrewsbury and probably the biggest coup in landing midfielder Jack Clarke from Spurs. In addition to these signings the striker Ellis Simms arrived on loan from Everton together with loans for winger Amad Diallo from Manchester United and midfielder Edouard Michut from Paris St Germain.

The Black Cats have been proving rather useful away from home with 2 of their 3 wins being collected on the road at Stoke City and the currently high flying Bristol City so this game is probably going to be the most difficult test for Reading's home form so far. The defeats for Sunderland in the league so far have been at Middlesbrough (last time out), at Sheffield United and at home to Norwich so this bunch are not going to be easy pickings and only the very best of attitudes from Reading will stand a chance of taking the day.

Yet despite a decent start and good return from the opposition played so far the board at Sunderland allowed manager Alex Neil to leave for Stoke and replaced him with Tony Mowbray who has been in situ for barely 2 weeks so this is going to throw things up in the air and not just for Sunderland as their dynamic of established (and successful) way of doing things changes but also for Reading as their intended game plan will need to be carefully revisited.

The big threat is Scottish international Ross Stewart who pretty much single handedly wrecked defences in the third division last season by netting 24 goals from 46 starts and he's already showing signs he's going to do it all over again given the 5 goal return from 7 starts already recorded. And he might not be the only one brewing as the aforementioned loanee striker Ellis Simms has bagged 3 goals from 7 appearances. In addition I presume we already know all about Jack Clarke from his Leeds days in this division and he has hit the back of the net twice from his 8 appearances in the league so far.

Within a week or so of having a day where it looked like the club might have an injury list with just 4 names, the club are back up to 8 wounded. Currently receiving treatment are 1- Scott Dann, 2 - Liam Moore, 3 - Shane Long, 4- Ovie Ejaria, 5- Yakou Meite, 6 - Jokull Andresson, 7 - Mamadou Loum and 8 - Naby Sarr. Hopefully, as suggested above, the postponement of the Watford game will enable a little more time for recovery and no-one else will go down with something in training :roll: I'm not expecting anyone in particular to be back but Shane Long and maybe Yakou Meite and Ovie Ejaria probably have the best chances.

Meanwhile Sunderland have a bit of a central defender issue developing as Dan Ballard has already broken his foot and is out until after the World Cup. In addition Dennis Cirkin was injured in their last game at Middlesbrough leaving just Danny Batth, Bailey Wright and the inexperienced youngster Aji Aleese to take the the central defensive slots that are currently being favoured by Tony Mowbray in his early days at the club. In addition to Ballard and Cirkin, Edouard Michut is sidelined until after the international break along with Niall Huggins. However the threat of Ross Stewart is off the menu as he is likely to be out until November with a thigh problem picked up in the pre-match warm up for the Middlesbrough game.

Lastly, there will most likely be a minute's silence for the Queen (and another at Wigan on 17th Sep) plus the game is live on Sky. Reading have won just 8 of the last 31 of their games played live on the telly which isn’t all that good really so maximum effort and organisation will be required. The alternative view though is the fact that Reading are actually on a 100% run of 1 win from 1 live telly game.

Referee

Matthew “1 Reading win from 8 games” Donohue

Previously

30 Apr 22 > Reading 0-1 West Bromwich Albion
16 Feb 22 > Peterborough United 0-0 Reading
07 Aug 21 > Stoke City 3-2 Reading
26 Dec 20 > Reading 2-1 Luton Town
12 Feb 20 > Reading 1-2 West Bromwich Albion
11 Dec 19 > Barnsley 1-1 Reading
21 Sep 19 > Reading 1-2 Blackburn Rovers
10 Aug 19 > Hull City 1-0 Reading

Historically

This is only the 10th league season shared with Sunderland with the first only happening in 1986/87. Of the previous 9 league games in Reading the home side have the upper hand by 5 wins to 2 and by 13 goals to 9. However other than the 4-0 win back in 1997, Reading wins are always 1 goal scrape throughs while if Sunderland win, so far, it is always by 2-0.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Sky
  3. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  4. Ring/text a mate for updates
  5. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  6. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (h)

by South Coast Royal » 10 Sep 2022 10:40

Major bonus of their star man Ross Fisher being injured.
Despite him being out I thought they were the better team at Middlesboro the other night so I doubt this will be a pushover.

Agree with Sutekh-dreadful scheduling and a Saturday fixture would have led to a big crowd with their normal away support.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Sep 2022 11:09

South Coast Royal Major bonus of their star man Ross Fisher being injured.
Despite him being out I thought they were the better team at Middlesboro the other night so I doubt this will be a pushover.

Agree with Sutekh-dreadful scheduling and a Saturday fixture would have led to a big crowd with their normal away support.

Ross Stewart innit.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Sep 2022 12:31

When you putt it that way, they may have lost their main driver and have a fairway to go to iron out any formation issues without him.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Sep 2022 13:09

Looks like Sunderland have sold out their allocation. That’s impressive for a midweek fixture,

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Sep 2022 15:11

Zip Looks like Sunderland have sold out their allocation. That’s impressive for a midweek fixture,

Loads of the buggers live down here.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 Sep 2022 15:23

Zip Looks like Sunderland have sold out their allocation. That’s impressive for a midweek fixture,

It’s not like they have jobs to go to in the morning.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 Sep 2022 17:56

Sunderland typically do have a good following though and are on the up after languishing in League One for a bit.

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 11 Sep 2022 15:16

Is there any danger this match gets postponed? If TVP are having to allocate resources to Windsor and to assist the Met in London, they might struggle to resource this as well - especially if there’s a large SAFC contingent expected.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Sep 2022 19:36

windermereROYAL

Ross Stewart innit.

Yep-I had been looking at the golfers for the BMW at Wentworth. :oops:

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Sep 2022 19:37

Franchise FC

When you putt it that way, they may have lost their main driver and have a fairway to go to iron out any formation issues without him.

I refer to my post made just now. :oops: :oops: :D :D

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 11 Sep 2022 20:40

South Coast Royal
Franchise FC

I refer to my post made just now. :oops: :oops: :D :D

Easy mistake to make :wink:

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 12 Sep 2022 10:17

Game on!

The EFL fixture programme will return as scheduled from Tuesday 13 September, with tributes to be paid to Her late Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II at grounds around the country.

https://www.efl.com/news/2022/september ... to-resume/

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Sep 2022 12:27

This will be a tough game, they will always sell out their allocation so they'll be in good voice and I don't doubt the travelling fans will be expecting a result regardless of our position and home form so far.

But certainly our next 2 games are a good chance to get 4/6 points on the board as well.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 13 Sep 2022 12:31

David Prutton predicts Reading to win for the first time this season.

Ill omens indeed.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Sep 2022 12:48

tidus_mi2 David Prutton predicts Reading to win for the first time this season.

Ill omens indeed.

Lump on an away win then.

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 13 Sep 2022 12:58

tidus_mi2 David Pratton predicts Reading to win for the first time this season.

Ill omens indeed.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Sep 2022 09:31

Lumley
Hoilett
Holmes
Hutchinson
Yiadom
Rahman
McIntyre
Hendrick
Fornah
Ince
Joao

Subs

Bouzanis
Long
Ehibhatiomhan
Abrefa
Tetek
Guinness-Walker
Camara

Amadou Mbengue will not be involved in this game as the club still await the relevant international paperwork to be cleared. Reckon the first we’ll see of him is on the bench v Huddersfield.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Sep 2022 09:56

Meite should be involved. Prob bench

Otherwise looks about right

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Sep 2022 10:27

Hound Meite should be involved. Prob bench

Otherwise looks about right

Think Loum will be there somewhere, as Ince said he may have been involved on Saturday, so a few more days may make it more likely. Will make for a much stronger bench if they are both in the 18.

164 posts